• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Uh, are you still talking about wasteland 2 ? (sorry, I power read the thread to catch up on the posts). If so, even in a catastrophic turn of event, 10 hours seems quite pessimistic, we are talking about an RPG, 10 hours would be a world record of shortness. It would make it the Red Faction 2 of RPG, no ?
I'm not too worried about length personally.

Apparently shadowrun returns is only 12 hours or so. That's one of the biggest reasons why I didn't end up buying it after reviews/impressions came out.

Turfster

Apparently shadowrun returns is only 12 hours or so. That's one of the biggest reasons why I didn't end up buying it after reviews/impressions came out.

Yeah. I'll wait for a good sale/more content before I buy Shadowrun Returns.

Does anyone know the length of Monkey Island SE? I've never played it before.

Not sure it's my type of game. Well more like the theme. I remember playing MI3 back in the days and it was pretty good though. Switching back to the classic mode in SE, it definitely looks a lot older.
Uh, Secret of Monkey island is almost 25 years old now.
The special editions were released for the 20th anniversary.
As for length... Depends, really. I mean, I can power through it in a few hours, but then I still remember everything (the 'advantage' of playing the game when my brain was still malleable). It definitely shouldn't take you more than 10 hours tho.

Sarcasm

Those Monkey Island games..I have them. The game beats me in intelligence. And to think..even my wife was all "This looks like a kids game"

So guys.... I just experienced dat feel of 120fps...... Was at my friends house and he has this crazy pc, 4770k, gtx 770, liquid cooled etc etc and damn.....so slick.... Sad thing is.... he only plays Flight Simulator X.........wat..... He's new to PC gaming and plays Battlefield on PC with a controller.......I don't...I couldn't even....

f45.gif
Can you go back after experiencing 120 fps?

valouris

Those Monkey Island games..I have them. The game beats me in intelligence. And to think..even my wife was all "This looks like a kids game"

Well, I wouldn't say it's "intelligence" that they require. Plenty of imagination and humorous rationale I would say are more essential traits required to figure some of the puzzles out. Some others though are almost out of whack :p

gabbo

Man, I'm glad that I re-installed War For Cybertron. I was like "I wonder if I can transform into a jet, fly over to that Autobot, transform back, smash it with the melee attack in mid-air, then transform into a jet again in one fluid chain".

The answer was yes.

That sounds so much fun. What's this going for these days?

Li Kao

I am pretty dead set on making an appreciation thread on Singleplayer Trading Card Games, especially the ones with overworld, a story and/or "quests" etc. Anyone have some to name?

Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon Trading Card Game, Magic the Gathering: Shandalar are probably the prime examples because of the popularity of the real cards. Then there is stuff like Baten Kaitos and Card Hunter. Others?

In your request I don't understand the trading in trading card game. Is trading a must or just a name you give to the genre ? Anyway that question took me back memory lane and I remembered some card game announced on Adrian Werner personal site. Well more like stellar personal site when it was in activity, the thing helped me see hope when PC gaming was in a poor form at the start of last gen.

So it was Six Gun Saga (never played it, good SP ? no idea) : http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/SGS/Six_Gun_Saga.html
And while I was browsing Werner's site (http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/2013-and-beyond/), I noticed Scrolls, Might & Magic : Duel of Champions, and a favorite of mine (never played, one of those must play even if I have little info on it): Card Hunter which just got out of beta. Sort of a D&D game viewed through the lens of the pen & paper combats with cards. Only downside, F2P so could be grindy. Me think the game should be on Steam. I wouldn't want to release a game outside of it these days, visibility and revenues must take a big hit.

But is it even an RPG ? To my defense I'm really interested in the game but didn't really read previews / reviews (don't know, a recent trend of mine, I know I want this or that game, I go auto-blackout). I mean, there is RPG elements but it seems from the little I know about it that it's more of an adventure game with strategic combat.
12 hours seems pretty weak though. One of the first time I will thank my OCD to have decided that the deluxe version was really too pricey and that the normal version was not an option.

Li Kao

Remembering Adrian Werner's site got me thinking. The site was a really nice showcase for PC gaming (one title, one shot, brief description, just pure desire to play). Wouldn't it be rad if some gaffers (plural, the task would be time consuming) banded together and revived the concept ?
With the shitload of indies these days, big and small, the PC exclusives and AAA multiplat, me think it would be glorious.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
In your request I don't understand the trading in trading card game. Is trading a must or just a name you give to the genre ? Anyway that question took me back memory lane and I remembered some card game announced on Adrian Werner personal site. Well more like stellar personal site when it was in activity, the thing helped me see hope when PC gaming was in a poor form at the start of last gen.

So it was Six Gun Saga (never played it, good SP ? no idea) : http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/SGS/Six_Gun_Saga.html
And while I was browsing Werner's site (http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/2013-and-beyond/), I noticed Scrolls, Might & Magic : Duel of Champions, and a favorite of mine (never played, one of those must play even if I have little info on it): Card Hunter which just got out of beta. Sort of a D&D game viewed through the lens of the pen & paper combats with cards. Only downside, F2P so could be grindy. Me think the game should be on Steam. I wouldn't want to release a game outside of it these days, visibility and revenues must take a big hit.

Thanks for these suggestions, will look into SGS and DoC (Card Hunter was already mentioned in my initial post and I absolutely love it already). I probably should have called them Collectible Card Games instead. TCG is just such a dominant term in my head.

Remembering Adrian Werner's site got me thinking. The site was a really nice showcase for PC gaming (one title, one shot, brief description, just pure desire to play). Wouldn't it be rad if some gaffers (plural, the task would be time consuming) banded together and revived the concept ?
With the shitload of indies these days, big and small, the PC exclusives and AAA multiplat, me think it would be glorious.

He has some crazy knowledge database of PC games. He posts here very rarely. I remember him from the teamxbox forums under the username madmartigan. Always enjoyed scrolling through his blog.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Retrovirus has some serious performance issues.. Seems like a really cool game too, what a shame.

edit:: performance seems to be completely random depending on what you're looking at, kinda playable I guess.
Yup, I gave up on playing it on my current rig after 15 minutes. It's the same as Blood Dragon: with everything on min it's still pretty slow, which kinsa ruins the experience.

I can't wait to build a new PC and max out all these games.

It really frustrates me that they're still selling a version of the game without the expansion AND that they're not selling the expansion on its own, only in a pack with the original.

Actually, in the UK at least, they are selling the Immortal Throne expansion by itself, via the package info tab for Titan Quest Gold.

Hmmm... comprehensively beaten.

didamangi

Oh, it's just not linked to regular Titan Quest, it's sold as a separate thing. That's slightly less bad. It's still weird they don't do it as a DLC add-on, given that it's not stand-alone.

I think it came out when these kinds of things were called expansion pack :D

The page state that you need the original Titan Quest to play though.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Oh, it's just not linked to regular Titan Quest, it's sold as a separate thing. That's slightly less bad. It's still weird they don't do it as a DLC add-on, given that it's not stand-alone.

In a (not)related note I'm more angry at Bethesda for always selling New Vegas GOTY cheapter than vanilla Vegas + DLC, I feel like they're punishing me supporting them on release.

Dec

Almost certain they're separate items in your library too.

Yep. You can run the base game if you don't want to play the new content from the expansion for whatever reason. The expansion exe pulls files from the base game directory. Maybe Valve has to have a separate appid or whatever for each game that gets its own folder in steamapps/common?

For anyone playing TQ for the first time, you should really get the fan patch.

DutchNeon

Neo Member
I might just giveaway a CiV5 Gods & Kings DLC through ModBot as the topic for it it pretty easy to understand. Thanks for the link - though not directed to me - epaturun!

Finally bought Borderlands 2 and it's a great game. Seems the BL2 hype already passed my friend list though :(

P.S. Is that NeoGAF steam group still active? Seems kind of dead.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. You can run the base game if you don't want to play the new content from the expansion for whatever reason. The expansion exe pulls files from the base game directory. Maybe Valve has to have a separate appid or whatever for each game that gets its own folder in steamapps/common?

For anyone playing TQ for the first time, you should really get the fan patch.

If I recall correctly doesn't Immortal Throne have the original game too but with improvements ?
I definitely remember there being no reason to play the base game but it has been a while.

Dec

If I recall correctly doesn't Immortal Throne have the original game too but with improvements ?
I definitely remember there being no reason to play the base game but it has been a while.

Yea but the immortal throne folder is 1.4GB while the base game is over 2GB, so the expansion pulls files from the base game directory. Each has to have its own folder due to the way the game works, and I was just thinking maybe each folder in steamapps has to be it's own listing in your library.

No idea if that's true.

So is Titan Quest Gold a good-buy? Even if you play it singleplayer only? And is this only in German language or is it just that in Germany you get that low violence version? http://store.steampowered.com/sub/402/

It is my favorite ARPG of all time, but I don't think I've ever played it single player.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So is Titan Quest Gold a good-buy? Even if you play it singleplayer only? And is this only in German language or is it just that in Germany you get that low violence version? http://store.steampowered.com/sub/402/

One of the best Diablo style games and I only played it in SP, definitely recommended. And you only get the low violence version if you buy it in Germany.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sacred 2 is another good attempt, even though it's pretty janky. It and Divine Divinity are set in big open worlds, which is where Diablo 3's story campaign should have gone. In an alternate universe, Blizzard employees played it and TQ to get ideas for how to move the genre forward instead of backwards like they ended up doing.

Is there anyway to fix Sacred 2's small text? I bought the Gold edition off Amazon for the summer sale but can't play it when the text is microscopic at 1080p.

Titan Quest Gold bought. 256 steam games now and I'm planning to get that Indie Jam 2 from Bundlestars too before it ends. So that would make it 266.. Funny because I was sitting with about 130 games not so long ago..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom