• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I already own Borderlands 2, pre-ordered it and bought the season pass so I have the Mechromancer and the 4 major expansions. Would've liked to get the Psycho Pack 66% off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
disappointed that the BL2 dlc still isn't on sale even with it being the daily

blands2dlc41s8r.jpg

tumblr_mtcg8bWFiS1r2aobgo2_250.gif

Edit: I don't understand why the newer batch is 20c cheaper.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That, plus they're taking measures to keep as strong a hold on PC gaming as they can, and try to expand their control over to the living room, at the expanse of competition.

Which is, you know, normal for a company - they're not a charity - but it doesn't mean it's healthy in the grand scheme of things. The thing is, for some reason, Valve is often immune to criticism, because they are super good at communication and at showering people with incredible sales.
Yup. I wish Valve made bad games, and treat its customers like shit. That's how a good company should be run.

Oh, and a good company doesn't try to expand. It tries to stay as niche as it can, even if they are providing better services and products than their competitors.

The fact that there is a thing called the Tea Party in America proves this premise invalid. I'm sorry.
That only means those kids aren't getting a proper education, not that education doesn't work at all.

The other solution would be rebooting the human race, but that's a little more drastic.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yes, I bought every DLC from Borderlands and it's constant sales taught me to wait for the GOTY edition of Borderlands 2.

I liked the game, but the amount of DLC for Borderlands 2 is just insulting. I'll just wait for the GOTY.

It's worse than that though - the GOTY edition doesn't include any of the cosmetic DLC. So even the GOTY edition isn't "complete".

Tesseract

Banned
so like, is borderlands 2 goty coming soon? i ain't paying $149.78 for the base game + dlc.

wtf gearbox, make some of that shit free.

Tenrius

To brighten someone's day, hopefully.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter (another one) -- MB-E8E3F83E02CB1609 - Taken by Camel Master
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (another one) -- MB-45EC232C40D36A0D - Taken by Spawn
System Shock 2 -- MB-AF31EEF983A067BD - Taken by vermadas
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-8D2073F56D895E6D - Taken by Out_Of_Ammo
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-A8B9C0C4000CFC4E - Taken by ctw0e

Turfster

Gamefly has a couple of 75% off bundles. (No link because their fucking US/UK site shit is annoying as fuck)
  • Doublefine bundle: Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Psychonauts, Stacking
  • Telltale bundle: Walking Dead + 400 days, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Tales of Monkey Island
  • Tomb Raider collection: Tomb Raider 1-6, Tomb Raider Trilogy, Tomb Raider 2013
  • Daedalic bundle: Deponia, Crash on Deponia, Chains of Satinav
  • Asscrud bundle: 1, 2, AssBro, AssRev, 3

Altazor

so I finally caved in and bought XCOM Enemy Unknown after trying the demo for a while. Added to my backlog :D Now I'm debating whether I buy BL2 at that price or wait for the inevitable GOTY compilation with the DLC.

Also, here is my Steam profile if anyone wants to add me to the GAF group, or just add me as a friend, or whatever.

didamangi

By far the most visually stunning and engaging game Ive played on my PC since Crysis 2... 9/10 and Editors Choice award Game Chronicles

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Hydrophobia Prophecy -- MB-11CE73D3DAFA9E33 - Taken by Eanan

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seriously?

Disgusting

I agree. Here is IGN's writeup on the GOTY.

It doesn't include this or any of the cosmetic DLC besides what is available in this.

It's basically BL2 + Season Pass + Mechromancer + Psycho + Collector's Edition upgrades + Creature Slaughterdome + Vault Hunter Upgrade 1. With a $59.99 price tag.

Tenrius

Nice. Tried to go for the first key but apparently I missed out since modbot hasn't responded. Thanks though.

It seems the key hasn't been marked as taken by ModBot yet, so it might be just another case of it being slow and you might get it later.

“By far the most visually stunning and engaging game I’ve played on my PC since Crysis 2...” 9/10 and Editors Choice award – Game Chronicles

Ooh, what a delightfully misleading piece of journalism!

EDIT:

Just got two Foul Play coupons, 33% off.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Valve would rather solve world hunger than to work on the next Half Life.
WTF Valve

tumblr_mobnx7utc81qijc81o1_500.png

Everyone knows you're supposed to cure cancer! :mad:

EDIT: On a slightly more relevant note, I also have two of those 33% off Foul Play coupons and 10% off Toki Tori 2+ coupons. Just in case someone cares.

Storm360

I agree. Here is IGN's writeup on the GOTY.

It doesn't include this or any of the cosmetic DLC besides what is available in this.

It's basically BL2 + Season Pass + Mechromancer + Psycho + Collector's Edition upgrades + Creature Slaughterdome + Vault Hunter Upgrade 1. With a $59.99 price tag.

So frustrating that GOTY's aren't even complete anymore, glad i'm not a fan of the BL series anyways, hated the first

Acccent

Sorry, late reply...

What do you mean with this? Getting out of the games industry and finding a job you're suitable to do is hard? The latter may be true, but I don't see why the former should be.

What I mean is, making good AAA games is hard. It requires a big team of talented people and a lot of money - it's not like people don't try. Are you suggesting that if a company isn't sure the game they're making will be better than something Valve released, they should just admit defeat and go out of business because it's "definitely not their thing"? That would leave us with... hey, just Valve! (Do you even realize how pedantic that sounds? I can do whatever job I want, thank you very much, and no I don't expect everything I work on to be as good as Half-Life... sorry if I'm not meeting your expectations!)

(I was about to post but then you added
Yup. I wish Valve made bad games, and treat its customers like shit. That's how a good company should be run.

Oh, and a good company doesn't try to expand. It tries to stay as niche as it can, even if they are providing better services and products than their competitors.
...but you're not even trying to have a constructive discussion anymore? I explicitly stated that this was a company's normal behavior...)

But anyone can expand into the living room, it's like your saying Valve is stopping people from innovating.
What differentiates Valve from the others is: 1) they make good games and 2) people love them, sometimes blindly. The combination of those two factors is why they are able to do what, if done by others, would probably cause outrage (see: Origin and uPlay, which, yes, aren't nearly as practical as Steam, but don't deserve as much hate either - people don't boycott your game if you don't put it on Origin.)

Again, what they do is normal business practice... but, again, in some aspects it suffocates competition. It's their goal! It's any company's goal! I don't get why admitting it is hard. They managed to do what anyone would dream of: to get in a position where they can basically do anything they want, spend a ton on resources on any tiny whim, release fantastic games as a result (talent helps a lot, but it is a lot more useful when money isn't a concern), control a whole market, and be almost universally adored.

There are two ways in which this can change: either Valve suddenly decides to go all altruistic on us and removes fees/cuts for other publishers and makes Steam a separate entity dedicated entirely to the well-being of gaming in general, which is probably never going to happen, OR people start reasoning and switch from 'Valve is perfect, praise Gaben our savior' to 'well, Valve is a great company and I love their stuff, but wait, maybe their position - even if earned - isn't totally beneficial to the rest of the industry, and maybe I kinda want to take a stand against that'. Which is probably never going to happen either.

---

It sounds like a bitter rant about a guy who killed his cat, with the guy being both Valve and the fans.

I don't see what's so outlandish about people wanting a sequel to their beloved, unresolved series which shaped the gaming industry in a big way. Oh, so he doesn't remember anything, just "aliens invaded, pick up the can"? That's his problem, but don't lump us together. I still recall a lot of things from this series, including the ending of Episode 2, which btw he didn't even play. Also, HL2 might not have been the seminal game its predecessor was, it was still a risky, ambitious project which set the bar for presentation and immersion (in b4 Derrick :p).

Then there's the part about him not respecting Valve, just because they do whatever they want to do and how they don't take risks anymore. Sure.

Honestly, it has "deal with it" written all over it.

I don't hate him btw, but really disappointed he'd pull out the card usually the uninformed or bitter people do against Valve.

I think his tone can be interpreted less aggressively, but fair enough.

To brighten someone's day, hopefully.

Thanks! Have never played Serious Sam series so it's worth a try. Been kicking myself over not buying some bundles, so this will be a good experiment whether I like this series at all.

Too bad Audiosurf 2 hasn't been well liked. Guess I'll stick with the first one and Symphony then.

gabbo

Would have paid to see Glados' and Wheatley's reaction to that. But yeah, after all that time it would have seemed weird. It's safe to say Gordon also won't talk, no matter how people find silent protags archaic.

I don't mind silent protagonists, nor do I actually want him to talk, I would just love the meltdowns.

Tenrius

Thanks! Have never played Serious Sam series so it's worth a try. Been kicking myself over not buying some bundles, so this will be a good experiment whether I like this series at all.

Too bad Audiosurf 2 hasn't been well liked. Guess I'll stick with the first one and Symphony then.

I like it, personally. It was pretty good back around the release (the graphics and the sense of scale were especially great) and I think it holds up pretty well today, especially with that HD treatment. There are some users frequenting this thread, who would apparently strongly disagree, but what can you do.

AHA-Lambda

Wait, missed this. What's wrong with it? =/

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Wait, missed this. What's wrong with it? =/

The most damning criticism I've heard is that people think it costs too much.

It's still in an early stage of development and people don't seem to be incredibly forgiving. What's there is great and it'll definitely be as good as the original when its done, I think.

Knurek

It's still in an early stage of development and people don't seem to be incredibly forgiving. What's there is great and it'll definitely be as good as the original when its done, I think.

I must say I'm not particularly fond of this new trend of releasing indie games in pre-alpha state. Beta testing should be something you are paid to do, not the other way around.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I must say I'm not particularly fond of this new trend of releasing indie games in pre-alpha state. Beta testing should be something you are paid to do, not the other way around.

It doesn't hurt you, though. You can wait for it to be out of beta.

Anyone see the specs posted for the 300 prototype Steambox's?

Valve said:
The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

Baha

Yep.

Full post here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/2145128928746175450

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

catabarez

Lawd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom