• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

header_292x136.jpg

Yeah, like I said in that other post, I'm still incredibly pissed about that.
When they got bought by MumboJumbo, the dream was basically dead.

MRORANGE

Episodic games only really work for narrative driven games that are not gameplay heavy. Trying to create episodic content such as Skyrim on Bioshock in a monthly fashion would catastrophic.

Hanzou

So a couple days ago I made This Post about how since Steam does not delete the games after the Steam Free Weekend, All the files are still there And I am able to play Dead Island Dark Tide for free since the free weekend last week. Tried the same thing again this weekend and I still am playing Retrovirus even though according to Steam, it is not in my Library and I do not own it. Anybody else experienced this before? Seems like a huge exploit.

Turfster

Episodic games only really work for narrative driven games that are not gameplay heavy. Trying to create episodic content such as Skyrim on Bioshock in a monthly fashion would catastrophic.

I'd have loved a more narrative driven Bioshock, but yeah.
The dream is still alive in adventure games (see Telltale games, see stuff like Cognition), but everyone else is way too focused on either a 'small' game, or big AAA nightmares.

RedSwirl

So hold up. All the Civ V DLC right now put together is $40 on sale. But the "Gold Edition Upgrade" is just $5. Are they the same thing?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd give it some time.
I mean, hopefully it's good, but... what if it's another Jurassic park?
Also, I'm really not a fan of episodic stuff in general.
Episodes are nice and all, and I'm sure the cash inflow helps the devs a lot, but for me, as a player, I prefer to play stories in one go, as it were, without having to wait months (or even 6 years and counting =p) to be able to continue.
At this point, after TWD I'm not worried about the quality, since I know TT can make some amazing games. But I feel the same regarding episodic releases. If I have to wait months (or even years) between episodes, I'll end up forgetting everything so far, which ruins the experience.

I cannot wait. I want to play each episode and have time to think about the story before I play the next one.
I'm the opposite. I'd rather play it all together at my own pace than wait for each one.

Storm360

I hate episodic gaming, all the "Season" games I end up waiting until everything is released, I can't stand things ending on cliff hangers sadly, part of the reason why I don't watch TV

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Added the ability to sort your games list by install size (if you're logged in) to Enhanced Steam.

The result looks like this:

Seriously, why is Star Wars Force Unleased the largest game I own at 29GB? That seems unnecessarily huge.

Tellaerin

Added the ability to sort your games list by install size (if you're logged in) to Enhanced Steam.

Seriously, why is Star Wars Force Unleased the largest game I own at 29GB? That seems unnecessarily huge.

Uncompressed HD video plus lots of assets duplicated across multiple directories, IIRC. Seems like they didn't do much in the way of optimizing when porting from console.

JustinBB7

Uncompressed HD video plus lots of assets duplicated across multiple directories, IIRC. Seems like they didn't do much in the way of optimizing when porting from console.

Think it was mostly PS3 stuff including movies in every language just like on a PS3 disc, so you download every cutscene 10 times or something.

Dario ff

Banned
I'm surprised there isn't a mod to people online to play with you, latency might be an issue I guess with some of the later levels.
Ain't exactly a simple thing to mod sadly, that gets in the realm of hack/trainer stuff and lots of memory searching/editing for what controls certain stuff (Frame-stepping, Control Inputs, etc.).

However, the Wii version of it works kinda fine in Dolphin, except for the low-res textures. And that is the only way I've been able to do Netplay so far, although it de-synced pretty quickly into 2-3 screens. That might've just been the >200 ms ping tho.

Turfster

my sister bought me gta v as a surprise

still gonna wait for the pc version #dedication #pcgamers #yopgtavo
08e55711df013d2ebec3bedd730d462f.jpg

I cracked because duckroll kept nagging at me to buy it, played it for a few hours, did not have any fucking fun and it's got the worst interface ever (really? I can't pick a default radio station? You're going to keep blasting random shit at me? And the only way to restart a race is to get out of the car and dying? Are you kidding me?).
Don't feel any need to go back to it.

Ah the mid-ought's, I remember when episodic gaming was a buzzword that was tossed around in conjunction with a few different series (even Legacy of Kain at one point). I don't think anyone really delivered on the concept until Telltale started their seasons with various adventure game series. I think Sam & Max games were the first?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just pushed Enhanced Steam version 4.9 to Google for Chrome users. Here is the changelog:

• Non-sale games are now hidden from the "Specials" search
  • Added option to display PCGamingWiki links on store pages
  • Added ability to sort "All Games" list by install size if logged in
  • Added filter to "All Games" list for installed/not installed if logged in
  • Added pricing history and formatting support for BRL (thanks drizzle!)
  • Added Polish translation by mrmahon
  • Profile links now display on private profiles
  • The formatting of tags has changed from square to rounded
  • Options now save automatically without the need to click the save button
  • Enhanced F2P detection on homepage, genre page, and search results
It should be updating automatically within the next 60 minutes. As always, let me know if you have any issues!

Dmax3901

Aus gaffer here looking for a US gaffer to buy me Civ V: Gold Edition and Brave New World and I'll reimburse over paypal, anyone available? :)

Thanks Jshackles

[*]Added Polish translation by mrmahon

When are we getting the SteamGaf translation?

Code:
                options_owned: "Stuff You'll Never Play",
		options_wishlist: "Stuff You Want On Sale",
		options_coupon: "Shit With Coupons You Are Stuck With",
		options_gift: "Stuff For ModBot",
		options_guest: "Shit You Want off Your Game List",
		options_friends_wishlist: "Stuff JaseC and Xelios Dont Have",
		options_drm: "Warn You About UPLAY",
		options_steamdb: "Show Grief.exe Stuff",

I just pushed Enhanced Steam version 4.9 to Google for Chrome users. Here is the changelog:

• Non-sale games are now hidden from the "Specials" search
  • Added option to display PCGamingWiki links on store pages
  • Added ability to sort "All Games" list by install size if logged in
  • Added filter to "All Games" list for installed/not installed if logged in
  • Added pricing history and formatting support for BRL (thanks drizzle!)
  • Added Polish translation by mrmahon
  • Profile links now display on private profiles
  • The formatting of tags has changed from square to rounded
  • Options now save automatically without the need to click the save button
  • Enhanced F2P detection on homepage, genre page, and search results
It should be updating automatically within the next 60 minutes. As always, let me know if you have any issues!
No Firefox love :(

jshackles

Thanks Jshackles
When are we getting the SteamGaf translation?

That would actually be pretty great. Also thanks to this great GAFer I'm going to be checking out Enclave - I always wanted to play it when it came out for Xbox but never got the chance. If the reviews from 10 years ago are to be believed, it's going to blow my mind.

Enclave on PC is illegally beautiful; in fact, I'd venture to say it ranks among PC's best-looking ever if you have the power to run it optimally

I hope I do!

No Firefox love :(

I'll hopefully have a new Firefox version later this week. Most of these recent changes should be included.

Turfster

That would actually be pretty great. Also thanks to this great GAFer I'm going to be checking out Enclave - I always wanted to play it when it came out for Xbox but never got the chance. If the reviews from 10 years ago are to be believed, it's going to blow my mind.

Enclave is great. Starbreeze makes the shinies, and it's a fun game too.

jshackles

Wait, does Enclave work fine on Win 7 on PC?

I'll let you know, but I'm pretty sure it's the same version they're selling on GOG which has been updated for modern PCs.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I started Puzzle Bots earlier today, which I think I got from a Groupees bundle. I was bored and didn't know what to play, and this seemed like a small distraction, so I said "Why not?".

Let me tell you, this is actually a very charming and nice game, with some funny dialogue and interesting puzzles. They are fairly easy, and yet satisfying to solve. If any of you has it on their library and hasn't touched it yet, I'd suggest you give it a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom