• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Let me know. Ill pick it up for 2.50 before the sale ends.

Just tried and it ran perfectly fine on Windows 7 64 bit. I was able to change the screen resolution to 1920x1080 no problem (though it's not widescreen, but letterboxed).

The only thing I couldn't get to work was my Xbox 360 controller but that's no surprise considering the store page doesn't list controller support. You CAN remap the buttons though, and the forums indicate it works with Xpadder or similar.

I'll hopefully have a new Firefox version later this week. Most of these recent changes should be included.

Repost (my last one disappeared) but awesome, thanks.

Could I request a feature though? Is it possible to highlight games you've voted for in Greenlight like you do on the store? It'd be a huge help with navigating Collections and Friends Favourites.

Just tried and it ran perfectly fine on Windows 7 64 bit. I was able to change the screen resolution to 1920x1080 no problem (though it's not widescreen, but letterboxed).

The only thing I couldn't get to work was my Xbox 360 controller but that's no surprise considering the store page doesn't list controller support. You CAN remap the buttons though, and the forums indicate it works with Xpadder or similar.

Yeah I just played a little of it as well, seems less glitch-tastic with only 1 core enabled, and it's not playing well with super sampling, but other than that seems ok.

frogg609

So I picked up the Wind Waker Wii U bundle this weekend. Between the Wii U and Steam, I think I am going to cancel my PS4 preorder. I feel like (for me) those two give you so much gaming in different genres that a another console is pointless until there are must have games.

Milamber

So I picked up the Wind Waker Wii U bundle this weekend. Between the Wii U and Steam, I think I am going to cancel my PS4 preorder. I feel like (for me) those two give you so much gaming in different genres that a another console is pointless until there are must have games.

I would advise against it, the exclusives on the PS3~4, WiiU and PC are too diverse.

Forget the XBone.

Grief.exe

3DS + PC will last me quite a ways into the next-generation.

I'm not even picking up a PS3 until Black Friday, I'm literally not jumping into the current-generation until after it is over.

Altazor

Just a quick update on my current Dark Souls situation. Spoilered just in case.

Earlier today I finished
Sen's Fortress
and I have to say,
those fucking lightning-throwing serpents REALLY pissed me off. Anyway, after I climbed stairs and avoided traps, I reach the roof and after taking a few steps... BANG, the firebomb giant almost kills me. Quick reflexes, running, etc. saved me from a fiery death. After exploring a bit and looting, I finally get to the boss. But I was really tired of the level so I summoned Iron Tarkus and we both took down the Iron Golem. Wasn't that hard, though it almost killed me once for being careless. Close but no cigar. YOU DEFEATED!

And then...
Anor Londo
. That vista was quite beautiful, I must say. Actually, the whole place is amazing, it's probably my favorite place in the game so far (just in the visual department). So...
FUCKING ARCHERS. At least I got them on my second try (!), I was very, VERY lucky - I was *almost* killed by the one on the right but I managed to get a scrappy win - emerged victorious with only a little line of life left [alliterarion fun!]. And I was nervous as hell. I kept on shivering and trembling minutes after beating those archers - they almost got me before I recovered my things from my bloodstain. A close call
. The rest of the level after it hasn't been very hard, actually:
just got to the giant blacksmith, ascended my halberd to lightning (yay!) and forged Quelaag's Furysword (yay!) and very soon I'll tackle the last part of the level before O & S.
I didn't do the
Painted World
thingie - should I do it after the boss battle? Should I wait?

Anyway, that's all for now. Great fun. Tense as fuck, but great fun!

Ledsen

3DS + PC will last me quite a ways into the next-generation.

I'm not even picking up a PS3 until Black Friday, I'm literally not jumping into the current-generation until after it is over.

My exact combination. It covers so much! Might complement it with a Wii U though.

Dambrosi

Banned
So I'm tempted by Magic 2014 at that price. Is it markedly better than Magic 2013, which I bought for the same price last year and have hardly touched? Is it worth getting 2014 if you already have 2013 (and 2012, the unoptimized POS)?

Milamber

Been using my 5 year old microsoft keyboard for too long, my space bar is not very responsive when I played a bit of Far Cry 3 last night. Maybe I should switch to those mechanical keyboards everyone is so adamant about.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there any particular reason that all these older games from GOG are finally being released on Steam?

Squeenix and TopWare are the only publishers who have bothered to do so with any regularity thus far, though NDS also brought over Wizardy 6-8 in addition to System Shock 2.

So I'm tempted by Magic 2014 at that price. Is it markedly better than Magic 2013, which I bought for the same price last year and have hardly touched? Is it worth getting 2014 if you already have 2013 (and 2012, the unoptimized POS)?

Don't bother with it, might as well try Magic Online. I put about 4 hours in today with the sealed deck mode which is suppose to be a highlight of the game with it's fully customizable decks and man.....

With sealed decks you get two "slots" for two different decks. Initially they give you like 7-8 booster packs that are completely random. After the initial opening you can earn 3 more booster packs through the campaign but after that no more booster packs for that deck, that's all you get. You can purchase additional deck "slots" for more money.

The problem is due to RNG and the limited number of cards you get you can be screwed with only being able to make 2-3 competent decks. You could have a bunch of red and green cards and not shit for black or blue. So screw making a swamp or island deck. Your gonna be stuck with mountain and forest.

What worse is if you get 2 or 3 rare plains cards with nothing to use em with. Then your just stuck with common garbage with what you have enough of to make a deck with.

Grief.exe

Been using my 5 year old microsoft keyboard for too long, my space bar is not very responsive when I played a bit of Far Cry 3 last night. Maybe I should switch to those mechanical keyboards everyone is so adamant about.

Once you go mechanical, you don't go back.

The great thing is you are investing in a piece of hardware that should last for life.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I wish I could get a mechanical keyboard. Too noisy. My desk is at the foot of the bed and I do most of my gaming while my gf is asleep. I actually got the keyboard I'm using now solely because it was the quietest one I could find.

Deques

Did anyone praise Teleglitch?

It's 75% off in Gamersgate

Also

Build a casual bundle is live

Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time - Steam
Pickle Frenzy + Bonus Game - Greenlight
Luxor Evolved - Steam
Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena - Steam
Vizati - Greenlight
Smash Cat
MonstaFish
Crazy Belts

Groupees will be holding a Luxor Evolved competition

First prize $100 steam money

MNC

So a couple days ago I made This Post about how since Steam does not delete the games after the Steam Free Weekend, All the files are still there And I am able to play Dead Island Dark Tide for free since the free weekend last week. Tried the same thing again this weekend and I still am playing Retrovirus even though according to Steam, it is not in my Library and I do not own it. Anybody else experienced this before? Seems like a huge exploit.
thats both dumb and hilarious. I guess the games dont check for steam encryption?

Somehow i am not surprised dead island is one of these games.

On a completely different hand, i cant stop saying it but sleeping dogs is just so much unadulterated fun. This will be the first game i 100%.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Did anyone praise Teleglitch?

It's 75% off in Gamersgate

Teleglitch is a fairly great title. One of the more effective games at producing a sense of dread without being an outright "horror" piece. I know some will have reservations about it because of the brash visual style and I think that's a fair reason, and some others will dislike it for the roguelike aspect (though it isn't fully roguelike - every once in a while you reach a level you can auto-spawn to upon starting a new game) which I can also somewhat agree with because Roguelikes have been in vogue for a long time now.

But it plays smooth, encourages on-your-feet thinking with less than perfect loadouts and has some fairly memorable encounters that will have no qualms about wiping your dude from the face of the planet. Sound design is pretty excellent and the sparse, Quake 1 VGA pixel art tells you pretty much everything you need to know about what is running over to murder you. I still need to go back and beat it, but the number of people on my friends list who don't own it is sinfully low.

Arthea

Magic is tempting, I was waiting for it to go on sale. But now when it is, I kinda feel like waiting till xmas sale perhaps. I wouldn't be playing it anytime soon anyway.
Decisions, decisions.

I'm trying to play Kingdoms of Amalur on PS3, and loading times are killing it for me (I mean ones while entering-leaving buildings). Does PC version suffer from those too?

Ledsen

Magic is tempting, I was waiting for it to go on sale. But now when it is, I kinda feel like waiting till xmas sale perhaps. I wouldn't be playing it anytime soon anyway.
Decisions, decisions.

I'm trying to play Kingdoms of Amalur on PS3, and loading times are killing it for me (I mean ones while entering-leaving buildings). Does PC version suffer from those too?

PC loading times always depend on your HDD, and console loading times are always abysmal in comparison. Usually I don't have time to read loading screen text on PC.

JaseC

Load times in the PC version are virtually non-existent. Even the initial loading screen is quite brief, especially considering the size of the world.

hitoshi

Hope it works

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

SpellForce 2 Faith In Destiny -- MB-A55DAEC6F14EC1B1 - Taken by Deques

The_Monk

Is it realistic to expect Halloween Sale by the end of this month fellow GAFfers? I just want the hype for those daily deals, Community Votes, etc since I'll probably pass on purchases this sale (and probably others in this year)
since others bills to pay are having the priority now

JaseC everything good with you HDD or did you had to buy a new one?

Xanathus

Who wants games to trade for Rage?
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Awesomenauts -- MB-C69E61923D5E3647 - Taken by Tellaerin
Walking Dead -- MB-280CE8E2CD5B97F6 - Taken by Motorbreath
Telltale Games Humble -- MB-564BAC455D5209DA - Taken by DeadlyVirus

JaseC

Is it realistic to expect Halloween Sale by the end of this month fellow GAFfers? I just want the hype for those daily deals, Community Votes, etc since I'll probably pass on purchases this sale (and probably others in this year)
since others bills to pay are having the priority now

The Halloween Sale should start during the last week of the month -- the 29th if it's to replace Midweek Madness as it did last year. Because it's themed, though, the sale is far smaller in scope compared to its seasonal siblings, so there's unlikely to be any Flash Sales or Community's Choice polls.

JaseC everything good with you HDD or did you had to buy a new one?

It's still chugging along. :)

ArjanN

From our friends at the Korean game rating board who can never keep a secret:

LocoCycle_PC (로코사이클_PC)

한국마이크로소프트(유) (Microsoft Korea)

Was already in the steam registry so not too surprising.

The_Monk

Thanks for answering, not much time until the end of the month. I think end of October and November/December are going to be another crazy 3 months for gaming folks with new consoles coming, Steam Sales (2-3 sales?) and all the other regular releases for all platforms.

Xanathus

The Halloween Sale should start during the last week of the month -- the 29th if it's to replace Midweek Madness as it did last year. Because it's themed, though, the sale is far smaller in scope compared to its seasonal siblings, so there's unlikely to be any Flash Sales or Community's Choice polls.
I'm really hoping that the GTA games get a sale during the Halloween sale, I was expecting them to go on sale during the 2K games weekend what with GTA5's release but no dice. Been wanting to replay San Andreas again, I just found out that there's a mod which restores a bunch of cut content.

JaseC

So now I'll wait for cheap steam version too! It better go on sale at xmas (><)

Depending on who buys the IP, it may go on sale during the Autumn Sale as the 38 Studios liquidation auction is being held in the middle of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom