• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whools

Another Steam Backlog game bites the Dust, namely Gone Home.

I loved it, the atmosphere in it is just magnificent, the whole setting perfectly crafted, the pacing is excellently done for a game where the narrative is driven by how fast the player progresses, and despite the fact that your ostensibly just following breadcrumbs, it never feels like you're being forced a certain direction. The way the story's tone shifts with respect to your location in the house is just masterful. Everything is really well done story-wise.

I'd love to see more of this style of game, or even just games that take some of the aspects of it, be it the fully explorable environment, the story of just ordinary life, or the pedantic level of detail.

If any GAFfers have good recommendations I'd love to check some similar games to Gone Home out.

Played 2 hours of GTA V and I have just one ting to say: I NEED THE GODDAMN PC VERSION!

The game just don't look good (sometimes) at all with no HD support, No AA, blurry and a shit ton of motion-blur. The landscapes and textures are good, but this would seriously look 10000000x better on PC.

GTA should not have been released on todays consoles. It looks good, but as a PC gamer, the lack of AA, HD, too much motion blur and a bit slugish controllers would make the console version miles worse than on PC.

Also, the framerate is kinda shit.

you are playing GTA5, right? I know it'll look a lot better on PC, but you are out of your mind if you think it 'looks like shit'

Xanathus

Played 2 hours of GTA V and I have just one ting to say: I NEED THE GODDAMN PC VERSION!

The game just don't look good (sometimes) at all with no HD support, No AA, blurry and a shit ton of motion-blur. The landscapes and textures are good, but this would seriously look 10000000x better on PC.

GTA should not have been released on todays consoles. It looks good, but as a PC gamer, the lack of AA, HD, too much motion blur and a bit slugish controllers would make the console version miles worse than on PC.

Also, the framerate is kinda shit.
I know how you feel bro, I had the same experience with The Last of Us. PC gaming has raised my expectations for graphics, frame rates and loading times to the point that it noticeably detracts from my console gaming enjoyment.

Jawmuncher

I know how you feel bro, I had the same experience with The Last of Us. PC gaming has raised my expectations for graphics, frame rates and loading times to the point that it noticeably detracts from my console gaming enjoyment.

Yeah I definitely noticed it in LoU. Actually took some enjoyment away but only slightly in the beginning.

I would love to get me some PInball FX2 tables but I'm getting the feeling they will be discounted more when a holiday sale approaches.

Copons

If you really don't have the need to constantly move your computer around, don't game on a laptop. For me, it's dorm, classroom, home, I had to play on a laptop, I'm still saving for a desktop PC.

P.S. Not every gaming laptop uses MXM, that thing is a rarity.

A bit late here, but anyway.
At the moment I use the same laptop at home and at the office, so yes it's super helpful having a laptop, but still, often I hate having to unplug and move all my stuff twice a day, with no real reason (except of course the fact that I have only one computer :D ).
It's been years now that I would really love leaving this Mac in the office (or bringing it with me while travelling, if needed) and having a desktop at home.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Now we don't even get Ghosts n' Goblins Online in the west at all?
Game looked like shit, but I still wanted to give it a spin.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/18/gho...ight-after-being-posted-in-error-says-capcom/

It's okay, the game was only posted "in error" in much the same way that confirming Dragon's Dogma PC was "an error".

Yes, but it had no free tables (you can demo all tables).

Then they added a free table in... either july or august.

Oh, good, I was worried that I'd missed my chance. Cheers.

kulapik

How the fuck do you "mistakenly" pay a $99 fee and put the game on Greenlight, with all the text and stuff? Capcpom, get your facts right.

I will not condone the slaughter of these innocent, majestic animals!
Also, seriously, I am creeped the fuck out by the fact that someone thought this was a good idea.

its a flying whale that someone killed by jumping on it and attached a balloon to

im so confused how youre offended here

JaseC

How the fuck do you "mistakenly" pay a $99 fee and put the game on Greenlight, with all the text and stuff? Capcpom, get your facts right.

Capcom didn't submit the game to Greenlight; the developer did. Apparently there was a communication error.

nexen

I just finished The Witcher 2.

It was simply nowhere near as good as The Witcher.

Definitely much prettier but it felt far more shallow and the story did not satisfy me at all. Nothing is really resolved at the end and your impact on the way events unfold feels marginal at best. The dialogue, however, was still great, and there were a couple of really memorable player-choice moments.

Gameplay-wise I didn't care for the combat. It was an improvement over Witcher 1's timing based system, but only just. I also really despised the crafting system, though thankfully it was completely optional. Level design was obnoxiously bad. I spent far too much time hunting for a quest icon through what amounted to giant mazes. At one point I stopped playing for an extended period of time because I thought a quest was broken. It turned out that the icon was actually referring to a location far above me and I had not been able to visually pick out the staircase that led to it.

That said, I really love the universe, lore, atmosphere, and Geralt of Rivia remains one of my favorite characters so I'm on board for #3. This chapter just felt more like an extended prologue instead of a fully fleshed out game.

JaseC

Everything I've read and seen of The Witcher 3 is brilliant. I've already completed both previous Witcher games but intend to run through them again at some point before release.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Definitely much prettier but it felt far more shallow and the story did not satisfy me at all. Nothing is really resolved at the end and your impact on the way events unfold feels marginal at best. The dialogue, however, was still great, and there were a couple of really memorable player-choice moments.

Gameplay-wise I didn't care for the combat. It was an improvement over Witcher 1's timing based system, but only just. I also really despised the crafting system, though thankfully it was completely optional. Level design was obnoxiously bad. I spent far too much time hunting for a quest icon through what amounted to giant mazes. At one point I stopped playing for an extended period of time because I thought a quest was broken. It turned out that the icon was actually referring to a location far above me and I had not been able to visually pick out the staircase that led to it.

That said, I really love the universe, lore, atmosphere, and Geralt of Rivia remains one of my favorite characters so I'm on board for #3. This chapter just felt more like an extended prologue to instead of a fully fleshed out game.

Dat added area in act 3 for Roche path is mindbogglingly pretty.

The map and quest markers pissed me off quite a bit too though. I hope they come up with something better in W3.

That said, I really love the universe, lore, atmosphere, and Geralt of Rivia remains one of my favorite characters so I'm on board for #3. This chapter just felt more like an extended prologue instead of a fully fleshed out game.

I don't think The Witcher aged very well...wouldn't mind seeing CD Project remake it at some point.

I still need to play through the extended edition of W2.

nexen

Dat added area in act 3 for Roche path is mindbogglingly pretty.
Which part was that? There were a lot of extremely pretty areas in this game, so I'm not sure if I missed it or not.

I don't think The Witcher aged very well...wouldn't mind seeing CD Project remake it at some point.
I'll have to go back and replay Witcher 1, but I never did love it for the graphics. I'm pretty sure some of the VO work was terrible, too. But, man, that game really made you feel like you were on an epic quest. In W2 it is more like I'm just some bit player in the schemes of the truly powerful.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Which part was that? There were a lot of extremely pretty areas in this game, so I'm not sure if I missed it or not.

That chick you help go to the river. It's the one quest in Act 3 that takes you back outside the worst designed city in the history of fantasy.

That said, I really love the universe, lore, atmosphere, and Geralt of Rivia remains one of my favorite characters so I'm on board for #3. This chapter just felt more like an extended prologue to instead of a fully fleshed out game.

I finished Witcher 1 a few weeks ago. The game was fantastic. Voice acting and animations were rough, but the world and the NPCs actually reacted accordingly to your choices and how you treat them. That's what made them seem so alive. The story was good. I had a blast with some of the quests. So much funny stuff too.
Now I started playing the Witcher 2 and I already get the same feeling as you, that the game might not be as great as the first one. But I'm early in, somewhere in the 1st chapter. Still much left for me to make an informed opinion.

I still need to play through the extended edition of W2.

I didn't age very well, that's true. Not easy to get into it. But once you got past the rough look, the game will make click and you always want to come back to it.

I played La-Mulana for a bit, following what I liked and what I disliked:
Pros
  • The game appears to be huge
  • Lots of secrets
  • Amazing soundtrack
  • The artwork
  • The best Steam Trading Card
  • The game don't try to teach you everything a.k.a annoying tutorials
Cons
  • Need some time to get used to the characters movements.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Indie Gala Magicka is up.

Pay minimum $1 for
  • Magicka
Pay more than $3.99 for
  • Magicka 8 DLC Bundle
Pay more than $5.99 to unlock these also!
  • Magicka 13 DLC Bundle
  • King Arthur The Role-Playing Wargame + DLCs
  • King Arthur Fallen Champions
  • King Arthur II The Role-Playing Wargame + Dead Legions DLC

I'm only missing the last two King Arthur's Games.

nexen

I finished Witcher 1 a few weeks ago. The game was fantastic. Voice acting and animations were rough, but the world and the NPCs actually reacted accordingly to your choices and how you treat them. That's what made them seem so alive. The story was good. I had a blast with some of the quests. So much funny stuff too.
Now I started playing the Witcher 2 and I already get the same feeling as you, that the game might not be as great as the first one. But I'm early in, somewhere in the 1st chapter. Still much left for me to make an informed opinion.

It has high points and low points and is still very much worth playing but it is a definite step backwards from what made Witcher 1 so great.

That chick you help go to the river. It's the one quest in Act 3 that takes you back outside the worst designed city in the history of fantasy.

Oh, right. I remember that part now. That city is terrible, one of the few times I had to force myself not to give up on the sidequests. Couldn't find the damned things. Also one of them had broken breadcrumbs. When you advanced to the last stage all of the targets disappeared. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom