• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

MBP's are alright for gaming, not sure why they get the flack so much because of price.

japanese-swords-samurai-swords-bushido-dragon-katana.jpg

the price point is why I give them so much crap

Copons

New MBPs being announced soon? ;)

I'm waiting for some disposable income to press the BUY MOTHERBOARD RAMS AND STUFF button. I've been waiting for quite some time now, though. Goddamn economic crisis
and Humble Bundles and Steam Sales
. :'(

Sorry, someone has to tell the emperor he's got no clothes on.

It actually performs surprisingly good, all things considered.
I think the only game I cannot run at all in my library is Witcher 2 (and probably Crysis 2, but I haven't installed it yet). Or at least, it runs fine at 640x480, but I cannot read texts. :D

You have brought great shame on your family by owning a MBP, do the honorable thing.

japanese-swords-samurai-swords-bushido-dragon-katana.jpg

zoidberg-seppuku-o.gif

With my aluminum unibody casing? Impossibru!

Copons

Have you tried installing Windows 7 or 8 with Boot Camp? I play some games on my 13" Macbook Pro from that year and a lot of them run better on Windows than Mac OS X. Might be the case here too.

Forgot to say that I'm running a bootcamped Win 7 Ultimate. :)

the price point is why I give them so much crap

I couldn't agree more. But still, when I bought it, I came from a loooong series of broken Win stuff and I couldn't bear it anymore, mainly after it fucked up don't remember what but it was work related. So after my PC broke up I jumped to Mac and it actually has been really really good for my job related stuff.
But after a couple of years, with the (re-)rising of PC gaming and my growing indifference in console gaming, here I am, waiting to buy a new full-gaming PC! :)

Turfster

It actually performs surprisingly good, all things considered.
I think the only game I cannot run at all in my library is Witcher 2 (and probably Crysis 2, but I haven't installed it yet). Or at least, it runs fine at 640x480, but I cannot read texts. :D
Any time I see an M on an older chipset, alarm bells go off in my head.
The 256MB doesn't help either ;)

Deques

New day, new bundle

• Sanctum
  • A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda
  • Two Worlds Epic Edition
  • Joint Task Force
  • Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
  • Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
  • Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon
  • Battlepaths (Desura)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thunderbolt ftw!

The old MBP 13 did have dedicated GPU's though, not sure why they reverted.
You know, are those Thunderbolt GPU things a reality yet? lol
I remember they had those PCI external GPUs that they showed at trade shows that basically went nowhere a few years ago.

Even now, the 15s and 17s only got 650m.
Yeah, it feels like they're trying to find the lowest card that they can get away with. I almost feel like it makes more sense to just buy an Air and then take the grand you save to buy a desktop if you want to play games.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The Garshasp series is great for anyone who wants an objectively better version of God of War.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Great deal on these but I only need Joint Task Force and Nexus. I'll probably pass but might change my mind later - seeing as it's Bundlestars I think I have some time to decide.

Thanks for the heads up!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
New day, new bundle

• Sanctum
  • A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda
  • Two Worlds Epic Edition
  • Joint Task Force
  • Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
  • Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
  • Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon
  • Battlepaths

I was going to buy the bundle for Battlepaths until I noticed it's just $2 on Desura itself.

LQX

Has anyone actually giving Steam there SS number so they can continue selling cards? I thought you only had to give it if you made more than $20K in sales.

Copons

Any time I see an M on an older chipset, alarm bells go off in my head.
The 256MB doesn't help either ;)

While I don't know anything about the M, that 256MB is indeed quite embarrassing.
Especially because most games nowadays have 512MB as minimum requirement.

But fact is, I discovered that probably devs don't care to test on older card, so they just write 512 even if the game could actually run well on lower rigs.

And anyway, I'm always astonished by how well optimized games run on my MBP.
Let alone Valve games, I was completely blown out by Just Cause 2: high details, I just had to remove the motion blur, and it run almost perfectly except every now and then with hundreds of people and explosions and stuff on screen.

MRORANGE

Has anyone actually giving Steam there SS number so they can continue selling cards? I thought you only had to give it if you made more than $20K in sales.

Wha?

Currently there is no limit on the number of transactions you can participate in. However, the United States Internal Revenue Service, under Section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code, requires us to collect certain information from you if you engage in more than 200 separate sales transactions in a calendar year. In particular, if you are a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide us with your name, address and Social Security Number, and if you are not a U.S. citizen or resident, you will need to provide evidence of your non-U.S. status on an online form we provide to you. We will be providing a link to these forms and a process by which you can provide the needed information if and as you approach the 200 sales limit. We may use a third-party to collect this information. You can choose not to provide this information if you wish, but you will not be able to list any items for sale in the Community Market once you meet the 200 sales threshold, and any items listed will be removed. Note that, while we are required to collect this information from you, we are not required to share this information with the IRS under Section 6050W unless you exceed $20,000 in gross sales in the Community Market within a single calendar year. For purposes of calculating the number of sales you have made in a calendar year, all of your accounts will be treated as a single account.

Li Kao

don't worry duder, most people dread the first chapter, but just bear with it and when you'll get to vizima it'll get much better. also some things you do in chapter one have pretty nice payoffs later on (one of my favorite moments in rpg history that I'm not going to spoil)

Hmm, is chapter 1 including the
witch
? I don't know why, it's at that point I completely lost the will to play some years ago. I know this is a sin though, overall the game was good and the sequel is renowned. Don't know, just didn't feel it.
And for the little OCD jerk in me, there was a scene
in a cellar with a demon
that didn't make any sense. I think I heard it made sense for the people that read the books. My little OCD jerk inside (MLOCDJI) thought it was a very bad thing to do.

derExperte

Valve has to get your info when you sell more than 200 items. The 20K is when you have to start paying taxes I guess.

Turfster

While I don't know anything about the M, that 256MB is indeed quite embarrassing.
The M chips were usually extremely crippled versions of desktop chipsets, since they were still seen as for "business" people.

9600 GT M:
32 stream processors
8 billion texels/s
128 bit interface
500 MHz core

9600 GT Desktop:
64 stream processors
21 billion texels/s
256 bit interface
650 MHz core

Copons

Valve has to get your info when you sell more than 200 items. The 20K is when you have to start paying taxes I guess.

Woah, if in USA the base from which one is supposed to start paying taxes, I'm totally gonna send dozens of PMs to people asking for a fast and easy marriage to get a green card.

Copons

The M chips were usually extremely crippled versions of desktop chipsets, since they were still seen as for "business" people.

9600 GT M:
32 stream processors
8 billion texels/s
128 bit interface
500 MHz core

9600 GT Desktop:
64 stream processors
21 billion texels/s
256 bit interface
650 MHz core

Ah, thank you for the explanation.

It was a very short sighted choice by Apple (well, obviously), considering that in like a year or so after I got this Mac, Steam for Mac came out and well the whole gaming stuff started to flow on OSX too.
And of course, considering the fact that the GPU is like soldered onto the motherboard, making it basically impossible to upgrade it (while stuff like RAM or HDD are super easy to change). Oh well, I don't know if for other laptop is actually possible to change the graphic card, but still, when I discovered it, it was a bit disappointing.

Ah, thank you for the explanation.

It was a very short sighted choice by Apple (well, obviously), considering that in like a year or so after I got this Mac, Steam for Mac came out and well the whole gaming stuff started to flow on OSX too.
And of course, considering the fact that the GPU is like soldered onto the motherboard, making it basically impossible to upgrade it (while stuff like RAM or HDD are super easy to change). Oh well, I don't know if for other laptop is actually possible to change the graphic card, but still, when I discovered it, it was a bit disappointing.
Well, Apple always stick to medium-low end graphics card, don't expect too mcuh. For example, a 650m's power is somewhere between a GTX550 and 550Ti. And if you want upgradeable laptops, look for the high end gaming laptops utilizing MXM graphics modules.

Copons

Well, Apple always stick to medium-low end graphics card, don't expect too mcuh. For example, a 650m's power is somewhere between a GTX550 and 550Ti. And if you are want upgradeable laptops, look for the high end gaming laptops utilizing MXM graphics modules.

Oh well, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a gaming laptop. Also, I always thought they were "conceptually wrong", if you know what I mean.

Oh well, I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a gaming laptop. Also, I always thought they were "conceptually wrong", if you know what I mean.
If you really don't have the need to constantly move your computer around, don't game on a laptop. For me, it's dorm, classroom, home, I had to play on a laptop, I'm still saving for a desktop PC.

P.S. Not every gaming laptop uses MXM, that thing is a rarity.

neoemonk

Well you could apply that logic to every game. People need to weigh their excitement against their price breaking point when deciding to buy a game. Super pro people like Stump never buy anything till it's like sub 10$ no matter how long it takes. Not everyone has that kind of iron will though.

$20 is my threshold. Skyrim is the last game I bought at full price. Well, I have a few Wii U games so I guess that's an exception to the rule. Stupid Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom