• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Speaking about Red Faction... What will happen with Red Faction Guerilla GFWL?

No updates yet. Nordic Games owns the franchise and is solvent, which bodes well, but they also don't really have much in the way of development resources to be able to support stuff, which bodes poorly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No updates yet. Nordic Games owns the franchise and is solvent, which bodes well, but they also don't really have much in the way of development resources to be able to support stuff, which bodes poorly.

Nordic owns Red Faction but Deep Silver own Volition. Whether or not Nordic has anyone that can even get into RF's code to remove it is questionable.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking about Red Faction... What will happen with Red Faction Guerilla GFWL?

As Stump said, there's been no official comment, but there is this, for what it's worth:

A while ago (like maybe month or two) I emailed Nordic to ask about their support plans for the former THQ games, and kind of snuck in a question about Red Faction Guerrilla and GfWL.

I didn't even expect an answer at all, but got a very polite "no comment at this time" answer. :p

"No comment" tends to be PR-speak for "We're working on it but can't discuss the matter at this time", so with any luck, things are in motion.

I have no idea, but that game is one of the next on my backlog list. All of my GFWL games are, btw.

As Stump said, there's been no official comment, but there is this, for what it's worth:

"No comment" tends to be PR-speak for "We're working on it but can't discuss the matter at this time", so with any luck, things are in motion.

Well it's just a matter of time, I hope they really work on patching that game.... if we're lucky!

Thanks for your replies guys :D

The_Monk

Does it have a big connector with lots of pins on the back? If it does, it's not SATA but IDE/PATA.

Sorry for the late reply fellow GAFfer. I think it is a SATA then, I have one of those red cable and a 4 pin Connector, yay, I might be safe on one component. Correct?

JaseC

I wonder if Ms Splosion Man or Incredibly Twisted Shadow planet are going to get de-GFWLed

ITSP is being worked on:

All we know so far is:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum and City are having GFWL replaced with Steamworks (with the GOTY flavours already at this point)
- BioShock 2 has had GFWL replaced with Steamworks
- Epic is discussing internally what to do with Bulletstorm
- Codemasters is removing GFWL from Dirt 3, while Dirt 2, F1 2010/2011, Fuel, and Operation Flashpoint: Red River "are being looked at"
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is having GFWL removed (no word yet on whether Steamworks will replace it)
- GFWL is being removed from various Capcom games, but again we don't yet know if Steamworks will be put in its stead

Everything else is up in the air at this juncture.

Edit: Added sources.

denx

I'm about to play Batman Arkham Asylum for the first time ever. What difficulty setting do you recommend to start with? I want something that won't be a walk in the park but also won't make me want to kill kittens in frustration.

By the way, where can I find the graphics settings to change texture quality? I don't remember seeing that option on the launcher or the in-game options menu.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm about to play Batman Arkham Asylum for the first time ever. What difficulty setting do you recommend to start with? I want something that won't be a walk in the park but also won't make me want to kill kittens in frustration.

Normal or Hard is fine. The challenge rooms are the only place you really need to master the game and those are separate.

Dr Dogg

Sorry for the late reply fellow GAFfer. I think it is a SATA then, I have one of those red cable and a 4 pin Connector, yay, I might be safe on one component. Correct?

If it's cont a connector about 10mm in length and slightly shaped like and L then yes that's a SATA connector. IDE connectors are super old and are about 50mm in length and have 40 pins so they're quite easy to tell apart. Hang on I'll get pics.

Edit: Here you go:-
loI7341.jpg
IDE on the left SATA on the right.

Atruvius

By the way, where can I find the graphics settings to change texture quality? I don't remember seeing that option on the launcher or the in-game options menu.

Go with hard difficulty. I played it on hard on my first time playing and there were no frustrating parts. The biggest difference is that on hard you don't get the counter icons above enemies' heads.

nexen

Microsoft should just leave a thunked registration server up for GFWL.
Just have it say 'ok' to all queries or something.

The_Monk

Thin red cable sounds like SATA indeed.

If it's cont a connector about 10mm in length and slightly shaped like and L then yes that's a SATA connector. IDE connectors are super old and are about 50mm in length and have 40 pins so they're quite easy to tell apart. Hang on I'll get pics.

...That thin red cable says SATA. I guess that answer my own question, right? I need more coffee or more sleep. Thank you both for the help, sorry for the bit of off topic, I'm really off when it comes to stuff like this.

EDIT: Dr Dogg, I think I have both of them...? The one on the left was also connected to one hard drive and to the motherboard.

Dr Dogg

...That thin red cable says SATA. I guess that answer my own question, right? I need more coffee or more sleep. Thank you both for the help, sorry for the bit of off topic, I'm really off when it comes to stuff like this.

EDIT: Dr Dogg, I think I have both of them...? The one on the left was also connected to one hard drive and to the motherboard.

Hahaha sounds like you got an old motherboard like mine.

Most motherboards in the last 10 years have around 4 SATA sockets or more. That's plenty for a middle of the road PC. IDE has been dead for a very, very long time now.

What you exactly trying to do Monk? Sounds like your doing my old hobby of frankensteining old computer parts together.

The_Monk

Hahaha sounds like you got an old motherboard like mine.

Most motherboards in the last 10 years have around 4 SATA sockets or more. That's plenty for a middle of the road PC. IDE has been dead for a very, very long time now.

What you exactly trying to do Monk? Sounds like your doing my old hobby of frankensteining old computer parts together.

I actually don't have a motherboard and the rest of the components. I'm saving & starting all over for a simple/humble PC after unexpected bills. I had this DVD Drive with that thing red cable attached to it and the other cable too stored for some time but I remember that it used to be connected to the hard drive. I want to keep everything I can, I also have my 2005 Creative 2.1 speakers still alive after 8 years, one case and I'm trying to get one of those CRT or old TFT Monitors. :)

Grief.exe

Do we know if GFWL will be removed from the Dawn of War games too?

This is everything we know so far. If its not here, we don't know about it.

All we know so far is:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum and City are having GFWL replaced with Steamworks (with the GOTY flavours already at this point)
- BioShock 2 has had GFWL replaced with Steamworks
- Epic is discussing internally what to do with Bulletstorm
- Codemasters is removing GFWL from Dirt 3, while Dirt 2, F1 2010/2011, Fuel, and Operation Flashpoint: Red River "are being looked at"
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is having GFWL removed (no word yet on whether Steamworks will replace it)
- GFWL is being removed from various Capcom games, but again we don't yet know if Steamworks will be put in its stead

Everything else is up in the air at this juncture.

Edit: Added sources.

Dr Dogg

I actually don't have a motherboard and the rest of the components. I'm saving & starting all over for a simple/humble PC after unexpected bills. I had this DVD Drive with that thing red cable attached to it and the other cable too stored for some time but I remember that it used to be connected to the hard drive. I want to keep everything I can, I also have my 2005 Creative 2.1 speakers still alive after 8 years, one case and I'm trying to get one of those CRT or old TFT Monitors. :)

Ah right. You'll be golden then. Everything is SATA these days. So if you get an SSD, new hard drive or even a Bluray it will be the red one. Regards to CRT monitors you'll find that 99% only have VGA connections, as in the blue plug you screw in but you can get DVI to VGA adapters. Try and find a 100hz CRT if you can (I don't think you'll find 120hz one here in europe) though a working good example might be hard to find and a bit pricey.

Turfster

Everyone that participated in the GMG Golden Joystick thing should have gotten an email with codes for discounts and store credit on the DLC for those games.

JaseC

Everyone that participated in the GMG Golden Joystick thing should have gotten an email with codes for discounts and store credit on the DLC for those games.

Speaking of awards, it seems there'll be a sale on BAFTA-nominated games in the near future. Among the included games is A Machine for Pigs.

Edit: Additions seem to be sporadic so I assume more titles will be added as time goes on. It's also possible that the sub is for BAFTA judges rather than one intended for the store.

The_Monk

This is everything we know so far. If its not here, we don't know about it.

I just remembered, aren't the Dirt games also using GFWL?

Ah right. You'll be golden then. Everything is SATA these days. So if you get an SSD, new hard drive or even a Bluray it will be the red one. Regards to CRT monitors you'll find that 99% only have VGA connections, as in the blue plug you screw in but you can get DVI to VGA adapters. Try and find a 100hz CRT if you can (I don't think you'll find 120hz one here in europe) though a working good example might be hard to find and a bit pricey.

SSD's are still expensive to me, but I'm trying to see what my local store can do to reduce the cost of parts the best way possible. Bluray is also something to avoid for the same reasons and for the Monitor it will be from a friend who might get one from a closed insurance company (thank you, harsh economy!) so I'm expecting something really old, big and white/yellow-ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom