• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

In the Arkham Steamworks thread it was just recommended to launch the game from the install directory, rather than Steam, if you are having key issues.

This whole issue coudl be a glitch, Arkham City isn't even supposed to have a key anymore or show one on launch, per the registry.
The implementation in Asylum is correct, it is not showing a key for people anymore.

Blizzard

Banned
Sorry to ask here but the Maldo HD thread is dead.

I've installed maldos mod for Crysis 2 correctly and then start from the created shortcut but I'm still not sure if it's running or not. The game now skips intro movies but there is no big Maldo image on the start screen. That only appears if I load the mod from inside the game and restart.

Anyone else ever use the mod that can tell me a way to make sre it's working? The game looks great, but I havent played the game without the mod installed to be sure if what I'm looking at is improved.
I don't know myself, but Maldo posts here (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47570458&postcount=17), so you might try PM'ing them if you haven't already.

Turfster

The Big Bad Bundle 2 is up.
Only 2 steam games though, Kaptain Brawe and Naval Warfare.

The Greenmangaming Capcom daily rolled over to Devil May Cry (DmC and Devil May Cry 4 only it seems), and they added a couple of new discounts for other games.
  • X-Com pack 75% off: 5 classics and Enemy Unknown+DLC
  • The Walking Dead pack 66% off (includes 400 Days)
Don't forget to use the 20% off code GMG20-IWGQX-41IS1

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't really see too many games on that list that I would consider 'must have,' and you can still acquire the majority of those on GOG.

Well, I mean, of the 250 there's probably easily 100 that are only "removed" in the JaseC sense--that it is not possible to add them to your library. There's no real gameplay reason to play Football Manager 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 today (even less so cases like Crysis 2 -> Crysis 2 Maximum Edition; APB -> APB Reloaded; Gotham City Imposters -> GCI F2P), but obviously a collector type whose end goal is owning every game on Steam is going to be bugged that some or all of these are lost forever. But if you're a game player, then it's far fewer.

And then you can exclude another massive chunk of games on the basis that they're straight up awful licensed games. Grey's Anatomy: the Video Game; The Office: The Game; History Channel games; Shrek Forever After; Lost: Via Domus; Iron Man; Vancouver 2010 The Official Game of the Olympic Games. And stuff that's no longer available because it's no longer playable like Stargate Resistance; Warhammer Online.

I suspect there's only maybe 40-50 games removed that people would make an actual, honest case for wanting to play.

Grief.exe

What is the difference in the contracts between Steam and GOG? Do GOG's contracts stipulate that you can never remove a game from their store? In that case what happened with XIII?

I suspect there's only maybe 40-50 games removed that people would make an actual, honest case for wanting to play.

I don't know if you can make a case for some of those 50 ;)

A4B37077C336DC246CD6EB5377088A2E28FDA3E2

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What is the difference in the contracts between Steam and GOG? Do GOG's contracts stipulate that you can never remove a game from their store? In that case what happened with XIII?

It wouldn't be possible for that to be a stipulation. If a publisher loses a licence or anything else involved with the right to distribute a game, it gets pulled, end of story. See this list.

Grief.exe

It wouldn't be possible for that to be a stipulation. If a publisher loses a licence or anything else involved with the right to distribute a game, it gets pulled, end of story.

I guess my question is, why are so many games removed from Steam but still on GOG's service?

Oversight?

JaseC

I guess my question is, why are so many games removed from Steam but still on GOG's service?

Oversight?

Contractual differences would be my guess. The only example that comes to mind of a game pulled from Steam that continues to be available via GOG and published thereon by the same company is Riddick (Atari).

Grief.exe

Contractual differences would be my guess. The only example that comes to mind of a game pulled from Steam that continues to be available via GOG and published thereon by the same company is Riddick (Atari).

You are correct, both Indigo and NWN2 are published by Quantic Dream and Hasbro respectively.

I would say its a matter of time before either is put up on Steam, but I wonder what is stopping them.

I feel like Riddick is probably an oversight by Atari.

HbBeJHo.png

Still salty you'll never get to play that Thomas Was Alone DLC?

I think we will probably be ok, that game went on a little long as it was.

I'm probably one of the few people who can't wait for more controller demo vids. Valve said they'd try to put these out frequently :< Not to mention we still haven't seen anything of the OS.

JaseC

You are correct, both Indigo and NWN2 are published by Quantic Dream and Hasbro respectively.

I would say its a matter of time before either is put up on Steam, but I wonder what is stopping them.

I've theorised that there's probably a butting of heads going on as the Steam distribution rights may still be attached to Atari and being in the throws of death it doesn't want to play ball.

I feel like Riddick is probably an oversight by Atari.

HbBeJHo.png

Riddick is a most peculiar case. The only explanation that comes to mind is that maybe Vin Diesal got things moving with the reformation of Tigon back when the game was pulled and maybe the studio partnered with another publisher and maybe Atari was for some reason allowed to continue distributing the game via GOG.

Blizzard

Banned
Google list of games removed from Steam. First result I get is updated:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3071895

The only games I noticed owning from that list are Stubbs the Zombie and Blur. I'm okay with this, except that I wish I had gotten one of the Chessmaster games. Am I missing something or are there no pure chess/chessmaster games on Steam? POSSIBLE MARKET OPPORTUNITY!

Check vs. Mate seems like the closest thing.

Grief.exe

JaseC is probably about a week or two from catching FF14 TRAITOR xelios in the overall games count.

Xelios has abandoned us.

There are so many good MMOs coming out next year with both Wildstar and Everquest Next looking compelling. We might never see Xelios again!

I've theorised that there's probably a butting of heads going on as the Steam distribution rights may still be attached to Atari and being in the throws of death it doesn't want to play ball.

Riddick is a most peculiar case. The only explanation that comes to mind is that maybe Vin Diesal got things moving with the reformation of Tigon back when the game was pulled and maybe the studio partnered with another publisher and maybe Atari was for some reason allowed to continue distributing the game via GOG.

If Vin manages to acquire the rights, remove the DRM, and bring the title back to Steam I would be happy.

Everyone needs to play through Butcher Bay, and I would like to do subsequent play through, but if the DRM remains in place I will just get the GOG version.

mxtC9Rr.png

I actually did this play through on a laptop I borrowed, then reformatted after.

JaseC

That's like a winter sale away.

Well, there's a ton of casual stuff I need to buy (PlayFirst's games, for example), but it's something of a double-edged sword as the games haven't gone on sale in yonks so purchasing them will eat a significant chunk of my sale funds.

What is the overall game owned record on steam?

Guy on my friends list has over 2300 games. Surely he must be near the top?

Valve employees, who automatically get every game put up on the store, have 2500+ games.

Grief.exe

Maybe now that Microsoft has released Halo 3 for free on XBL, they will release the game on PC.

Now that the value is effectively zero on the console side, they will push the Halo Trilogy out.

Maybe now that Microsoft has released Halo 3 for free on XBL, they will release the game on PC.

Now that the value is effectively zero on the console side, they will push the Halo Trilogy out.

i doubt it would happen soon, as your post indicates one of the big draws of H3 is the fact that it is one of the few console exclusives that people still want to play, drawing more people to the platform, even if the game doesn't make much money anymore (altho admittedly i blindly bought all the dlc when the game came up free even tho i know u can buy odst and get it all on disc, i just like having all the stuff there to switch to digitally)

Anteater

erm what? Glados talks shit to you on your birthday? Goddammit, I never knew this!

There were 2 lines where she talks about the character's birthday was yesterday and how she's working on a belated birthday present, coincidentally my birthday was yesterday >_>

Grief.exe

Family sharing is the best thing that has happened to Steam

Dark Souls

i doubt it would happen soon, as your post indicates one of the big draws of H3 is the fact that it is one of the few console exclusives that people still want to play, drawing more people to the platform, even if the game doesn't make much money anymore (altho admittedly i blindly bought all the dlc when the game came up free even tho i know u can buy odst and get it all on disc, i just like having all the stuff there to switch to digitally)

After the initial wave of interest wears off, then Halo 3 will be worth nothing from both a financial and interest perspective.

Console gamers are very fickle.

That zero value only lasts until the end of the month though.

Then it drops well below zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom