• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

why does this sound so sexual

this reminds me that I also miss this:

post-30282-12677870510378.gif

Grief.exe

I'm on the look out for a family member with Dark Souls

Its ironic because you can't even share Dark Souls due to GFWL. I would be very surprised if Namco doesn't eventually patch it out, but we have no official evidence at this point. Other than Namco liking money, Steam, and performing random work on the registry app.

WFo3OmP.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Every time I put my Arkham Asylum key into Steam and the client freezes for a couple of seconds, my heart skips a beat. This can't be healthy.

Anteater

well spent 5 bucks on arkham city and 2.50 with my card money, didn't know I had to add 5 bucks minimum.

edit: I mean arkham city, I'm so drunk.

Turfster

Every time I put my Arkham Asylum key into Steam and the client freezes for a couple of seconds, my heart skips a beat. This can't be healthy.

I thought Steam freezing on game key entry was normal. It's pretty much been doing it every time I add a bundle key or whatever for me anyway ;)

Well, that's the end of that chapter.

iXQnm5HxtEh4n.png

I don't care for achievements all too much these days but the ones in Spelunky were a fun challenge that kept me obsessively loading it up, frustratingly quitting after a few deaths, then coming back to it 20 minutes later. Now I'm left with nothing. I guess I could still partake in the daily challenges, but I don't know how long that'll hold me.

I guess it's time to play something else?

iN9RgGEjVoPM6.png

I've yet to actually get around to playing any but I don't dislike them.
You're find it slow and confusing since you won't know why it does the things it does as you have no exposure to the source material it's based on. I'd skip it and try some Dota first and if you want to see one of the first attempts at something different when the genre started to explode, from a more historical perspective, it'll be on sale again in the future.

Grief.exe

iXQnm5HxtEh4n.png

I don't care for achievements all too much these days but the ones in Spelunky were a fun challenge that kept me obsessively loading it up, frustratingly quitting after a few deaths, then coming back to it 20 minutes later. Now I'm left with nothing. I guess I could still partake in the daily challenges, but I don't know how long that'll hold me.

iN9RgGEjVoPM6.png

I feel like Volgar the Viking will offer similar gameplay and challenge. Though I haven't played that one yet.

Tizoc

You're find it slow and confusing since you won't know why it does the things it does as you have no exposure to the source material it's based on. I'd skip it and try some Dota first and if you want to see one of the first attempts at something different when the genre started to explode, from a more historical perspective, it'll be on sale again in the future.

Hmm will do that then. The Autumn Sale is upon us so it's bound to go on sale again anyways.

mannerbot

iXQnm5HxtEh4n.png

iN9RgGEjVoPM6.png

I've failed on Olmec 5+ times while doing Low Scorer. :(

my steam never really freezes at all. i've avoided using any of the custom skins however, precisely because of issues like that. default 4 lyfe

Grief.exe

Volgarr is a lot different than spelunky.

The actual gameplay seems very similar to me.

Platforming
Ranged attack + melee attack
limited health system

Obviously there are differences, but when you break it down the gameplay is fairly similar.

my steam never really freezes at all. i've avoided using any of the custom skins however, precisely because of issues like that. default 4 lyfe

I haven't heard too many reports of Steam freezing at all, skins or not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

My comment was largely a joke. Steam only invariably locks up when adding a game to your library (purchasing directly, activating a key, or redeeming a gift).

I've failed on Olmec 5+ times while doing Low Scorer. :(
I was trying to do Low Scorer and Speedlunky at the same time for a long while, I only got close once and touched gold on Olmec and completed it at 8:35, after about 2000 attempts (thanks for keeping that logged, game) I just decided to go at them individually. It was surprisingly easy in comparison when you're not trying to go as fast as possible and treating all money as lava.

I feel like Volgar the Viking will offer similar gameplay and challenge. Though I haven't played that one yet.
I was interested in getting that, not that I think it'll scratch the same itch or anything it just seems really well done and up my alley.

iXQnm5HxtEh4n.png

iN9RgGEjVoPM6.png

Well dayum, I can't even get to olmec (but I haven't played that much (~10hrs)).

That game makes me want to karate chop my car in half.

Speaking of which, a well known french youtuber did a vid on that game, I wasn't really interested before but the game looked great and played smoothly. The dude was supposedly playing the game for the first time and he was doing really great, dodging traps and all. Then near the end of the vid a caption pops up saying "this video may have been edited to make it look, here's what a first game of Volgarr looks like", then there's a bunch of clips of him dying, suddenly I didn't felt like playing the game as much. Still interested though, I'll be sure to pick this up when I get the occasion.
Here's the vid for the few people here who are interested and understand french : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CHhG9DxIc8

mannerbot

I was trying to do Low Scorer and Speedlunky at the same time for a long while, I only got close once and touched gold on Olmec and completed it at 8:35, after about 2000 attempts (thanks for keeping that logged, game) I just decided to go at them individually. It was surprisingly easy in comparison when you're not trying to go as fast as possible and treating all money as lava.

I had a run maybe 1 hour into my Low Scorer attempts where I got both a jetpack and a mattock from crates. 2 levels away from the lava on Olmec, I somehow managed to get crushed. I thought I'd get it quickly after that, but I'm like 20 hours in now and still haven't gotten it... High score runs/speedruns are nothing difficulty-wise compared to low scorer. Hopefully the game will stop trolling me with dark Temple levels soon!

Turfster

I don't use custom skins either, but there are 2 points where Steam will invariably freeze for a second (getting a white border): when logging in and when adding a game with a key.

I had a run maybe 1 hour into my Low Scorer attempts where I got both a jetpack and a mattock from crates. 2 levels away from the lava on Olmec, I somehow managed to get crushed. I thought I'd get it quickly after that, but I'm like 20 hours in now and still haven't gotten it... High score runs/speedruns are nothing difficulty-wise compared to low scorer. Hopefully the game will stop trolling me with dark Temple levels soon!
Dark floors, don't remind me. Felt like such a crapshoot if my achievement run would go well or not based on if I ended up on one of those.

Still, getting through the Temple could end up being tragic in itself, all those sneaky crushers, the tight spots with mummies. I always felt particularly bad having a Speed/No Score run end because of either of those.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone check out the new Mercenary Kings update yet? I haven't yet but I'm about to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom