• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you first join Steam, you are acquiring games at a blistering rate. Eventually, you realize that you can wait on certain games to get cheaper, and you have acquired many of the best games of all time sitting in your backlog.

Then game purchases come in at a trickle.

And then you eat like a bear about to hibernate.

as a relative newcomer to PC/Steam gaming, I don't see how you guys have enough money left over for food and necessities. Seems like I've bought something from one sale or another every day the last week and a half.

Close to buying Gone Home today.

I keep my purchases in check by weighing my backlog with waiting for better and better sales. You'll get there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Guys what should I expect regarding Steam sales? We're getting three, right? Halloween Sale, Thanksgiving Sale and Winter Sale.
How long are the first two usually? Any approximate dates maybe?

• The "Halloween Sale" is typically just limited to scary games or games loosely fitting into the horror genre, and isn't nearly as expansive as the Fall, Winter, or Summer sales.
  • For both the Winter and Summer sales, you can expect ALMOST EVERYTHING on Steam to have some sort of discount. Usually the only exclusions are recently released games and/or Kingdoms of Amalur.
  • As for all sales, discounts vary from -33% to -75% but can sometimes go higher.
  • The major sales almost always start on a Thursday.
  • Valve usually does something special for each sale, often times to promote a new Steam feature.
  • The Halloween sale and fall sale typically last a week. The summer and winter sales typically last about 2 weeks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It was discounted in the GMG Guardians of Middle Earth sale I posted... yesterday? day before? Of course, that still made it like 40€

Yeah, but I was waiting for half off on Steam since the RU Mithril Edition would be knocked down to around $30. It's for the best, I suppose, given how close we are to the Halloween Sale.

Edit: I should be able to pick up Sir, You're Being Hunted and Gome Home for $6.50 a piece once my guy is back online.

ngt

Scroll up like... 5 posts for a quote of the probable dates for the Halloween and Thanksgiving sales. Both sales usually last a week.

The winter sale will probably start the 20th and last 2 weeks.

Thanks, should have refreshed the page before posting.

• The "Halloween Sale" is typically just limited to scary games or games loosely fitting into the horror genre, and isn't nearly as expansive as the Fall, Winter, or Summer sales.
  • For both the Winter and Summer sales, you can expect ALMOST EVERYTHING on Steam to have some sort of discount. Usually the only exclusions are recently released games and/or Kingdoms of Amalur.
  • As for all sales, discounts vary from -33% to -75% but can sometimes go higher.
  • The major sales almost always start on a Thursday.
  • Valve usually does something special for each sale, often times to promote a new Steam feature.
  • The Halloween sale and fall sale typically last a week. The summer and winter sales typically last about 2 weeks.

Thank you, very informative post. Loved the bit about KoA :)

Grief.exe

One day Steam GAF...One day...

iKbNPlROGdQqg.png

In case its not apparent to people, and I can see why it wouldn't be, the two achievements on the right are from Dark Souls. Steam Achievements would imply that GFWL had been patched out.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
What's Gaf's opinion on Serious Sam? The new HD Encounters.

And, I wish every game had a resolution scaling slide. Playing in 1080p with the scaling slide maxed out (which means 4k I guess) without having to deal with drivers and tv issues is sooo cool.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

No problem. I guess I should have added "for best results, install Enhanced Steam". ;)

JaseC

38 Studios' assets are being auctioned off in a couple of weeks, so depending on who snaps up the IP, the game may finally be discounted again, perhaps even during the Autumn Sale.

Li Kao

Kind of bummed that more games aren't adding trading cards. I'm really surprised the new LEGO game doesn't have them.

I really want them for the X series (at least the new one and X: AP). I like collecting the top level badge for my favorite games.

Yup, Lego games don't play with the cool boys. Lego Batman 2 PC didn't have cheevos, and while I'm not particularly a fan of them, it could have added a nice incentive to discover the awfully bloated content the game offered.

And like you I tend to make badges for games I like. And foil if the game was something special, only happened with Rogue Legacy for now.

And, I wish every game had a resolution scaling slide. Playing in 1080p with the scaling slide maxed out (which means 4k I guess) without having to deal with drivers and tv issues is sooo cool.

I really enjoyed the first one, finished it in a couple of afternoons' worth of uncomplicated blasting. I never really got into the second one when it was first released- it seemed too samey and with a few crap gimmicks like annoying zero-grav levels- I found the same was true of the HD release and gave up after an hour or so.

YMMV, but if you played and enjoyed the originals, you'll still get some fun out of the HD versions and they can usually be picked up pretty cheap so are good value.

One day Steam GAF...One day...

iKbNPlROGdQqg.png

In case its not apparent to people, and I can see why it wouldn't be, the two achievements on the right are from Dark Souls. Steam Achievements would imply that GFWL had been patched out.

is the right supposed to be Dark Souls? :p

edit: oh I didn't see the spoiler part

neoemonk

I love the Steam sales but I could probably spend ten years playing the games I already own on it.

I've been playing Dark Souls since July and I'm nearing completion of my first run. I should get through it within the next four weeks I hope.

And there are so many more on my list. An embarrassment of riches really.

I hate saying it, but I played through it on the 360 this morning. I'm not sure what my expectations were going in, but it was incredibly short. I don't know if my Boss being max leveled made it worse, or if I'm just wrong on how much content a sub-$10 DLC should be packing.

That's unfortunate.

I remember buying one of the SR3 mission packs for full price and being disappointed with the length/amount of content. Here I was hoping the SRIV mission dlc would be worth the price since I'm really itching for more SRIV but I'll just wait for the DLC to go on sale.

jshackles

While you're in this thread, I just noticed that enhanced steam still uses /100 for metacritic user score, they've changed it to /10 now.

It's been /10 for a while now, but I decided to convert it to /100 so that it's more comparable to the "metacritc score".

So, for example, if a game has 6.9/10 it's converted to 69/100.

JaseC

It's gonna be Cacpcom, isn't it? Or Activision.

I think a mid-tier publisher like Deep Silver or Nordic is more likely, depending on the minimum bid (assuming there is one -- given it's a liquidation sale, there may not be).

jshackles

Elder Scrolls sale at Gamefly.

Save an extra 20% off with coupon GFDOCT20.

About $29 for Skyrim Legendary Edition, which is the cheapest it's ever been.

Dolor

Yup, Lego games don't play with the cool boys. Lego Batman 2 PC didn't have cheevos, and while I'm not particularly a fan of them, it could have added a nice incentive to discover the awfully bloated content the game offered.

And like you I tend to make badges for games I like. And foil if the game was something special, only happened with Rogue Legacy for now.

Right now, all I do is max out the ordinary badge if I really like it, but that's starting to get a bit inflated (no way I like Skyrim as much as the Witcher 2!), but the next step is foil badges which is a big one. Need to reserve a special place in my heart for those babies.

neoism

guys sam been working great but should I worry about VAC and not do any Valve games like L4D2 or Portal or HL2...

JaseC

guys sam been working great but should I worry about VAC and not do any Valve games like L4D2 or Portal or HL2...

You have nothing to worry about unless you're using it to unlock achievements en masse.

There's no need to be concerned if you're just using the program to idle, plus there have been no reports of people being VAC banned for using it with VAC games (Valve would have to specifically target it, for one, which would be pointless as it offers no tangible advantage).

BadRamen

ModBot said:
I am so totally giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Metro 2033 Risen and Sacred Citadel -- MB-B364E7AE08E7DD44 - Taken by Spawn. 8 entrants total.
Men of War -- MB-C7F4CBC22BF7886A - Taken by Sportbilly. 3 entrants total.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War -- MB-B93EF460D48DDACF - Taken by FauX. 9 entrants total.
Oil Rush -- MB-9668B91D412CD2F5 - Taken by ngt. 4 entrants total.
Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY -- MB-EFA905B7248807D2 - Taken by Mengy. 4 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-0E32405EAB64A0DF - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 3 entrants total.
Proteus -- MB-760E3616B3ABCC21 - Taken by Servizio. 8 entrants total.
Men of War: Red Tide -- MB-17B76A2A79362CE4 - Taken by yoshizzle
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-2A6A8DB0D3074BAA - Taken by Vazduh. 3 entrants total.

t1382481274z1.png

Get these keys out of my life. Hopefully all goes well.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I really enjoyed the first one, finished it in a couple of afternoons' worth of uncomplicated blasting. I never really got into the second one when it was first released- it seemed too samey and with a few crap gimmicks like annoying zero-grav levels- I found the same was true of the HD release and gave up after an hour or so.

YMMV, but if you played and enjoyed the originals, you'll still get some fun out of the HD versions and they can usually be picked up pretty cheap so are good value.
Playing for the first time, got them through the last bundle.
So far, it's pretty good. I felt the need to shoot something up lately. :lol

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I would call the Serious Sam series a pile of shit, but that would imply a level of thought, care, and artistry.

neoism

You have nothing to worry about unless you're using it to unlock achievements en masse.

There's no need to be concerned if you're just using the program to idle, plus there have been no reports of people being VAC banned for using it with VAC games (Valve would have to specifically target it, for one, which would be pointless as it offers no tangible advantage).

awesome thanks JaseC I had already got 2 cards from The Showdown Effect which is VAC.... not going to use it for cheevos at all :)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

I also wouldn't worry about it because there have been no reports of people being banned that were actually cheating, VAC is not that good.

Grief.exe

Valve generally doesn't target paying customers unless what they are doing is effecting others, see: Cheating in online games.

A similar examples, the old KOTOR widescreen hack involved a cracked .exe. That is specifically against Valve's TOS, but there has never been a ban on record for using that hack.

Playing for the first time, got them through the last bundle.
So far, it's pretty good. I felt the need to shoot something up lately. :lol

Heh, I know what you mean. Never mind complicated plot lines, existential musing or intricate mechanics. just let me SHOOT SOME BULLS WITH A FUCKING CANNON.

Li Kao

Mmh, Gone Home and SYABH are awfully tempting but then the end year sales are around the corner. And there were so many sales recently... don't know if I would play them immediately, not the type of guy to planify this. Sure would try SYABH, yeah, but... Argh.
On another matter, how do you guys organize you steam library ? I was going naked for years and then begun using categories like 'favorites', 'abandoned', 'playing', 'finished' and 'to play soon' coupled with steam mini mode. Wonder if I won't make a 'classics' one to gather some series I plan to replay in the near (?) future (like Deus Ex, Max Payne etc...)

JaseC

On another matter, how do you guys organize you steam library ? I was going naked for years and then begun using categories like 'favorites', 'abandoned', 'playing', 'finished' and 'to play soon' coupled with steam mini mode. Wonder if I won't make a 'classics' one to gather some series I plan to replay in the near (?) future (like Deus Ex, Max Payne etc...)

I don't. Detail view + icons is good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom