• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SOMEWHAT HUMOROUSLY, THOSE ARE FIGHTING WORDS

The FPS is the most important genre ever, because it spawned the perspective, and there is no genre that can't be done in the first-person perspective.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare proved that the FPS can be home to cerebral, thought-provoking experiences, which makes perfect sense when you consider that it invented the genre.

Dr Dogg

Maybe they changed: They did replace my ebay bought G930. I never told them I bought it on ebay: I said I bought on a trip to the US.

Maybe they changed and maybe I should try to replace this Mice once it breaks.

EVGA recently changed their policy as well: They would simply NOT give warranty to ebay items. I got a GTX560 that broke and they straight up asked me to provide a proof of purchase or recipe. And if I told them I bought it from eBay, they would say that third party sellers are not valid for warranty, as they're considered second hand merchandise, and the excuse was the warranty was calculated from the moment the item was purchased, and without that information, they couldn't certify that I was under warranty.

Now, they either use the sale date or, if you don't have anything to provide as proof or purchase, they use the day the videocard left the factory to find out how much warranty you have left.

The only two companies that I NEVER had any issues with RMA issues were Seagate, because they have local representation and they handle all warranty claims, no matter where the piece actually came from, and Corsair, which all I have to do is mail the RAM to the US and they will mail me a new set, o matter what. They even replaced 4x2 sticks of ram for 2x4 for me. They also have to pay THEIR ASSES in import taxes even though it's warranty. That could be avoided if they had any representation in this country, but I bet that there's so few RMA requests from Brazil that it's cheaper for them to just pay the 80 USD import taxes that they paid for my RAM the two times I needed to use them.

Yeah EVGA dropping lifetime warranty on their cards has got me all in a tizz as I like their build but really the warranty is what has sold me on them. Saying that I'm going through a refresh every 3 years so it's not the end of the world.

Never had a RMA with Seagate or Corsair (mainly because Corsair stuff I've own(ed) just doesn't break) but WD and Samsung are the biggest pain in the arse for me with their drives.

If Rockstar/2K ever green lights a next-gen version of RDR, then we will get our coveted PC version.

Meanwhile, I'm picking up a PS3 soon to experience the game.

Traitor!
Yeah like I can talk :p

With less foliage and a framerate of 20-something fps!

You forgot the Vaseline filter that is FXAA.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm assuming that the lack of an RDR PC port comes from it being a messy, troubled, over-budget project that ran long that was not expected to be as much of a success as it was. The DLC was late and clearly shows they were caught off guard by it. It was also during a period where the PC was not getting as many ports or support in general as it is today.

JaseC

I've heard multiple reports of Red Dead Redemption production being a huge fucking mess, to the point of lousy team leaders wouldn't fire people that would just straight up make a mess out of 3D models and terrain and some other dude had to re-do his entire work, wasting hours of work hours.

Besides, Red Dead Redemption was being made during the entire "Rockstar Wifes" debacle. I bet that both the Code is a huge mess that people don't want to touch with a ten foot pole AND Rockstar itself doesn't really want to mess with that bee's nest.

I believe somebody read the issues that plagued development and decided to add 2 and 2 together only to come up with 5. As I said in another thread earlier, I'll concede that RDR's development cycle may have been enough of a screw up that maintaining a third build would have been a headache, but even so, the reality is now that the X360 version is done, so is much of the work involved with a PC port -- sure, the environment isn't exactly the same, but the game is running under a Windows kernel with a Direct3D renderer. I'm sure, at this point, many people would be happy with a GTAIVesque port that involved little more than dumping the X360 version and adding kb&m button prompts. :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I believe somebody read the issues that plagued development and decided to add 2 and 2 together only to come up with 5. As I said in another thread earlier, I'll concede that RDR's development cycle may have been enough of a headache that maintaining a third build would have been a headache, but even so, the reality is now that the X360 version is done, so is much of the work involved with a PC port -- sure, the environment isn't exactly the same, but the game is running under a Windows kernel with a Direct3D renderer.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a PC version was never planned, and they just don't want to go back and mess with it now (or didn't want a year ago, or whatever).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not sure if this has been posted yet but Groupee's Be Mine X is coming soon.

http://groupees.com/bmx

Seems like Proteus + Castle Crashers + ???????????

JaseC

I'm thinking more along the lines of a PC version was never planned, and they just don't want to go back and mess with it now (or didn't want a year ago, or whatever).

Oh, it certainly wouldn't surprise me to learn that was the case. RDR was announced in 2005 and most publishers were, at the time, too focused on next-gen console projects to give the PC a fair shake.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
My favorite thing about all those reactions is that you could probably still get more consistent input for a fighting game out of Valve's pad than a 360 dpad. Obviously I haven't tried it but if it works as advertised I think I'll have less issues properly triggering diagonals than I would on most dpads out there (SNK clicksticks being the big exception).

Fighting games have their own controller. Not using an arcade stick is probably worse than playing a racing game on a keyboard.

That's what I found funniest about that, too. Either controller sold with the consoles is a concession. None are even the controller-ideal 6 face button layout, let alone an actual arcade stick.

In one quick motion they outed themselves as casual fighting games fans. A wonderful, beautiful shibboleth.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but Groupee's Be Mine X is coming soon.

http://groupees.com/bmx

Seems like Proteus + Castle Crashers + ???????????

Wow, it'll be really surprising if Castle Crashers is in such a low-tier bundle.

JaseC

RDR was in a rollercoaster and it was almost cancelled, so no PC-version, ever.

image.php

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What is Battle Worlds: Kronos?

Has the exfgls on the registry so it cannot be shared. Also has CD keys tied into the windows registry, much like GFWL or Securom would.

hmmmm

3rd-party DRM: None.
None. machine activation limit

^^ Activates Enhanced Steam's red banner

Dr Dogg

Well Enhanced Steam flashed up the red "Warning: This title uses 3rd party DRM" but I think the fact that it sounds like a L Ron Hubbard game is fair warning enough.

morningbus

Well Enhanced Steam flashed up the red "Warning: This title uses 3rd party DRM" but I think the fact that it sounds like a L Ron Hubbard game is fair warning enough.

Be careful throwing that around, as I'm not even a fan of RTS games and I still checked if it is actually some Scientology bullshit.

But, honestly, I'm not sure how that would have affected my purchasing decision. A Battlefield Earth game would be hilarious.

Grief.exe

hmmmm

^^ Activates Enhanced Steam's red banner

A turn-based RTS that was kickstarted earlier in the year. There's no DRM, apparently, so the key flag might be a mistake.

From the registry app, it looks like they have it set up to have some form of DRM.

All of these are generally red flags.

32 minutes ago Added exfgls – 1
32 minutes ago Added ShowCDKeyOnLaunch – 1
32 minutes ago Added SupportsCDKeyCopyToClipboard – 1
32 minutes ago Added LegacyKeyRegistrationMethod – registry
32 minutes ago Added LegacyKeyRegistryLocation –HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\TestApp237470\SteamKey

JaseC

From the registry app, it looks like they have it set up to have some form of DRM.

All of these are generally red flags.

Yes, I know how these things work. ;) I'm not referring to the lack of a DRM mention on the store page, but the promise on the game's Kickstarter page.

Category G

Neo Member
Would be weird if the game did have additional DRM on Steam given it's due for a GOG release too. Though I suppose they may be giving a neutered GOG version or something (the GOG build has apparently been delayed too, so who knows).

morningbus

Yes, I know how these things work. ;) I'm not referring to the lack of a DRM mention on the store page, but the promise on the game's Kickstarter page.

I could see them trying to flip this around:

User-generated Maps, Steam & No DRM

In the last days there was some commotion, because some features/updates of Shadowrun Returns are going to only be available via Steam. That’s why we want to explain the approach we want to take with Battle Worlds: Kronos:

- We want to provide the game on as many platforms as possible (Steam, GoG, Desura and many others). Some of these platforms use DRM measures, some don’t. In any case backers can download Battle Worlds: Kronos from our servers WITHOUT DRM.

- No matter where you get the game from: You can play the campaigns and the Single Player Challenge Maps offline, without registration or other measures.

- If you want to play multiplayer matches, you have to set up a user name and password on our server to be able to continue your game from anywhere, save your achievements, collect points in the game ladder, and so forth.

- User-generated maps, the free "Trains" DLC campaign and other content can also be downloaded from our server. This means that nobody is forced to install Steam or similar software.

Before the game is available to the public, backers have exclusive access to alpha and beta builds. Those builds will probably be available exclusively from our own server. We are thinking about offering a kind of Downloader that enables you to always download the latest version of the game. We may ADDITIONALLY cooperate with Steam, because they are currently working on a system that will enable gamers to play a game during its production. But that question isn’t resolved yet and first we have to get the game on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136266863&tscn=1365591358

They could just say Steam requires DRM and most would actually believe them.

derExperte

It's from Germany and in the vein of the old Battle Isle games which were huge back in the day. And I've read a few previews, it could end up being really good, I wouldn't dismiss it too fast.

Dr Dogg

Be careful throwing that around, as I'm not even a fan of RTS games and I still checked if it is actually some Scientology bullshit.

But, honestly, I'm not sure how that would have affected my purchasing decision. A Battlefield Earth game would be hilarious.

Hahaha shit soz about that dude. Didn't think my random, off the cuff remark would actually get anyone to click on it.

It's from Germany and in the vein of the old Battle Isle games which were huge back in the day. And I've read a few previews, it could end up being really good, I wouldn't dismiss it too fast.

Well looks like I need to do some reading for the next 30 mins or so. Considering that I usually keep an ear to the ground regards to strategy and 4x titles I'm surprised they slipped me by. Maybe the UK press was being as useless as always. Though I wouldn't take what I said (or ever do) too seriously :p

sibarraz

Banned
Could somebody post that exe that erased all those extra direct x files that you got when you installed multiple games?

Also, I'm still a noob on pc gaming, I need some tips to know If I had everything updated to run my machine fine

JaseC

Could somebody post that exe that erased all those extra direct x files that you got when you installed multiple games?

Also, I'm still a noob on pc gaming, I need some tips to know If I had everything updated to run my machine fine

http://tikione.fr/steamcleaner/en/

Note that verifying a game's cache will cause Steam to redownload the deleted files. (Edit: This should probably be mentioned in the OP, too.)

What is Battle Worlds: Kronos?

cc435ecab540f07d87585b6c9d9789f9d804bf13.jpg

Just published on the Steam store a few minutes ago

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237470/

Has the exfgls on the registry so it cannot be shared. Also has CD keys tied into the windows registry, much like GFWL or Securom would.

If I didn't have Enemy Within pre-ordered, which is coming out in a few days and hadn't just purchased Europa universalis IV, I'd probably give that a shot. Definitely pick it up down the road if word of mouth is good.

JaseC

Anyone have any opinions on East India Company?
I'm strongly considering biting on that bundle:
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/blaze-of-glory-bundle/?igb

You probably don't care, haha, but in case anybody else is wondering, all three Gold Editions are separate apps and not available on Steam itself, so not only would you get separate library entries when buying the vanilla versions (or you already own them), but in having the GEs you would also own three games even Valve employees don't have.

nexen

You probably don't care, haha, but in case anybody else is wondering, all three Gold Editions are separate apps and not available on Steam itself, so not only would you get separate library entries when buying the vanilla versions (or you already own them), but in having the GEs you would also own three games even Valve employees don't have.

I ... want to not care.

Turfster

Daily: Guacamelee Gold 50% off
Weeklong:
  • BeatBuddy
  • Toki Tori 2+
  • Contraption Maker
  • Men of War: Assault Squad
  • The Bridge
  • The Ankh Pack
  • Mini Motor Racing EVO
  • Jack Keane