• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
basically it was:

ME: I bought this game that said it activated on Steam but there was no CD-KEY in the case. I'm writing to see if, upon presenting proof of purchase, I can have this game added to my library.

SUPPORT1: Retail copies of games can't be activated on Steam.

ME: I understand that's usually the policy, but most retail games don't say that Steam is a requirement and then not work with Steam. I feel like I was misled in my purchase by the packaging.

SUPPORT2: Please provide high resolution scans of the CD-KEY.

And that's it so far. If SUPPORT2 would have read up a little bit he would see that I already said there was no CD-KEY. But like most support responses, they were both canned.

Ah. Well, at least there's some hope!

I went for Star Trek: DAC because I already had the other two. Why is it no longer available on Steam?

Oh, and sorry to hear about your Top Gun troubles. Does the game at least work outside of Steam, or was that already covered?

Such games being pulled are typically cases of licences expiring, but both Star Trek and Top Gun are Paramount film properties and both games were published by Paramount, so the situation is a little odd.

The retail version of Top Gun is essentially the Steam version with any and all Steam functionality haphazardly patched out (despite the packaging suggesting otherwise), and while it runs, it's very temperamental -- e.g. attempting to launch the leaderboards just causes a crash.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Doesn't Mad Catz call that line "RATS," or something? At least they know they're big, ugly, mice.

sorry, didn't realize how LTTP I was in the thread. Caught up now....glad I missed that, because wow....

No need to apologise, you meant no harm but thanks :).

I was just glad it had stopped. Disrespect towards a fellow GAFer for having a divergent view is one of the things that is guaranteed to grind my gears. My patience is pretty much non existent at the moment for....reasons
personal
so Q.E.D.

nexen

At least they look more comfortable than this:

282850-mad-catz-cyborg-m-m-o-7-angle.jpg

I think that turns into a robot.

The first time you launch any game on Steam with Steam CEG (Steam's DRM component) it requires that you're signed into Steam and online. So that's the source of the error message. Could be difficulties contacting the authentication servers. Could be something else, hard to say. I would try exiting Steam and re-running it; going into offline mode and then coming out of offline mode, try rebooting computer, etc. This should just be a one-time check, so once you've passed that you can play offline to your heart's content. Sometimes I get issues where I try to access community stuff in the client and it claims I'm not logged in.

Thanks Stump, yeah, it was a connection hiccup on my part. Logging off and on again did the trick.

Lunaniem

So for whatever reason, I have to download 20 GB's again of Ghosts Multiplayer even though I already did, and you can't start up Singleplayer without having both of them downloaded.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The retail version of Top Gun is essentially the Steam version with any and all Steam functionality patched out (despite the packaging suggesting otherwise), and while it runs, it's very temperamental -- e.g. attempting to launch the leaderboards just causes a crash.

Actually, my game crashes immediately after the "Press Ctrl+Tab to access the Steam Community" dialog pops up in the bottom right corner right after the game starts.

Yes, the Steam overlay is present but causes the game to crash.

JaseC

Actually, my game crashes immediately after the "Press Ctrl+Tab to access the Steam Community" dialog pops up in the bottom right corner right after the game starts.

Yes, the Steam overlay is present but causes the game to crash.

Oops, I meant to say "haphazardly patched out".

Joe Molotov

I have a Mad Catz RAT 3, it's nice. Despite the way it looks, it's still curved in all the places a mouse should be and isn't uncomfortable to use at all.

Lunaniem

Post results.

I'm looking into doing this but can it put your account in Jeopardy?

I've done it in the past for a couple of games and haven't had any problems. Generally, they just target people who use VPN to buy games.

I would post how the game runs but since I have to download 20 more gigs now, I can't.

JaseC

Post results.

I'm looking into doing this but can it put your account in Jeopardy?

In theory, yes (use of a VPN at all is forbidden as per the SSA); in practice, no (there are no known cases of somebody having their account restricted for using a VPN for reasons other than skirting region-specific pricing).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
5B0594247114C3453AC54CE9B78D90E740CC3FEE

This puzzle... This puzzle. It must be testing me.

Is that the one where you have to tap on the trees in a specific order? I never figured out whether there's supposed to be something that tells you what order to do them in or if you're just supposed to figure out through trial and error, that's what I ended up doing. If it's the bit I'm thinking of, anyway.

Chronoja

jshackles retail code posts remind me, I bought nba 2k10 I think it was a few months ago, there was that special 2k email address you had to contact because the cd-keys wouldn't redeem correctly outside of the U.S. I never got a reply from them, so would it be worth contacting steam support to get them to put the game on my list?

The Cowboy

At least they look more comfortable than this:

282850-mad-catz-cyborg-m-m-o-7-angle.jpg

This is actually a very comfortable mouse, I used to own the Rat 5 which had palm adjustment, this version (the mmo version) has thumb, palm and pinky placement adjustments.

They look very weird and angular, but they are actually very nice to hold.

Dr Dogg

I'll keep this brief as it's all ready doing my head in.

Bulding a new rig because my current and soon to be retired one had a hissy fit and decided it doesn't want to play anything 'new', but being a right muppet forgot I'm out of hard drives.

I'm being a tight arse and don't really want to pay £10 shipping for a stop gap drive and what's available locally here is both rubbish and way over priced.

So Steam related question. I've got a almost empty media drive on my current but I've got it set up as an installable location for Steam and with a few bits and bobs already on it. Will Steam panic if I remove it?

I would find out myself and just pull it but I'd like to find out whilst I'm still near civilization to pick one up if it's going to cause a headache. I've got a 64gb SSD kicking around somewhere but that's boot drive and not much else.

Cheer chaps.

JaseC

jshackles retail code posts remind me, I bought nba 2k10 I think it was a few months ago, there was that special 2k email address you had to contact because the cd-keys wouldn't redeem correctly outside of the U.S. I never got a reply from them, so would it be worth contacting steam support to get them to put the game on my list?

You're thinking of NBA 2K9. I asked Xelios to buy me a copy and gave him my account details so he could install the game from the disc, which ties the game to your account and is presumably what Top Gun discs are supposed to do, too. I'd e-mail 2K again, using a different e-mail address, in addition to contacting Valve -- couldn't hurt to have both bases covered, and who knows, maybe you'll get a spare key!

Turfster

Groupees added a clue to the Be Mine page. A guy saying "Here's looking at you, kid". Makes me think it's Face Noir, but it's a bit recent on Steam (and pricey) to be in a bundle so soon.

Couple of spacey deals:

So Steam related question. I've got a almost empty media drive on my current but I've got it set up as an installable location for Steam and with a few bits and bobs already on it. Will Steam panic if I remove it?
It shouldn't.

kulapik

Holy fuck, seeing the Steam Machine prototype I know understand what the symbols on the webpage meant:

O - SteamOS logo
[O ] - Form of the Steam Machine
O+O - Circles are the haptics and the cross is the grid/touchscreen

sg017lt.gif

Dawg

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

GRID 2 -- MB-2773646F18FB951E - Taken by Kirosia. 128 entrants total.

t1383666819z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Out of curiosity, what is The Secret World's business model right now? You buy in at $30 (or 50% off, $15). There's a cosmetics store and an item store. I don't see any DLC listed on Steam but I know there was Hallowe'en DLC a week ago or so. Wikipedia tells me that monthly content updates are sold for money.

How much would it actually cost through The Secret World?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oops, I meant to say "haphazardly patched out".

Yeah completely. Here is part of the back of the case which I sent to Valve (along with my blank "Your CD-KEY is below" paper and a copy of my receipt)

7YkPaon.png

You can see why I'd buy this on the impression it activated on Steam.

Reckoner

Is that the one where you have to tap on the trees in a specific order? I never figured out whether there's supposed to be something that tells you what order to do them in or if you're just supposed to figure out through trial and error, that's what I ended up doing. If it's the bit I'm thinking of, anyway.

Yes, it is like that. I figured it out. There were two trees a little too far to the right side that I hadn't seen.

JaseC

From The Verge's article on the Steam Machine:

2013-10-23_17-17-27.jpg

I'd try an ApSci cake.

Yeah completely. Here is part of the back of the case which I sent to Valve (along with my blank "Your CD-KEY is below" paper and a copy of my receipt)

7YkPaon.png

You can see why I'd buy this on the impression it activated on Steam.

Just as well Steam is only mentioned twice; if it were mentioned three times, you might have ruined your chances. :p

Grief.exe

This is actually a very comfortable mouse, I used to own the Rat 5 which had palm adjustment, this version (the mmo version) has thumb, palm and pinky placement adjustments.

They look very weird and angular, but they are actually very nice to hold.

The Rat is the most comfortable mouse I have ever used. I'm a big guy, 6'7, and I could adjust the mouse for my larger hands.

Unfortunately, the sensor is horrible. The phillips twin eye has a shelf life of about 6 months to a year, which is also what makes Razsr mice so difficult to recommend.

I now have a Corsair M65 which I actually do not like because of its size. Fine mouse otherwise.

Grief.exe

Reading that verge article, first paragraph and I am already mad.

Right now, the company is focused on catching the attention of 65 million PC gamers who've historically turned to expensive custom rigs in the name of high-FPS entertainment — and it just might have a shot at that.

What the hell are they talking about?

Clawww

Ya Rat is the most comfortable mouse I have ever used. I'm a big guy, 6'7, and I could adjust the mouse for my larger hands.

Unfortunately, the sensor is horrible. The phillips twin eye has a shelf life of about 6 months to a year, which is also what makes Razsr mice so difficult to recommend.

I now have a Corsair M65 which I actually do not like because of its size. Fine mouse otherwise.

woah, you're a giant

you need to recreate the shaq gif pls

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I imagine the beta selection process will look something like this:

http://abload.de/img/steamboxbetacplkl.png

At the end you get your steambox.

There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction they are going... There's no knowing where they're rowing...

Or which way the river's flowing... Is it raining, is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing... Are the fires of Hell a-glowing? Is the grisly Reaper mowing? Yes! The danger must be growing 'Cause the rowers keep on rowing

And they're certainly not showing any sign that they are slowing!

MRORANGE said:
Dat Titan.

Surely that isn't enough cooling space? Steambox RRoD incoming?

MRORANGE

Reading that verge article, first paragraph and I am already mad.

What the hell are they talking about?

Read the bottom, makes more sense.

But over the course of my visit, Valve made it clear that's not the point quite yet. The team is focused on serving its existing PC customers above all else, and doing it in a relaxed fashion. "We've been speaking as if it's a foregone conclusion that everyone wants to be in the living room. That's not true, and it's great that that's not true," says Coomer. "There's a little bit of consternation around our most dedicated customers that we might try to shuttle them into a different room in the house. That's not what we're trying to do at all."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom