• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

It is. Miles ahead in every category.

Dunno about that, man. Where are my Compile-style vertical scrolling shmups? It's all bullet hell these days. Or 2D platformers? They're still being made, sure, but I'm not going to say that today's offerings are objectively "miles ahead" of stuff produced at the height of the 16-bit era, unless we're only counting graphics.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm going to be doing another ModBot mega old-stuff giveaway soon. I am pretty confident most of what I'll be putting up is already taken or not worth anything, but it'll be another free for all. Probably this evening. It'll be anything older than a month or so old that isn't taken as well as any Origin keys that aren't taken. Gotta clear out the backlog.

Li Kao

Hop hop hop, I should correct a mistake immediately, happy birthday MakeshiftChef !
Wouldn't feel right joking about my anniversary and ignoring other's. Unfortunately we both have passed the point where anniversary turns from "it's the best day in the world" to "so soon ? I hate my life".
Hope you have a good time with friends and/or family !

Jawmuncher

Thanks for the giveaway MRORANGE
Anyway I had this game from a previous bundle so here

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Whispered World -- MB-B2B5388CE9E96580 - Taken by Htown

FloatOn

A game (and series) that offers way more than Hotline Miami. I don't see how something like that isn't shallower than AC.

Now I'm kind of upset that I'm defending AC.

You should be upset.

Hotline Miami tested my reflexes like few other action games have.

Then you have Assassins Creed that had a such a horrible first game I've never been compelled to play the rest of the series. Tedious content made worse by a horrible combat system.

hitting X to counter attack was somewhat fun the first couple of hundred times but when every encounter revolves around that one mechanic a game like bubsy 3d seems like a nice alternative to play.

Derrick01

Banned
Dunno about that, man. Where are my Compile-style vertical scrolling shmups? It's all bullet hell these days. Or 2D platformers? They're still being made, sure, but I'm not going to say that today's offerings are objectively "miles ahead" of stuff produced at the height of the 16-bit era, unless we're only counting graphics.

Those genres were left behind for better and more complex stuff once the 3D era came around.

RealityExists said:
hitting X to counter attack was somewhat fun the first couple of hundred times but when every encounter revolves around that one mechanic a game like bubsy 3d seems like a nice alternative to play.

You say this while defending a game where you literally do nothing but dash from room to room mashing the attack button to kill every enemy in 1 hit. You do that from minute 1 until the very last stage with little change in how it plays.

Turfster

Chrome is going to start blocking Chrome extensions not from the Chrome Store starting in January? What does this mean for Enhanced Steam, jshackles? (Nothing, I suppose)

Li Kao

It offers more. And that's the problem, it offers too much without anything that's better, a problem most of those huge games have nowadays. And I liked the series from AC1 until Rev.

Jack of all trades, master of none. You might be on to something here, yep.

Anteater

A game (and series) that offers way more than Hotline Miami. I don't see how something like that isn't shallower than AC.

Now I'm kind of upset that I'm defending AC.

All ass creed offered were cool looking worlds for virtual tourists.

never played hotline miami though :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
thanks jawmuncher

also thanks for the attempted gift to the user who sent me a PM

you guys are generous :)

I tried, but it just didn't do it for me. With both mouse and keyboard I always felt a little bit out of control, like my character was skating around on ice. Plus the speed and the zoomed in view always inhibited my tactical planning, even with the ability to scroll around the map. I can see the appeal, as it's stylish as all crap, but to me the combo of tactical planning with hyperspeed and odd controls just didn't mesh.

I feel your pain :(. I really struggled with even the first few 'levels'. I decided after getting repeatedly pwned by the game that I needed to improve my kb&m skills considerably until they were more natural and automatic before I gave it another go. I can certainly see what everyone else sees in the game though which made it very frustrating. One day! :)

So I'm playing FTL, right... and then...

My O2 Generator is offline, I have 3 different hull holes in my ship, the external doors are open, door controls are busted, I only have a sliver of health on my two surviving members and, since there's no O2, if I leave the medical bay they'll both die.

I love this goddamn game. I won the battle, but I lost anyway.

LOL

I've been there too :D.

What I realised when I was discussing a certain other game earlier was that I didn't mind messing up and failing in FTL and having to restart because I loved playing the game so much. So I might mentally give myself a slap for allowing all my poor little FTL soldiers to die but then I'd chuckle and just start a new game. Most of the time I didn't make the same stupid mistakes [unless I got complacent]. With the other game however....:/.

I remember one time I was in the last sector, had the best ship ever. Then some random aliens entered my ship and they destroyed some doors...

I wanted them to suffocate and in the end I forgot I opened the hatches and died myself...
The battle was also won, but then I was to dumb to close the hatch.

LOL I've definitely done that too! :D

FloatOn

Those genres were left behind for better and more complex stuff once the 3D era came around.

croc-lava-level.jpg

vs.

yoshi1.hthd.jpg

You say this while defending a game where you literally do nothing but dash from room to room mashing the attack button to kill every enemy in 1 hit. You do that from minute 1 until the very last stage with little change in how it plays.

if you ran around dashing and mashing the attack button you probably didn't make it past the first stage.

careful planning and ridiculous reflexes are required for hotline miami.

Then you have Assassins Creed that had a such a horrible first game I've never been compelled to play the rest of the series. Tedious content made worse by a horrible combat system.
Oh hey you are a perfect match for Derrick. Both of you can argue about games you've never played and know nothing about and reach no meaningful conclusion.
A lot of video games can be reduced to a single boring action if all you care about is "beating it" instead of enjoying or self or having fun.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chrome is going to start blocking Chrome extensions not from the Chrome Store starting in January? What does this mean for Enhanced Steam, jshackles? (Nothing, I suppose)

If it's impossible to override that is very frustrating. I use HTTPS Everywhere and MediaHint from off-site and if Google ever moved against adblocking I'd get that externally as well.

derExperte

All ass creed offered were cool looking worlds for virtual tourists.

Yeah, the combat in AC1 was at least challenging. After that they became less demanding from game to game. Which makes me really wonder why Derrick tries to defend the series as he usually hates games that in his opinion depend on fluff and have basically non-existent gameplay.

Most SNES era games actually required the use of one's brain and/or reflexes. Most games today have an arrow on-screen at all times pointing you to your goal and when you reach it, you simply press a "win button" to murder your target. And if you fail that, you are moved ten seconds backwards to try again with no repercussions. And that's ESPECIALLY true for Assassin's Creed.

More complex indeed.

Yeah, the combat in AC1 was at least challenging. After that they became less demanding from game to game.
This absolutely and completely false. The combat mechanics and enemy variety grew more complex with each game in some stupid attempt at creating "challenge". The first game is in fact the easiest of them all as the anime variety is non existent and due to the limited selection of weapons all of them were extremely powerful. It is only challenging in one specific portion of the game where you are incapable of using the "counter attack" ability.

Tizoc

So GMG gave me a voucher for a 25% discount on AC4 Black Flag which can also work with the Deluxe edition on their site, which is currently going for $85, using it along with the 20% discount code would bring it to something like $55 or so but I'd need to test that first.

Should I bite and get the game at that price? I'm not really into AC tbh, how's the PC performance so far, and how's the overall gameplay assuming I don't care about the story?

FloatOn

Oh hey you are a perfect match for Derrick. Both of you can argue about games you've never played and know nothing about and reach no meaningful conclusion.

A lot of video games can be reduced to a single boring action if all you care about is "beating it" instead of enjoying or self or having fun.

I played Assassins Creed 1 to completion. If a series can't prove itself within the entirety of a single game, I can't be too bothered for passing judgement on it's sequels.

The counter attack x infinity combat was not even the biggest problem. The tedious content was. There were maybe 3 or 4 different things you did in the game that you had to repeat almost exactly countless amounts of times. I'm not sure how or why I brought myself to complete it.

What are you trying to say with this? That the simpler 2D game hid its lower capabilities with a different art style? That doesn't tell me it was a better platformer than something like Mario 64.

These images should be clear as to what I'm trying to say. 2d did allow for more intricate art this is true but what else is true is that in 2d platformers like yoshi's island you had more to do than just wander about in boring 3d environments with fewer enemies that required little more than getting bumped into. You actually had to aim and shoot and be precise with your platforming.

Yoshi's Island was twice the game Mario 64 was.

Sajjaja

So GMG gave me a voucher for a 25% discount on AC4 Black Flag which can also work with the Deluxe edition on their site, which is currently going for $85, using it along with the 20% discount code would bring it to something like $55 or so but I'd need to test that first.

Should I bite and get the game at that price? I'm not really into AC tbh, how's the PC performance so far, and how's the overall gameplay assuming I don't care about the story?

It isn't out for PC yet.

I played Assassins Creed 1 to completion. If a series can't prove itself within the entirety of a single game, I can't be too bothered for passing judgement on it's sequels.
Then you should refrain from making any comments as it would be impossible for you to contribute anything meaningful.

And a main character who likes to change faces because why not.

2359201-tumblr_mctfk9hIOz1qzyo37o1_500.jpg

I thoroughly enjoy the Ass Creed series despite its many shortcomings.

I've played the series for maybe a total of 20 minutes or so but it looks to me as if the art direction for Desmond facial features changed based on the ancestor that was being portrayed. So in Revelations it was an old Ezio hence the look & for AC3 a more Native American look. I guess to make it more easier to understand that they were his ancestors.

derExperte

This absolutely and completely false. The combat mechanics and enemy variety grew more complex with each game in some stupid attempt at creating "challenge". The first game is in fact the easiest of them all as the anime variety is non existent and due to the limited selection of weapons all of them were extremely powerful. It is only challenging in one specific portion of the game where you are incapable of using the "counter attack" ability.

What? I died a few times in AC1 during combat. I didn't die once during BroHo and Rev (or 3 until I couldn't take it anymore), can't remember 2. Yes, more variety but the enemies became less threatening and your gadgets more powerful. I mean Ubisoft themselves said they dumbed down everything because it's what the mainstream wants, you are Superman in the later ones. Reason one for any retries nowadays is that the game only allows you to do one specific thing and it's game over if you don't comply 100%.

DukeBobby

I didn't see any of this so-called 'challenge' in Assassin's Creed 3. The only way to die in the game is to put the controller down during combat. The game was pathetically easy, and much, much easier than the first game, which was an easy game to begin with.

Sajjaja

I've played the series for maybe a total of 20 minutes or so but it looks to me as if the art direction for Desmond facial features changed based on the ancestor that was being portrayed. So in Revelations it was an old Ezio hence the look & for AC3 a more Native American look. I guess to make it more easier to understand that they were his ancestors.

I don't see the Native American look in his model in 3.

Also, why would his model change so drastically within the same ancestor arch between the games if they wanted to model it after the ancestor? Desmond shouldn't change as he is the only constant in the series.

save the wolves

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Star Wolves 3: Civil War -- MB-7B604D66FAFDBF53 - Taken by Htown

MNC

Completed The Swapper

That game was amazing! The puzzles were fun, the gameplay fun, and the mostly silent story was very intriguing.

Now I wanted to do all the achievements, but... Reloading a save now only plays the credits. Which pretty much fucking sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom