• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I found out that my video card is overheating when playing something demanding, even though the fan is working at 100% speed (which apparently makes it run slower so it doesn't get burned). Could it be there's dust inside the case? I don't wanna risk opening it, so I "solved" it by underclocking it with MSI Afterburner, but that means now I'm dealing with an even less powerful PC. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a new one soon.

Oh, and CoD: MW's multiplayer is way more chaotic and frenetic on PC than it ever was on Wii. 20vs20 TDM, instant respawning, bullets and grenades flying everywhere, it's awesome!

Does nobody else think ModBot and giveaways should be a seperate thread? Or rather, actual Steam news and discussion has it's own thread seeing as this thread is pretty much a Modbot/thanks thread anyway?

I end up skipping so many pages because I see a giveaway and I know there's just going to be tons of posts saying thanks but actual discussion going on?
There is far greater concentration of posts like "idling for cards," "OMG LOL I MADE TEN CENTS FROM MY CARDS 4CHAN REDDIT" and general cartoonish hate posts for Desura/UPlay/Origin/GFWL than there are ModBot giveaways and thank yous.

Tenrius

Does nobody else think ModBot and giveaways should be a seperate thread? Or rather, actual Steam news and discussion has it's own thread seeing as this thread is pretty much a Modbot/thanks thread anyway?

I end up skipping so many pages because I see a giveaway and I know there's just going to be tons of posts saying thanks but actual discussion going on?

No, I don't feel this way.

Honey Bunny

OIL EVERYWHERE

image.php

Thank you hitoshi!

Jawmuncher

Oi, you. Don't start him down our path of sin!

Agarest is shit anyway - take it from a former beta tester who got it for free (hell, NDA's gotta be over by now, right?). If you want animu jRPG goodness, play the Ys games. All of them.

I think that path is drawing every closer.
Aside from that I don't mind Agarest it isn't to bad especially with all the DLC packs I got to make it easier. But yeah it's definitely not the best thing around. I'll be grabbing those Y's games come the next sale on them.

This is the part where you stop playing games and collect them instead.

This is what I think might happen next.
I already have a bad addiction to grabbing bundles just to see the collect number go up.

Momentary

Banned
I reallly enjoyed Naruto Final Burst. I don't see why people hate the ending so much. Don't they know that the story is still ongoing. Maybe I just have low expectation. The combat was actually pretty fun too. I was expecting the combat to be pretty brain dead, but it's a little deeper than what I was expecting it to be. Definitely some mechanics in there that would cause button mashers to get frustrated against a more experienced player. Unfortunately, a game like this is something that I'd only play on single player. It's definitely not a deep fighting games where I would spend hours to learn the intricacies of one character.

Volcynika

I think that path is drawing every closer.
Aside from that I don't mind Agarest it isn't to bad especially with all the DLC packs I got to make it easier. But yeah it's definitely not the best thing around. I'll be grabbing those Y's games come the next sale on them.

This is what I think might happen next.
I already have a bad addiction to grabbing bundles just to see the collect number go up.

It's Ys.

:mad:

Y's all day, every day.

It's one of my favorite series ever, EVER.

Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's Y's.

NotSelf

Yes. Yes, it is.

header.jpg

Time played: 1 hour, 14 minutes (got to second level on my 20th try)

Wow, it's been a while, eh? Considering that the last game I reviewed like this was Binary Domain last year, I really have been slacking off on the impressions department. However, I won Risk Of Rain in a Twitch stream's giveaway raffle yesterday, and the game is pretty much brand new, so I felt that I had to play it and give you guys some first impressions of the title. So, well, here goes.

Risk Of Rain is one of a growing number of retro-styled, action-led "Roguealikelikes" in the same vein as Rogue Legacy and Teleglitch (oh boy, do I have some impressions of THAT game for you!), with seemingly randomized levels teeming with randomly-spawning hyper-aggressive enemies and randomized loot. Oh, and permadeath, because what kind of Rogue clone would it be without that? Where RoR differs is that it was definitely built to be played in co-op, and can be played online by up to 4 players at any time, according to the stream I was watching that awarded me the game. Stupid cool. Add to that the 12 or so classes you must unlock to be able to play as, each with different weapons and abilities, and you'll be at this for some time if you want to play to completion.

Now, I said that there were 12 classes, but you only start out with one unlocked - the Commando, armed with a shotgun, SMG and rifle, and a forward roll that both gets you clear of enemies for a second and grants temporary invulnerability. I soon find out that I'm going to need to make use of all of those weapons and abilities, because the enemies, even early on, come at me thick and fast. Well, some of them come at me just thick, while others come fast, small, flying, and electrocuting. Those goddamned jellyfish. AAAaaaaarrgh. Especially the boss one, he's a cunt. It doesn't help that all your abilities have short cooldown periods (your main weapon doesn't, which is the smallest of mercies), and must be used accordingly. It certainly makes for more intense, thoughtful and tactical combat mechanics than you usually see in a Roguelikealike these days, and gives the game a unique flavour.

At the beginning of any given stage, the game tells you what you must do - "Find the Teleporter". it quickly becomes imperative that you do so quickly, for the longer you take, the harder and more ferocious the game's enemies will become, usually resulting in a quick permadeath and premature Game Over. However, it's only once you find the teleporter and activate it that the fun really begins, since that both gives you a 90-second "survive" timer and summons the stage boss, as well as increasing enemy spawns! And even after the 90 seconds runs out, you still have to defeat the boss and all of the remaining enemies to clear the level and be able to teleport the hell outta there. No, nothing about this game is easy. Nothing at all.

It's a good thing that you can buy - not find or loot, buy - extra weapons and items from various randomized dumps with gold you get from either small canisters strewn across the map, or, more lucratively, killing enemies. How strangely capitalistic for a game where the whole premise is that monsters are falling from space, and you're humanity's last hope - you'd think they'd just give them to him as a freebie. The bigger the enemy, the more moolah you get - and that goes for experience points as well, which are collected in much the same way, and serve to level up your character, giving them more HP, endurance, attack power, and so on.The interplay between these elements and the relentless enemy onslaught becomes more important the longer a level takes, since there's a dramatic tension between levelling enough to defeat the largest enemies and getting that teleporter online so that the level eventually stops getting harder and harder, until at some point even your over-levelled self can't keep up and you die. Again. That said, if you beat a level, you take everything you've earned/bought with you, but if you die, you lose everything, so that's a great incentive to play smarter, rather than harder.

I should say at this point that i only played the game solo; I haven't tried the online mode yet. The Twitch stream had a four-player co-op game going on, though, and what I watched seemed to play smoothly and without any disconnects or lag. I might try some online play later, if I can convince some friends to buy the game. The game's not exactly a looker, though, so they might take some convincing, but I'll try.

I hope I've done some convincing here, too. RoR is boss, and comes highly recommended.

Play again?: Yes, undoubtedly.

How's the music in Risk Of Rain?

Jawmuncher

I HATE YOU BOTH

:(

Ahhh don't be like that.
Old habits die hard. Someday i'll remember the difference between Y's and Ys.
Probably when I actually play them and enjoy them. (Gotta be cheap and wait for the winter sale)

I hope Y's: The Ark of Napishtim is released to Steam soon, I have a very personal connection to that game (thanks to fellow GAF bro sis).

Also, I'm still undecided on buying a Vita for Y's: Memories of Celceta because I didn't much like Y's Seven.

I haven't played a single Y's game and the one on vita was actually what I was thinking of diving into first.
I know the series apparently switches a bit through the course of all its games.

I hope Y's: The Ark of Napishtim is released to Steam soon, I have a very personal connection to that game (thanks to fellow GAF bro sis).

Also, I'm still undecided on buying a Vita for Y's: Memories of Celceta because I didn't much like Y's Seven.

Anybody else got a load of unidentifiable SteamApps in their library right now?

I've got Apps 6401, 6402, 6403, 6404, 6405, 6406, 6407, 6421 & 6841 just sat in the middle of my collection.

FloatOn

man, what a missed opportunity dead rising 2 is...

the premise of running around a mall and killing a horde of zombies in zany and creative ways is very appealing it's just that even though the move sets of the weapons vary it all just amounts to button mashing.

I'm only playing the sandbox mode in OTR because I don't really care about the story at all and some of these challenges are just awful... "balloon man" for example has you running from one end of the area to the other only to then have you jump up a series of platforms and then eventually into a balloon. The thing that kills this is the fact that there are thousands of zombies in the way and you have to manage the challenge in something like 40 seconds.

I think it's time to uninstall. Dead Rising just isn't for me it seems.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

the premise of running around a mall and killing a horde of zombies in zany and creative ways is very appealing it's just that even though the move sets of the weapons vary it all just amounts to button mashing.

I'm only playing the sandbox mode in OTR because I don't really care about the story at all and some of these challenges are just awful... "balloon man" for example has you running from one end of the area to the other only to then have you jump up a series of platforms and then eventually into a balloon. The thing that kills this is the fact that there are thousands of zombies in the way and you have to manage the challenge in something like 40 seconds.

DR2 is best played in co-op I think.

Looks interesting but man, that was a terrible attempt at "mimicking" an 80's/90's ad.

Guild Wars 2 still captures it the best with their Super Adventure Box commercial.
Yeah, sure. But I just finished the first episode (currently a total of 4 episodes in the game, it seems) and wow, color me surprised, but it was highly entertaining. Fun battle mechanics and progression, Looks great too. There's even an option to display Playstation buttons, for anyone using one of those.

So never mind that trailer, you should get Saturday Morning RPG. Highlight of the day, can't wait to see what else the game comes up with.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I'm not sure if this is just a weird schtick at this point, but you should probably try the primary mode of a game before talking about how it's a missed opportunity. I'm not saying it is any better than you've made it out to be, but you simply dont have the authority.

This is better than last time, though, when you didnt even play the game you deemed to be crap.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I agree - every Dead Rising game to date has had some major flaw that really gets in the way.

The first game was fun but focused more on taking pictures of the zombies than fighting them.

Dead Rising 2 focused on combat, but had these ridiculous timers so you always felt like you're being rushed along.

Dead Rising 2 OTR (sandbox mode) suffers from the problems you mentioned.

In my opinion, Dead Rising 2 Case Zero (XBLA) was the best in the series, and it was really only meant to be a preview of Dead Rising 2.

AsylumX

Hope you all enjoy keeping those games in your Steam libraries, never to be played, as the true GAF way.

Anyways, how are you all doin-

Thanks for Just Cause 2...

Here is a little fiveaway of some keys I have lying around. Enjoy

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Chrome -- MB-96F27F311654C63D - Taken by Camel Master. 2 entrants total.
Ticket to Ride -- MB-223B8F2DB7DE8B55 - Taken by roosters93. 3 entrants total.
Ticket to Ride 1910 DLC -- MB-1D57BA978C65610B - Taken by SSPssp
Incredipede -- MB-EE2AB1076A41A0EE - Taken by Joe Molotov. 5 entrants total.
Greed Corp -- MB-DF38444816DCEC9D - Taken by Dusk Golem. 3 entrants total.

t1384025831z1.png

The-Bean

So finally got home and sorted this out. This are from the same giveaway that I hosted earlier and are not taken I believe. Though stump "took" Ittle Dew then but probably didn't use it, just for test purposes.

Anyways good luck. And I added at least Rig 'n' Roll there. And as I've said, next time I've hoarded enough keys, to gaf they go - so until then, enjoy this:

EDIT: Ittle Dew key won't work. However you (winner of Ittle Dew) will receive a steam key for another game via PM. I will contact you after the raffle (or you can as well)

A bit late but thank you for Pirates of the Black Cove Gold, I didn't notice I won until I checked 'my loot'.

Li Kao

I like of like dear esther, but the dialogues feel kind of fragmented, might actually play through it again sometime, or read all the dialogues somewhere :lol, you walk too slow in the game, but it was really pretty. Kind of short, played through it in one sitting.

Yup, you should take a peek at the wiki, all the crazy little things and theories about the game. It was really nice reading some entries and shedding light on some of the more obscure elements.

Li Kao

I'm not sure if this is just a weird schtick at this point, but you should probably try the primary mode of a game before talking about how it's a missed opportunity. I'm not saying it is any better than you've made it out to be, but you simply dont have the authority.

This is better than last time, though, when you didnt even play the game you deemed to be crap.

Hmm, no comment on the weird schtick, but Dead Rising feels indeed like a missed opportunity to me. I've played through 1 and 2 and really, the game (to me) is just a mess. Like the creators have a great setting lending itself to a lot of possibilities (the mall), a good looking engine (when the first came out) with tons of zombies, a very good sandbox on paper. And then the dev don't give a shit and don't even try to make a gameplay to go with it.
Are the games brawlers ? I sure hope not, horrible hand to hand combat. TPS ? Same, bad shooting. The few plate-forming there is is shit... I mean its pretty telling when you are looking for help against a boss and a majority of advice is 'use the glitches to your advantage'. That's Dead Rising in a nutshell to me, a very appealing base, an almost insulting execution.
Not abyssal, there is atmosphere and fun to be had. But a good gameplay ? Never found one.

Turfster

The Steam Market is being really random again.
It'd be nice if you could show all the items for sale, not a random selection of them every time I refresh.

Momentary

Banned
I didn't notice that Assetto Corsa popped up on Steam. Makes me wish that ProjectCARS would pop up with some kind of Early Access options.

morningbus

Hmm, no comment on the weird schtick, but Dead Rising feels indeed like a missed opportunity to me. I've played through 1 and 2 and really, the game (to me) is just a mess. Like the creators have a great setting lending itself to a lot of possibilities (the mall), a good looking engine (when the first came out) with tons of zombies, a very good sandbox on paper. And then the dev don't give a shit and don't even try to make a gameplay to go with it.
Are the games brawlers ? I sure hope not, horrible hand to hand combat. TPS ? Same, bad shooting. The few plate-forming there is is shit... I mean its pretty telling when you are looking for help against a boss and a majority of advice is 'use the glitches to your advantage'. That's Dead Rising in a nutshell to me, a very appealing base, an almost insulting execution.
Not abyssal, there is atmosphere and fun to be had. But a good gameplay ? Never found one.

Dont get me wrong, I didnt like Dead Rising 2 that much either, and am slowly coming to the realization that I dont like any Capcom games past the Gamecunbe generation as I work my way through my backlog.

But I still at least tried the main mode of the game.

Jawmuncher

Since were talking Dead Rising I have to say i feel the first game is still the best of the lot.
Really wish that would've seen a PC release like Lost Planet did. Dead Rising has to be the most botched series ever in terms of release since 2 and Off the Record is on PC/PS3 but none of the other games are on anything aside from Xbox.

Anyway I have to agree that you should try the Regular mode before giving up on it entirely.
Since that is far more enjoyable than the sandbox which I thought was a damn waste of time and I have played every game in the series.

My Ranking Would Go

Dead Rising
Dead Rising 2 Case Zero
Dead Rising 2 Off The Record
Dead Rising 2 Case West

Now with all of that said I will add one more thing. If you aren't liking the timed mode to the series I really don't think you ever will. I have recommended the game to so many people and that has always killed it for them. Since even in off the record the only thing that elevates it is the auto save.

For me I always felt that the off feel to the gameplay was part of the charm.
Dead Rising on 360 was a breath of fresh air when it came out and was the first truly next gen experience for me. Oddly enough I would relate my original experience with that game to Demon's Souls. Because the difficulty presented from the controls and time limit I thought made the game even more fun. I know that is odd to say since in most cases people would find that meaning the games terrible. Though obviously when I say that they aren't really close to being that bad. If anything I would compare the controls to RE5, where they are made with limits in mind. Though I could see how that might anger or annoy people. How many people still can't stand RE5 since you can't move and shoot? Answer far to many.

FloatOn

If you are talking about me making fun of that riddick game then I can kind of see where you are coming from because I didn't actually play it, but if you read back I did say that it was probably a good to average game and was mainly joking about the fact that I didn't want to be involved with anything vin diesel.

other than that I don't see where this "schtick" notion comes from.

I also don't see how playing the sandbox mode would differ too terribly much from the main mode. It would still be the same button mash and cumbersome controls regardless of the story focus or not.

morningbus

If you are talking about me making fun of that riddick game then I can kind of see where you are coming from because I didn't actually play it, but if you read back I did say that it was probably a good to average game and was mainly joking about the fact that I didn't want to be involved with anything vin diesel.

other than that I don't see where this "schtick" notion comes from.

I also don't see how playing the sandbox mode would differ too terribly much from the main mode. It would still be the same button mash and cumbersome controls regardless of the story focus or not.
The schtick I was suggesting was moving from judging a game you hadn't played to judging a game for a side mode that's offered as a bonus for fans of the series. If it's unintentional then that's fine and I'm not suggesting that Dead Rising 2 is better than that, either.

However, it's like judging a Batman game on its challenge maps and not the main game. Sure, all the mechanics are the same, but the main game is more than just that.

Li Kao

I think I have a problem guys. I played some Blops and kind of strangely want to play the rest of the newer iterations.
I don't like modern shooters, because yeah like I said some weeks ago plot is important to silly me, even B plot, and Modern Warfare has always felt in a balancing act between plain silly and offending. That's without the brain dead teammates and aimbots enemies past the normal difficulties.
Still, I'm in a hard period irl and yup, I admit, I kind of want to watch some big ass splosions and massacre of few thousand baddies right now.

Problem is not located here, catharsis is cool. But Acti, please, at 25 euros the 8 hours of solo you will be the death of me. Pls, stahp.

Anteater

Yup, you should take a peek at the wiki, all the crazy little things and theories about the game. It was really nice reading some entries and shedding light on some of the more obscure elements.

Yea, I think I might just explore every nooks amd crannies and check out all the details on a second play through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom