• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

give this game a chance, you won't regret it. It takes time to get good and grasp all things to grasp, but it's one of the games that can be played like forever, coming back when you feel like it and doing some admirable deeds.
It lasts forever too, well, almost forever, for reasons I won't mention now, better to explore it with open mind.

A question, if I may, please Arthea? Does your opinion apply evenly to all the iterations/expansions of King's Bounty, or specifically to Legends?

For someone looking to make a start with this series, would you recommend jumping straight into Warriors of the North, or is one of the other editions deemed to be the go-to stand-out title of the bunch? Or are all much of a muchness, just with differing settings/themes/attire etc?

Arthea

A question, if I may, please Arthea? Does your opinion apply evenly to all the iterations/expansions of King's Bounty, or specifically to Legends?

For someone looking to make a start with this series, would you recommend jumping straight into Warriors of the North, or is one of the other editions deemed to be the go-to stand-out title of the bunch? Or are all much of a muchness, just with differing settings/themes/attire etc?

With pleasure!
It somewhat depends on how much you like this genre. One could say that's it's more HoMM than HoMM, but that wouldn't be fair. People somehow think that King's Bounty is like HoMMs but that's not exactly so. KB has more RPG in it than HoMM, for example. If you are into hybrids of RPG and TBS, you as well may start with the Legend. But keeping in mind that my perception of this game is clouded with nostalgia, and not everybody has that much time to spare on one series, you can play what is more or less perceived as the best - Armored Princess. I know for fact that this game got new people to series. Unfortunately I played too little of Warriors of the North (in the process, which will be long and unhurried), so my summary doesn't include it.
All games are very similar in gameplay mechanics, not that they don't have enough new things, they just play very similarly, so if you like one, there is good chance you'll like all of them. Aside from that they do have different themes, unique bosses, units, spells and heroes and all looks great (meaning pleasant to an eye :)!
Talking about settings:
Armored Princess is sequel of KB and the Legend and is set in medieval world Endoria, while Warriors of the North is a Viking game in the same world, different land and lore.
Don't be discouraged by games being sequels, you don't really need to play them all to understand what's up. There are lot of explanatory text in any KB game, mostly in lengthy dialogues.

Copons

I'm hesitant on getting the Humble Weekly, as the only game I'd be slightly interested in is Galaxy on Fire 2.

How is it compared to X3 games? Is it a more accessible?
On the store page it says "partial controller support", but in the description they talk about full support for anything (m, kb, and pad), so which is which?

Card Boy

Banned
I'm hesitant on getting the Humble Weekly, as the only game I'd be slightly interested in is Galaxy on Fire 2.

On the store page it says "partial controller support", but in the description they talk about full support for anything (m, kb, and pad), so which is which?

It's a poor mans Freelancer and made for the iOS crowd.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Volgarr the Viking is serious business. Making it to the second checkpoint took me like a half hour. Think I almost reached the first boss, then felt like calling it a day.

'Do you really want to quit? You will have to start over from the beginning.' What. This game really is hardcore. Apparently you can skip levels if you make it to the end, so I hope to at least beat the first boss.

Feels great to make progress though. God I hate those plants

Deques

Very bad controller setup. The tutorial describes how to play with keyboard and mouse. But for those who wants to play with a controller they have to guess what corresponding button is.

And also in menues there is no controller support, you have to switch to mouse

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Man I don't know how to play Skullgirls, I guess it's time to look at a movelist somewhere...

So you've been on gaf the entire generation!

movelist is already in the pause menu, but reading that will only get you so far if you don't check out and BnBs n Tips on the forums :p

Arthea

Very bad controller setup. The tutorial describes how to play with keyboard and mouse. But for those who wants to play with a controller they have to guess what corresponding button is.

I don't see any reason to play space sims with controller. Why would anyone want to do that? It's countereffective

oipic

With pleasure!
It somewhat depends on how much you like this genre. One could say that's it's more HoMM than HoMM, but that wouldn't be fair. People somehow think that King's Bounty is like HoMMs but that's not exactly so. KB has more RPG in it than HoMM, for example. If you are into hybrids of RPG and TBS, you as well may start with the Legend. But keeping in mind that my perception of this game is clouded with nostalgia, and not everybody has that much time to spare on one series, you can play what is more or less perceived as the best - Armored Princess. I know for fact that this game got new people to series. Unfortunately I played too little of Warriors of the North (in the process, which will be long and unhurried), so my summary doesn't include it.
All games are very similar in gameplay mechanics, not that they don't have enough new things, they just play very similarly, so if you like one, there is good chance you'll like all of them. Aside from that they do have different themes, unique bosses, units, spells and heroes and all looks great (meaning pleasant to an eye :)!
Talking about settings:
Armored Princess is sequel of KB and the Legend and is set in medieval world Endoria, while Warriors of the North is a Viking game in the same world, different land and lore.
Don't be discouraged by games being sequels, you don't really need to play them all to understand what's up. There are lot of explanatory text in any KB game, mostly in lengthy dialogues.

Great, thanks very much for the thoughtful and detailed response, Arthea - much appreciated!

I gave Legends a quick go a few years back (not long enough to get immersed), but soon heard there was an expansion on the way, so put it aside for awhile, then added that expansion to my backlog... only to soon hear that the expansion itself was receiving an expansion - and so I waited to the point that I never got back to it. Will jump in somewhere and finally give it a proper go, I think - thanks again. :)

Copons

It's a poor mans Freelancer and made for the iOS crowd.

Don't know Freelancer, but actually the fact that this is a mobile game goes totally in its favor, as I don't have the strength to endure a complex strategy/sim at the moment.

I don't see any reason to play space sims with controller. Why would anyone want to do that? It's countereffective

Well, if well implemented, piloting a ship with controller should be easier and more comfortable than with m/kb.
Also, at home I don't have an external keyboard and I have to use the MacBook Pro one, with all the heating burning my left wrist. :(

Arthea

Great, thanks very much for the thoughtful and detailed response, Arthea - much appreciated!

I gave Legends a quick go a few years back (not long enough to get immersed), but soon heard there was an expansion on the way, so put it aside for awhile, then added that expansion to my backlog... only to soon hear that the expansion itself was receiving an expansion - and so I waited to the point that I never got back to it. Will jump in somewhere and finally give it a proper go, I think - thanks again. :)

No problem :)
These are slow games and it takes long time to get strong in them, so I understand that many people are put off by this but they really are worth a try.

Steam keys for 99 Spirits are available in the Indie Royale Alaska bundle.
Every key also activates Tsukumogami, which was only supposed to be in the Special Edition I think?

P6IEd2I.png

+2

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Every key also activates Tsukumogami, which was only supposed to be in the Special Edition I think?

P6IEd2I.png

+2

Missed that bundle in my MMO haze, unfortunately.

Just bought X: Rebirth though, too bad it won't unlock until I'm asleep.

Edit: Also just wanted to tell Jase that I watched The Host tonight, and it was good! (lol)

Arthea

Well, if well implemented, piloting a ship with controller should be easier and more comfortable than with m/kb.
Also, at home I don't have an external keyboard and I have to use the MacBook Pro one, with all the heating burning my left wrist. :(

at least your hands are worm, look at the bright side!

pic.

+2

why oh why I skipped this bundle :(

Batman : Arkham City has been driving me absolutely mental. It's just randomly decided it does not want to work anymore. It keeps crashing after pressing start and "searching for DLC". I've no idea why it's stopped working all of a sudden, every solution I've searched for doesn't work (messing with Steam Cloud settings, drivers, directX, framework repairs etc. etc.) and even a quick Windows re-install on another drive has been fruitless.

I've had a good run, one year after getting back into PC gaming, no problems, games work without major troubleshooting; however, this has been driving me mental. I was really enjoying the game as well, and know I can't play it anymore. I desperately want to kill someone, preferably with a batarang. But, I can't. Why does my PC hate me?

Did it activate all other bonus items?

I don't think so.

Also just found a key for Vox in my Groupees Adventure Role Playing bundle, but I may be a bit behind on that stuff.

EDIT: 99 Spirits also has 8 cards, and cards with animu pictures on them are always worth quite a bit more than others.

poopninjamvc3mk

Batman : Arkham City has been driving me absolutely mental. It's just randomly decided it does not want to work anymore. It keeps crashing after pressing start and "searching for DLC". I've no idea why it's stopped working all of a sudden, every solution I've searched for doesn't work (messing with Steam Cloud settings, drivers, directX, framework repairs etc. etc.) and even a quick Windows re-install on another drive has been fruitless.

I've had a good run, one year after getting back into PC gaming, no problems, games work without major troubleshooting; however, this has been driving me mental. I was really enjoying the game as well, and know I can't play it anymore. I desperately want to kill someone, preferably with a batarang. But, I can't. Why does my PC hate me?

Tried uninstalling steam completely along with AC? Worked for me when darksiders was tripping.

Tellaerin

And meanwhile, in the cold dark world that is the PS4 launch, Hideo Kojima's "mind-blowing revelation" regarding MGS 5 is...exclusive DLC for the PS4 that lets you play as "Classic Snake"...a feature which was already present in MGS 4.

Put MGS 5 on PC and we'll mod it so you can play as whoever you damn well please. >.>

Jawmuncher

Forgot I had Dark Souls on this laptop. Im scared to play it though.
I have a feeling the game will run like a train that fell off it's tracks.

Pachimari

Yes, you are not limited to any particular piece of hardware. If you get a Steam Machine running Linux then it will only run games that support Linux, or games that are streamed from other gaming hardware.

Oh, I can imagine only a few games support Linux? Do any of the developers have plans to make their games support Linux?

Now I'm worried about buying a Steam Machine heh.

Tried uninstalling steam completely along with AC? Worked for me when darksiders was tripping.

That's the next major step. The other is more questionable in terms of ethics. If I can't fix it, do I try the pirate version of the same game? I just want to play the game, I've enjoyed playing it over the last few days and it's drove me crazy trying to fix the damn thing over this past day or so.

If a fresh Steam install doesn't work, that's the next step I'm going to try, because I just want to play the game. Curse you PC gaming, why did you have to turn on me all of a sudden?

Oh, I can imagine only a few games support Linux? Do any of the developers have plans to make their games support Linux?

Now I'm worried about buying a Steam Machine heh.

There have been a couple of announcements lately (pCars, Metro and Rome 2) and Valve said they're working with devs, expect more AAA games announcements. Indies probably won't be a huge problem.

It's going to be a slow process though and I'm not sure how they'll handle older and legacy games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Edit: Also just wanted to tell Jase that I watched The Host tonight, and it was good!

Awesome. :) Personally, I didn't think much of it* and maintain that it was a mistake to squash such a tome into a single film (despite the runtime it felt rushed and disjointed). I actually feel a little bad for Saoirse because she continually talked about how the prospect of playing a dual-character role was fascinating and Niccol handled it in the most dull way possible, not to mention the nature of the film ("the next movie from Stephenie Meyer") was expected to propel her into mainstream success.

If you get a chance, I'd highly recommend watching How I Live Now. It doesn't hit theatres here until the 28th but I jumped through a few hoops to rent it from Amazon.

* It's since been pointed out to me that the sudden shift was intentional on part of the characters. I suppose I really did doze off. :p

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Awesome. :) Personally, I didn't think much of it* and maintain that it was a mistake to squash such a tome into a single film (despite the runtime it felt rushed and disjointed). I actually feel a little bad for Saoirse because she continually talked about how the prospect of playing a dual-character role was fascinating and Niccol handled it in the most dull way possible, not to mention the nature of the film ("the next movie from Stephenie Meyer") was expected to propel her into mainstream success.

If you get a chance, I'd highly recommend watching How I Live Now. It doesn't hit theatres here until the 28th but I jumped through a few hoops to rent it from Amazon.

* It's since been pointed out to me that the sudden shift was intentional on part of the characters. I suppose I really did doze off. :p

I included the (lol) at the end of my post while you were writing this up, but I pretty much agree with you. =p I didn't HATE it though, and I made it through fine and the fault wasn't really on her (other than some of that internal voice acting, but it could have been recorded out of context beyond her control, I guess). I'll definitely check out more Saoirse in the future. This was the first movie I've seen with her in it so things can only go up, right?

poopninjamvc3mk

Forgot I had Dark Souls on this laptop. Im scared to play it though.
I have a feeling the game will run like a train that fell off it's tracks.

Well Dark Souls runs decently on Intel HD 4000 and above so you may have a chance to run it if you have a better gpu in your laptop.

I included the (lol) at the end of my post while you were writing this up, but I pretty much agree with you. =p I didn't HATE it though, and I made it through fine and the fault wasn't really on her. I'll definitely check out more Saoirse in the future. This was the first movie I've seen with her in it so things can only go up, right?

Then definitely check out How I Live Now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I included the (lol) at the end of my post while you were writing this up, but I pretty much agree with you. =p I didn't HATE it though, and I made it through fine and the fault wasn't really on her (other than some of that internal voice acting, but it could have been recorded out of context beyond her control, I guess). I'll definitely check out more Saoirse in the future. This was the first movie I've seen with her in it so things can only go up, right?

Haha, most certainly! I've yet to see Justin and the Knights of Valour as I'm still waiting on a "home video" release -- it co-stars Banderas, though, so I'm sure GAF would love it. :p

Edit (adjusted here since the thread is locked):

Jawmuncher

Well Dark Souls runs decently on Intel HD 4000 and above so you may have a chance to run it if you have a better gpu in your laptop.

I have a 3000 and I just booted up the game.
Don't think I can bother with this one. It's "playable" but that framerate is a bit to much for me to handle. DSfix only improves the game right? I wouldn't be able to use it to lower settings. Since I tried disabling Motion Blur and AA and didn't notice an improvement unless I needed to do that while not playing.

EDIT: Im doing some looking and it looks like it just aint gonna happen with this laptop.

oipic

SteamGAF moves quickly, my humble apologies if this is old-old news:

'Patch 2.0' for Crusader Kings II is introducing Steam Workshop support and achievements, among many other tweaks and fixes.

Paradox's dev studio may have had a (justified) reputation for skimping on pre-release QA in the past, but you sure can't fault them for their post-release support these days.

Arthea

'Patch 2.0' for Crusader Kings II is introducing Steam Workshop support and achievements, among many other tweaks and fixes.

Paradox's dev studio may have had a (justified) reputation for skimping on pre-release QA in the past, but you sure can't fault them for their post-release support these days.

great news, thanks for posting it
It was one of games than tend to stop responding if I remember correctly, hopefully not anymore.

Anteater

Man that xbox controller picture looks classy.

Cerebella is the easiest character to use personally.

movelist is already in the pause menu, but reading that will only get you so far if you don't check out and BnBs n Tips on the forums :p

Thanks! I'll give it a go.

Well tried skull girls for a bit and my DS3's d-pad tore up my thumb. I need to get my stick back soon!

Yeah no kidding, don't have a stick though :(

Good news. Having a subscription to the GoT mod would be more than useful (not to mention a working download site)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom