• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm360

Wasn't there a site that scanned your game library and listed what games had the most valuable trading cards?

Anyone still got the link?

Overdoziz

Banned
Started Dark Souls last week. Great game and surprisingly relaxing because you can just put music on in the background because there aren't constant cutscenes with dialogue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
As I'm enjoying Full Bore so much, I figure I should replace the one I got as a gift with another gift.

I did mess up a bit and ended up having to just ask for a Desura code rather than a code from IndieGameStand as I meant to, so hopefully it works out okay for whomever grabs it.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Full Bore Desura -- MB-1AF1D9106F12D6C5 - Taken by NingenJanai. 9 entrants total.

t1384587556z1.png

AsylumX

How does that work anyways?

I've never played DOTA before.. Like the other F2P do you gave to buy something to get drops?

Or is it like TF (also haven't tried) that has lower value drops at longer intervals unless you pay?

That's the beautiful part of it, you just have to play games. The thinks is that if you are going to do it just to make money it's kind of stupid. On the other hand, if you really like the game or you want to try it, you can play the "halloween" mode Diretide and earn between .20 to .60 per game. Each game is like 18 mins or less. It used to be more money for each game but it seems that the prizes have stabilize.

I just realize i didn't answer your question. NO, you don't have to pay to improve your drop rate or anything and the things you can buy are purely comestic. no in-game advantage.

Tellaerin

"The last Metroid EDF general is in captivity dead. The galaxy Mars is at peace."

So I finally finished Red Faction: Guerrilla the other day.

I had planned to post about my experiences with the game when I finished it. I had a great time tooling around Mars smashing the living hell out of everything with my trusty sledgehammer, toppling buildings with demo charges, and frying people inside their vehicles with a modified arc welder before jacking those same vehicles for myself. Some missions walked a fine line between fun and frustration because of the sheer number of enemies that would spawn, but for the most part, I was having a good time.

Then I reached Mount Vogel.

Fucking Mount Vogel.

Have you ever hit that one mission in an otherwise good game that was almost enough to sour you on the entire experience? "Mars Attacks" was that mission.

Not to give too much away, for those who haven't actually played it, but we're talking about a mission where you have to make your way to the top of a mountain (the aforementioned Mount Vogel) crawling with enemy troops, with a boss battle waiting for you at the end. You're given a missile-launching tank that shrugs off small arms fire, but vehicles and soldiers armed with rapid-fire gauss weapons that can shred your armor are thick on the ground. This means you've got about a snowball's chance in hell of keeping your ride together more than halfway up the mountain. Once you're on foot, you can try to grab an enemy vehicle for yourself, but those don't tend to last long. Not with everything on the map raining fire at you. And better yet, the alert status during this mission is permanently set to red, which means that you've got infinitely spawning enemies to contend with. Enemies in heavily armed APC's and jeeps. Who will drive on up, then sit there and pour round after round into you. Or just run your ass over. Or run your ass over, then open up on you. Fun.

^ That APC in the middle there? That's me. Those other ones all around me? Those are enemies firing at me. Throw in a bunch of ground troops firing at you while this is happening plus maybe a guard tower or two with tripod-mounted guns raining fire on your position and you have a good picture of what to expect non-stop on your journey.

All in all, I'd say I must've put in a good six hours or so trying to get to the top of that damn mountain. To add insult to injury, there's no checkpoint save before the final boss battle, so if you happen to die in that fight, it's back to the bottom of the mountain for you. Time to go through that hell all over again.

In the end, I managed to beat Red Faction: Guerrilla, more through sheer persistence than anything. I experimented with different weapons loadouts and tried alternate strategies, but none of it really made much of a difference. It pretty much came down to, "Keep the missile tank together for as long as possible, then run like hell and pray you don't die before the boss." That difficulty spike at the end really makes me wonder who playtested this game, and what the designers were thinking (or smoking, as the case may be). I'd still recommend the game to other people - it's definitely fun - but you're probably better off just skipping the final mission and Youtubing the ending unless you're feeling masochistic. :p

"The last Metroid EDF general is in captivity dead. The galaxy Mars is at peace."

So I finally finished Red Faction: Guerrilla the other day.

I had planned to post about my experiences with the game when I finished it. I had a great time tooling around Mars smashing the living hell out of everything with my trusty sledgehammer, toppling buildings with demo charges, and frying people inside their vehicles with a modified arc welder before jacking those same vehicles for myself. Some missions walked a fine line between fun and frustration because of the sheer number of enemies that would spawn, but for the most part, I was having a good time.

Then I reached Mount Vogel.

Fucking Mount Vogel.

Have you ever hit that one mission in an otherwise good game that was almost enough to sour you on the entire experience? "Mars Attacks" was that mission.

Not to give too much away, for those who haven't actually played it, but we're talking about a mission where you have to make your way to the top of a mountain (the aforementioned Mount Vogel) crawling with enemy troops, with a boss battle waiting for you at the end. You're given a missile-launching tank that shrugs off small arms fire, but vehicles and soldiers armed with rapid-fire gauss weapons that can shred your armor are thick on the ground. This means you've got about a snowball's chance in hell of keeping your ride together more than halfway up the mountain. Once you're on foot, you can try to grab an enemy vehicle for yourself, but those don't tend to last long. Not with everything on the map raining fire at you. And better yet, the alert status during this mission is permanently set to red, which means that you've got infinitely spawning enemies to contend with. Enemies in heavily armed APC's and jeeps. Who will drive on up, then sit there and pour round after round into you. Or just run your ass over. Or run your ass over, then open up on you. Fun.

^ That APC in the middle there? That's me. Those other ones all around me? Those are enemies firing at me. Throw in a bunch of ground troops firing at you while this is happening plus maybe a guard tower or two with tripod-mounted guns raining fire on your position and you have a good picture of what to expect non-stop on your journey.

All in all, I'd say I must've put in a good six hours or so trying to get to the top of that damn mountain. To add insult to injury, there's no checkpoint save before the final boss battle, so if you happen to die in that fight, it's back to the bottom of the mountain for you. Time to go through that hell all over again.

In the end, I managed to beat Red Faction: Guerrilla, more through sheer persistence than anything. I experimented with different weapons loadouts and tried alternate strategies, but none of it really made much of a difference. It pretty much came down to, "Keep the missile tank together for as long as possible, then run like hell and pray you don't die before the boss." That difficulty spike at the end really makes me wonder who playtested this game, and what the designers were thinking (or smoking, as the case may be). I'd still recommend the game to other people - it's definitely fun - but you're probably better off just skipping the final mission and Youtubing the ending unless you're feeling masochistic. :p
its on my PS3 backlog to be played after Deus Ex and Jak 2+3

I'd been playing through the game on Normal and having a good time up until that last mission. Dialing the difficulty down would've felt like I was wussing out, if that makes sense. >.>

But if it's ruinning your experience... I'd rather lower the difficulty and have fun than get frustrated.

I know what you mean though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If the developer arbitrarily defines what "normal" is, so can you. Especially if they put in bullshit like an infinite supply of enemies without an infinite means (requiring skill to attain, of course) of recouping armor/health and nowhere to hide and no way to dodge everything no matter how skillful you are, so that as you said you are just making a mad dash and hoping you get lucky that time when the AI arbitrarily misses you enough times.

I'm in favor of smart challenge. Watch pros play perfect runs of DMC3 at high difficulties and you will see how a quality game is designed. But if a game is designed like bullshit, I will use whatever bullshit is available to me to enjoy myself. I don't play games to prove myself to anyone, and even if well designed, if I get bored from the learning process, I don't handle them like chores in developing skillsets I'll never use again because they are such particular mechanics (unlike fighters and racers where skills easily transfer through the genre larger). I play them for fun and fantasy adventure. That is my bottom line.

Sober

I'd been playing through the game on Normal and having a good time up until that last mission. Dialing the difficulty down would've felt like I was wussing out, if that makes sense. >.>
No, RF:G is just not that fun with the extra difficulty tied to it. It was definitely more fun setting it on easy and just running around haphazardly blowing shit up with remote explosives or slamming into people with a sledgehammer.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No, RF:G is just not that fun with the extra difficulty tied to it. It was definitely more fun setting it on easy and just running around haphazardly blowing shit up with remote explosives or slamming into people with a sledgehammer.
My fav moment was when I had to raid this place and there were like 8-12 guys who wanted to do it with me. I was like fuck you guys, I'm not doing this the sissy way so I hope you're down to play with death.

I took the most forceful vehicle I could find, loaded as many mines onto it as I could, drove over the thing that adds the superbomb, drove as fast as I could right through their front barrier, dove out of the truck while watching it crash through the front wall of the complex, then let it rip. Mission was complete after like 10 seconds of explosions and crumbling.

The surprising thing is my guys seemed to realize what was up and bailed out of the truck. I think only one died from the explosion and two died under crumbling building because they thought fighting soldiers was more important than getting the fuck out.

Jawmuncher

So there's no talk on Dynasty Warriors coming to other Steams?

Also since were talkin RF:G I thought it was fun but it sure was lacking personally. I beat it and had no desire to go back to it.
Red Faction 2 on the other hand is a masterpiece that more people should play.

Tellaerin

Also since were talkin RF:G I thought it was fun but it sure was lacking personally. I beat it and had no desire to go back to it.

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up RF1 and 2 when they were in a bundle. I started RF2 ages ago and enjoyed what little I played, but at the time I was between houses and playing games a PS2 with a 7" clip-on travel screen. I remember getting to a level (somewhere underwater? I think?) where the visibility was so bad on my little screen that I literally couldn't see where I was supposed to be going and couldn't get further in the game, so I ended up trading it in. I'd love to play it all the way through one of these days.

Jawmuncher

It's never been available on the store at all, oddly enough.

Someone at Koei has messed up big time.

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up RF1 and 2 when they were in a bundle. I started RF2 ages ago and enjoyed what little I played, but at the time I was between houses and playing games a PS2 with a 7' clip-on travel screen. I remember getting to a level (somewhere underwater? I think?) where the visibility was so bad on my little screen that I literally couldn't see where I was supposed to be going and couldn't get further in the game, so I ended up trading it in. I'd love to play it all the way through one of these days.

I regret not grabbing more 1 dollar tier of that bundle and handing them out. RF1 and RF2 are great games. Terrible you had to try and enjoy the game with that sort of screen. I would have done the same thing in the end. The RF2 PC port if you do get your hands on it is good. The Menu UI is a bit crap since it was a straight console port but it all works well enough and thankfully they kept the Bot Mode in. Real MP would've been better but eh I can live with that.

Tagyhag

Some Asian devs go about the worst way to port games on the PC. And then use that as evidence as to why they don't port their games in their first place.

Blizzard

Banned
I just finished Contrast, in about 4 hours according to Steam. Since I replayed a couple of sections due to jank/getting stuck, and since I tend to go slow in games, normal person play time is probably about 3 hours as other have said. I would say it's worth it for $10-15 if you like the graphical and music style.

What I didn't expect was the story. All the stuff about Didi, her family, and her "I can fix this" with everything hit me right in the feels. =/ That and the isolation made for a memorable and atmospheric game.

Oh and right as I was finishing the last level, I'm convinced my left monitor (which I had turned off because I was playing on the right one) STARTED TO GLOW like it was showing a black screen slightly backlit. I then hit the power button thinking it was just in power save mode...and it turned on for real. Creepy coincidence, and/or me imagining things late at night.

Tizoc

I just finished Contrast, in about 4 hours according to Steam. Since I replayed a couple of sections due to jank/getting stuck, and since I tend to go slow in games, normal person play time is probably about 3 hours as other have said. I would say it's worth it for $10-15 if you like the graphical and music style.

What I didn't expect was the story. All the stuff about Didi, her family, and her "I can fix this" with everything hit me right in the feels. =/ That and the isolation made for a memorable and atmospheric game.

Oh and right as I was finishing the last level, I'm convinced my left monitor (which I had turned off because I was playing on the right one) STARTED TO GLOW like it was showing a black screen slightly backlit. I then hit the power button thinking it was just in power save mode...and it turned on for real. Creepy coincidence, and/or me imagining things late at night.
Wow it's THAT short a game? I got it for Steam for $12 from GMG, will see if I like it on PS3 first and I like it enough, I'll redeem my Steam code.
There's no issues with the visual performance correct?

Blizzard

Banned
Wow it's THAT short a game? I got it for Steam for $12 from GMG, will see if I like it on PS3 first and I like it enough, I'll redeem my Steam code.
Yes, it's that short. I played on a GTX 770, 4.2 GHz 3570k , 8GB memory, and did not ever notice any performance issue whatsoever.

There were some loads when starting areas, but I don't have an SSD and I never even noticed any Mirror's Edge style streaming hitches, so it may load everything in at once. In fact, I never noticed texture pop-in either, but maybe the filter hides it.

wazoo

I had to fix vsync through Radeon control panel. You can also max pretty much everything through tweaks, and still 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom