• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I signed up and I'm cheering for JShackles, but the truth is, if he gets hired, we'll prolly lose the Price-comparison aspect of Enhanced Steam.. :(

Grief.exe

I signed up and I'm cheering for JShackles, but the truth is, if he gets hired, we'll prolly lose the Price-comparison aspect of Enhanced Steam.. :(

Likely, Enhanced Steam would be completely separate from his professional obligations. It would still exist in its current form and he would still be able to update it on his own time.

Has anyone tried out Signal Ops yet? I like the art style and the gameplay looks interesting. If it weren't for the fact that I am saving my monies for the next steam sale around the corner I might have just gone ahead and gotten it. Onto the wishlist it goes!

AsylumX

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah not sure what I was thinking. I re-wrote the piece to be a little more personable and to provide people with a small list of reasons why a company like Valve might actually want to hire me. :)

I'm glad I could help. I like the new version, it's more clean and professional.

Is Legend of Grimrock that good? I don't know whether to get it or Reus...

Self quote...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Likely, Enhanced Steam would be completely separate from his professional obligations. It would still exist in its current form and he would still be able to update it on his own time.

Grief is correct, though if I were hired by Valve I likely would not continue to be the administrator of Enhanced Steam and would be passing the torch on to one of the other code contributors. The project is open source, so it won't be going anywhere.

Completed FEAR 1, moving onto the Extraction Point expansion.
It's been great so far. The set-pieces are varied and challenging, though some involve filling large areas with soldiers spawning out of nowhere(kinda ehhh on that).

Also testing out a stream. Unfortunately due to only having about 5 mbps upload to work with, the bitrate and FPS are mediocre.

oipic

I re-wrote the piece to be a little more personable and to provide people with a small list of reasons why a company like Valve might actually want to hire me. :)

Signed, and would sign again. It reads really well now, by the way, jshack.

(I've made a mental note to run my next project submission past AsylumX before hitting 'send'!).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cutting it a bit close there, Ubi:

Available: November 20th, 2013

This game will unlock in approximately 14 hours
32627 Assassin's Creed Black Flag Digital Standard Edition Pre-Order (RU+CIS) said:
about 2 hours ago Removed onlyallowrunincountries – RU AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD TJ TM UZ UA LV LT EE

But, hey, better late than never! For comparison, the region lock was removed from the original DDE sub two weeks ago.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Cutting it a bit close there, Ubi:

I always get the impression that you never sleep.

Signed, and would sign again. It reads really well now, by the way, jshack.

Thank you and everyone for your support. For those just now joining us, here is the petition in question. Promise I'll stop spamming it now, but seriously folks, tell your friends and Steammates. :)

oipic

I always get the impression that you never sleep.

Jase is three hours (and some, not I, would harshly suggest several years) behind those of us in Melbourne, time-wise, and he was merrily posting (and giving away oodles of stuff, for what it's worth) when I was up and about getting ready for work this morning.

I too doubt that Jase sleeps. Wouldn't have him any other way, though.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm still not convinced JaseC isn't secretly a ModBot #, whose duty it is to collect games, with the occasional assistance in handing them out.

Which by the road, thank you for Dirt 2.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm still wondering if my 100 rubles pre-order of Assassin's Creed IV and Watch_Dogs is going to go through on the Ubisoft store.

I filled in my CC information correctly, but there wasn't a Brazil option for country (since it was by code I went with the closest one, Barbados, which is BB as opposed to BR) but I don't think I ever got charged on my CC.

Fingers crossed

Seriously? I cant play Max Payne without creating an account with rockstar social club? Off to the never to be played shit pile with you max payne. There a shit load of never to be played uplay titles to keep you company. bunch of fucking cocksuckers with this never ending amount of fuckin log ins they expect me to keep track of forever.

FOX_

Neo Member
I'm still wondering if my 100 rubles pre-order of Assassin's Creed IV and Watch_Dogs is going to go through on the Ubisoft store.

I filled in my CC information correctly, but there wasn't a Brazil option for country (since it was by code I went with the closest one, Barbados, which is BB as opposed to BR) but I don't think I ever got charged on my CC.

Fingers crossed

Really hoping that the extra time Ubisoft has for putting out Watch_Dogs will be put into optimization, so that the final requirements aren't nearly as steep as the "leaked" ones. Or at least still have support for DX10... :(

Caerith

I've got to say. After wanting to play The 39 Steps very badly, it has been quite disappointing. I was kind of expecting more telling of the story through actual scenes (like the projector style scenes that occasionally play), rather than just art work with text laid over it with optional reading in some menus. The way it is now I would rather read the book, but I got it from a give away so I will finish it and maybe read the book after or something.
I hoped it would be more game and less "follow the prompts to continue," but, to be fair, I could say the same about most games these days. At least this one is well-written.

neoism

thanks bornlivedie for Dead Space... seeing how BF3 is obsolete I never have to use Origin now... I would love to try TitanFall but would prob get bored anyway.. it looks way to much like cod....
thanks <3

AsylumX

Seriously? I cant play Max Payne without creating an account with rockstar social club? Off to the never to be played shit pile with you max payne. There a shit load of never to be played uplay titles to keep you company. bunch of fucking cocksuckers with this never ending amount of fuckin log ins they expect me to keep track of forever.

Rockstar Social Club is not that bad. And i also got a previous account from GTA IV, so it wasn't a huge problem.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Hey, so.. instead of being so absurdly revolted about this very little detail, why don't you just create an account, log to it once, set it to remember and then never bother with it ever again?

okayfrog

Banned
One thing that really fucking bugs me about Electronic Super Joy is the fact that it sometimes counts deaths in levels without checkpoints. That is such utter bullshit. What, am I supposed to exit out of the level each fucking time before attempting again? Goddammit I am fucking pissed off right now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Grief is correct, though if I were hired by Valve I likely would not continue to be the administrator of Enhanced Steam and would be passing the torch on to one of the other code contributors. The project is open source, so it won't be going anywhere.

My question is: Why do you want to be hired by Valve? To improve the client, sure. But what is your goals in improving the client?

If I was Gabe, I'd ask you this. You can't show lowest prices for obvious reasons. So that leaves the friend management and all the other stuff. But your future goals in revamping the client would be...?

Hey, so.. instead of being so absurdly revolted about this very little detail, why don't you just create an account, log to it once, set it to remember and then never bother with it ever again?

Because if he forgets, he can't replay that stuff? I dunno if R.S.C. validates his details like Uplay but Uplay is the DRM for Ubisoft titles.

I do find it a little ridiculous to stop just because of a login but whatever. His time.

10 years from now? 15 years from now? Cause I dont need to keep track of a bullshit name and password for 15 years just to play Half Life. I'm just sick of it from everywhere. I'm not creating any account and I'm not playing the game. I've yet to play a game on uplay because i'm not writing down and keeping track of much as 1 more goddamn login. It's enough. All of these games go into the garbage game custom list. Z- never going to play these games. All the way at the bottom of my Steam library where I never see them again. max payne 3, rayman legends, far cry 3, not one of those games is worth so much as writing the log in details into a text document if it means i have to keep track of this shit for as long as I want to play the game. Which in my case is forever. If I wanted games with an expiration date I'd be a chump ass console gamer.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
10 years from now? 15 years from now? Cause I dont need to keep track of a bullshit name and password for 15 years just to play Half Life. I'm just sick of it from everywhere. I'm not creating any account and I'm not playing the game. I've yet to play a game on uplay because i'm not writing down and keeping track of much as 1 more goddamn login. It's enough. All of these games go into the garbage game custom list. Z- never going to play these games. All the way at the bottom of my Steam library where I never see them again. max payne 3, rayman legends, far cry 3, not one of those games is worth so much as writing the log in details into a text document if it means i have to keep track of this shit for as long as I want to play the game. Which in my case is forever. If I wanted games with an expiration date I'd be a chump ass console gamer.

just make a default username and make content-sensitive passwords.

For instance: rockstaryousuck420blazeit or maybe StupidRockstarShittyClub

Your username and/or email is always the same, so you can always retrieve your passwords if need be.

It's not the end of the world. Besides, you DO need to remember your password to play Half Life 2. Your Steam password, but still... in the end of the day, it's your loss.

Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shelter -- MB-F0545818749AAC49 - Taken by hlhbk

Tizoc

So rumor going around is that this Wednesday Sonic Racing Transformed may get an update and the DLC characters'll be revealed. Any noticeable changes to the game's Steam registry recently?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jase is three hours (and some, not I, would harshly suggest several years) behind those of us in Melbourne, time-wise, and he was merrily posting (and giving away oodles of stuff, for what it's worth) when I was up and about getting ready for work this morning.

The NBN rollout here certainly is. :p

I too doubt that Jase sleeps. Wouldn't have him any other way, though.

<3

So rumor going around is that this Wednesday Sonic Racing Transformed may get an update and the DLC characters'll be revealed. Any noticeable changes to the game's Steam registry recently?

The app listing was last updated 15 hours ago and there's also this (it's DLC).

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Speaking of Jade Empire, how is the conversion?
There is my friend who is interested but then I noticed a review on Steam (from some GAFfer) saying it's converted very badly and totally unsupported.
So, is it at least playable or patchable with some mod?

Any thoughts? Looks like a worthy purchase..

I played the retail box PC version of Jade Empire a couple of years ago and it played just fine out of the box. YMMV of course, but I encountered no bugs that I remember, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I plan on replaying it again at some point after clearing out more of my backlog.

I played the retail box PC version of Jade Empire a couple of years ago and it played just fine out of the box. YMMV of course, but I encountered no bugs that I remember, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I plan on replaying it again at some point after clearing out more of my backlog.

I've still got my original steelbook version from when it was released. Works fine and looked as good as a XBOX conversion can when I replayed it about 18 months ago.

DTKT

I could never get into Jade Empire. It was mostly the weird steam-punk/ancient China setting putting me off.

Weird game.

Grief.exe

My question is: Why do you want to be hired by Valve? To improve the client, sure. But what is your goals in improving the client?

If I was Gabe, I'd ask you this. You can't show lowest prices for obvious reasons. So that leaves the friend management and all the other stuff. But your future goals in revamping the client would be...?

Why did you latch onto that feature? There are plenty of other features associated with Enhanced Steam that improve the user experience tremendously.
To answer your question he would probably cite the numerous shortcomings of the client in its current form.

But that is assuming he would even work on the client. His work with Enhanced Steam just shows that he is self-motivated and knowledgeable.

Vibranium

Banned
2K did the work, I don't think he is implying that people at Valve did it though.

He is probably just saying anything is possible with the right people.

Yep you summed up what I said exactly Grief. Of course, such a large undertaking for a client redesign may be too much to handle for the Steam team right now though.

Tenrius

Why? Because Bioware and Bethesda are dead? This generation killed off so many great developers.

Oh, it's just that it's been longer than I realized. And yes, it was actually the last Bioware game I enjoyed.

Or maybe because he feels old. The Half-Life thread celebrating its 15th anniversary sure as hell mad me feel like that.

Hehe, can't say I'm really feeling old. I am, after all, extremely young (20) compared to some folks in this thread and on GAF in general. The passage of time is an impressive thing regardless, especially if you remember everything so vividly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom