• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

Hmm... I've been ignoring these Free-to-Play's for too long.

I'm gonna download War Thunder and Panzar on a whim. What could go wrong?

Arthea

iWEkZCbwXzN4S.png

you asked, just telling

You could love them and spend a huge amount of time engrossed in the action. You will make new friends to fight alongside and also get annoyed by other people who get you quite angry. A little sleep will be lost thinking about the people who ruin your experience, but you slowly learn to ignore the bad eggs and focus on the positives so your enjoyment continues.

You then start spending more and more money to compete at a higher level and stay alongside the friends you are getting to know outside of the game. It never gets out of hand, but you are conscious of spending too much out of your monthly budget. Ultimately you decide it is worth it for you because you want to engage more with the community you are now a part of. Some of them you have on twitter, another person posts often on your facebook account and you hope to meet up with them "soon".

Finally you start to get bored with the games and wonder what else is available. You crave a more complete experience that isn't so demanding on your time and wallet. It is at this point that you purchase and play through the complete edition of Assassin's creed 3.

That is what could go wrong.

Seanspeed

Banned
Aw man. Tried to buy Mass Effect 3 from the Amazon sale, but I cant link it to my Origin account(probably because I'm in the UK). Lousy.

Spent the last few hours modding New Vegas so I haven't spent any time putting together my deal wishlist.

What deals is everyone buying/looking forward to?

Milamber

You could love them and spend a huge amount of time engrossed in the action. You will make new friends to fight alongside and also get annoyed by other people who get you quite angry. A little sleep will be lost thinking about the people who ruin your experience, but you slowly learn to ignore the bad eggs and focus on the positives so your enjoyment continues.

You then start spending more and more money to compete at a higher level and stay alongside the friends you are getting to know outside of the game. It never gets out of hand, but you are conscious of spending too much out of your monthly budget. Ultimately you decide it is worth it for you because you want to engage more with the community you are now a part of. Some of them you have on twitter, another person posts often on your facebook account and you hope to meet up with them "soon".

Finally you start to get bored with the games and wonder what else is available. You crave a more complete experience that isn't so demanding on your time and wallet. It is at this point that you purchase and play through the complete edition of Assassin's creed 3.

That is what could go wrong.

Wow, I didn't even get AC3 yet. It can't be that bad? Can I skip it and go straight to AC4?

Jawmuncher

It's dead, the game is a novelty item that quickly loses its appeal.

I love all the earlier talk that said this game was going to be a FGC game for years to come. It's fun no doubt but like you said it loses appeal pretty quick.

-----------------------------------

Grabbed Enslaved, Ridge Racer, and 2 copies of Star Trek from the amazon sale.
They won't be any cheaper during the Steam Sale. Now I just have to see if Steam will lower Ace Combat to 4.99. It's still 7.49 on amazon.

It's dead, the game is a novelty item that quickly loses its appeal.

Sort of chicken and the egg problem for me. It is only fun when played against other people... but since there are no people to play against, nobody wants to play.

I think it is a good enough game to have in your library. You might just drag it out on your steambox one day, when you are your mates are pissed.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Sort of chicken and the egg problem for me. It is only fun when played against other people... but since there are no people to play against, nobody wants to play.

I think it is a good enough game to have in your library. You might just drag it out on your steambox one day, when you are your mates are pissed.
I would play if you'd like.
Grabbed Enslaved, Ridge Racer, and 2 copies of Star Trek from the amazon sale.
They won't be any cheaper during the Steam Sale. Now I just have to see if Steam will lower Ace Combat to 4.99. It's still 7.49 on amazon.

2 copies of Star Trek?

Jawmuncher

I would play if you'd like.

2 copies of Star Trek?

Yeah I grabbed 2. One for me and One for my dad.
10 dollars total for coop seems like a good deal to me. He's a Star Trek fan and I have been wanting to play it. Doesn't look that bad.

Woah how long will Enslaved be $10 for? I won't be home for another 7 or so hours >_<

Don't know exactly how long but it'll still be available after 7 hours though.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Yeah I grabbed 2. One for me and One for my dad.
10 dollars total for coop seems like a good deal to me. He's a Star Trek fan and I have been wanting to play it. Doesn't look that bad.

Ah, that's pretty cool. The GB quick look made it look a little rough, but nothing a good co-op partner couldn't fix.

American Horror Story ruined the new Star Trek stuff for me, though. Second season spoilers:
The actor who plays Spock has a fairly lengthy, graphic rape scene.
It's hard for me to separate actors from stuff like that when I see them in other roles.

Dr Dogg

That's what happens when you allow the people who post in the Steam forums to read and rate your reviews. Set them to friends only, and forget that such a kind of people exist.

No, I'm not implying they are inferior to us. I'm plainly saying it :p

Funnily same goes for most professional reviews, even more so these days. At least with someone you know, if even only vaguely, you can get an idea if thier opinion aligns with your own.

For example I know you're a fan of classic Duke, Grief hates what Skryim turned into with a passion, Jase only really finishes AC games, morningbus and Borderlands are a bad combination, Copons is really into ETS2, Derrick has "high standards" but thinks all indie games are straight out of the SNES era, Stumps reviews usually tear a game to shreds exposing its flaws that most will overlook ect, ect.

Using just those small bits of information gives you an insight into what others like and hate and how that corresponds with your own tastes. Why better than any distant or detached review.

Sale threads are the only threads I skip entire pages of unread posts to get to the latest to 50 posts.

Only sale thread worth reading is Toma's usual indie and hidden gem related brouhaha. A lot slower moving and with people giving good recommendations instead of asking the same questions ever 10th post.

Jawmuncher

Ah, that's pretty cool. The GB quick look made it look a little rough, but nothing a good co-op partner couldn't fix.

American Horror Story ruined the new Star Trek stuff for me, though. Second season spoilers:
The actor who plays Spock has a fairly lengthy, graphic rape scene.
It's hard for me to separate actors from stuff like that when I see them in other roles.

Yeah the stuff I watched as well seemed to be ok as long as the partner wasn't AI

Yeah I can definitely see how that can be an issue with actors.
Especially as you mentioned if the scene is graphic.

MNC

Black Flag is a prequel so the few links are tenuous.

....It's a prequel? That can't be right. AC3 spoilers
They mention Abstergo Entertainment could 'survive as a company' thanks to a generous donation from Desmond Miles (AKA his body after he died or something, I only read the spoilers of 3 and haven't played it

Xanathus

Black Flag is a prequel so the few links are tenuous.

From what I've seen about it, it majorly spoils stuff that happens outside the Animus in AC3 so if you care about the plot of the games (hahahahahaha) you shouldn't skip 3.

....It's a prequel?
It's *not* a prequel, it takes place after AC3 in the modern era time-line. It just that the Animus person you're playing as is the AC3's Animus person's grandfather.

MNC

From what I've seen about it, it majorly spoils stuff that happens outside the Animus in AC3 so if you care about the plot of the games (hahahahahaha) you shouldn't skip 3.

It's *not* a prequel, it takes place after AC3 in the modern era time-line. It just that the Animus person you're playing as is the AC3's Animus person's grandfather.

You play as the grandfather(grand-grand?) of Connor from AC3.

But the whole modern day thingy noone cares about AC is direct continuation of AC3 (
Desmond died for your sins
)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, thanks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry, I spoke too soon apparently.

Edit: I know the game is set post-AC3, but I didn't think there'd be any key progressions in regard to the overarching plot as you play a researcher for Abstergo the video game dev.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even know what I would buy on the autumn/winter sale. I guess maybe splinter cell blacklist if it's 15 or less. Same with Rome Total War 2.
Star Wars franchise pack at 75% off, and maybe the Splinter Cell (or Tom Clancy) pack too. Dmc for $7.5 would be nice, same with Remember Me. The Carpe Fulgur pack is tempting, and Rocksmith for cheap is a must, now that I have the cable. What else? Hopefully nothing more, I already spent a lot in games this month between bundles, Kid Icarus, Zelda ALBW and The World Ends With You.

Knurek

Oh, BTW, for people without beastly computers, here's my impression of AC4:

My rig is a measly Pentium G2120 with 8GB of RAM and Radeon 6770 (so, basically 5770, pre-GCN architecture), my monitor's native res is 1366x768 if that's important.

With enviromental detail set to low, texture detail set to high, SMAA, reflections set to low, VSYNC enabled, and all the fancy stuff (SSAO, Godrays, etc) disabled... I get almost constant 30 fps throughout the game (introduction and few missions in Havana so far). It dips slightly when it streams new textures from time to time, but is definitely playable and enjoyable. Looks great as well, even with the reduced IQ.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Funnily same goes for most professional reviews, even more so these days. At least with someone you know, if even only vaguely, you can get an idea if thier opinion aligns with your own.

For example I know you're a fan of classic Duke, Grief hates what Skryim turned into with a passion, Jase only really finishes AC games, morningbus and Borderlands are a bad combination, Copons is really into ETS2, Derrick has "high standards" but thinks all indie games are straight out of the SNES era, Stumps reviews usually tear a game to shreds exposing its flaws that most will overlook ect, ect.

Using just those small bits of information gives you an insight into what others like and hate and how that corresponds with your own tastes. Why better than any distant or detached review.
I totally agree. If you know the person's tastes, you can interpretate and understand their opinions better. You can learn from them, even if you disagree.

For example, if you see Derrick praising an indie game you know it must be great. If I complain about a Duke game it probably sucks hard. If Jase praises... Nah, we all know Jase doesn't play any game
that doesn't have Assassin's Creed in its title :p

Bioshock: Infinite* is $7.99 at Gamefly with the code GFDNOV20

*This title is available for purchase in Australia, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand and United States.

Lots of other stuff on sale as well.

Thanks.

$10 brave new world http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-sid-meier's-civilization-v-brave-new-world/5006002
$3.75 bully http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-bully-scholarship-edition/5006359

caught my eye

For example, if you see Derrick praising an indie game you know it must be great. If I complain about a Duke game it probably sucks hard. If Jase praises... Nah, we all know Jase doesn't play any game

I don't think that really works in all cases. If I think somebody has terrible taste in games, them praising one isn't going to make me buy it.

Arthea

I totally agree. If you know the person's tastes, you can interpretate and understand their opinions better. You can learn from them, even if you disagree.

I don't think it's that simple. Even when someone not into indie games likes one, it doesn't mean other person will like the same game. It still come down to tastes.
That's why I think that only reviews worth taking into account are from people that are knowledgeable in genre they are writing about and aren't too emotional. Then it's easier to get impression of game itself, even if person doesn't like or like too much. I've read very little helpful reviews, reviewers tend to write about their impressions not actually a game. I know it's hard to leave yourself out of the picture, but that's what makes a good review, for me that is.

Faabulous

Got these games from the SuperBRJam, if you haven't, do check it out!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dungeonland -- MB-EA39560375C16B44 - Taken by wazoo. 4 entrants total.
The Showdown Effect -- MB-D9FC238B219F5275 - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 1 entrants total.
Magicka -- MB-F2FBE3C4FA9B2B94 - Taken by Mengy. 9 entrants total.

t1385559568z1.png

Arthea

I plan to buy little at this sale (like in every sale :)
Only if deal is very good and it's a game a plan to play in near future.
This sale is more like introduction to winter sale.
Well, we'll see go it'll go, soon enough

i8PnsL6JKDCT8.gif

£5.43 with the coupon. Do I want it? I havent played Civ V in a long time. I haven't even tried it with Gods & Kings expansion...

I would so buy BNW for $5... but then, I won't be playing any other games for a long long time.
I'll wait

Copons

I would so buy BNW for $5... but then, I won't be playing any other games for a long long time.
I'll wait

Yeah they should totally embed Civ5 and ETS2 together, so you can plan your next city construction while driving on a straight road, and wait for opponents' turns when steering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom