• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

denx

how long do community choice go on sale?

Ok, I'll try to clarify any question you may have. Beware long post ahead!

During the Summer, Autumn and Winter sales there are four types of sale:

- Most games on Steam get a base discount that will last for the entirety of the sale. Most games will get base discounts that can go from -10% to -50%. A minority of games will go up to -66% or -75%. If a game has a base discount of -75%, don't expect it to get any cheaper.
- The Daily Deals last for 48 hours, with new sets of dailies every 24 hours. Games that have a base discount will get even cheaper during dailies. For example, a game that has a -50% discount can be further discounted to -75% during the dailies.
- Flash Sales last for 8 hours. A set of games (usually 4) are selected for Flash sales and have their base discounts further discounted, like with the Daily deals. The games on Flash sales change every 8 hours.
- The Community choices last for 8 hours. Poeple are given 3 games to choose from. The winner of the vote gets to be on an 8 hours discount.

Games that are on Dailies, Flash or Community sales won't get any cheaper. Keep in mind though that if you miss a game on sale (for example on a Daily), there is a good chance that the game will appear discounted later on another sale (like a Flash sale).

Ok, I'll try to clarify any question you may have. Beware long post ahead!

During the Summer, Autumn and Winter sales there are four types of sale:

- Most games on Steam get a base discount that will last for the entirety of the sale. Most games will get base discounts that can go from -10% to -50%. A minority of games will go up to -66% or -75%. If a game has a base discount of -75%, don't expect it to get any cheaper.
- The Daily Deals last for 48 hours, with new sets of dailies every 24 hours. Games that have a base discount will get even cheaper during dailies. For example, a game that has a -50% discount can be further discounted to -75% during the dailies.
- Flash Sales last for 8 hours. A set of games (usually 4) are selected for Flash sales and have their base discounts further discounted, like with the Daily deals. The games on Flash sales change every 8 hours.
- The Community choices last for 8 hours. Poeple are given 3 games to choose from. The winner of the vote gets to be on an 8 hours discount.

Games that are on Dailies, Flash or Community sales won't get any cheaper. Keep in mind though that if you miss a game on sale (for example on a Daily), there is a good chance that the game will appear discounted later on another sale (like a Flash sale).

wait_for_the_dailies_stupid.gif.exe

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So is Serious Sam 3 just a poorly optimized piece of shit for everyone or...?

Running this game on 8GB RAM, GTX 4GB 770, and a 2600K among other things

Even on medium settings the game drops below 30FPS at times.

Yeah, the game can really chug with certain effects on the screen.

Clawww

wait_for_the_dailies_stupid.gif.exe

image.php

^accurate depiction of the shape this sale will leave you in

JblotCH.jpg

^that's you if you don't wait for the fuckin dailies

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Really pumped for the autumn sale (tomorrow?)

As always if you guys have any problems with Enhanced Steam during the sale, let me know!

Wok

So...you played MP3 for the cutscenes? You are weird, but then again you're just a cat.

I have completed the game for the cutscenes. Otherwise, I would have just quit because I did not like the gameplay and the game was too bloody for me anyway.

I have completed the game for the cutscenes. Otherwise, I would have just quit because I did not like the gameplay and the game was too bloody for me anyway.
I didn't finish the game, I just couldn't take it anymore when I reached the airport level.

epmode

So is Serious Sam 3 just a poorly optimized piece of shit for everyone or...?

Running this game on 8GB RAM, GTX 4GB 770, and a 2600K among other things

Even on medium settings the game drops below 30FPS at times.

SS3 is optimized pretty well in my experience but it can get really hectic with all of the dust and murder.

Remember, there are a metric ton of graphics options in there. You can reduce a few things for a good framerate without significantly affecting the look of the game. Just try to find a tweak guide for the most effective changes.

makako

Neo Member
I did like the game, so yeah that's a good point.
Welcome! I think this Autumn sale will be light for me too, due to cash constraints. For the most part the sale prices will be the same in the Holiday sale, so if it comes down to it you'd only be waiting for around a month or so.

yeah i had completely forgotten the holiday sales is in a month lol ... Great point. Although i'm thinking about getting a wii (for Game Cube purposes) this christmas

I guess I should buy Divekick now. Do people still play?

You might get a day or two due to the sale. But it has always been dead.

I don't even know what I would buy on the autumn/winter sale. I guess maybe splinter cell blacklist if it's 15 or less. Same with Rome Total War 2.

There have been a huge number of quality indie games released recently. You should be able to pick up a number of top games.

Knurek

14 euro in card money, come at me sale bro.

Not really sure what I'll buy (if anything), I have a lot of games in backlog hell, so unless something is 75% off, I think I can wait.

Gunslinger+Blood Dragon at that discount would be a no-brainer, but I guess we'll see most of the good stuff at 66% off tops.

Jawmuncher

14 euro in card money, come at me sale bro.

Not really sure what I'll buy (if anything), I have a lot of games in backlog hell, so unless something is 75% off, I think I can wait.

Gunslinger+Blood Dragon at that discount would be a no-brainer, but I guess we'll see most of the good stuff at 66% off tops.

Just pretend you don't have a backlog.

Copons

I just realized I won't be here when Sale starts and my smartphone is not really that smart to be able to follow an extra wild Steam thread (or flawlessly using Steam app)
So, for the first time in my GAF account life I'll be the one asking: "So, what did I miss?"
Please be gentle when not answering my question.

Arthea

I'm not ready, I was ready yesterday, not ready today
after I checked my gaming expenses card balance
Why would I do that? /\
before sales no less *heavy sigh*

Oh, and I'm waiting for dailies

Does Flying bundle is known to offer steam keys if games are released on steam. It's a new bundle site isn't it?

Deques

I just realized I won't be here when Sale starts and my smartphone is not really that smart to be able to follow an extra wild Steam thread (or flawlessly using Steam app)
So, for the first time in my GAF account life I'll be the one asking: "So, what did I miss?"

Whatever you miss in the Autumn sale doesn't matter. It will come back in the Winter Sale. But if you miss that sale too, then you missed everything

Milamber

Autumn sale really doesn't matter if you're just gonna backlog those purchases, as a majority of the sales there will follow come winter sale.

EDIT: Well crap, beaten.

Copons

Do you really want to read pages upon pages of people parroting the same questions over and over?

You wouldn't believe how useful the super fast natural scrolling of my MacBook trackpad turns out to be sometimes. :D

Also, I joined this thread just before this Summer Sale, so I it's more of a nostalgic feeling than everything else.
Anyway, I hope I'll be back in time to vote the first poll and join asap any tradingcardmetagaming we'll have this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom