• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's totally what it feels like reading back through that. I had concerns about it going into sharing with him. I was totally cool with him having access to my stuff, but I feared that having access to his would eschew my usual sale cycle behavior. I'll just force myself to go back to using it for the stuff that's been removed from Steam. I'm stubborn enough to do that.

It's just the whole "support the publisher/devs" statement that makes me feel like I'm stealing.

You could always buy it yourself when the price is right to ease your conscience!

I'd like to take this time to send a big "F-YOU" to Chris Roberts for turning my Steam Bucks into Star ...Bucks?

Anyway, it's probably for the better. The only game left for this year that I want is Assassin's Creed IV. Most indie games I already have keys for when they release. Only other thing I would purchase is a DAMN PC VERSION OF MG RISING!

Don't worry, it'll be out soon. ;)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I rather have Zone of Enders 1 and 2 on PC than Metal Gear [insert any number or random English word]. I really just want access to all the art assets and see what can be made by modding in mechs.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Anyone else notice how Fallout 3's timeline/setting are kind of messed up? Like, it's supposed to take place 200 years after the bombs drop. But every major location in the game implies that the war happened 50 years ago or even less, and would put Fallout 3 before Fallout 1. You go to Megaton and an old women tells you her father founded the town out of refugees who couldn't get into your vault, which would make her...Really old. Or maybe a good looking ghoul. Little Lamplight somehow persists as a child only society for two centuries. There's that police station that's been taken over by mutants, with a still standing disaster relief tent center and working computers outside. And there's the communist ghouls who haven't bothered to learn english or change out of their uniforms.

I'm guessing they started out with human/ghoul scenarios since they could model and rig those easily enough, before they realized if they wanted iconic Fallout critters like mutants, deathclaws, and radscorpions, they'd need to put the setting a decent amount of time after the FEV got lose and traveled eastward. But they'd probably already been working under the earlier timeline idea for awhile and had too much content made to cut or modify it.

And the main questline kinda seems shoehorned into most areas, particularly in how the Enclave base is conveniently waaaaay off map.

I'm sure this been discussed in official threads and no mutants allowed and whatnot, but I never went deep into those places at the time.

denx

I bought Euro Truck 2 from the Indie Gala store onMonday.

Too scared of start playing it for fear of my backlog cleaning getting derailed.

Milamber

ETS2 is the only game that I can play, without too much distraction, on catching up with my podcasts and the latest news on BBC news radio.

makako

Neo Member
first of all nice to meet you all... i think this is my first post on this thread... i've been only reading (lurking) a lot and really didn't have much to add... This auntumn sales i'm thinking about getting some games that are on my wish list for quite some time... Especially D&D chronicles of mystara and magical drop V ... I'm not aiming for any big game and i'm kind of short on money so i don't think i'll do any big sales (unless something that i wasn't expecting gets a high 75% discount.)

Anyone else notice how Fallout 3's timeline/setting are kind of messed up? Like, it's supposed to take place 200 years after the bombs drop. But every major location in the game implies that the war happened 50 years ago or even less, and would put Fallout 3 before Fallout 1. You go to Megaton and an old women tells you her father founded the town out of refugees who couldn't get into your vault, which would make her...Really old. Or maybe a good looking ghoul. Little Lamplight somehow persists as a child only society for two centuries. There's that police station that's been taken over by mutants, with a still standing disaster relief tent center and working computers outside. And there's the communist ghouls who haven't bothered to learn english or change out of their uniforms.

I'm guessing they started out with human/ghoul scenarios since they could model and rig those easily enough, before they realized if they wanted iconic Fallout critters like mutants, deathclaws, and radscorpions, they'd need to put the setting a decent amount of time after the FEV got lose and traveled eastward. But they'd probably already been working under the earlier timeline idea for awhile and had too much content made to cut or modify it.

And the main questline kinda seems shoehorned into most areas, particularly in how the Enclave base is conveniently waaaaay off map.

I'm sure this been discussed in official threads and no mutants allowed and whatnot, but I never went deep into those places at the time.

Yeah, you need to make a lot of logical leaps of faith to make Fallout 3's world work.

Put it that way: Would you feel weird if a friend lent you his Xbox360 copy of Devil May Cry and you finished it on your console and then returned it to him? Would you be willing to digitally buy it on the XBox360 store if it went down in price enough?

I did like the game, so yeah that's a good point.

I'm at the stage where DmC, and Stanley Parable are the only games I've really played from his library. I had originally just been delighted to have access to the games removed from Steam that are in his library. I have enough games in my own library to deal with.

first of all nice to meet you all... i think this is my first post on this thread... i've been only reading (lurking) a lot and really didn't have much to add... This auntumn sales i'm thinking about getting some games that are on my wish list for quite some time... Especially D&D chronicles of mystara and magical drop V ... I'm not aiming for any big game and i'm kind of short on money so i don't think i'll do any big sales (unless something that i wasn't expecting gets a high 75% discount.)

Welcome! I think this Autumn sale will be light for me too, due to cash constraints. For the most part the sale prices will be the same in the Holiday sale, so if it comes down to it you'd only be waiting for around a month or so.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So.

Upon finishing DmC through Family Sharing, and with the Autumn sale nearly upon us, I've been thinking. Looking at my wishlist, there's quite a few games that I was planning on picking up in the upcoming sales, that I now have access to through Family Sharing with my best friend (stuff like DmC, Remember Me, Resident Evil: Revelaitons, etc.).

I still totally see myself buying a ton of games in the coming sales, but Family Sharing is this new weird layer that I'm having to grapple with. Example: I've really wanted to play Miasmata, but now I could technically play it at any time right now through sharing. I don't really feel good about it, and it's become something that's been increasingly bothering me, as we get closer to the sales. There's plenty of stuff from the shared library that I see myself still getting, to support developers. Like I played The Stanley Parable through Sharing, because I couldn't afford it at the time, and didn't want it to be spoiled for me by the time I can afford to pick it up. I'll absolutely be buying/gifting that around in the coming sales. Though with games like DmC, which I've completed, paying to transfer "ownership", and a JPEG grid icon over to my header is something I don't know if I'll honestly end up doing.

It's just weird, and now that I've typed it all out I feel like I've done something wrong.

Is this something other Family Sharing folks are concerned/thinking about?

I feel zero shame. It's a wonderful feature. If I like the game I will buy it eventually for a replay.

I have bought plenty of shitty games and been burned many times.

Milamber

Mostly because it'll be locked, while we do arena battles between the regulars and the Steam Thread veterans on the Autumn Sale thread.

Exactly. The sale threads will appear and cherry steam users start posting every other post with "Should I get this?" or "Will it be any cheaper?" or "Who's that hot girl in JaseC's avatar?".

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
If anyone asks if ______ will be cheaper later in the sale, say yes. Even if it's 99% off. Always say yes.

denx

I will miss the nice comfort of this thread for the next couple of days.

The Autumn Sale thread will be insanity.

Wok

The story is basically this, you failed as a bodyguard, then you go kill a lot of bad guys, and bitch along the way.

The frequency of the cutscenes is unbelievable, I've never played a game that does that. Before every mission, you can hear Max bitch about everything, and some random words from his speech appear and flash on the screen(which looked very stupid). Go to a door, a cutscene plays, pretty much every door requires a cutscene to open. Certain places in the levels trigger new cutscenes to progress the story. The game took the control away from you every chance it gets.

For the first few hours it all seemed alright, then your eyeballs would start to sore and you'll want to skip the cutscenes and go directly to the shooting.

I have felt the opposite: for the first few hours, I had been disliking the cutscenes with these random words flashing, and a profusion of screen effects, I mean I wanted to play, not just watch cutscenes over and over; then the cutscenes clicked with me and I have felt the gameplay was boring but I would finish the game to get more of these cutscenes.

can someone explain what are flash sales and community choice
and about how long each goes on sale

I think/hope we get something like the Halloween sale for this one. the big community choice and flash sales work for the longer sales but small ones like Halloween and autumn it could make things to bothersome.

Oh and to answer your question, flash sales are just that a sale for a short amount of time, usually 8 hours during the sale. And community choice is when the community will vote on a game to go on a sale. Those in the past have proven to be "the most popular game", even if the game was on sale previously and another game that hasn't been on sale is up for the vote but isn't as popular.

Sale threads are the only threads I skip entire pages of unread posts to get to the latest to 50 posts.

Wait. Did I miss something?

You missed nothing. I'm just so close to buying AC4 on discount, and my track record is to buy games after the pre-order discount goes up.

I have felt the opposite: for the first few hours, I had been disliking the cutscenes with these random words flashing, and a profusion of screen effects, I mean I wanted to play, not just watch cutscenes over and over; then the cutscenes clicked with me and I have felt the gameplay was boring but I would finish the game to get more of these cutscenes.
So...you played MP3 for the cutscenes? You are weird, but then again you're just a cat.

So is Serious Sam 3 just a poorly optimized piece of shit for everyone or...?

Running this game on 8GB RAM, GTX 4GB 770, and a 2600K among other things

Even on medium settings the game drops below 30FPS at times.

I think/hope we get something like the Halloween sale for this one. the big community choice and flash sales work for the longer sales but small ones like Halloween and autumn it could make things to bothersome.

Oh and to answer your question, flash sales are just that a sale for a short amount of time, usually 8 hours during the sale. And community choice is when the community will vote on a game to go on a sale. Those in the past have proven to be "the most popular game", even if the game was on sale previously and another game that hasn't been on sale is up for the vote but isn't as popular.

how long do community choice go on sale?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Supposedly Valve isn't offering refunds on Ashes Cricket '13. I'd expect this to blow up over the next few days, though.

Before or after Wheelman comes back to Steam ?

sadxbi06.gif

Derrick01

Banned
I don't even know what I would buy on the autumn/winter sale. I guess maybe splinter cell blacklist if it's 15 or less. Same with Rome Total War 2.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm going to try to make it through the sale with just the $14 I've made from selling cards the past couple weeks. I just bought Tearaway and ALBW, so my gaming budget for the month is pretty low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom