• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

I have all three of the batman games, started playing the first and found the huge muscle bound punching dudes really boring. I never had the urge to play again, and still haven't touched the sequels. I guess the only flavor of super hero that I ever really liked was batman beyond. Yeah I'm a super hero hater, I'll admit it. Was hoping the stealth aspect would be enough for me but it just isn't.
I would love a superhero game that isn't just about wearing tights and beating up crooks (or solving puzzles), but also one where you have to balance your alter ego's social life, etc. Like, take Persona 3/4's time management and apply it to Spider-Man: school's out, do you a) study for your midterm tomorrow? or b) websling across the city?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I would love a superhero game that isn't just about wearing tights and beating up crooks (or solving puzzles), but also one where you have to balance your alter ego's social life, etc. Like, take Persona 3/4's time management and apply it to Spider-Man: school's out, do you a) study for your midterm tomorrow? or b) websling across the city?

That requires effort that Activision wont bother to give.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
There is always a chance of it being an amazing game.

1 in 4. Which means 3 more chances of getting Bad Rats than the actual Amazing game.
KuGsj.gif

I would love a superhero game like that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hey now. Serious Sam is not a waste of the source engine!
Amazingly, I credit the source engine as being the only reason it is any better. It's a mutilated Left 4 Dead -- which I'd take any day of the week over Serious Sam.

Sometimes I can't add items to cart in steam client(the button was not responding to me), has anyone experienced that during the sale?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I like that idea. Would be a nice connection to the various Spider-Man stories of Peter Parker not always being there for his friends when he said he would because of being Spider-Man, or his worry about not being there when he is just being Peter.
I would also enjoy something to the affect of Beyond Good and Evil's camera to money play. Not just a mini-game for more experience points, but an actual game mechanic that matters to the story to keep Peter from being homeless or afford all those webs he shoots or Aunt May's health medicine.

I have spent too much time in various "Can Superman ever have a good video game" (the answer is yes) type threads thinking about aspects such as this. One of which is the idea of a Clark Kent, investigator reporter video game where the Superman bits are just there for action missions and it's the detecting that would be the main focus.

Connected from that, The Question (not JLU cartoon mad conspiracies man, but investigator reporter of original comics). Stealth game play to find criminals or corrupt politicians, some fighting to get to an interrogation, etc. Alpha Protocal or Mass Effect style dialogue options would be nice.

In some other thread. Green Arrow, where you act as a business man working on business aspects to improve the city in a Assassin's Creed II sort of way or Dark Cloud or ActRaiser. Then the night time segments, hunt people in a Dishonored style "small sections of open choice"

Zantana, one of the oldest super heroes, imagine if it was like Heavy Rain. Complicated spells and hypnosis and other magic trickery that we might not actually know is real or not in that world, but get a fun story out of it. Do that for both magic entertainment shows or stopping criminals.

Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four. A known male whore constantly going on dates for the attention given to him for it to boost his ego. Has to be a romance sim in that between segments of fighting some alien space bug.

Not all great fun ideas I'll admit, but would be nice to see them actually expand beyond the all too same rough ideas and "beat everything up" super hero based games have always been once technology allowed as such.

Sadly they only time they try is a bad attempts at movie tie-ins like Spider-Man 1-3 movie games where you had the segment of getting Peter to his apartment in time for a date, but was not good game play at all because it was just an excuse to move the story along rather than actually mean anything.

The_Monk

Sometimes I can't add items to cart in steam client(the button was not responding to me), has anyone experienced that during the sale?

Happened once fellow GAFfer but I blamed the rush hour during the sales so after 5 minutes trying I saw that the item was already in the cart. Which I ignored since I had to do it in the website.

EDIT: Thank you very much for Underworld WhiskeyDiver !

Time for more....MORE...
Stuff+Things.+Not+mine+found+it+on+Pintrest.+Don+t_2d1943_4561794.jpg

Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tomb Raider: Underworld -- MB-B0EDEE5E249AEBC8 - Taken by The_Monk
Tomb Raider: Anniversary -- MB-2F9B52AF481AA865 - Taken by Faabulous

Happened once fellow GAFfer but I blamed the rush hour during the sales so after 5 minutes trying I saw that the item was already in the cart. Which I ignored since I had to do it in the website.
Seems like Steam took a heavy beating, which is weird, it's only an autumn sale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In some other thread. Green Arrow, where you act as a business man working on business aspects to improve the city in a Assassin's Creed II sort of way or Dark Cloud or ActRaiser. Then the night time segments, hunt people in a Dishonored style "small sections of open choice"

I would play the shit out of something like this.

The_Monk

Seems like Steam took a heavy beating, which is weird, it's only an autumn sale.

Indeed. That's why I had to have one tab with the sales and the client open at the same time, I know one was going to fail if not both at the same time during peak times. I expect it to be even more harsh in the Winter sale but let's hope for the best.

Indeed. That's why I had to have one tab with the sales and the client open at the same time, I know one was going to fail if not both at the same time during peak times. I expect it to be even more harsh in the Winter sale but let's hope for the best.
Brace yourself, winter is coming.

The_Monk

Brace yourself, winter is coming.

It's the best time to play! It's cold outside, some hot beverage & one good winter-themed-game makes all much more enjoyable.

By the way, I wonder if someone will put a limit on how much they (hope) to spend this Winter Sale. Some people say "I only buy if it's 75% Off" while others go for "I won't spend more than ...€/£/$" Some may go to a limit of games too. I've been avoiding all these latest bundles (last one was the Dirt bundle) simply because "one bundle here and there" and when you know that money might have been for the one discounted game I've been waiting for a long time to get.

Card Boy

Banned
How do you guys chose which game to play? I have 626 Steam games (well, including the odd Uplay and Origin shortcut), and I can't decide what I want to play. For example, part way through AC4, but I've just got Call of Juarez Gunslinger, double dipped on Spelunky, double dipped on Mutant Mudds, and god knows what else.

And that's not counting any PS+ or Xbox One games I have

My rules for backlogs

• Limit yourself to 3 games max at the same time, you will start feeling overwhelmed if you try and tackle too many games.
  • Try and complete short games first if you can
  • Avoid trying to go for achievements unless they are easy
  • If the side missions suck avoid them
  • Avoid hard modes unless you really want the challenge

Finish AC4 first if your part way through.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I don't know why but the Steam client is working like shit tonight. It already crashed three times, without me doing anything to cause it. Could it be because of today's update?

Damn, I don't know why but the Steam client is working like shit tonight. It already crashed three times, without me doing anything to cause it. Could it be because of today's update?
It was like that for me last night, it was super-irritating. It's been better today, but not by much.

It's the best time to play! It's cold outside, some hot beverage & one good winter-themed-game makes all much more enjoyable.

By the way, I wonder if someone will put a limit on how much they (hope) to spend this Winter Sale. Some people say "I only buy if it's 75% Off" while others go for "I won't spend more than ...€/£/$" Some may go to a limit of games too. I've been avoiding all these latest bundles (last one was the Dirt bundle) simply because "one bundle here and there" and when you know that money might have been for the one discounted game I've been waiting for a long time to get.
Request a feature for Enhanced Steam?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It was like that for me last night, it was super-irritating. It's been better today, but not by much.
Just happened again, 5 seconds ago. I'm not a guy with much patience, and this is putting it to a test.

EDIT: 5 crashes in less than half an hour. That's it, I'm going to watch some AVGN in frustration. I'm going to avoid cursing this time, Gabe, but only because you gave us a sale recently.

Caerith

I have spent too much time in various "Can Superman ever have a good video game" (the answer is yes) type threads thinking about aspects such as this. One of which is the idea of a Clark Kent, investigator reporter video game where the Superman bits are just there for action missions and it's the detecting that would be the main focus.
Well, "detective vision" would actually make sense for Superman, but I think the problem with Supes is that he is too overpowered for just about everything except flying through rings. A game about balancing out his Clark Kent persona would be pretty interesting, though.

I would play the shit out of something like this.
Likewise. We'll never get it from an AAA dev, but maybe someone will make a knockoff that doesn't infringe on any registered trademarks.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy, but does anyone know where to begin on modding Fallout: New Vegas? Mostly on how to actually install the things.
The thread linked is a bit outdated, actually. Start off with MMUE (Mission Mojave), which is the single most comprehensive bug-fix/content-restoration mod for New Vegas. Be aware that the "HD textures" mod doesn't just provide high res textures, it completely changes the textures-- if you want to see the game as it was intended, you may wish to skip this one.

Also, link to a wiki on how to stop the game from crashing. (Said link is currently down, but just google for iNumHWThreads.)

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Enclave -- MB-818748F1397EBE74 - Taken by bobnowhere

apologies if it's a duplicate key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom