• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I mean, I'm wondering if someone is strict with themselves and they put their own limits/budgets and so on during these sales.

I got $100 in credit from relatives and friends beginning of November. My aim was to get a very specific set of games during fall and Christmas sales and spend only the $100 credit, nothing more. I have about $39 left and a small number of games to get--Guacamelee, Rayman Legends, State of Decay, and The Swapper. I'll probably end up spending $20-30 in the end but mostly I'm trying to stick to a budget.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For $1? Sure, I can get into Arcane Worlds for that.

Well, "detective vision" would actually make sense for Superman, but I think the problem with Supes is that he is too overpowered for just about everything except flying through rings. A game about balancing out his Clark Kent persona would be pretty interesting, though.

Well I won't bog this thread down with it too much, but there are plenty of ways to get around that sense of "overpowered". So I'll just say read the three most recent threads.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448510
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504055
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550064

maneil99

I got $100 in credit from relatives and friends beginning of November. My aim was to get a very specific set of games during fall and Christmas sales and spend only the $100 credit, nothing more. I have about $39 left and a small number of games to get--Guacamelee, Rayman Legends, State of Decay, and The Swapper. I'll probably end up spending $20-30 in the end but mostly I'm trying to stick to a budget.

use steam traders you will be able to do that easily

Hanzou

Is family sharing still only available if you participate in the beta or can you even still exist invited into it? . Want to share accounts with my brother in law and I am pretty sure he is not in the beta nor invited.

The thread linked is a bit outdated, actually. Start off with MMUE (Mission Mojave), which is the single most comprehensive bug-fix/content-restoration mod for New Vegas. Be aware that the "HD textures" mod doesn't just provide high res textures, it completely changes the textures-- if you want to see the game as it was intended, you may wish to skip this one.

Also, link to a wiki on how to stop the game from crashing. (Said link is currently down, but just google for iNumHWThreads.)
Thanks for the links. I'm more interested in the bugfixes and mechanical changes, things like that. While I don't doubt that I could use some of the HD textures floating around, I'm on a laptop, so anything past a GB of 'VRAM' usage starts eating into more of my main RAM, which I'd rather avoid in a game like this.

denx

I'm doing a hard drive defrag in my laptop, so for the next 3 hours I won't be able to play games. Fun times. :/

How do you guys chose which game to play? I have 626 Steam games (well, including the odd Uplay and Origin shortcut), and I can't decide what I want to play. For example, part way through AC4, but I've just got Call of Juarez Gunslinger, double dipped on Spelunky, double dipped on Mutant Mudds, and god knows what else.

And that's not counting any PS+ or Xbox One games I have

I don't have much of a method to choose games to play really. I usually try to do mental lists of games I want to play, however I constantly get sidetracked by other games I feel like playing. For example, I was planning on playing Arkham City after I finished Arkham Asylum. After I finished AA though I ended up playing War for Cybertron, Primordia (which I still need to finish), F.E.A.R + expansions, and Rayman Origins. Now I want to start AC after I finish the FEAR expansions and Rayman, but that may very well change.

So yeah, I just play whatever I feel like playing at any given moment. I try to limit myself in the amount of games I play at the same time though. I usually only play 1 or 2 single-player games at the same time + a multiplayer game (ME3 multiplayer, TF2 and CSGO have been my MP fixtures this year).

It's the best time to play! It's cold outside, some hot beverage & one good winter-themed-game makes all much more enjoyable.

By the way, I wonder if someone will put a limit on how much they (hope) to spend this Winter Sale. Some people say "I only buy if it's 75% Off" while others go for "I won't spend more than ...€/£/$" Some may go to a limit of games too. I've been avoiding all these latest bundles (last one was the Dirt bundle) simply because "one bundle here and there" and when you know that money might have been for the one discounted game I've been waiting for a long time to get.

I try to limit my purchases by keeping myself on a budget and/or concentrating on a couple of games that I really want to get. This Autumn sale I got Civ 5 Brave New World, Far Cry 3 and Dishonored, all of which were high on my wishlist. That just leaves Fall of Cybertron as the big AAA game I want to buy in the Winter sale.

Megasoum

Banned
Why is Google celebrating GabeN today?

gabegoogle4ldp3.png

Aitor

have fun

ModBot said:
Instructions for Aitor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Serious Sam 3 -- MB-D10ED621ED22BB86 - Taken by Barzul
Garrys Mod -- MB-BDDEC154A1CDCEF9 - Taken by gwynplaine

The_Monk

I try to check the games I really want more than setting a monetary budget. The reason is, if I'm near the end of the sale and I'm still on the budget I think "Oh it's okay, I still can go further since I've not reached my budget" and with that get a game I'm really not that into/spend unnecessary money. I try to pick a Top 5 every now and then and stick with it but I always, always, always find at least one game that fits "Oooh this is nice, I would never have remembered it but it's on sale!" By the way Guacamelee is really nice, I've been playing a bit of it but not on Steam.

Just beat The walking dead Season 1. Can't bring myself to play 400 days after that ending.
Clem shot Lee :(

:( It's for the best. I think.

I try to limit my purchases by keeping myself on a budget and/or concentrating on a couple of games that I really want to get. This Autumn sale I got Civ 5 Brave New World, Far Cry 3 and Dishonored, all of which were high on my wishlist. That just leaves Fall of Cybertron as the big AAA game I want to buy in the Winter sale.

Yes, focusing on the Most Wanted titles is also a nice strategy fellow GAFfer.

Freezard

Have fun!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Freezard:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Serious Sam 3 -- MB-8D6189796F10CC77 - Taken by KenOD. 5 entrants total.
Natural Selection 2 -- MB-9121CFE0BB44D774 - Taken by MulderWasTaken. 7 entrants total.

t1386125428z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Quick GAF vote:

This (current):
2Zwtxgw.png

or this (proposed):
OmSEfb7.png

Which is better?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hola, Game recommendation that currently is on greenlight and super cheap to get:
One Way Heroics
ibuVfeoDn3QlSD.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727834

Short description:
The game is basically a turn based roguelike sidescrolling dunge... er... overworld crawler. Darkness approaches from the left and you are escaping from it, exploring the world, beating demons, bartering with merchants, upgrading your equipment, levelling up and generally kicking ass until you are strong enough to finish off the demon lord and saving the world.

But that is only the beginning.

As you play the game, you will earn points based on your performance to unlock more classes, new skills, and new ways to conquer the ever-looming Darkness, like a possibility to transfer your most valuable items to your next run. You will even earn points if you die. Defeat is not the end. Instead you always get a sense of improvement by unlocking more customization options, which makes each run rewarding in itself. The game does a very good job at engaging the player by allowing an easy entry into the game, but still offering plenty of challenge and tactics if you feel like you are up for it, especially by gradually unlocking more options instead of overwhelming the player right out of the gate. Even considering the surprising amount of depth and challenge it can offer, the game is by no means one of the hardest/deepest games in the genre, but I believe it comes together splendidly and feels original enough to deserve a shoutout in the form of this thread.

Made the thread for it just now, its ridiculously cheap at $1,99 and also needs some greenlight support:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198746495

Hop over if you have some questions and/or impressions as I wont be monitoring the Steam thread :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Quick GAF vote:

This (current):
2Zwtxgw.png

or this (proposed):
OmSEfb7.png

Which is better?

I like the first one better, it's easier to find each link by color coding it. I just wish the images weren't misaligned with the text.

But everybody is going to prefer the muted colors one.

jshackles

I like the first one better, it's easier to find each link by color coding it. I just wish the images weren't misaligned with the text.

But everybody is going to prefer the muted colors one.

There is a proposed change in the options to remove the icons completely as well. I'm half-tempted to keep the old colored icons and give the user a choice of standard | grey | none

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hola, Game recommendation that currently is on greenlight and super cheap to get:

Hop over if you have some questions and/or impressions as I wont be monitoring the Steam thread :)

It's 1.99, but can I pay 1 dollar for it? Will I get a key? I'm too lazy to do proper research. :D

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's 1.99, but can I pay 1 dollar for it? Will I get a key? I'm too lazy to do proper research. :D

Nope, 1,99 is the official price, but you will get a key if they manage to get greenlit (as I wrote in the first few lines of the thread you lazy bastard :p)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nope, 1,99 is the official price, but you will get a key if they manage to get greenlit (as I wrote in the first few lines of the thread you lazy bastard :p)

I know, but I can put whatever price I want on the price box. That's why I'm wondering. I already bought it, so don't freak out.. :D

Toma

I know, but I can put whatever price I want on the price box. That's why I'm wondering.

Thats only so you can pay "$1,99 or more" ;) Just 1 wont get you far.

Caerith

There is a proposed change in the options to remove the icons completely as well. I'm half-tempted to keep the old colored icons and give the user a choice of standard | grey | none
Options are better than no options. (I prefer the grey.)

One Way Heroics
Is it stuck in 4:3? Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite games are 4:3 (namely The Witch's House) but couldn't you use your indie powers to get these devs an engine that supports proper aspect ratios?

Toma

Options are better than no options. (I prefer the grey.)

Is it stuck in 4:3? Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite games are 4:3 (namely The Witch's House) but couldn't you use your indie powers to get these devs an engine that supports proper aspect ratios?

Its a japanese indie game, the 4:3 ratio is pretty common for some of these. Its stuck with 4:3, yep.

But I feel with you, I'd love more wide screen options. Thankfully, it didnt annoy me for too long.

RedSwirl

The latest Steam client update seems to make some fairly big additions people:

General

Add ability to limit what time of day Steam is allowed to automatically update apps
Add option to let other games download while a game is running (this is a per-game setting) (Didn't know Steam didn't already do this)
Add download regions for Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa in Canada
Add 'Copy all text to clipboard' context menu option in the System Information dialog.
Update group announcement notifications to link directly to the announcement instead of the group overview page
Delay the download of Steam client updates until there are no games running
On game launch, if there is an update available but we haven't started downloading it yet, ask the user if they want to launch the existing bits or wait for the update.
Improved download rates for users with high throughput but high latency connections
Improved retry behavior when connecting to Steam servers
Improved download rates for internal app meta data
Improved in-game overlay compatibility for some DX10/11 games on Windows 8.1
Fixed the "Allow Steam Community in-game" checkbox getting incorrectly cleared
Fixed the "unread chat messages" action in the inbox opening chat windows with duplicate messages
Fixed hang on start-up if you had a problem connecting to the update server
Fixed cloud sync error when re-launching game right after game exited
Fixed base game being uninstalled in some cases if user hits 'Cancel' while installing additional DLC
Fixed Auto-Cloud for files larger than 100MB
Changed overlay xinput filtering to continue to filter for briefly on close so a button press that closes the overlay is not also seen by games

Big Picture
Added ability to opt into game betas and edit launch options
Added Inbox item under Linux if your machine requires a reboot due to OS level updates
Allow use of the up and down arrows on the Store description dialog
Fixed infinite loop of Cloud sync error dialogs on game launch
Fixed mouse cursor being visible during startup animation even if it hadn't moved
Fixed some rare cases where a panel would draw stale content after a styles transition completed
Fixed loop in the UI if you navigated from an IM to the web, hit the Steam button to go back and then hit Done in the footer
Fixed password cap locks label not hiding when there was input in the password box
Fixed check for updates button not hiding in the case you had an update ready to restart into
Enabled key repeat on game controller controller buttons
Fixed the "open link in new tab" menu popping into the web browser context menu
Have the web browser select all text when editing the url entry and place the caret at the end of the selection
Don't allow text selection on labels created by the dropdown control
Fixed All Games dropdown not showing custom categories correctly when selected
Fixed being able to restart Steam for an update before login

Linux
Fix paste pasting stale text.
Fix Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V in client-hosted web page text controls.
Fix incorrect foregrounding of a blank window in some -silent startup cases.
Fixed corrupt check box and radio button images on web pages
Fixed game controller hot-plugging not working
Fix runtime bootstrap rewriting so that if this process interrupted, steam is not left in an inconsistent non-startable state.
Fixed crash on linux if /proc/net/route isn't available
Fixed missing cursor in Akaneiro when using the overlay
Fixed Steam failing to re-launch on shutdown if some open sockets took too long to close
The overlay now saves and restores the games gamma settings when invoked
Fixed overlay not displaying in some runtime configurations

Mac OS X
Show the correct error if we're out of disk space during an update

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It moves your Steam games to another HDD or SSD with just a click. The games work flawlessly and I don't have to change a bunch of settings and crap. It is great when you are running out of space on one of your discs.

Oh all my games are installed on the hard drive and still have about 300-400gb left.

Have you tried the second style of icons, but having the icons on the left of the links? Having all the icons in a clean column might help the presentation.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ok, I have 14 extra Enclave keys that are probably duped - They're from the accounts that I didn't receive a key immediately when registering. They showed up a day later, in German and the subject key was different from the key on the body of the message. I wont even bother to make a modbot giveaway for them. Can I just paste them here or there's a different giveaway thread that I should make people feel hope and ultimately have their dreams crushed?

Edit: Oh well fuck it, here they are. I'm not responsible for these and they're probably already all redeemed

Edit2: I forgot about the email hiding trick, so I did that. The thread is less ugly with it this way. Also, I made it this way because you can then try other keys if the one you picked is used. I removed Nabs and -Deimos keys so you won't get annoying messages. Consider yourselves lucky if the key worked.

jshackles

Have you tried the second style of icons, but having the icons on the left of the links? Having all the icons in a clean column might help the presentation.

I tried that before just to see how it would look. And it looks pretty terrible honestly. It wouldn't be so bad if I created an icon for all of the other links there but having

text
text
[icon] text
[icon] text

looks really strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom