• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SH ports are all fairly barebones, half-assed port jobs, but they do work and shouldn't be too hard to get running on modern systems. I played through 2, 3 and 4 on my PC last year. 2 is the most crash-prone and buggy (have to disable multi-cores, sound glitches), but the others ran without much issue.

Whether Konami could ever be assed to re-release them, who knows.

No more re-releases. NeoGAF has already been through that trauma.

Grief.exe

Ahhh man. Silent Hill along with Resident Evil on steam would be easy money for Capcom and Konami. They already have PC ports.

With that said I wonder if Square Enix has plans for FF9 on PC.
It has no PC port true but 7 did well and i'm sure 8 will do just as well.
Guess it'll come down to if they want to do a bit of extra work.

These titles missing from Steam are just a complete travesty, especially a new version of RE4.

Grief.exe

As much as I would personally like to see these old releases on Steam, I feel like getting the new releases from Square and Konami would be better for the overall health of the platform.

MGSV and FFXV day one would drive more users to the platform than old ports being rereleased.

FOX_

Neo Member
MGSV and FFXV day one would drive more users to the platform than old ports being rereleased.

Phantom Pain on Steam from the start would be amazing. Though it'll probably be delayed by several months, according to what Kojima's been saying. I'm hoping that the Steam release will combine Ground Zeroes and PP into one package, as opposed to splitting them as is the case with the consoles.

As much as I would personally like to see these old releases on Steam, I feel like getting the new releases from Square and Konami would be better for the overall health of the platform.

Releasing Metal Gear Revengeance (Rising?) on Steam would be a nice start.

Sooo bought the Humble Bundle even if only for OMD2 - I have all the other games except that and Serious Sam 3 and after reading this thread I'm not sure I want to link it on my account - yet.

On the other hand, two days ago I was sure I was going slow down buying games. Now... I'm at the brink of going full JaseC. Lord Gaben help me. I need to figure this out and then go out with my strategy. Won't buy same games with different region-specific apps. Surely I won't go that road...please..

Grief.exe

Releasing Metal Gear Revengeance (Rising?) on Steam would be a nice start.

That's coming, Konami setup an in-house PC team specifically to port the game and that took some time.

This is actually why I can almost guarantee MGSV is coming to the platform eventually. No way they would spend the resources setting up the team just for one game.

LoS1 was outsourced and LoS2 is being done by Mercury Steam.

Sooo bought the Humble Bundle even if only for OMD2 - I have all the other games except that and Serious Sam 3 and after reading this thread I'm not sure I want to link it on my account - yet.

On the other hand, two days ago I was sure I was going slow down buying games. Now... I'm at the brink of going full JaseC. Lord Gaben help me. I need to figure this out and then go out with my strategy. Won't buy same games with different region-specific apps. Surely I won't go that road...please..

Serious Sam 3 is a good old style shooter, it's a fun game, don't believe all the hate.

C4rter

Registered for Steam Key at DHL.net and Steam told me later that I already have the Game :-D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Enclave -- MB-22130C809A2B5FD7 - Taken by Knurek

Kuroyume

Banned
When are the sales starting

ix1OUzoOjW2QJ.gif

Knurek

Any game not on Steam is a complete travesty. :p

Yeah, both Sony and Ninty should do what Sega did and put an official emulator for their older consoles on Steam with games as separate DLC.

It makes no sense to not do so considering the ease of acquiring ROMs for them, for which the companies don't get to see a penny.

Oh well, seems the phrase 'Sega does what Nintendon't' holds true even now. :\

wazoo

Never tried the workshop, it is one the most insane feature of Steam (trying with skyrim). It is PC gaming mods with console like interface.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Yeah, both Sony and Ninty should do what Sega did and put an official emulator for their older consoles on Steam with games as separate DLC.

It makes no sense to not do so considering the ease of acquiring ROMs for them, for which the companies don't get to see a penny.

I understand and accept why many games already being sold on home consoles aren't on Steam by the two. What I don't get is why Sony won't let us have a PC game like Lemmings.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Never go full JaseC.

But it's lovely on this side of the fence. ;)

I'd be very surprised if a Sony or Nintendo game comes to the PC in an official manner -- Sega doesn't have a dog in the console fight and the former two would rather use their respective back catalogues to strengthen the value proposition of their respective systems.

hum, JaseC is asking if we can have a button "buy everything from the store" ?

Haha, the "hide owned games" and endless scrolling features do just fine.

Knurek

I understand and accept why many games already being sold on home consoles aren't on Steam by the two. What I don't get is why Sony won't let us have a PC game like Lemmings.

Fuck yeah, give me that last game Tim Follin composed music for, please.
Also, give me just about every other game. Seriously, just work out a deal with any of the emulator authors, XOR the roms or whatever, put them up on Steam and see all your money problems disappear.

I'd be very surprised if a Sony or Nintendo game comes to the PC in an official manner -- Sega doesn't have a dog in the console fight and the former two would rather use their respective back catalogues to strengthen the value proposition of their respective systems.

Thing is, Sony's back catalogue isn't available (yet?) for PS4.
And I do think PC isn't a competition to the consoles in any way, in the same way USA isn't a competition to San Marino, Lichtenstein or Monaco.

wazoo

Nintendo is opposed to the simple idea of sales and IP depreciation (in a real strict way, not like EA being envious of steam).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thing is, Sony's back catalogue isn't available (yet?) for PS4.
And I do think PC isn't a competition to the consoles in any way, in the same way USA isn't a competition to San Marino, Lichtenstein or Monaco.

Sony intends to offer "backwards compatibility" by way of streaming. It's possible that the service will be expanded to non-PlayStation devices, though.

"hide owned games" will make your store like a ghost town on your screen :(

About a month ago I went through Steam's catalogue and made note of all the licensed stuff I didn't yet have; I'd say there were at least 300 or so games all up that I'd yet to buy, though that number would be a fair bit less now as I bought around 90 games during the Autumn Sale.

cicero

Looks like that earlier 75% off $1.80ish price on GamersGate for Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Deluxe Edition was an error after all, they had the list price off by like 2/3. I should have picked that one up. They can be so delightfully inept over there.

header_292x136.jpg

Currently $5.99 from Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/253350/ (3 Steam cards)

I've seen a few people asking about this game in the thread (including myself!) So I took one for the team, bought the game and played through it. I thought the impressions would be useful for some (Like NBA2k14 file this under "things I wish I had known before purchase):

Short and Snappy Version: Probably not worth buying at this stage.

I'm a huge fan of Volgarr the Viking, one of the best releases of the year. While it isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea, it proves to me that if you set out to use some ancient ideas and mechanics in a quality modern game, it can still come together to make an outstanding experience.

Tiny Barbarian DX does not quite manage the same impressive feat.

6l6c8k.png

While it is similar in many ways to Volgarr, the approach is slightly different. While Volgarr attempts to make an excellent example of an ancient genre, Tiny Barbarian seems content to just emulate those long lost games. The influences are immediately obvious as you begin the short adventure. You will hear some quite excellent music, NES style graphics and user interface and an attack animation ripped straight out of Battletoads or Prince of Persia (It still bugs me that I can't remember exactly where it iss from!). None of that is a particular problem, but when the game doesn't go anywhere beyond that it starts to get disappointing.

15lfdx.png

By and large the game keeps things simple with only a jump and an attack and your usual platforming mechanics. The controls are tight enough, with only the fiddly climbing mechanic letting things down. The choice made here to hang onto a chain or vine is that you need to press up on the dpad. This is intuitive enough, but in practice it often fails leaving you to fall down into spikes or having to retry lengthy sections. This is especially apparent when using it as a boost to get on top of ledges which leads to needless frustration. It is something you will get used to as you take extra care of your inputs but it is a niggle that the game could have done without given its simplicity.

214d66.png

Combat is straightforward with your enemies needing several hits to dispatch. Unfortunately it is also unsatisfying given there is little strategy involved in most encounters. Quite quickly I found myself jumping over enemies instead of taking them on. This was not out of fear of losing health, but simply to save myself the hassle of mashing attack two or three times. In harder games this is a valid tactic, if not a risky one. In Tiny Barbarian it just gets you through the level quicker.

Continuing the theme of negative thoughts, the levels themselves are a let down. While the pixel-art environments initially shine, elements are frequently repeated and the overly long and linear levels fail to reach any great heights (even the ones where you climb up). Even though the levels seem long, checkpoint levels are still frequent, so you will always be making progress. This can help some gamers, but on the other hand this leads to reckless play as you can blow past obstacles with little concern for failure. There are eventually some tricky sections to navigate (especially right near the end), but there is nothing that will hold you up for too long. Similarly the bosses fall very much into the "fail once, oh now I understand, this is easy" category with only the final one putting up any real fight (due mainly to the poor climbing mechanics!).

54gcyc.png

Of special mention are the frequent flying enemies the game throws at you such as eagles or bats. The concept is familiar enough, a constant steam of flying enemies will come in from the side of the screen and "swoop" at you, causing all sorts of annoyances. In particular there is a difficult section in the second area (you will know it when you get there) which might have you ripping your hair out... or un-installing the game. Like most of the things in the game, it is a nice nod to earlier gaming conventions, but it is also an example of choosing to focus on something that everybody hated at the time. Nostalgia is great if used right, but bad ideas will always be bad ideas and you'll quickly remember why people stopped putting those enemies in.

The game further mixes things up by providing elements like golden axe style mounts, but here too the implementation falls flat and it is under utilised. You can jump on the back of these beasts to lend you a hand, but it is generally more trouble than it is worth. You will often get knocked off due to bigger hit boxes and you can generally get by quicker without them. The game even throws in odd sections where a mount is given only to stop you seconds later forcing you to dismount. It is almost as if the game was pretending it wasn't broken up into zones so that you could think you rode your mount through one big level. It is an odd design choice the really stood out as you try to make sense of the overall design.

3xwcjv.png

As a package, the game doesn't delivery a lot of content. The main menu promises several episodes "coming soon", which may be worth waiting for as you will get through the single hour or so on offer quickly. How much more of it you'll want to get through is quite debatable, but there is at least a base to be improved on if the final moments are an indication of what is to come. Rounding out the game is a rather simple "horde mode" which has you facing an endless stream of enemies. Given the combat is such a weak part of the game, it isn't something you will spend much time on.

Presentation wise, the graphics are what they are and don't really deliver anything you haven't seen before. On a positive note, the music is frequently excellent, even if it does get a bit repetitive on longer levels. If you are into your game soundtracks, you might just find some gems here.

41hejg.png

Given my expectations I was disappointed with Tiny Barbarian. It isn't completely fair to compare so harshly with better examples of the style. But if you are going to attempt a retro aesthetic in this day and age you need to be bringing something new to the table. It isn't just enough to be "like a NES" game as we have plenty of those games to choose from and more on the way (including the original NES games!). Tiny Barbarian is still a decent experience, but the lack of ambition and attention to detail means it never rises to any great heights.

For now, one to watch as more episodes are delivered, but not one to purchase. Tiny Barbarian needs to deliver on both quantity and quality of content before it is a must buy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Looks like that earlier 75% off $1.80ish price on GamersGate for Knights of Pen & Paper +1 Deluxe Edition was an error after all, they had the list price off by like 2/3. I should have picked that one up. They can be so delightfully inept over there.

From what I heard here the game is crap though.

Copons

Quick GAF vote:

This (current):
2Zwtxgw.png

or this (proposed):
OmSEfb7.png

Which is better?

Ultra late answer (and maybe someone already said it) but isn't it better to put icons before the texts, to improve readability and avoid the "staircase" effect?

EDIT: yup, of course someone already said it. :)

mannerbot

For now, one to watch as more episodes are delivered, but not one to purchase. Tiny Barbarian needs to deliver on both quantity and quality of content before it is a must buy.

Thanks for the impressions. It's funny, I thought of Volgarr as a Tiny Barbarian clone when it was first announced, but look at how the tables have turned. Where Volgarr is a shining example of mastery in 16-bit era game design, Tiny Barbarian is just an imitator.

Ultra late answer (and maybe someone already said it) but isn't it better to put icons before the texts, to improve readability and avoid the "staircase" effect?
I believe he said earlier that he didn't like how it looked that way because not all the items in the list have icons, so it "staircase"s on the other side instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom