• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Tomb Raider 2013 is pretty damn bad. If you are getting the bundle (which is ridiculous bang for buck), you're much better off playing the previous iterations which are actual Tomb Raider games rather than some uninspired attempt to appeal to the third-person shooter crowd.

Also, Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light is a really good spin-off even if you don't play it (as intended) in co-op, which includes revised puzzles. Shame the good-for-nothing reboot shelved all plans for its sequel, so sweep it up for 2 bucks while the discount still lasts.
On the other hand, I thought TR2K13 was pretty awesome, and enjoyed the set pieces and scripted scenes. It was also fun to get all collectibles, except for 2 of them that were hidden in ridiculous places and I had to find with a guide.

I'm not a fan of the franchise (hell, of the few I've tried Angel of Darkness is my favorite one, which is often considered the world's worst STD), but I loved this game.

cicero

Random question...

What do you guys use as a subject heading/PM title when PMing modbot

EDIT: I mean when PMing to join a raffle or obtain the game
uh-oh...

"please to let suckle on generous metal teet"
"am i too late"
"this new drawing is mine"
"greco-robot wrestling for games"
"I shalt become your werewolf private dancer" (I think this one was from a The Wolf Among Us giveaway)
"bot luvin"
"please take your robotic hand off of my thigh"
"do not reject me"
"cover my prone nude body with robotic roses"
"no i will not take my hand off of your robotic thigh"
"i love giveaways"

I think I should take it as a hint that I have won so few giveaways. I think modbot has become sentient and disapproves. :(

Knurek

uh-oh...

"I shalt become your werewolf private dancer" (I think this one was from a The Wolf Among Us giveaway)
"do not reject me"

I think I should take it as a hint that I have won so few giveaways. I think modbot has become sentient and disapproves. :(

Yea, Stump should totally release an all-time favourite compilation of Modbot PM titles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd say that it's about time for an intervention, but given I'm nearing 700 myself... that would be a small pot calling a awesome, Australian kettle black.

Haha, you're too kind. :p

Fun to have in my library? I am totally sold. Just bought with free coins ^^

Coins earned as rewards expire, anyway. They're supposed to last a year, but judging from my history page it's more around 14 months.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I typically just refer to the nature of the keys, for example "Register Humble Blah Bundle spares" or whatever, though occasionally I'll just use "Register stuff" and when I gave out 235 keys a couple of weeks ago I opted for "Register Saoirsemas".

Edit: Oh, missed your edit. I haven't claimed or entered anything yet, so I don't have an answer, haha.

Looks semi-interesting, but I didn't bother to play it on Desura so I can't see myself doing so now.

Keep an eye out for steam keys to come through if you purchased the Groupees Greenlight 2 bundle.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
uh-oh...

"am i too late"
"this new drawing is mine"
"greco-robot wrestling for games"
"bot luvin"
"do not reject me"
"i love giveaways"

Modbot has robotic thighs? Interesting.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Random question...

I used "giveaway" as the title of my first ModBot PM, then I'd select it with autofill the following times. Now it's just:

ibeDlkH90nqzRp.png

Random question...

I always offer food:

"Millionaires' Shortbread"
"Cream cheese and bagels"
"Beanz on toast"
"Rhubarb and Custard"
"Bangers and Mash"
"Strawberries and Cream"
"Cucumber Sandwiches"
"Prune Juice"

etc., etc.

I think ModBot appreciates it, and it is better than a constant diet of poutine
which always makes my mouth water...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just type up things like, "Ooo-la-la", "Dinosaur Jokers", "HMMNNNN", "Slicked-Back Salad", and the like. I like to keep Modbot guessing.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
When I'm entering giveaways I'll copy and paste the full line into the text box and then use the name of the game as the title, means I can keep track of what I've entered if there's a big raffle on or something.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FUEL/fuel?sdfsdf
cheap FUEL for Steam, which itself is not sold on Steam anymore.

It kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth that all these companies are busy still selling GFWL games with no real evidence that they will function at all or even partly come July next year. Dirt 2 in a recent bundle, Red Faction Guerrilla in another, the GFWL F1 games still available on steam etc... I hope I'm not being too cynical and they aren't just trying to make as much money as possible and then completely forget about them.

Jørdan

MødBøt said:
I am giving away a Steam gift. To enter this giveaway, be the first to quote this post with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Don't be a dick
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Wx8JXn4.jpg

Garry's Mød -- MB-A48T915860F6Ø927 - Taken by sibarraz

Will PM the Steam Gift link.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
With TF2 movie maker I kinda miss garry's mod videos.

...then again unless you can port models from other games like L4D assets I doubt gm will fade into obscurity.

Jørdan;92354908 said:
Hehe, thanks for the help however I'm not allowed to make giveaways so I created my own.

Pretty clever. I bet most people skimmed over it, thinking it was just a normal ModBot giveaway. But I have to ask: why are you not allowed to create normal giveaways?

Nabs

header_292x136.jpg

Currently $5.99 from Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/253350/ (3 Steam cards)

I've seen a few people asking about this game in the thread (including myself!) So I took one for the team, bought the game and played through it. I thought the impressions would be useful for some (Like NBA2k14 file this under "things I wish I had known before purchase):

Short and Snappy Version: Probably not worth buying at this stage.

I'm a huge fan of Volgarr the Viking, one of the best releases of the year. While it isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea, it proves to me that if you set out to use some ancient ideas and mechanics in a quality modern game, it can still come together to make an outstanding experience.

Tiny Barbarian DX does not quite manage the same impressive feat.

6l6c8k.png

While it is similar in many ways to Volgarr, the approach is slightly different. While Volgarr attempts to make an excellent example of an ancient genre, Tiny Barbarian seems content to just emulate those long lost games. The influences are immediately obvious as you begin the short adventure. You will hear some quite excellent music, NES style graphics and user interface and an attack animation ripped straight out of Battletoads or Prince of Persia (It still bugs me that I can't remember exactly where it iss from!). None of that is a particular problem, but when the game doesn't go anywhere beyond that it starts to get disappointing.

15lfdx.png

By and large the game keeps things simple with only a jump and an attack and your usual platforming mechanics. The controls are tight enough, with only the fiddly climbing mechanic letting things down. The choice made here to hang onto a chain or vine is that you need to press up on the dpad. This is intuitive enough, but in practice it often fails leaving you to fall down into spikes or having to retry lengthy sections. This is especially apparent when using it as a boost to get on top of ledges which leads to needless frustration. It is something you will get used to as you take extra care of your inputs but it is a niggle that the game could have done without given its simplicity.

214d66.png

Combat is straightforward with your enemies needing several hits to dispatch. Unfortunately it is also unsatisfying given there is little strategy involved in most encounters. Quite quickly I found myself jumping over enemies instead of taking them on. This was not out of fear of losing health, but simply to save myself the hassle of mashing attack two or three times. In harder games this is a valid tactic, if not a risky one. In Tiny Barbarian it just gets you through the level quicker.

Continuing the theme of negative thoughts, the levels themselves are a let down. While the pixel-art environments initially shine, elements are frequently repeated and the overly long and linear levels fail to reach any great heights (even the ones where you climb up). Even though the levels seem long, checkpoint levels are still frequent, so you will always be making progress. This can help some gamers, but on the other hand this leads to reckless play as you can blow past obstacles with little concern for failure. There are eventually some tricky sections to navigate (especially right near the end), but there is nothing that will hold you up for too long. Similarly the bosses fall very much into the "fail once, oh now I understand, this is easy" category with only the final one putting up any real fight (due mainly to the poor climbing mechanics!).

54gcyc.png

Of special mention are the frequent flying enemies the game throws at you such as eagles or bats. The concept is familiar enough, a constant steam of flying enemies will come in from the side of the screen and "swoop" at you, causing all sorts of annoyances. In particular there is a difficult section in the second area (you will know it when you get there) which might have you ripping your hair out... or un-installing the game. Like most of the things in the game, it is a nice nod to earlier gaming conventions, but it is also an example of choosing to focus on something that everybody hated at the time. Nostalgia is great if used right, but bad ideas will always be bad ideas and you'll quickly remember why people stopped putting those enemies in.

The game further mixes things up by providing elements like golden axe style mounts, but here too the implementation falls flat and it is under utilised. You can jump on the back of these beasts to lend you a hand, but it is generally more trouble than it is worth. You will often get knocked off due to bigger hit boxes and you can generally get by quicker without them. The game even throws in odd sections where a mount is given only to stop you seconds later forcing you to dismount. It is almost as if the game was pretending it wasn't broken up into zones so that you could think you rode your mount through one big level. It is an odd design choice the really stood out as you try to make sense of the overall design.

3xwcjv.png

As a package, the game doesn't delivery a lot of content. The main menu promises several episodes "coming soon", which may be worth waiting for as you will get through the single hour or so on offer quickly. How much more of it you'll want to get through is quite debatable, but there is at least a base to be improved on if the final moments are an indication of what is to come. Rounding out the game is a rather simple "horde mode" which has you facing an endless stream of enemies. Given the combat is such a weak part of the game, it isn't something you will spend much time on.

Presentation wise, the graphics are what they are and don't really deliver anything you haven't seen before. On a positive note, the music is frequently excellent, even if it does get a bit repetitive on longer levels. If you are into your game soundtracks, you might just find some gems here.

41hejg.png

Given my expectations I was disappointed with Tiny Barbarian. It isn't completely fair to compare so harshly with better examples of the style. But if you are going to attempt a retro aesthetic in this day and age you need to be bringing something new to the table. It isn't just enough to be "like a NES" game as we have plenty of those games to choose from and more on the way (including the original NES games!). Tiny Barbarian is still a decent experience, but the lack of ambition and attention to detail means it never rises to any great heights.

For now, one to watch as more episodes are delivered, but not one to purchase. Tiny Barbarian needs to deliver on both quantity and quality of content before it is a must buy.

Thanks for the review. I'd give it a helpful thumbs up if I could.

Jørdan

Pretty clever. I bet most people skimmed over it, thinking it was just a normal ModBot giveaway. But I have to ask: why are you not allowed to create normal giveaways?

I think due the ø in my name it caused problems and ModBot was unable to process it, breaking it for a time. Afterwards it was set to ignore PMs from anyone with characters in their name it couldn't handle. ModBot still hasn't forgiven me I guess.

Haha, very clever, I didn't even realize it wasn't a ModBot giveaway.

I appreciate your help none the less :)

Edit: The giveaway is real, while many will have it already it's still up for grabs.

Jørdan;92355406 said:
I think due the ø in my name it caused problems and ModBot was unable to process it, breaking it for a time. Afterwards it was set to ignore PMs from anyone with characters in their name it couldn't handle. ModBot still hasn't forgiven me I guess.

ModBot doesn't DO forgiveness. Have you tried PMing Stumpøkapow about it? I'm sure he could sort it out for you.

Regardless, I did like your "Don't be a dick" rule. That should be included in every giveaway, official or not.

Forkball

FFVIII on Steam would be cool, but I really want FFIX. I doubt Square would make a PC version of it though... OR WOULD THEY?

I'm excited to throw all my recently bought games in the trash tomorrow for Starbound.

Jawmuncher

God Damn if there's one thing I love about PC gaming it's backwards compatibility.
Sure it's not always perfect but usually you can manage with some tinkering if need be. better than the consoles where backwards compatibility is all abut shunned nowadays.

Just had to get that out, bring's a smile to my face whenever I can boot up an old game like Red Faction or something even older like phantasmagoria thanks to dosbox.

FFVIII on Steam would be cool, but I really want FFIX. I doubt Square would make a PC version of it though... OR WOULD THEY?

I'm excited to throw all my recently bought games in the trash tomorrow for Starbound.

I think it'll all come down to a number's game for Square. But to me it seems like FF7 did some great business on PC and i'm sure FF8 will continue that success.
At the least Square Enix is at least giving us stuff that had PC ports unlike Konami and Capcom who are sitting on gold mines.

Arthea

At this point you can count SE porting anything to iOS, not PC though. :(

FloatOn

Same here man. I can't believe the day is finally upon us.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Random question...

Mmm... looking at my Sent Items folder, I see this (in chronological order):

• Giveaway
  • Giveaway
  • permablock (bye bye Javadots)
  • I'd like to register some little cool games. You rock ModBot! (another giveaway of mine)
  • Game
  • lala
  • permablock (I feel so dirty!)
  • Hi ModBi ModBi, you're my cute little robot ModBi :)
  • La Li Lu Le Lo
  • I love you ModBot
  • Moddy
  • Hey listen! Hey listen! I want you to register this game! (this one was a giveaway I made)
  • ModBot, will you marry me?
  • Moddy moddy botty
  • Cute lil' ModBot
  • Moddy ModBotty
  • assa
  • ModBotty 1
  • Moddy #2
  • Why do I bother? It's not like I'm gonna win anyway :(
  • Or will I?
  • I feel like such a spammer, sorry Stump :/
  • OK, this is the last one for tonight, I promise
  • You're my favorite robot ever
  • Hug me, ModBotty
  • Moddybotty, wanna be my BFF? You're always so nice to me!
  • One of these days your heart will stop and play its final beat
  • I love you, ModBot!
  • La Sagrada Familia. The war is won, the battle's over.
  • I want to break free
  • I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Hey you, out there in the cold, getting lonely, getting old, can you feel me?
  • I'm hungry
  • I <3 U ModdyBotty
  • Goin' postal!
  • Make me lucky please!
  • I love you ModBot
  • <3 U ModdyBotty
It looks like a lot, but 95% of them are raffles I think, and I've only won 5 or 6 games (including the ones that weren't raffles). He probably doesn't share my taste in music and doesn't love me back :(

I think I'll make a giveaway one of these days, but I'd like to get a couple more keys for it not to be too lame.

Yea, Stump should totally release an all-time favourite compilation of Modbot PM titles.
He can't. He once said he erased old PMs because of the message limit.

Jørdan

ModBot doesn't DO forgiveness. Have you tried PMing Stumpøkapow about it? I'm sure he could sort it out for you.

Regardless, I did like your "Don't be a dick" rule. That should be included in every giveaway, official or not.

When ModBot was set to ignore PMs with characters such as mine I took it as Game Over. I didn't want to be a pain in the ass or cause more problems. Still it would be nice to participate when I have funds for a gift or a wishlist giveaway pop-up.

Lain

Woah.... I just woke up, checked my email, and saw an email that told me I won the GMG 4-Play: 4 Hours survey.

I'm kinda speechless, as well as not being sure how to redeem the codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom