• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
header_292x136.jpg

Short and Snappy Version: Probably not worth buying at this stage.

VxWCujU.jpg

This sub contains every game on Steam, ever?

It contains every game that has had store info, yes. Games that are technically "on Steam" but have never been on available on the store -- such as Dynasty Warriors 7, or the great many review/development/etc. apps used by developers/publishers -- are not included.

Thanks for the impressions. It's funny, I thought of Volgarr as a Tiny Barbarian clone when it was first announced, but look at how the tables have turned. Where Volgarr is a shining example of mastery in 16-bit era game design, Tiny Barbarian is just an imitator.

Pretty much sums it up. It is nice to emulate the games from the 8 or 16 bit era, but you still have to be a good game from that time.

Perfect :)

capturexbsnh.png

Now it is just another brick in the wall...

JaseC

I thought that won't stop you (><)

I'll only buy a game with a <40% discount if it has a particularly low base price ($6.99 or less) or if it's licensed and notably cheaper in Russialand (e.g. Ashes Cricket 2013 and its 30% pre-purchase discount -- $11).

Perfect :)

capturexbsnh.png

Now it is just another brick in the wall...

I love all my bricks equally... well, the AssCreed ones get special attention. ;)

How long will it take for devs/Valve to make a special JaseC/xelios/platinum edition of each sub, adding +1 to the game count while costing 300% more than the base game?

Hopefully not too long. :p

Copons

I believe he said earlier that he didn't like how it looked that way because not all the items in the list have icons, so it "staircase"s on the other side instead.

Yup, I was catching up from last night (Italian timezone #yolo) posts.

I also read jshackles' answer, but I'm actually not really sold on that.

It happened to me lots of time, the big choice to where to align icons/thumbnails, and eventually I decided that I have two favourite choices:

- icon before the label (even if some items don't have icons, making a staircase, but in this case, I believe just the 2-3 top items are without icons, so the weird effect is limited)

- icon aligned to the right, and I mean completely to the right of the column, not just after the text (something like: position: absolute; right: 0px; if you know what I mean).
It's a thing successfully used everywhere, it's clean and readable, and it could be perfect on Steam sidebar, considering the fact that isn't really wide.

Also, I just checked and I noticed that the "icons absolutely positioned on the right" thing is already used in games pages sidebar (ie. community links or game links, "visit the website", "view the manual", etc.).

Arthea

Now I only need to talk Valve into doing special editions available only in region "Jasec".
May be I shouldn't accepted that challenge (><)

BigDug13

So 80% off of Tomb Raider right now.

They have an entire collection of 10 Tomb Raider games including the newest one for $14 TOTAL which is another $10 off from buying them individually at 80% off.

So it's more like 90% off or something.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/26663/

I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since the first one on my PS1. I think for $14, it's time to take the plunge once again...

JaseC

Theoretically, wait for Strategy guides to make a come back and buy every language known.

I was poking through the registry earlier and noticed that a couple of strategy guide subs had been updated. I thought they had returned, but alas. :(

Arthea

They have an entire collection of 10 Tomb Raider games including the newest one for $14 TOTAL which is another $10 off from buying them individually at 80% off.

I haven't played a Tomb Raider game since the first one on my PS1. I think for $14, it's time to take the plunge once again...
I find it strange, that this collection doesn't include Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

BigDug13

I find it strange, that this collection doesn't include Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Don't know anything about that. Like I said, I haven't played any since the first one and have no clue about what the franchise has been up to since, except for that newer one this year that looked kinda cool.

Maybe they accidentally skipped it in the collection because it didn't have "Tomb Raider" in the title.

But it seems to also be 80% off as it is showing as $1.99 right now.

I don't think I can handle another steam seal in such a short interval!

To make matters worse, I'll only have my tablet on that time period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oipic

Bit puzzled at how I missed that Arcane Worlds spotlight thing on Groupees... I thought it had like a whole day left to run, or something, and I've just refreshed the page a dozen times wondering why the purchase option wasn't appearing anywhere. Where does the time go?

So, so many bundles and whatnot to keep track of these days.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
I tried that before just to see how it would look. And it looks pretty terrible honestly. It wouldn't be so bad if I created an icon for all of the other links there but having

text
text
[icon] text
[icon] text

looks really strange.

Why not create a default blank/transparent icon that is automatically inserted for those entries that don't have one?

[......] text
[......] text
[icon] text
[icon] text

cicero

Bit puzzled at how I missed that Arcane Worlds spotlight thing on Groupees... I thought it had like a whole day left to run, or something, and I've just refreshed the page a dozen times wondering why the purchase option wasn't appearing anywhere. Where does the time go?

So, so many bundles and whatnot to keep track of these days.

yeah, that one was really short. I only saw it on the main groupees page with about an hour left to buy it. I couldn't miss out on a remake of Magic Carpet. It was an alpha though, and I don't think it broke $2,000, so it is likely that it might come up on another bundle at some point in the future.

JaseC

So, is there a quick way to allow downloading while game is running for every game?

Nope. You have to alt-tab and resume the download whenever you run something.

Edit:
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bridge It -- MB-B20D312862F6A927 - Taken by NingenJanai

Nope. You have to alt-tab and resume the download whenever you run something.

Edit:

Thanks a lot for BRIDGE IT JaseC.

BTW, Anyone else getting insane playtimes in the recently played section? I'm getting a much higher number than the total hours played.

oipic

It wouldn't be so bad if I created an icon for all of the other links <snip>

I was reluctant (well, too busy at work) to suggest earlier that the neatest option would be just that, to create icons for those links that don't currently have them, then to left-align them - but of course that would mean more time creating/maintaining icons (and even more so if the option is kept to have pretty coloured ones, too)... and the very thought of creating art scares me, personally.

In jshack we trust, though - I'm sure you'll find a solution. :)

Thanks for Garry's Mod, e36wheelman!

Hey JaseC, if you happen to meet an unfortunate and tragic end, can we have a ModBot raffle for your steam account? >_>

Was it the last Steam client update that finally removed the "NEW" underneath your name (you know, next to STORE LIBRARY COMMUNITY). I just noticed it's not there anymore... about damn time.

Thanks for Garry's Mod, e36wheelman!

Hey JaseC, if you happen to meet an unfortunate and tragic end, can we have a ModBot raffle for your steam account? >_>

Was it the last Steam client update that finally removed the "NEW" underneath your name (you know, next to STORE LIBRARY COMMUNITY). I just noticed it's not there anymore... about damn time.

I don't like the way the new update displays downloads on the bottom, I liked the old way better.

I'm the worst CS: GO player but having a lot fun with it. Let's see if the matchmaking can find me as bad playeras as I am. That's a hefty challenge though.

Kinda bummed I didn't buy Test Drive Unlimited when it was a flash deal. I hope it gets down to that price again soon, at least before the licenses expire. Though it had some weird activation limit that could be problematic, especially as I plan to family share my games to my friends..

Tomb Raider 2013 is pretty damn bad. If you are getting the bundle (which is ridiculous bang for buck), you're much better off playing the previous iterations which are actual Tomb Raider games rather than some uninspired attempt to appeal to the third-person shooter crowd.

Also, Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light is a really good spin-off even if you don't play it (as intended) in co-op, which includes revised puzzles. Shame the good-for-nothing reboot shelved all plans for its sequel, so sweep it up for 2 bucks while the discount still lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom