• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, The Walking Dead.

:/

but in a good way.

I pretty much despise heavily story driven conventional games i.e. a game that tries to be a traditional game, giving the player agency as normal in a game but which crams their crappy story on top as well. I'm sure you can think of a few example yourselves :p.

However, heavily story driven 'games' that are more a story with a bit of gamey interactive stuff? Those I can enjoy. I loved Dear Esther and The 39 Steps for example. Oh and The Walking Dead now too :D.

The interface throws me sometimes so I might switch from kb&m to controller. Other than that I love it. The only thing I don't really love is that I can't save everyone :'(. That's the point though. You lot weren't wrong about the feels :(. I started and finished the first chapter this evening. Onto the second tomorrow. I'm not up for dealing with any more of it tonight :/. I expect I haven't experienced anything yet where the feels are concerned.

jediyoshi

Or you are sitting on your high horse so high that can't see how it was for those that had it at the start as clean install not upgrade over 7, just a thought. ;)
And win 8 is evil! There is no denying that. (><)

If someone could literally just breakdown the functional difference as far as the start screen is concerned so there'd a point of reference for an actual discussion, I'd be pleased as punch.

52,000 concurrent right now! Impressive.

Interest piqued. Looks like going rate is 4 keys

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just played the first act of KR0. That was... amazing. So weird and surreal, and even a bit creepy at times. Loved the song interlude. I was really freaked out when
I turned out the lights in the mine shafts and a silhouette appeared.

Will play Act II tomorrow. This is great stuff.

Anteater

So, The Walking Dead.

:/

but in a good way.

I pretty much despise heavily story driven conventional games i.e. a game that tries to be a traditional game, giving the player agency as normal in a game but which crams their crappy story on top as well. I'm sure you can think of a few example yourselves :p.

However, heavily story driven 'games' that are more a story with a bit of gamey interactive stuff? Those I can enjoy. I loved Dear Esther and The 39 Steps for example. Oh and The Walking Dead now too :D.

The interface throws me sometimes so I might switch from kb&m to controller. Other than that I love it. The only thing I don't really love is that I can't save everyone :'(. That's the point though. You lot weren't wrong about the feels :(. I started and finished the first chapter this evening. Onto the second tomorrow. I'm not up for dealing with any more of it tonight :/. I expect I haven't experienced anything yet where the feels are concerned.

Yeah I like the series, just finished season 1 recently, I think there are some things it could improve on or that they could do differently, but it's a pleasant to sit through and I would like to play more of them. I also really like ep2, I think it was my favorite ep.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Dammit, Steam Support says my Bioshock Infinite key was revoked by the publisher's request. Not sure when. I bought it from Play-Asia a little after launch when I saw it linked on here. That's probably why (I'm in the US).

I'll just buy Starbound now and worry about re-buying that later.

mrgone

Site wont even load for me. Will check out the bundle later or tomorrow, I guess.

It's weird. I was on there for a sec, then the page refreshed and hasn't loaded since. The jist is Adventures of Shuggy (Steam and Desura), Dungeon Lurk (Desura), Dungeon Prospector (Desura), Hack Slash Loot (Steam), and something for a dollar. For $2 all that plus Hacker Evolution, Hacker Evolution Untold, and Hacker Evolution Duality (Steam, Desura) with a little bit of Steam DLC for each.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Terraria IN SPACE!!!

I still don't understand this.

"It's terraria IN SPACE"
Cut to spaceship
"I'm on my spaceship look how awesome it is!"
*walks around*
"well, let's go to the planet"
game just looks like Terraria

Sure, it has quests now, and I believe you'd be able to move from one planet to another... but... it's just terraria.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, a Better Terraria is an amazing game. I just don't get the "on space" thing, since you're just using the ship to visit other planets.

"Terraria in space" means mining asteroids to me. This just looks like doing terraria things and jumping to different planets as opposed to different servers... with quests. Which all sounds amazing.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Dammit, Steam Support says my Bioshock Infinite key was revoked by the publisher's request. Not sure when. I bought it from Play-Asia a little after launch when I saw it linked on here. That's probably why (I'm in the US).

I'll just buy Starbound now and worry about re-buying that later.

Damn that's pretty fucked up.

Derrick01

Banned
strange, isn't it just another terraria?

Terraria on steroids. Way more worlds to explore and it was designed from the start with all the RPG and quest stuff, whereas most of that was eventually tacked on to Terraria in a patch. It was still good but you obviously get a stronger game when you design it from the start with all of that.

"It's terraria IN SPACE"
Cut to spaceship
*walks around*

Sure, it has quests now, and I believe you'd be able to move from one planet to another... but... it's just terraria.

I mean I understand the draw, Terraria is popular, but I sort of feel like it's just Terraria with a bunch of different biomes as well. I think they said that the space stuff, most interesting to me, where you're in custom designed ships and maybe space combat, will come later but what do I know I don't have the game. Maybe they will expand the stuff into space space, but it seems like the game itself is practically all planetside.

Dr Dogg

"It's terraria IN SPACE"
Cut to spaceship
*walks around*

Edit: Don't get me wrong, a Better Terraria is an amazing game. I just don't get the "on space" thing, since you're just using the ship to visit other planets.

"Terraria in space" means mining asteroids to me. This just looks like doing terraria things and jumping to different planets as opposed to different servers... with quests. Which all sounds amazing.

Hahaha no I know what you mean. Just everyone I asked about it replied the same way. Seams like an easy way to describe it and how it's different if only slightly.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hahaha no I know what you mean. Just everyone I asked about it replied the same way. Seams like an easy way to describe it and how it's different if only slightly.

And when you think about it, isn't your Spaceship just your house that you can take around to other biomes?

Remember on terraria where you had your home in one end of the world, and then the dungeon you wanted is on the other end of the world, so you had to make houses along the way to heal or whatever?

So you had a place on the Jungle Biome to store some items, and another on the Desert Biome, because you had to go through them to get to the Dungeon at the end of the map?

Your spaceship = your home
Desert Biome = one planet
Jungle Biome = other planet
your home = accessible at all times.

It's a great idea. But there's very little "spaceing" going on.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean I understand the draw, Terraria is popular, but I sort of feel like it's just Terraria with a bunch of different biomes as well. I think they said that the space stuff, most interesting to me, where you're in custom designed ships and maybe space combat, will come later but what do I know I don't have the game. Maybe they will expand the stuff into space space, but it seems like the game itself is practically all planetside.

True but they're also using a lot of sci-fi elements typically found in "X in Space!" themed game. There are multiple playable races (not just human) that each have their own lore, backstory, and special abilities. In addition to basic "survival" mechanisms used in Terraria (such as rope) you also have space lasers and such, though admittedly Terraria had them as well.

Either way I'm really excited to try this out. When I do I'll let you guys know what I think.

Colin.

It's weird. I was on there for a sec, then the page refreshed and hasn't loaded since. The jist is Adventures of Shuggy (Steam and Desura), Dungeon Lurk (Desura), Dungeon Prospector (Desura), Hack Slash Loot (Steam), and something for a dollar. For $2 all that plus Hacker Evolution, Hacker Evolution Untold, and Hacker Evolution Duality (Steam, Desura) with a little bit of Steam DLC for each.

Thanks for the run down. Have Shuggy, and have no interest in Hack Slash Loot, or Hacker Evolution. I will check out the Desura games to see if they're any good, providing Steam keys are given, if greenlit.

Dr Dogg

And when you think about it, isn't your Spaceship just your house that you can take around to other biomes?

Remember on terraria where you had your home in one end of the world, and then the dungeon you wanted is on the other end of the world, so you had to make houses along the way to heal or whatever?

So you had a place on the Jungle Biome to store some items, and another on the Desert Biome, because you had to go through them to get to the Dungeon at the end of the map?

Your spaceship = your home
Desert Biome = one planet
Jungle Biome = other planet
your home = accessible at all times.

It's a great idea. But there's very little "spaceing" going on.

Reading thought the beta thread the differences seams to be, like you say, cosmetic. Haven't read or seen too much about any npc's or greater story elements so still waiting to see if it is much deeper than Terraria. Still there's 51,000+ people finding out let's see how long that lasts and if it goes up or down and by how much.

True but they're also using a lot of sci-fi elements typically found in "X in Space!" themed game. There are multiple playable races (not just human) that each have their own lore, backstory, and special abilities. In addition to basic "survival" mechanisms used in Terraria (such as rope) you also have space lasers and such, though admittedly Terraria had them as well.

Either way I'm really excited to try this out. When I do I'll let you guys know what I think.

Sounds good, thanks for explaining that.

This one just came up today too, I think, http://store.steampowered.com/app/257050/. Darkout, another space themed survival terraria-esque game, pretty graphics.

mrgone

Isn't there supposed to be FTL-style ship combat in Starbound eventually? That seems like a pretty good reason to get excited about Terraria in space :)

Derrick01

Banned
Reading thought the beta thread the differences seams to be, like you say, cosmetic. Haven't read or seen too much about any npc's or greater story elements so only still waiting to see if it is much deeper than Terraria. Still there's 51,000+ people finding out let's see how long that lasts and if it goes up or down and by how much.

The initial beta release that came out today is missing a ton of content still, including the main story/quest. That's mostly why I held off on buying it. I think they said the second main update is when they plan on being mostly feature complete.

Dr Dogg

The initial beta release that came out today is missing a ton of content still, including the main story/quest. That's mostly why I held off on buying it. I think they said the second main update is when they plan on being mostly feature complete.

Yeah Retro mentioned in the OP that there will be 3 phases and the main quest won't be added in until the third phase. Still that's a shit load of people buying a game on a promise so I will be keeping an eye on how it goes before jumping in. Not that I play half my my Steam 'library' anyway.

Overdoziz

Banned
Anyone else have had freezing issues with Papo & Yo? It runs really smooth 90% of the time and then there's sections where it'll suddenly freeze for a short moment every handful of seconds.

TheD

The Detective
What is 'all that crap'? What's the actual flow of how you use either start screen? You hit the thing, type in what you're looking for and go, then you're back in the desktop mode.

Sounds to me like you just have an issue with Windows in general and how start menus have always been. Either that or you're not aware of how the new start menu behaves. Or you're complaining because it looks a bit different and change is evil.

The crap is all the other changes they made that do not fit well with the normal windows GUI like the new side bar thing that you have to use to get to things like the power button.

And how dare you make stupid, baseless assumptions about what I like in a GUI!
Not only was what I described correct (that you can not just use search for everything), but I have used a large number of GUIs!
From KDE, GNOME, Unity and Cinnamon, OSX, iOS and Android to Windows 3.1, Windows 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7,8 ect. I have used a ton!
I in fact really like what some of them (KDE and Cinnamon) do over Windows, the difference between them and Windows 8 is that they are improvements and not an insane attempt to ram parts of a GUI for tablets and phone onto a desktop OS!

I suggest that before posting rubbish like that last sentence you should think about how it is possible to not like what was done in a new version of something without thinking "change is evil"! (funny how a huge amount of Win8 defenders always try to use that line).

P.S:
I would like if the thread did not get derailed anymore.

I dunno why but something just isn't clicking for me with Guacamelee. I mean there's nothing specifically terrible about it. It has cute graphics and charm.

I think it might be because it reminds me of Outland with the dark/light mechanic a little bit even though they work very differently.

I'm not a big fan of Guacamelee's "kill all enemies in a box, rooms" though, those get old pretty quick.

FloatOn

oh man.... two hours just vanished from my life. I've barely scratched the surface of Starbound and it's so good. SO GOOD.

This is everything Terraria hoped it could have been. So many slick design upgrades and overall polish. I can't wait to put in a significant more time with this.

vixlar

Anyone know if Steam has any games where you can turn the screen sideways? Bought a monitor that can swivel sideways so I feel I could play an old school top down shooter, but google isn't helping me.

Ikaruga in Xbox 360 does it. I wish they keep that option for Steam

Sanctum 2 is very neat co-op experience for sure. Looks and plays well too. Sometimes it feels a bit easy but then a wave surprises you and it gets hectic. Also feat of strength gives more difficulty if needed. Though some of our troubles in our co-op games has been because of laziness in the building section.

Caerith

Keep in mind that stuff was added about 15 days ago and, subsequently, hasn't been touched again.

Square may be waiting for their new MMO to flat line a bit in terms of sales, then use a Steam release to reinvigorate the user base.

For MMO's launched through Steam, are they required to allow purchase options through the Steam client such as with F2P games?

Didn't see you answered, but I don't think it's required. With Final Fantasy XI, S-E never gave the option to purchase expansions through Steam-- they'd just pull the sub from the store then add a new "Ultimate Edition" containing the latest expansion (with a discount for anyone who owned the previous edition). Final Fantasy XIV isn't F2P (and likely never will be) so just expect it to get pulled/re-added every time an expansion rolls out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't see you answered, but I don't think it's required. With Final Fantasy XI, S-E never gave the option to purchase expansions through Steam-- they'd just pull the sub from the store then add a new "Ultimate Edition" containing the latest expansion (with a discount for anyone who owned the previous edition). Final Fantasy XIV isn't F2P (and likely never will be) so just expect it to get pulled/re-added every time an expansion rolls out.

This is the assumption I'm going to operate on, but if Squeenix were smart it'd just release the expansions as DLC.

(Why am I offering ideas that would reduce my potential game count?)

Parsnip

If someone could literally just breakdown the functional difference as far as the start screen is concerned so there'd a point of reference for an actual discussion, I'd be pleased as punch.

Personally, I'm primarily a mouse user. I used Win8 for about a month. I found the start screen annoying to use with a mouse. Start menu isn't annoying to use with a mouse.

It seems to me that a lot of people are assuming that everyone uses their desktop the same way. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

jediyoshi

The crap is all the other changes they made that do not fit well with the normal windows GUI like the new side bar thing that you have to use to get to things like the power button.

And how dare you make stupid, baseless assumptions about what I like in a GUI!
Not only was what I described correct (that you can not just use search for everything), but I have used a large number of GUIs!
From KDE, GNOME, Unity and Cinnamon, OSX, iOS and Android to Windows 3.1, Windows 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7,8 ect. I have used a ton!
I in fact really like what some of them (KDE and Cinnamon) do over Windows, the difference between them and Windows 8 is that they are improvements and not an insane attempt to ram parts of a GUI for tablets and phone onto a desktop OS!

I suggest that before posting rubbish like that last sentence you should think about how it is possible to not like what was done in a new version of something without thinking "change is evil"! (funny how a huge amount of Win8 defenders always try to use that line).

P.S:
I would like if the thread did not get derailed anymore.

The amount of text dedicated to actually addressing the question and what that encompasses versus trying to frame everything else is pretty telling.

Personally, I'm primarily a mouse user. I used Win8 for about a month. I found the start screen annoying to use with a mouse. Start menu isn't annoying to use with a mouse.

It seems to me that a lot of people are assuming that everyone uses their desktop the same way. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I meant with the assumption that, had someone been so averse to metro altogether, they were already just sticking with desktop mode. Maybe pretending win7 was the baseline, what's now gotten in the way of the typical workflow that there's a tangible difference between how the start screen affects you versus the classic start.

Kuroyume

Banned
Anyone going to get the groupees Indie bundle? 99 levels to hell was greenlit today and it's part of that bundle. Looks kind of nice AND shitty at the same time. Like a bootleg Spelunky with a better theme. Was wondering if I should even bother getting the bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom