• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
badassbrxggwhp9t.png

To celebrate the release of Mysterious Cities of Gold on steam...I'm giving away Mysterious Cities of Gold on steam.

ModBot said:
Zia! Esteban!:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you past.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mysterious Cities of Gold -- MB-911866F1EB29F86C - Taken by Mr. Poolman. 44 entrants total.

t1384999335z1.png

Bonus Cuteness: My cat Zia

No idea if the game is good or not, but I don't really care.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hey JaseC buy that Young Justice game and tell me if it's good

you want it because, uh...

think Htown think

it's a licensed game based on a cancelled TV show, so it won't be there long?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To celebrate the release of Mysterious Cities of Gold on steam...I'm giving away Mysterious Cities of Gold on steam.

Epic giveaway. I really hope the game isn't a turd.

jshackles imma pm you later tonight

we have business to discuss

If that's anything like "we need to talk"... I'm scared.
;)

MRORANGE

You have no idea how much I want to.

Feel free to jump into the madness.

I'd buy one for every TV in my house, and my friend's houses. Right after I build my PC.

I would too. I have most of the parts for my own streaming solution. But low power consumption would be worth sacrificing some functionality for.

Inded, I really would prefer a small device in the living room that isn't a pc.

We really do need more 5 volt small-in-box computers. My Raspberry Pi is amazing, but there's only so much it can do.

Well it's for streaming, so it's not going to used for much else, if I really wanted a PC in the lving room I would have got a HTPC case so I could easily change parts, but the extra size and cost is not my thing

Those are very good. The last guy is Smith from the Matrix right?

EDIT: On second thought, maybe not. The shades and suit just really throws me off.

Go watch Reservoir Dogs now!

MwS87um.gif

That was my initial thoughts when I found out about Steam boxes. Having some kind of low cost device hooked up to your TV, that would stream the games via your PC. I feel like there would be more of a market for that than the regular Steam boxes themselves.

Also, got to give the dualshock 4 a try. thumbsticks were a bit small, but it was an overall improvement in every way to previous Playstation controllers. I feel sorry for anyone getting a PS4 on launch if games like Knack are the big selling point. Really dull and repetitive, the kind of game I wouldn't even BTA for in a bundle. Hope stores set up Xbox One's soon as well, then I can decide on a new PC controller, once launch price madness declines.

Yeah I played on next gen a few months ago and the line-up right now is terrible, it should get better next year at least I hope.

A streaming decoder should just be a H.264+AAC Decoder. Shouldn't need much of anything with a little bit of CPU and a little bit of OS, and hopefully a 1000BaseT port. Bluetooth antenna maybe to send inputs back to the host computer as joystick inputs?

Well the reason for the cpu/gpu was to run the client and some low powered linux games, but those could be scrapped for a pure streaming device.

That's likely why Valve isn't nailing their Steambox spec to a door and calling it a day. They want the option of high-powered Linux boxes that can run the new and shiny, and they also want cheap streaming boxes that are just accessories. If the latter proves popular enough, then they'll make a simpler, cheaper version.

Indeed I hope so.

No, that's Harvey Keitel (Taxi Driver, Pulp Fiction). You're thinking of Hugo Weaving.

good man.

I've mentioned it before, but Steam should just release a low cost streaming decoder with onboard itx x86 cpu/gpu to run the OS client.

Join me.

R1AJ2NO.png
JNb6spp.png
MMvB9V1.png
oZSbORn.png

Where is Mr. Blue?

OT: Some of the characters I unlocked in Risk of Rain are really difficult to play, I guess they require more tactics than the spamming I was used to do with the Engineer and Huntress.

The_Monk

Amazing post made by the amazing fellow GAFfer toddhunter no surprises here. Thanks for the giveaway. The game sure looks interesting for a relaxing time. Also, nice bonus picture! :)

badassbrxggwhp9t.png

I'll bite :)
Love the artwork, also cute kitty.
Bonus pic, my own cat, Missile, the scourge of the neighborhood.
Cjl2VVa.jpg

How far into it are you? I just got the ship and I think it's pretty great. There was a lot of the usual AC fluff in Havana, but it was slightly more enjoyable than usual. I really like the story and the atmosphere, personally (and I'm not, by any means, an AC fan).
I have had the ship for what seems like an eternity. In reality, probably like 2 hours ahead of you. And I'm already bored out of my mind with it.

The ship was cool in the prologue but damn does it get dull fast.

Well the reason for the cpu/gpu was to run the client and some low powered linux games, but those could be scrapped for a pure streaming device.
Raspberry Pi Model B is actually what I'm thinking. It's hard to get too much smaller than that while including the wired (hopefully 1000Base-T) networking that you should really have. Chromecast doesn't have the necessary ports, and those ports actually do cost money, and should not be connected via an internal USB2 Hub.

MRORANGE

Where is Mr. Blue?

Here you go.

So is Saoirse Ronan the mascot of SteamGAF? No love for Taissa Farmiga? Keep an eye on her!

In all honesty, Melanie Laurent should have been our mascot, she can act, sing and she's french, much more mature and prettier than Ronan.

SUbIMQw.jpg

Can you put your cat as the giveaway instead? I'm pretty sure modbot can handle animal transactions now.

MRORANGE

Raspberry Pi Model B is actually what I'm thinking. It's hard to get too much smaller than that while including the wired (hopefully 1000Base-T) networking that you should really have. Chromecast doesn't have the necessary ports, and those ports actually do cost money, and should not be connected via an internal USB2 Hub.

That would be neat, the only other device that can stream PC games quite well is the Nvidia Shield. It's actually pretty responsive, (I would say on par or even better than PS4 streaming.) only downside it's 720p due to the screen size of the device.

cicero

OTs get moved to community after a month.

Typically we try to disallow platform threads because it gets a little insular and us-against-the-world and people don't participate on the site more broadly and that's a bad thing, but we've typically allowed digital download store threads because most of the games coming out did not sustain interest to have their own threads (hence XBLA, PSN, Nintendo Downloads, etc). We allowed the iOS thread both for that reason and because of the serious discoverability issues associated with mobile marketplace. Steam doesn't obviously fit into any other category or policy we've had, so it's sort of in limbo.

On the positive side for this thread, it does a good job of spotlighting new releases and stuff like software and the giveaways are pretty relevant and people occasionally do reviews and screenshots which bodes well. And everyone is generally pretty friendly among the regular crew. On the negative side--when I say negative, I don't mean bad, but rather bad for keeping this thread as one single thread and in gaming--it's also sort of a chat room (no offence guys, I'm guilty of it too!), it's not always responsive to people asking for help (sometimes because people don't read the OP), there's tons of forum game derails (post how much you spent, post how many games you have, suggest new thread titles, etc), and a lot of people who post here don't post anywhere else. I understand why that's the case by the way and I sympathize too. Just sort of going through the factors which will probably impact any future discussion on where the thread goes.

Ultimately I think splitting the thread into New Releases, Platform Questions and Features, Greenlight, Reviews and Other would not quite work because I don't think any individual thread would get as much interest as it should.

So, uh, anyway, if you don't want to get moved to Community try not to derail too much and make sure most of the conversation in here is game-focused.
Well, if it ever does get put into Community, I sure hope the option to have both a PC Community and regular thread is considered. Specifically directing the more "chatty" type aspects of this thread towards a specific Community thread. It is kind of hard not to have the various friendly conversational aspects of a community in the major PC centered thread on GAF though. I sure hope we maintain a less than formal friendly approach towards the Steam thread. The great part of the appeal for me of this thread has been the generous informative opinionated regulars who go out of their way to share their informed passionate interests in PC games. I would actually be surprised if they weren't well known, appreciated, and didn't have quirks that inspired thread in-jokes. Just my two cents, but if this thread became more of a sterile place and lost that appeal, I would probably shift back more towards straight PC news sites. I hope that there is an appreciation of and consideration for these types of sentiments in any future decision making.

Also, most of my GAF viewing and participation has changed and focused on PC related threads (indies, GOG, Steam). I hope that choice is never viewed as a bad thing. In my case it is primarily due to time and monetary constraints on my gaming interests, and my highly increased appreciation for the general sensibilities of PC gaming. I get more bang for my buck! I hope that such a focus is never considered to be a detriment to GAF as a whole, even if I ended up posting to this and the GOG threads alone. :eek:

Caerith

In all honesty, Melanie Laurent should have been our mascot, she can act, sing and she's french, much more mature and prettier than Ronan.

SUbIMQw.jpg
I liked her in Now You See Me, but it's hard to beat the Saoirse Bloc when JaseC alone accounts for over 5% of all posts.

And now for something completely different:

Is there any indication that we can expect a complete edition of the new XCOM? I'd like to get it and its expansion and DLC at some point, but it's like $80 to do so on Steam and only like $40 to do so on consoles.

oipic

Man, the nostalgia... very nice giveaway, todd - thanks mate.

Oh, and your cat is gorgeous (I'm an unashamedly crazy old cat lady).

cicero

badassbrxggwhp9t.png

What a fun giveaway. Thank you for doing this. I must have listened to the theme to the original series a dozen times since yesterday.

That would be neat, the only other device that can stream PC games quite well is the Nvidia Shield. It's actually pretty responsive, (I would say on par or even better than PS4 streaming.) only downside it's 720p due to the screen size of the device.

Theoretically, the GPU should be compressing frames output as H.264 I and P frames, and the CPU should be compressing the audio into AAC. A driver should be wrapping the two of them in to a MPEG Transport Stream, and that should be sitting on top of RTP on top of UDP. The streamer just needs to be able to receive those packets and render them to screen.

Lots of good information here:

http://www.envivio.com/files/white-papers/RTPvsTS-v4.pdf

and here:

http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/102000_102099/102034/01.04.01_60/ts_102034v010401p.pdf

Should be just about any SOC that support 1000Base-T, HDMI, and Bluetooth.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm playing Hack, Slash, Loot and... this game is unplayable, right?

There's almost no healing items. There's no health regeneration and it's all based on pure luck?

Well, fuck this!

Looks decent.
Have you played it?
Sure. And it probably was one of my favorite games I played last year. Actually, just thinking about Mutant Mudds makes me very nostalgic in a weird way. And not because of the pixels or whatever, just because it's something damn special. Something to treasure.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

There's almost no healing items. There's no health regeneration and it's all based on pure luck?

Well, fuck this!

There's a reason it's been so cheap in the past. I honestly couldn't play it for more than about 5 minutes.

MRORANGE

Theoretically, the GPU should be compressing frames output as H.264 I and P frames, and the CPU should be compressing the audio into AAC. A driver should be wrapping the two of them in to a MPEG Transport Stream, and that should be sitting on top of RTP on top of UDP. The streamer just needs to be able to receive those packets and render them to screen.

Lots of good information here:

http://www.envivio.com/files/white-papers/RTPvsTS-v4.pdf

and here:

http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/102000_102099/102034/01.04.01_60/ts_102034v010401p.pdf

Should be just about any SOC that support 1000Base-T, HDMI, and Bluetooth.

That's neat, so pretty much any modern device should suffice. will take a look at the papers.

FloatOn

Well, fuck this!

If you are in the mood for a good roguelike I would suggest Dungeons of Dreadmor or Sword of the Stars: The Pit

MRORANGE

I liked her in Now You See Me, but it's hard to beat the Saoirse Bloc when JaseC alone accounts for over 5% of all posts.

I really like her. I only listened to her music initially for Damien Rice, but she's great.

There are fans! I first saw her in Inglorious Bastards and then Beginners, then started listening to her on Youtube.

but she's mean looking

suarez got that happy je ne sais quoi going on

nCbyOs2.gif

Accoun

Played the Risk Of Rain demo, found in the previous thread. Pretty fun, but after watching TotalBiscuit struggling with it on YT, I had about 25-30 minutes on my first playthrough and I wonder whether he was so bad, I have found good items or if the demo is somehow easier. Probably died mostly (or probably it's just a good enough excuse) because I have a really weak laptop and in the later parts of the game so much was happening on screen that I had framerate dips...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom