• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Getting ready to write some GOTY stuff so I've been on a gaming binge. I've got till Friday so I should be able to squeeze some time in. I've got the following on my list but what should I prioritize?

Rogue Legacy
COJ Gunslinger
Brothers
Antichamber

Rogue Legacy took me 22 hours to get through. I'm near the end of Gunslinger now and I've played roughly 3 hours so far. That isn't to say Gunslinger isn't great it's just to point out the fact that Rogue Legacy will take you significantly longer to finish.

Jawmuncher

Wow... that is so evil it hurts me :/

I wish AoM gets ported.

How well has AoE II HD done?
I'm assuming any idea would be based on that.

Personally I would love Halo Wars to hit the PC.
Sure it's pretty easy compared to PC RTS but damn was it not a ton of fun.

Best Halo game on the 360.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow... that is so evil it hurts me :/

I wish AoM gets ported.

I'd like to see the original Age of Empires get the HD treatment first, but I fear that Age 2 HD happened because much of the original game's source assets have been lost to time.

How well has AoE II HD done?
I'm assuming any idea would be based on that.

Personally I would love Halo Wars to hit the PC.
Sure it's pretty easy compared to PC RTS but damn was it not a ton of fun.

Best Halo game on the 360.

As Mythology uses a 3D renderer there's no urgent need for any additional work beyond ensuring modern OS compatibility and perhaps also implementing widescreen resolution options in-game (as it is they need to be manually set in the game's config file).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Can I still activate Fable III if I install it? I have it but never downloaded it (I assume I can still download it from Steam's servers?). What about the co-op, is it P2P or server side? Does it still work? Sorry if I'm not making much sense here but I'm still not 100% sure on the effects of GFWL's impending doom coupled with game removal. I'm at work right now so I can't download and install it just to test.

JaseC

Can I still activate Fable III if I install it? I have it but never downloaded it (I assume I can still download it from Steam's servers?). What about the co-op, is it P2P or server side? Does it still work? Sorry if I'm not making much sense here but I'm still not 100% sure on the effects of GFWL's impending doom coupled with game removal. I'm at work right now so I can't download and install it just to test.

You can still activate the game and it won't disappear from your library let alone Steam's CDN. Throughout the 10 years of Steam's existence, the only case of a game disappearing from libraries upon removal from the store is Squeenix's Order of War: Challenge (it's an MP game and the servers were shut down a few months ago, but even so it was still an utterly stupid precedent to set, albeit one which has been partially reversed).

Jawmuncher

As Mythology uses a 3D renderer there's no urgent need for any additional work beyond ensuring modern OS compatibility and perhaps also implementing widescreen resolution options in-game (as it is they need to be manually set in the game's config file).

Makes even less sense as to why it's not rereleased.
Seriously I can't understand the reasoning these companies decide not to bother with PC releases that were already out.

derExperte

New Groupees build a bundle

http://groupees.com/shinyloot

Children of the Nile Complete - Steam
Hinterland - Steam
The Lunar Pack (Lunnye Devisty and Wake) - Steam
The Few - Greenlight
Guy vs The Wicked and Nefarious Land - Greenlight
Little Trus Man - Greenlight
Creeper World
Creeper World 2
Kingdom Elemental

What's this Shinyloot thing? "ALL KEYS AND FILES WILL BE DISTRIBUTED THROUGH SHINY LOOT." Meh, don't need another account.

JordanKZ

Makes even less sense as to why it's not rereleased.
Seriously I can't understand the reasoning these companies decide not to bother with PC releases that were already out.

I suppose the biggest issue will be netcode changes. AoM used ESO (Ensemble Studios Online) for its netcode and network infrastructure. They'd have to rip all that out and start again. I'm not sure how easy that would be.

But from a graphics standpoint? Assuming they can upres everything and stick in some modern filtering/anti-aliasing techniques, I think it'd still look pretty solid.

JaseC

A couple of spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Puddle -- MB-5907A810F86598B0 - Taken by Jawmuncher
Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-FCD59787C48F9F6E - Taken by topyy

Getting ready to write some GOTY stuff so I've been on a gaming binge. I've got till Friday so I should be able to squeeze some time in. I've got the following on my list but what should I prioritize?

Rogue Legacy
COJ Gunslinger
Brothers
Antichamber

Gunslinger is the only one I'd fully recommend. Rogue Legacy is good but grindy, and Antichamber is really clever but it ended up losing me. Haven't played Brothers.

Jawmuncher

I suppose the biggest issue will be netcode changes. AoM used ESO (Ensemble Studios Online) for its netcode and network infrastructure. They'd have to rip all that out and start again. I'm not sure how easy that would be.

But from a graphics standpoint? Assuming they can upres everything and stick in some modern filtering/anti-aliasing techniques, I think it'd still look pretty solid.

Ahhh ok the online part definitely makes sense. Since even just throwing steam to handle it would probably be some work in itself.

Anteater

wtf is John Travolta doing in my game

witcher2_2013_12_09_2ngpq6.jpg

Tizoc

Is there any sign of that Popcap Humble Bundle that got found?

I want Bejeweled 3, but £14.99 seems... unrealistic.

I wouldn't drop a big price on any of Popcap's games despite how much I've enjoyed them.
...I blame the fact that they look simple and seem like they're flash developed >_>;

Jawmuncher

I didn't know Ground Zeroes was coming out March 18th.... Dammit Konami thanks for no PC port. Now I have to buy a PS4 copy, Xbox One Copy, PS3 Copy, and 360 copy....

Was going to buy them anyway but I sure would love to add PC copy to that list.

Rogue Legacy
COJ Gunslinger
Brothers
Antichamber
Go for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Short 'n sweet little number. Haven't played Antichamber or Brothers yet, but I found Rogue Legacy to be very disappointing with the amount of grinding it required after coming off of Spelunky and Super House of Dead Ninja's.

JakeD

i never really understood the idea of rogue legacy being "grindy".. i mean, the grind IS the game. you're supposed to do the same thing over and over as you upgrade your character. if you don't like swinging the sword and platforming, it's not the grind you dislike, you just don't like the game. if the problem is that it's not challenging anymore, you're supposed to move to the next area of the castle.

Colin.

Amazon should have Black Flag for half off again come its Christmas Sale (which I'd guess is about two weeks away or so).

I would wait for this too. But if you must have it right away, you could probably find someone in the B/S/T thread, or eBay selling a uPlay code cheap. Due to the ongoing GPU free game offers.

derExperte

"You have successfully buyed the bundle" Silly BundleBandits. Only 2 steam keys, but still worth $1.

Noticed and laughed there too. :) Only 4000 people on the Puddle leaderboard. Deserves better, the liquid physics are great and they introduce new stuff every few levels.

Arthea

I didn't know Ground Zeroes was coming out March 18th.... Dammit Konami thanks for no PC port. Now I have to buy a PS4 copy, Xbox One Copy, PS3 Copy, and 360 copy....

Was going to buy them anyway but I sure would love to add PC copy to that list.

Why do you need 4 copies of it?
Are you secretly Jasec? (><)

Puddle's a nice little game, own it on Vita. And like Diner it has cards, so 1$ for the bundle is a solid deal.

Is Puddle something like the unfinished swan?

i never really understood the idea of rogue legacy being "grindy".. i mean, the grind IS the game. you're supposed to do the same thing over and over as you upgrade your character. if you don't like swinging the sword and platforming, it's not the grind you dislike, you just don't like the game. if the problem is that it's not challenging anymore, you're supposed to move to the next area of the castle.
Too heavily tied to "unlocking x upgrade after enough experience" for my tastes rather than it being primarily skill-driven. Some people like filling bars or meeting requirements that would otherwise artificially impede your progress, and others (like myself) don't.

There's something to be said about all rogue-lites having a grind aspect to it for better or for worse; I just don't think Rogue Legacy had a particularly good crack at it. Far from it. It bothered me in The Binding of Isaac as well (albeit in different ways), but at least Ed McMillen put more thought into its overall design even prior to Wrath of the Lamb and expanded it with a ton of content to justify its style of grinding, limitations of working with Flash notwithstanding. Rogue Legacy had some one-off novelty gimmicks in its stead. Different types of 'rogue-lites' admittedly, but at least I had some fun with Isaac... after having to put way too many hours to even open up the meat of that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom