• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.imgur.com/ur6Brqe.png

Broke 2000, I'm coming to get you Xelios and JaseC...

... oh, wait, voting doesn't mean I own the games? Fuck.

You win for wading through Greenlight. More than Xelios and JaseC or anyone here can say.

See, the problem with that is that they didn't actually do anything wrong. Anyway, fuck it, I'm not going to respond to this subject anymore, since what I was afraid of happened, of course

I thought it was a harmless joke or two. And imo they did do something wrong, they ambushed the guy like he is a politician hiding skeletons in his closet. I'll respect your wish to not discuss, but you kinda opened the can as much as anyone else :)

Enjoy someone!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cave Story Plus -- MB-EE5B93B1FCE7A7D0 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So right now in Enhanced Steam we're working on bringing regional pricing information from the other stores. Here is a preview of what we have so far:

xvUvtL1.png

This pop up box will only show when you mouse over the price. It's similar to how popups work when you mouse over your friend's names.

Keep in mind, it's still a work in progress. The finished product will have the currencies converted to your local currency, and show the percentage increase/decrease. In the options you'll be able to select up to 5 countries that you want to compare prices for and the order in which they display.

I know a lot of you guys use similar scripts and I want Enhanced Steam to be as good as possible. So if anyone has any suggestions of things they'd like to see as part of this, or things you find frustrating about the region pricing scripts you already use, please let me know.

I know a lot of you guys use similar scripts and I want Enhanced Steam to be as good as possible. So if anyone has any suggestions of things they'd like to see as part of this, or things you find frustrating about the region pricing scripts you already use, please let me know.

Steam Price Comparison - Unpowered does more or less what I want (Holy shit at Activision btw!)

The red of green highlighting is very handy to quickly tell if it is price gouged and is the first thing I refer to. Then obviously I'll look at the price to see how much. Based on what you wrote I would request the option to always have it expanded before the mouseover event. It is pretty much always useful to me and I'd always want to see it.

If ES can reproduce that functionality and I have one less plugin to worry about I'll be very happy.

My only real issue with it at the moment is it seems to break on big pages such as the steam weekly deals (it'll show the wrong prices and then you'll click through to cart and it'll be different).
So that might be a test case to watch out for. For example it currently shows The Chaser incorrectly in this week's deals (http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals US should be $1.24):

cicero

It was mainly the fact that we got 2 of these "jokes" in a row that set me off.
Also, people forget there's like, 10 different people writing for RPS.
If your brother drives over my puppy, I get to call you a dog-killer and make yapping noises at you for the rest of your life, right? Because that's how it seems to work, apparently.
Well, John Walker has decided to make this issue a focus of RPS. I wouldn't consider an accident where a death occurs to be the best comparison to this situation. I also haven't seen any differing comments or sentiments by the other writers there that directly stated or implied that they weren't in open, tacit or implicit agreement with Walker's general editorial tone and outlook. RPS chose to make itself into a soapbox for a shrill moral crusade, imo the backlash to this has been in pretty much direct proportion to the continued vocal strength of its intransigent assumptions and positions.

I don't think RPS deserves or needs special status or protection against the typical kind of informal needling and humor directed at topical issues on pretty much all internet forums. And you always need to remember this context...

vqwqW6o.jpg
=
kIAaOqd.jpg

Colin.

So right now in Enhanced Steam we're working on bringing regional pricing information from the other stores. Here is a preview of what we have so far:

I've found it great to use for quite some time now, and additions like this make it even more useful. Pretty much everything I would check is now featured in this extension, you and everyone that has contributed has done some great work with this. Keep it up.

Well, John Walker has decided to make this issue a focus of RPS. I wouldn't consider an accident where a death occurs to be the best comparison to this situation. I also haven't seen any differing comments or sentiments by the other writers there that directly stated or implied that they weren't in open, tacit or implicit agreement with Walker's general editorial tone and outlook. RPS chose to make itself into a soapbox for a shrill moral crusade, imo the backlash to this has been in pretty much direct proportion to the continued vocal strength of its intransigent assumptions and positions.

I don't think RPS deserves or needs special status or protection against the typical kind of informal needling and humor directed at topical issues on pretty much all internet forums. And you always need to remember this context...

vqwqW6o.jpg
=
kIAaOqd.jpg

Yes, the main focus of the site. I'm on RPS right now and every single article is about sexism in gaming, wow.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Steam Price Comparison - Unpowered does more or less what I want (Holy shit at Activision btw!)

The red of green highlighting is very handy to quickly tell if it is price gouged and is the first thing I refer to. Then obviously I'll look at the price to see how much. Based on what you wrote I would request the option to always have it expanded before the mouseover event. It is pretty much always useful to me and I'd always want to see it.

If ES can reproduce that functionality and I have one less plugin to worry about I'll be very happy.

My only real issue with it at the moment is it seems to break on big pages such as the steam weekly deals (it'll show the wrong prices and then you'll click through to cart and it'll be different).
So that might be a test case to watch out for. For example it currently shows The Chaser incorrectly in this week's deals (http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals US should be $1.24):

Thanks for the feedback. The problem at present is that the popup dialog can possibly cover other things. This allows us the keep the pricing section nice and clean without adding in a huge dialog like the script you are using does.

For example:

If it were on all the time it would be covering things. I'll look into it though and see what I can come up with. If so there will be a dropdown with "Always On", "On Mouseover", and "Off".

Right now it's only working on the app pages themselves so I'll look into adding it to sale pages as well. Thanks again for the feedback!

cicero

Yes, the main focus of the site. I'm on RPS right now and every single article is about sexism in gaming, wow.
Ok, I reread through my post multiple times and still have yet to find where I directly stated or implied that it was a "main focus of the site". I didn't. Your hyperbolic interpretation of my comments here is a complete distortion of what I said.

Ok, I reread through my post multiple times and still have yet to find where I directly stated or implied that it was a "main focus of the site". I didn't. Your hyperbolic interpretation of my comments here is a complete distortion of what I said.

I was joking, and I don't think I was implying I was directly quoting you. The point I am trying to make is that RPS very rarely makes an article about sexism in gaming, probably no more than any other VG site. When they do, they go all out, but the primary focus of the site is clearly video game coverage.

Edit: I should also say I have no interest in provoking a negative argument, so I apologize if my post came off that way.

Whools

A. Why should other writers take a stand on an issue that doesn't affect their contributions to the site explicitly
B. Why should other writers take a stand on an issue publicly at all if they don't want to
C. Why should other writers disagree with Walker? Is it an issue with his message itself or is it that you just want to see the opposing viewpoint for shits and giggles

All of these are actual questions, Though they may come of as condescending, that was not my intention. The condescension comes later.

kafiend

A. Why should other writers take a stand on an issue that doesn't affect their contributions to the site explicitly
B. Why should other writers take a stand on an issue publicly at all if they don't want to
C. Why should other writers disagree with Walker? Is it an issue with his message itself or is it that you just want to see the opposing viewpoint for shits and giggles

All of these are actual questions, Though they may come of as condescending, that was not my intention. The condescension comes later.

Why is this still being bought up in the Steam thread? Also an actual question...

cicero

C. Why should other writers disagree with Walker? Is it an issue with his message itself or is it that you just want to see the opposing viewpoint for shits an giggles

They shouldn't have to, I wasn't saying they should. I was responding to the comment "Also, people forget there's like, 10 different people writing for RPS.". I am not asserting a guilt by association argument or demanding a response "for shits an giggles". I am just pointing out my lack of awareness about anything they might have stated or implied in opposition to Walker, which a person could then logically determine whether or not a special consideration should even be applied to any remarks about RPS that notes that not everyone is approving of that specific editorial push. I assume that not everyone fits into the same exact mold as Walker, I don't feel the need to constantly mention that fact whenever a criticism is made about "RPS", because as a whole, that is what is being publicly represented, AFAIK.

I would think that the usual norm would apply and that editorials would represent the views of a site or news outlet as an institution, as determined through debate/discussion amongst the members of an editorial board/staff.

Condescend away. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, did I accidentally enter a "Sexism in games" thread? I miss talks about yerba mate and Saoirse Ronan :/

EDIT: and the 3DS too. My copy of The World Ends With You just arrived, now I need to finish Ace Attorney Investigations first.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thanks for the feedback. The problem at present is that the popup dialog can possibly cover other things. This allows us the keep the pricing section nice and clean without adding in a huge dialog like the script you are using does.

If it were on all the time it would be covering things. I'll look into it though and see what I can come up with. If so there will be a dropdown with "Always On", "On Mouseover", and "Off".

I don't care about the "huge dialog", as you say. I'm interested in always knowing how is my local price when compared to other regions. An option to leave it always on is a great idea. Hope you can implement it. :D

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I don't care about the "huge dialog", as you say. I'm interested in always knowing how is my local price when compared to other regions. An option to leave it always on is a great idea. Hope you can implement it. :D

I can do that for you: Your local currency has the best price :D Now if you want to know how much better that's a different thing.

Turfster

Oh wow. The bundlebandits site apparently sent out mails with everyone in the To section instead of Bcc? 500 email addresses in one go...

MRORANGE

People who have been added to the poll so far:

RealityExists, JaseC, PriitV, valouris, More_Badass, Baron von Loathsome, zkylon, BennyBlanco, Cheddahz, PetriP-TNT, xenoflux2113, OldAsUrSock, Nzyme32, didamangi, Zia, Tenrius, ArjanN, chronomac, jshackles, Iron Badger, Intheflorsh, SinineSiil, vermadas, Dice, Xavin, Karu, Mengy, Dambrosi, Camel Master, Baron_Calamity, Backlogger, Storm360, Wok, DukeBobby, PandaPedinte, Roboleon, Slyjss, cicero, Nabs, Cth,

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
People who have been added to the poll so far:

I don't want to judge people but
JaseC
is on that list and there's no way in hell he played more than 2 game this year.
<3 u Jase
but it's true :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom