• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Even Spelunky? That is a brilliant roguelike platformer with procedurally generated levels. I can't imagine anyone failing at that, in a larger sense that is. I voted for it as my NeoGAF Steam Thread GOTY.

I keep thinking that platformers fans live in some kind of paradise lately, somewhat even envious, just a little

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is La Mulana the type of game I can pop in and play for 30 minutes, or will I need to invest a good few hours each time I play it?

I can't decide between starting that or The Witcher 2.

It depends on how you want to approach it. It's a hard but tight game, but is good for pick up and play.

cicero

Can't get into Spelunky. I think my inability to embrace the genre is also why I suck. I did like Volgarr and Rogue Legacy though, which I guess are more "rogue-like lites", if that.
No no. There is an initial period of time where the game might seem too hard or overly punishing. I think the important thing to remember is that in Spelunky the difference is you are required to learn as you go to progress further in the game. It is the little things, bits of info to survive, that you will need to pick up that then become ordinary parts of your gameplay that will allow you to do longer and longer runs into the game. I have yet to search for information or look at the wiki, a great part of how amazingly fun it becomes is that learning to achieve excellence. Think about trying it again, and again, and again. It does eventually "click".

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Can't get into Spelunky. I think my inability to embrace the genre is also why I suck. I did like Volgarr and Rogue Legacy though, which I guess are more "rogue-like lites", if that.
Aw, come on. Volgarr is just a difficult platformer.

...It feels like the term "roguelike" is becoming the gray goo of gaming.

I take it back, Teleglitch originally came out in 2012. The Steam release added some great additional content, but the RSG feature was only available to people who bought the game originally. I love RSG, but that was an arbitrarily crappy thing to do to everyone else.

It's settled, this is how I'm rationalizing leaving Teleglitch off my GOTY list.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a complete list of games released this year on Steam?

I think the your best bet here is to just browse Steam itself and keep moving through the results until you hit January. In yesteryears there existed a Wikipedia article with all Steam games categorised by release year (as in the year the game released on the service), but this was ditched in favour of listing Steamworks titles instead.

Edit: Beaten. That's what I get for teaching a history lesson. :p

Midweek Dragon Age Origins xx% off

Another week, another EA deal.

Nzyme32

They are (well, all but a few). Speaking of, the 99 Levels to Hell devs ignored my e-mail (surprise, surprise). :(

Bastards. Ah well, i'll keep an eye out for anything new.

In other news I attached my laptop to my TV and used -bigpicture -steamos -testoobe. In a darkened room with a big screen, its oddly calming (never actually used bigpicture on a big screen till now), especially with the slightly more colourful twinkly bubbles

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
The Steam release added some great additional content, but the RSG feature was only available to people who bought the game originally. I love RSG, but that was an arbitrarily crappy thing to do to everyone else.
Not quite correct. You also got it free if you preordered the Steam version...and anyone who's willing to shell out a couple bucks can still get it now.

Nabs

Just going to say this: Volgarr is my GOTY.

header.jpg

It's the best 2D platformer I've played in ages. It's just a great lesson in video game design. I know people are afraid of it's difficulty, but it's not some I wanna be the guy troll shit. It teaches you as you play, and when you master it you'll feel like a fucking G. The controls are great, the level design is great, and there's a lot to experience and find. It's a great deal at $5.99.

Some tips: Level 2 is the toughest. Don't drop the game before beating that, or else you'd miss some of the best the game has to offer. Disable the graphical filter for raw pixel goodness. Set advanced controls in the controls menu (I personally like: Spear - Up+Attack - Y / Roll - B).
When you launch the game it will remember the last level you beat, just walk left at the start of every level and it'll warp you over to the next one. It will not save your mid-level checkpoint on a restart.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Doc Clock Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-666AFB3A16E30FB2 - Taken by Ben652. 2 entrants total.
Plain Sight -- MB-2BF6397A8FDF68E7 - Taken by ussjtrunks. 3 entrants total.
And Yet It Moves -- MB-D34C0A734C0AF929 - Taken by gabrielt16. 1 entrants total.
Snuggle Truck -- MB-156EE61987658881 - Taken by MulderWasTaken. 1 entrants total.

t1386702572z1.png

Dolor

Classic EA, call it a franchise sale and use an image of DA2 even though it's not on Steam. lol.

Interesting that the marquee states 'Dragon Age Franchise'
DA2 back from Origin yet?

Well, I've probably said it a dozen times in this thread, but I would buy DA2 on Steam. Just give me that chance, EA.

Also, I know it is a letdown from DA:O which is why I haven't played it yet.

Just going to say this: Volgarr is my GOTY.

It's the best 2D platformer I've played in ages. It's just a great lesson in video game design. I know people are afraid of it's difficulty, but it's not some I wanna be the guy troll shit. It teaches you as you play, and when you master it you'll feel like a fucking G. The controls are great, the level design is great, and there's a lot to experience and find. It's a great deal at $5.99.

Some tips: Level 2 is the toughest. Don't drop the game before beating that, or else you'd miss some of the best the game has to offer. Disable the graphical filter for raw pixel goodness. Set advanced controls in the controls menu (I personally like: Spear - Up+Attack - Y / Roll - B).
When you launch the game it will remember the last level you beat, just walk left at the start of every level and it'll warp you over to the next one. It will not save your mid-level checkpoint on a restart.
volgarr great game

Well, I've probably said it a dozen times in this thread, but I would buy DA2 on Steam. Just give me that chance, EA.

Also, I know it is a letdown from DA:O which is why I haven't played it yet.

I like DA2 a lot, even in spite of its myriad of problems. I've put 40+ hours into my Origin copy.

cicero

Not my type of games. I enjoyed platformers decades ago and then magic went away and never came back. :(
I have sort of felt that way a couple of times. I went back and got my copy of Super Mario World and played it, magic back instantly. At least for good platformers that is.

Thanks for And Yet It Moves arts&crafts, I'm installing it right now and will post impressions soon. I think I'll skip the bundle as I have more than half of them. Though ISFP looks great.

It's good thing that Bundlestars updated their site, looks better now. But one site that needs a serious overhaul is IndieGala. That's just awful.

Dolor

I like DA2 a lot, even in spite of its myriad of problems. I've put 40+ hours into my Origin copy.

Yeah, my self-imposed Steam exclusivity is just a way to manage my purchasing behavior/excessive backlog. If I didn't have a million other games to play, I'd probably already have bought it somewhere.

Nabs

So I can only get Volgarr or Steamworld Dig atm, I love platformer and metroidvania so yeah, what would you guys suggest?

Get Volgarr and then grab Treasure Adventure Game for free at GOG for your Metroid fix. Both games are amaaaoansdfpoinzing.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Bundle Bandits just send me an apology email (because they send an email to everybody with all the emails registered on the site on the CC field) with a key for Pickle Frenzy on Desura.

Thanks, I guess?

I can't in good conscious add these to my game list

ModBot said:
Instructions for MMBosstones86:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MMBosstones86, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Serious Sam 3 -- MB-92237E5FC2D26FA8 - Taken by bloke
Garry's Mod -- MB-F4291F7B2070DA72 - Taken by Blablurn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom