• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always scroll all the way down and click on sitemap in the lower left.
Look under "Shopping" on the sitemap page, there is a link to the keys page...

I bet there is a more direct way to the keys but i never bothered looking for the option in the client :p

Just found it myself, thanks. Weird that it gives you a key through the client and not in the browser.

Anyway +1

Because it's published by Matrix/Slitherine and they believe the discounts offered by Steam are harmful to developers :rolleyes:

See also: Distant Worlds, one of the best space-based 4X out there, which deserves far more success and publicity than it has gained. But again: Matrix, so it will never be on Steam :(

Dolor

Because it's published by Matrix/Slitherine and they believe the discounts offered by Steam are harmful to developers :rolleyes:

See also: Distant Worlds, one of the best space-based 4X out there, which deserves far more success and publicity than it has gained. But again: Matrix, so it will never be on Steam :(

Weird, I heard good things about Distant Worlds and was interested in it, but never saw it anywhere and forgot about it.

I wish them luck in their fight against Steam - or at least as much luck as I wish on EA.

Caerith

which is the lowest price that had "Guacamelee"?
i really want it but, not sure about price.

Lowest price right now? $9.99 at Amazon.
Lowest price historically? $7.49 on Steam a couple weeks ago.

Thing you should be doing right now? Installing Enhanced Steam.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just found it myself, thanks. Weird that it gives you a key through the client and not in the browser.

Anyway +1

I went through my entire catalog and noticed that Ironclads Anthology had a unredeemed steam key, which I redeemed and added to my library. So, I either missed it or nobody posted on the thread (I most likely missed it). If you have it, you might want to check.

I also have what appears to be an extra key for Organ Trail, but since I can't see the key used on Steam, I don't know.. :(

Trying this again. Someone want it?

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock -- MB-42A24354815EFE16 - Taken by Maxwood. 21 entrants total.

t1385079349z1.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
On cold days like this, I like to grab some hot tea and pull my dog's old chair up to the computer.
We can browse SteamGAF and he gets some pets in.

Stay warm out there fellow gaffers!.

But it's like 38 degrees (99 degrees for you infidels) where I live... :(

That just seems kind of foolish and short-sighted on their part. I mean they don't have to take part in the discounts.

Weird, I heard good things about Distant Worlds and was interested in it, but never saw it anywhere and forgot about it.

I wish them luck in their fight against Steam - or at least as much luck as I wish on EA.

Exactly. Matrix/Slitherine makes such a noise about how they are trying to nurture "niche" developers like CodeForce (one-man developer of Distant Worlds), but their publicity for the game has been abysmal. This coupled with the lack of a demo and the ridiculous high price has undoubtedly limited its sales.

Even Toma had not heard of Distant Worlds until I pointed it out to him a few weeks ago, which says something about how poorly it has been marketed. I know he bought it and has been playing it recently, though he hasn't posted any impressions yet. But yes, it is well worth getting if you enjoy 4X games.

That just seems kind of foolish and short-sighted on their part. I mean they don't have to take part in the discounts.

Yes, I entirely agree. Unfortunately, their standard response to that kind of criticism, or when shown the numerous accounts of how indie game developers have benefited from Steam, is usually to say something along the lines of "We have 13 years experience in the industry and our figures tells us we know best". Simply remarkable.

rybrad

Yes, I entirely agree. Unfortunately, their standard response to that kind of criticism, or when shown the numerous accounts of how indie game developers have benefited from Steam, is usually to say something along the lines of "We have 13 years experience in the industry and our figures tells us we know best". Simply remarkable.
So they could instantly increase the market for their games just by offering them on a extra platform, which takes minimal effort, without compromising any part of the game or experience and they refuse to do so. I like niche games myself but it takes a VERY rare exception for me to get a non-Steam game these days. I just have so many damn Steam games that other games are our of sight and out of mind. Generally when the defense to something is "I have X years of experience" it means they don't have actual responses to valid criticism.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Kanokare

Are give aways limited to Members or Junior Members too? Always wondered. I already have Bioshock Trilogy though so just asking in general.

Full Throttle
Sam and Max: Hit the Road
Maniac Mansion
Day of the Tentacle
Most of these are not likely to see the light of day for a very long time, if ever. Your best bet is to track them down on eBay. I still have most of the great Lucasarts adventure games (except a legit Full Throttle, which I think my dad may have) from the incredibly awesome "Lucasarts Archives Volume 1" pack.

One of my favourite games on Steam, hopefully it's enjoyed by someone else.
Hah, I almost entered this raffle, until I realised I already own it!

Does this GTA bundle include Episodes from Liberty City?
That's a really good question, I don't think it does. I was about to buy it since I don't play my 360 much any more but I do want all the content...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are give aways limited to Members or Junior Members too? Always wondered. I already have Bioshock Trilogy though so just asking in general.

There are no restrictions on giveaways, besides a one-win-per-fifteen-minutes throttle, and then the rules listed in the post of the giveaway in question. If the giveaway requires you not to be a junior member it'll say in the giveaway.

There are no restrictions on giveaways, besides a one-win-per-fifteen-minutes throttle, and then the rules listed in the post of the giveaway in question. If the giveaway requires you not to be a junior member it'll say in the giveaway.

Has anyone actually used that yet, though?

Kanokare

No. The giver can impose restriction and exclude juniors but there's an 'only juniors' rule too.

Oh okay. Thanks for the info!

Does this GTA bundle include Episodes from Liberty City?

Also, Manhunt 2 doesn't show up on the Steam store for me. This Manhunt pack is apparently redeemable on Steam though. Has anyone tried it?

About GTA bundle, doesn't sound like it but I'll try asking Tony from Amazon on the CAG post.

I wonder what those figures are because until you mentioned it just now in your previous post I hadn't heard of Distant Worlds either, both of those games would be total impulse buys for me if they were on Steam. I may not be the best at 4x games but I am a sucker for the genre and am always willing to give new games in the genre a shot.

Dolor

Exactly. Matrix/Slitherine makes such a noise about how they are trying to nurture "niche" developers like CodeForce (one-man developer of Distant Worlds), but their publicity for the game has been abysmal. This coupled with the lack of a demo and the ridiculous high price has undoubtedly limited its sales.

Even Toma had not heard of Distant Worlds until I pointed it out to him a few weeks ago, which says something about how poorly it has been marketed. I know he bought it and has been playing it recently, though he hasn't posted any impressions yet. But yes, it is well worth getting if you enjoy 4X games.

I'd probably pick it up if it were on Steam, but I'll pass otherwise. For me, it's just about respect for my time. I go into Steam every day. It's automatic. That's where my friends are. That's where I play my games. If some dev wants to pocket the full game cost rather than possibly share that with Valve, and in doing so they make it harder or take longer for me to access their game, that's their choice, but it's a choice that puts their money over my time and convenience, and to me that is disrespectful. Fortunately, there are plenty of devs who do respect my time, so it's not a big sacrifice of a choice to make.

Dolor

I wonder what those figures are because until you mentioned it just now in your previous post I hadn't heard of Distant Worlds either, both of those games would be total impulse buys for me if they were on Steam. I may not be the best at 4x games but I am a sucker for the genre and am always willing to give new games in the genre a shot.

Niche games like 4X strategy (I say that with the utmost love, but it's true) benefit hugely from services like Steam because it gives them exposure well beyond what they could otherwise get. Case in point, the number of people in this thread alone - likely very high information gamers - that hadn't even heard of their game.

Given that Steam has 65M users, they would need to sell to 0.015% of active Steam users to sell 10K copies. That is not a large percentage.

Damn I hope we can get a similar price for Skyrim during the next Steam sale.

Okay Penguin, you're on.
How this thread should be named?

At the end of the last thread someone suggested Gabeness Awaits. After seeing that gif I think that would have been the perfect thread title.

ESCWFqa.gif

Caerith

Niche games like 4X strategy (I say that with the utmost love, but it's true) benefit hugely from services like Steam because it gives them exposure well beyond what they could otherwise get. Case in point, the number of people in this thread alone - likely very high information gamers - that hadn't even heard of their game.

Given that Steam has 65M users, they would need to sell to 0.015% of active Steam users to sell 10K copies. That is not a large percentage.

Developing a PC game and not putting it on Steam is like developing a mobile game and not putting it on iOS or Android. I imagine it would take 13 years of experience to develop a Nook-exclusive.

(And who in their right mind measures experience in units of time? Saying "We have 13 years of experience" sounds like "We started doing this 13 years ago and haven't changed, learned, or adapted to anything ever since.")

I'd probably pick it up if it were on Steam, but I'll pass otherwise. For me, it's just about respect for my time. I go into Steam every day. It's automatic. That's where my friends are. That's where I play my games. If some dev wants to pocket the full game cost rather than possibly share that with Valve, and in doing so they make it harder or take longer for me to access their game, that's their choice, but it's a choice that puts their money over my time and convenience, and to me that is disrespectful. Fortunately, there are plenty of devs who do respect my time, so it's not a big sacrifice of a choice to make.

I very much understand and respect this. I've seen similar sentiments expressed numerous times on other boards and wrestled with them myself before finally deciding to buy Distant Worlds anyway. It's a shame, because you'd probably both enjoy it - especially you jaundicejuice: I remember the detailed series of posts you made a while back when you were playing Civ 5 - but sometimes companies are their own worst enemies.

I do want to make it clear however: it is the publisher that has the problem with Steam (and heavy discounting in general), not the developer.

As for Pandora, I haven't played it myself yet, but I've been hearing positive things from a number of people who have.

MRORANGE

You guys missed the ball in naming this thread.

All the other titles were pretty mediocre tbh, since it was nearing sale time, I just slapped on the normal alert of not asking when the sales were going to start.

At least there's one already sorted out for the 2014 thread, which is looking pretty good at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom