• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

eyeless

h0z0FMO.png

less ugly install button now, hopefully all these little changes are leading up to an eventual overhaul where they show achievements

Eternia

Been said many times, but community voting just didn't work. Just people voting on names they recognized, or a game they already had and liked. Which resulted in many repeated deals, and smaller titles up for vote not appearing on sale at all.
Yeah but that's only part of the problem since Valve also decided to allow repeats for flash deals to go along with the sale ending recaps. I guess it's working as intended though since the big budget titles usually end up topping the charts every time they pop up.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
To celebrate the top 10 Greenlight listing, Thetrin just posted 100 free keys for One Way Heroics over in the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727834 :-O

Description from the thread said:
The game is basically a turn based roguelike sidescrolling dunge... er... overworld crawler. Darkness approaches from the left and you are escaping from it, exploring the world, beating demons, bartering with merchants, upgrading your equipment, levelling up and generally kicking ass until you are strong enough to finish off the demon lord and saving the world.

As you play the game, you will earn points based on your performance to unlock more classes, new skills, and new ways to conquer the ever-looming Darkness, like a possibility to transfer your most valuable items to your next run. You will even earn points if you die. Defeat is not the end. Instead you always get a sense of improvement by unlocking more customization options, which makes each run rewarding in itself. The game does a very good job at engaging the player by allowing an easy entry into the game, but still offering plenty of challenge and tactics if you feel like you are up for it, especially by gradually unlocking more options instead of overwhelming the player right out of the gate. Even considering the surprising amount of depth and challenge it can offer, the game is by no means one of the hardest/deepest games in the genre, but I believe it comes together splendidly and feels original enough to deserve a shoutout in the form of this thread.
Link to his giveaway: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94074874&postcount=131

Go grab a copy guys!

(And give it a Greenlight thumb, say thank you and/or post some impressions).
You can redeem the code here and you'll get a steam key once its greenlit: http://www.playism-games.com/games/onewayheroics/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
less ugly install button now, hopefully all these little changes are leading up to an eventual overhaul where they show achievements

Just a heads up in case you aren't aware, but Enhanced Steam adds achievement stats to your All Games page.

Salsa

first episode of Season 2 of TWD easily lives up to season 1's quality

buy with confidence.*

*good luck with your saves

FloatOn

You may have desired something completely different, but the tone of your thread and title came off as ridiculous and jerk-faced. Insulting members of a community that don't necessarily share your passion while apparently trying to seriously advocate for it, and then playing it off after a backlash as merely being misunderstood light humor isn't too realistic.

well I'm deeply sorry for whatever offense you might have felt. it was not my intention at all.

and with that I'm off to bed. happy gaming everyone and I'm looking forward to all the hype or lack thereof tomorrow.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
h0z0FMO.png

Achievement sections for the "All Games" tab are unlikely to happen:

Still needs to check each and every single game for achievements, and unlike the recent games tab, all games isn't split by 10/25/50, but shows everything at once by default.
Now imagine that happening for people like Jase or xelios and multiply this by 7 million users =p

When I asked Valve about this, your reasons are the exact ones they gave me as to why this isn't done by default.

When Enhanced Steam does this, it excludes games with no playtime and also excludes games that don't have achievements. On my own profile, with 1422 games, the process takes about a minute and a half to pull all of the data.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
That's what that leaked document said and as far as I know it's been accurate as far as the starting dates for everything. It makes sense really because you don't want to piss people off who bought stuff less than a month ago, but at the same time it does diminish hype knowing the games that were dailies last time will be the same price.

Link to the doc?

eyeless

Just a heads up in case you aren't aware, but Enhanced Steam adds achievement stats to your All Games page.
i'm the guy who mentioned they weren't showing up for me in firefox before, already an enhanced steam user here
Achievement sections for the "All Games" tab are unlikely to happen:
that sucks, still, jshackles figured it out, hopefully they can. or i can be satisfied with if he gets it working in firefox

PSA : MGR:R is up for Pre-order on Amazon. Wait until the Steam store changes over tomorrow. Will be $20 for 48 hours (maybe a daily?).

A Konami rep said to wait for the steam release tomorrow because it could be even cheaper. :)

Edit: I basically just repeated what you said, oops. Still, wait for that daily guys.

jshackles

i'm the guy who mentioned they weren't showing up for me in firefox before, already an enhanced steam user here

Oh right. Yeah that's in the works too. I have it working again in Firefox after the latest changes Valve made, but if your game list is long... well the browser doesn't handle it as gracefully as Chrome.

Oh right, the guy from the slap game video. I really need to get into GoT soon before I know everything about it via osmosis.

I'm sad to report that I have also not watched any Game of Thrones. You would think I would being such a fan of Moma (I even liked him in Conan which was a terrible terrible movie).

I chose him as my avatar after watching Stargate Atlantis. Ronon Dex, although a fictitious character, is the closest to my actual demeanor I've ever seen. Watching Stargate Atlantis after he came on the show was like watching myself in a mirror. (Well, maybe Ronon Dex mixed with Rodney McKay, but yeah)

A Konami rep said to wait for the steam release tomorrow because it could be even cheaper. :)

Edit: I basically just repeated what you said, oops. Still, wait for that daily guys.

I see your edit, just wanted to clarify.

The release price is $30. Starting tomorrow at store change (1pm EST), it will be 33% off for $20. Presumably a featured daily of some sort. After the daily...it will return to a pre-order discount of 20% ($24) until release (Jan. 9th).

tl : dr - don't pre-order on Amazon now, wait until the dailies. (Supposedly Amazon will price match)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It'll be $20 on both Steam and Amazon for 48 hours, following which it'll be 20% off until release.

jshackles

I see your edit, just wanted to clarify.

The release price is $30. Starting tomorrow at store change (1pm EST), it will be 33% off for $20. Presumably a featured daily of some sort. After the daily...it will return to a pre-order discount of 20% ($24) until release (Jan. 9th).

tl : dr - don't pre-order on Amazon now, wait until the dailies. (Supposedly Amazon will price match)

I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS2. Am I going to be missing the plot on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeanceersarerdfd?

Salsa

also on the walking dead season 2: it's a much better looking game. I expected an improvement but not this big tbh. I had to play 400 days again before so I really, really noticed it.

basically the new season has:

- way better (but still not THAT great) textures
- neat lighting tricks
- great use of DOF
- much busier environments, no that much akward empty geometry
- much much slicker interface

examples:

ibac0DyPrq60H0.png

ibhgGRZpYvRGo9.png

iWtd0qTXE9xPP.png

season 1 screen:

iAR0M2FcT5XOC.png

ew

I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid 2 on the PS2. Am I going to be missing the plot on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeanceersarerdfd?

I don't even know if Kojima knows what the 'plot' is anymore. I wouldn't worry about it, the whole thing is pretty fucked...and i've played just about all of them.

I believe this mostly follows Raidens story instead of the typical Snake/Boss/etc. we're used to.

You'll be fine

nanomachines

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm going to say this again.

I really wish the automatic Neogaf Thread refresh extension would also scroll down the page, so I could be playing mindless mmos in one monitor and reading the Steam thread on the other.

Maybe I should just get a touchscreen monitor.

jshackles

There are only a few minor references to previous Metal Gear games.

I don't even know if Kojima knows what the 'plot' is anymore. I wouldn't worry about it, the whole thing is pretty fucked...and i've played just about all of them.

I believe this mostly follows Raidens story instead of the typical Snake/Boss/etc. we're used to.

You'll be fine

nanomachines

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies. I really didn't care for the plot of 2, especially after the giant trollface that was "the demo". But Raiden was cool enough and if he's like a robot or something this time around that's pretty cool too.

It looks like the kind of game I would enjoy for $20, so I'll probably pick it up when it's on sale. :)

I'm going to say this again.

I really wish the automatic Neogaf Thread refresh extension would also scroll down the page, so I could be playing mindless mmos in one monitor and reading the Steam thread on the other.

Maybe I should just get a touchscreen monitor.

That shouldn't be too hard to change, and if I recall their plugin is also open-source. I might have to check into that.

neoism

lol at that Iseeyou guy.... I put him on ignore and he was bant like 1 minute later :p mods fordawin
Holy shit with all these pages @_@.... after looking at the amazon prices I have a feeling this sale will disappoint... :( I wanted pacman for 2 fiitty :(

also on the walking dead season 2: it's a much better looking game. I expected an improvement but not this big tbh. I had to play 400 days again before so I really, really noticed it.

basically the new season has:

- way better (but still not THAT great) textures
- neat lighting tricks
- great use of DOF
- much busier environments, no that much akward empty geometry
- much much slicker interface

I actually found the DOF effects to look intrusive and awkwardly inserted, and the new huge dialogue boxes for KB+M to look really inelegant. Those textures though, holy shit what an upgrade.

Salsa

so I could be playing mindless mmos in one monitor and reading the Steam thread on the other.

welcome to hell

I actually found the DOF effects to look really intrusive and awkwardly inserted, and the new huge dialogue boxes for KB+M to look really inelegant. Those textures though, holy shit what an upgrade.

the text looks weirdly stretched. Ugly. jumps out on an otherwise much better interface and menues

the DOF was maybe too noticeable but I feel that the previous game severely lacked stuff like this, so I didnt mind it. everything was way too flat before

also little thing: I like how your choice in dialogue kinda just drops from above. for some reason it makes it more satisfying :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
To celebrate the top 10 Greenlight listing, Thetrin just posted 100 free keys for One Way Heroics over in the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727834 :-O

Link to his giveaway: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94074874&postcount=131

Go grab a copy guys!

(And give it a Greenlight thumb, say thank you and/or post some impressions).
You can redeem the code here and you'll get a steam key once its greenlit: http://www.playism-games.com/games/onewayheroics/

I hope everyone who enjoys a good top down roguelike pays attention to this game, it's really quite nice and more than worth that price it costs (if you don't get the coupon).
It's especially nice that if you play online you get to experience how other players do in various worlds or give advice, warning, "trolling" to other players via Twitter not unlike the idea behind Demon's Souls/Dark Souls message system (allbeit not as in world).

No one appreciates Andromeda like you do.

I loved Andromeda, that first series (season for the yanks) made me happy in a way that others who talk about the original Star Trek sound like when they talk about the action and excitement I just didn't see. Wonderful looking ships, interesting technology and travel system, whole universe I wanted to see theme explore, a ruined Earth that could provide plenty of backstory, interesting new alien species (must eat living creatures), etc.
Shame about how it got turned into something terrible as time went on.

Earth Final Conflict too. If only that had stayed like it was in the first year rather than being forced to change into something it wasn't ever meant to be. I still love"future mobile phone" in that. Someday it'll come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom