• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Please don't flame me here, I'm not trying to backseat moderate or anything but this probably is going to be an unpopular opinion but; I'm starting to think these giveaways need their own threads.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are marvelous, there's a ton of very generous people here and it's a damn fine example of why PC / Steam gaming is the best, but I feel like the purpose of this thread, annoucements and updates is starting to get lost a bit. While it's still a thread dedicated to important information, updates, new games, sales, games removed but recently these giveaways are becoming more and more prevalent and have almost started superceding its purpose. I get the impression that modbot was set up to simplify the process, to have less people derailing the thread with trade shoutouts and the inevitable empty replies "there's a thread for that *link"" but it seems to have simply ended up replacing it.

Every giveaway that pops up spawns at least 3 "empty posts" , the inital "great giveaway" posts from numerous people, then the "thanks for game X!" followed by the "well done, hope you enjoy it". This massive JaseC giveaway of 200+ games will inevitably spawn 200+ posts alone, that's 2+ pages of relatively unimportant posts to parse through in order to see if any actually important news has shown up (not a dig at JaseC btw, just an example, the giveaway is god tier and I salute you sir)

Anyways, my point here is just that trading threads are set up to pool these kinds of things, I think it's starting to reach a critical point where these steam giveaways need their own thread to breathe effectively. These steam threads already move fast enough without these countless giveaways pumping up the post counts even faster.

I hope this comes across as simply a reasonable concern and doesn't sound like me going "omg i want this changed now" which isn't the case, I know many people have different expections from these threads now and these giveaways certainly build a stronger community. If I'm off base and everyone is happy with how things are I'm fine with that, but I figured I might as well just bring it up anyways.

This is basically the Steam community thread now.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Please don't flame me here, I'm not trying to backseat moderate or anything but this probably is going to be an unpopular opinion but; I'm starting to think these giveaways need their own threads.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are marvelous, there's a ton of very generous people here and it's a damn fine example of why PC / Steam gaming is the best, but I feel like the purpose of this thread, annoucements and updates is starting to get lost a bit. While it's still a thread dedicated to important information, updates, new games, sales, games removed but recently these giveaways are becoming more and more prevalent and have almost started superceding its purpose. I get the impression that modbot was set up to simplify the process, to have less people derailing the thread with trade shoutouts and the inevitable empty replies "there's a thread for that *link"" but it seems to have simply ended up replacing it.

Every giveaway that pops up spawns at least 3 "empty posts" , the inital "great giveaway" posts from numerous people, then the "thanks for game X!" followed by the "well done, hope you enjoy it". This massive JaseC giveaway of 200+ games will inevitably spawn 200+ posts alone, that's 2+ pages of relatively unimportant posts to parse through in order to see if any actually important news has shown up (not a dig at JaseC btw, just an example, the giveaway is god tier and I salute you sir)

Anyways, my point here is just that trading threads are set up to pool these kinds of things, I think it's starting to reach a critical point where these steam giveaways need their own thread to breathe effectively. These steam threads already move fast enough without these countless giveaways pumping up the post counts even faster.

I hope this comes across as simply a reasonable concern and doesn't sound like me going "omg i want this changed now" which isn't the case, I know many people have different expections from these threads now and these giveaways certainly build a stronger community. If I'm off base and everyone is happy with how things are I'm fine with that, but I figured I might as well just bring it up anyways.

I'm of mixed thoughts on it, on one hand I do think they can fill up a part of the thread, but then I also can say I think part of the fun is having it in one place. I'd rather give it to people both here for discussion and here for other things that just monitoring a thread for free games. I also think it's part of the Steam experience, as when gifting and all that was introduced and the spirit of trading. And honestly I think it kind of takes away part of the fun element of the threads, or the sort of 'center of Steam discussion and generosity" feel the thread has. Especially as there's no much really in the way of Steam news today. I think I am overall on the side of this being one, big ole' Steam discussion, community, news, and indeed giveaway center.

But I also understand how those who may be more interested in the discussion or organization of a thread would be miffed at all the giveaways.

Card Boy

Banned

Every giveaway that pops up spawns at least 3 "empty posts" , the inital "great giveaway" posts from numerous people, then the "thanks for game X!" followed by the "well done, hope you enjoy it". This massive JaseC giveaway of 200+ games will inevitably spawn 200+ posts alone, that's 2+ pages of relatively unimportant posts to parse through in order to see if any actual important news has shown up (not a dig at JaseC btw, just an example, the giveaway is god tier and I salute you sir)

Whats the issue? If it aint Steam keys then it's another 3 pages discussing JC's new Saoirse avatar change when it happens.

Stitch

Gold Member
I wish it would be somehow possible to see if a key was already redeemed.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

eXceed Gun Bullet Children -- MB-3498C706F34675C5 - Taken by GaussTek

Maybe it still works, maybe it doesn't :(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OK so I'm not supposed to talk about Elder Scrolls Online...

Freeman

Banned
I tried to get a Mirrors Edge key from the post form the previous page that is using modbot. I'm not sure if I did get it yet, but thank you for sharing it.

edit: Worked, thanks Shepard.

Chronoja

someone hates free stuff
if it was a problem mods would of done something bout it by now

I don't hate free stuff, I think it's great that we have so many generous people sharing and providing gaming experiences to many others for nothing. I'm not / won't be "fighting" for a change, just simply voicing a minor concern that's all.

Stitch

Gold Member
Got it! And key worked fine. Thanks a lot! =)

Nice :)

I really wasn't sure. Was looking through my Groupees stuff and noticed that this game was there. I knew that I didn't use the key because I already had the game and I knew that I didn't gave it to my friends because they don't care about loli shmups :p
But I wasn't sure if I already gave it to GAF. Well, now I did :)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I, for one, take advantage of a lot of the giveaways not just for a gifted game to play (of which I'm quite thankful for), but to actually discover a lot of games. I would not have known about Razor2: Hidden Skies, Sine Mora, Thomas Was Alone, Nuclear Dawn, SPAZ, and others without the giveaways.

I would be quite silly to just randomly suggest people try out Just Cause 2 multiplayer if it wasn't for the fact it appears as giveaways, likewise I wouldn't have been given the great suggestion on how to play F.E.A.R. twice in two different ways. We do some good thoughts, opinions, tips, suggestions, and advice because we notice these games being given away or someone talks about them because they just won it.

Take a look at the XBLA, PSN, and DS/3DS code giveaway threads, while quite nice and good, how much discussion is spawned out of them? How much a sense of community? Well it's just to giveaway in those threads I know, but does it lead to other threads? Xbox Live Indie thread didn't get much.

Like the iOS thread which also shares codes, these things help foster a sense of community and helps bring people in. It makes the place feel warmer and shared, we appreciate making each other happy as a sense of fellowship to paraphrase a certain monk.

I understand not wanting to see full page of nothing but thanks, but it's not that often such 100 or 200 deals are done. For those an individual threads could be done, similar to the ModBot left-overs is already accomplished. For standard giveaways however, a few thanks is no great burden I believe for all the good we do get out of it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
O9YbJ.gif

It isn't a profound achievement. Every sequel following AC2 has been progressively worse, and AC2 was a different game compared to AC1.

Dusk Golem

Well I think today's been a good day, got some good things and-

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Resident Evil Revelations -- MB-0DB54291565CC145 - Taken by Khronico. 37 entrants total.

t1385178984z1.png

Third time I'm giving this away, seems you people want this game, so here it is again.

I don't hate free stuff, I think it's great that we have so many generous people sharing and providing gaming experiences to many others for nothing. I'm not / won't be "fighting" for a change, just simply voicing a minor concern that's all.

I do know what you mean. I don't think the giveaways are an issue, more that news or reviews and sometimes even bargains get lost in such a fast moving thread.

I don't think there is a lot that can be done beyond somebody providing summaries. A compromise would be keeping big bundle giveaways in a dedicated thread. For example the origin humble bundle where we had a huge number of repeat giveaways.

Another possible idea is some way to mark posts [news], [review] etc so that something like modbot could provide a digest email or periodic summary post?

BorntoPlay

Thanks Xelios and JaseC for the awesome giveaways!!

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Ship -- MB-F218EADC4D0F4A6B - Taken by Ingueferroque. 4 entrants total.

t1385189019z1.png

chixdiggit

The Ship... Does anyone still play it? I remember having a lot of fun with it back in the day.
I also like Bloody Good Time (very similar) but community was dead last time I checked.

Dusk Golem

The Ship... Does anyone still play it? I remember having a lot of fun with it back in the day.
I also like Bloody Good Time (very similar) but community was dead last time I checked.

Official Server List is down, but can IP join servers or host still. I played with some friends recently and some random people joined, so people are still playing, though a sparser amount.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
It isn't a profound achievement. Every sequel following AC2 has been progressively worse, and AC2 was a different game compared to AC1.

I'm of a mind that for the direction it took, things did improve for 2 to Brotherhood to Revelations of the main 3D geometry games, for those aspects, but that I won't argue or debate with as I've long since grasped why one might think otherwise.

However one area I will say it did improve on and will forever argue for in terms of improvement, better locations and creation in game. Now I'm not speaking in terms of what you can do inside those locations, not enemies or story telling, but from an art and historical stand point it's been great up to Revelations (again, haven't played anything beyond that).
Assassin's Creed 1 was a good in application of trying to match the Holy Land and I was very impressed with how they attempted to match up to actual historical maps, but it was so very barren and lacking in actually feeling like it was a representation of actual cities from the past. Assassin's Creed 2 (3D geometry console/PC version and DS version) on the other hand for my go to example was absolutely wonderful in taking real world locations, following historical maps up to a point, teaching about actual people for those that wanted to delve into more, and most importantly to me look wonderful as a representation of real world cities (ignoring it's a Mario).

I fully admit however to being biased as a history buff and being the type of guy who enjoyed Prince Of Persia for going around to see the artwork of the level design and backgrounds, driving around to see the views of Paradise City in Burnout Paradise, driving around London in The Getaway while homesick because they designed it around actual proper roads and photographs, Sleeping Dogs for the best representation of Hong Kong in games yet, and so forth. If they took out all the combat in Assassin's Creed and made it purely an Adventure game where you only talked to people, I would still buy it at a reasonable price to just explore the cities.

Everything else, that's all up for debate and discussion on improvement or not, but design and history for at least those games I played, they did get better.

Also I realise I keep mentioning the game for DS and I've just been informed there have been two of them. I'm speaking specifically for Assassin's Creed II: Discovery. Which is also for iOS.
Takes place during the main game of Assassin's Creed II and a side scrolling action game which takes all the well known gimmicks of the series, stealth kills and hiding from enemies in hay, but straight forward and to the point in a linear story and progression path.
Please pardon the visuals and only so much happening, it is a DS game and early on, but for an example of what it is like. http://youtu.be/N4CW3raXRKE

I do know what you mean. I don't think the giveaways are an issue, more that news or reviews and sometimes even bargains get lost in such a fast moving thread.

Also sometimes a question is asked or a new topic is posted & it's quickly lost in a mix of giveaways, thanks post or off kilter discussions. Which could make a new poster feel ignored or not part of the community.

I think there's no easy solution but this is the only bastion of PC gaming we have.

derExperte

I, for one, take advantage of a lot of the giveaways not just for a gifted game to play (of which I'm quite thankful for), but to actually discover a lot of games. I would not have known about Razor2: Hidden Skies

Wait, are you saying Razor is a good game? I never bothered grabbing it when I had the chance despite liking shooters.

Chronoja

I, for one, take advantage of a lot of the giveaways not just for a gifted game to play (of which I'm quite thankful for), but to actually discover a lot of games. I would not have known about Razor2: Hidden Skies, Sine Mora, Thomas Was Alone, Nuclear Dawn, SPAZ, and others without the giveaways.

I would be quite silly to just randomly suggest people try out Just Cause 2 multiplayer if it wasn't for the fact it appears as giveaways, likewise I wouldn't have been given the great suggestion on how to play F.E.A.R. twice in two different ways. We do some good thoughts, opinions, tips, suggestions, and advice because we notice these games being given away or someone talks about them because they just won it.

Take a look at the XBLA, PSN, and DS/3DS code giveaway threads, while quite nice and good, how much discussion is spawned out of them? How much a sense of community? Well it's just to giveaway in those threads I know, but does it lead to other threads? Xbox Live Indie thread didn't get much.

Like the iOS thread which also shares codes, these things help foster a sense of community and helps bring people in. It makes the place feel warmer and shared, we appreciate making each other happy as a sense of fellowship to paraphrase a certain monk.

I understand not wanting to see full page of nothing but thanks, but it's not that often such 100 or 200 deals are done. For those an individual threads could be done, similar to the ModBot left-overs is already accomplished. For standard giveaways however, a few thanks is no great burden I believe for all the good we do get out of it.

Yeah, I completely agree. I read this and it makes me feel like a heartless monster for even suggesting it in the first place but you are right in that removing them from this thread will probably damage the community spirit of it all which is something I would not desire.

But maybe there's a comprimise without having to resort to pushing them into their own lifeless thread. I agree 200+ giveaways are pretty rare thus far but there's new indie bundles practically every day now, multiple mini giveaways are on nearly every page, each one spawning at least 3 of the mentioned "courtesy" (informationless was the wrong word) back and forth posts, and those really start to add up.

I guess if you look at it that way, but personally I wouldn't even classify AC1 as a game, just the penultimate let down behind something akin to Diablo 3.

AC2 was an actual game and just took it to another level, Brohood refined that, but I got sick of the series after that and never returned.

'Tis the season.

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes -- MB-F7021EAE93C1B182 - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 16 entrants total.

t1385180379z1.png

Kanokare

HOLY CRAP

I WON RE REVELATIONS

THANK YOU SO MUCH DUSK GOLEM

Grats! Maybe next time for me :)

I guess if you look at it that way, but personally I wouldn't even classify AC1 as a game, just the penultimate let down behind something akin to Diablo 3.

AC2 was an actual game and just took it to another level, Brohood refined that, but I got sick of the series after that and never returned.

AC3 was the only let down for me storywise. Just didn't have the plot twists that blew my mind much. I'm looking forward to AC4 once I find it below 20 dollars >_>

Dusk Golem

HOLY CRAP

I WON RE REVELATIONS

THANK YOU SO MUCH DUSK GOLEM

tumblr_m22qkaAMJy1qk5ynno1_400.gif

Of course, hope you enjoy it. If you happen to have the time and will, Raid Mode is quite a bit of fun I will also add, only as I know people sometimes skimp out on the extra modes, though unfortunately most of Raid Mode doesn't unlock until you've completed the campaign.

Hope you like decoys.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm hoping we get another card game in one of the upcoming sales. I have a lot of games I need to make badges for but I'm saving it in case we get seasonal cards or whatever each time we craft one like we did in the summer sale.

'Tis the season.

Thanks for the chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom