• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
vocab said:
You changed hardware profiles 3 times. Good job reading the DRM.

yeah, that makes this DRM totaly justifiable, right? :lol:

Dark Athena wasn't worth it anyway

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Javaman said:
Are the early Battlefields (1942, 2142) still in the registry or am I remembering wrongly about them being in there at all.

2142 is still coming, it's getting launched on Steam once the last patch is finalized.

graywolf323

LovingSteam said:
Most recent additions to registry:

Dead Space 2
Total War Shogun 2
Mega Drive IV (Toe Jam and Earl, Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic 2)
Bulletstorm
Sims 3 (Ep 1, 2, 3)

great after I buy The Sims 3 from Impulse >_<

oh well I might rebuy it during the next holiday sale

subversus said:
yeah, that makes this DRM totaly justifiable, right? :lol:

Dark Athena wasn't worth it anyway

Meh, to be fair, it did manage to keep the filthy pirates off of it for nearly a year or longer if I'm not mistaken. And 3 activations a month isn't bad, anyway.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sinatar said:
2142 is still coming, it's getting launched on Steam once the last patch is finalized.
I feel like that patch has been in Beta forever. I hope it means that all copies of 2142 will get Northern Strike though as I always wanted to try those maps.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sinatar said:
How does DICE find time for all those projects? They're probably big enough to be their own company by now.

Sinatar said:
I've been waiting forever for it to come to Steam. Haven't played it since the demo came out (which I played a lot). I hope it comes soon.

vocab

Stallion Free said:
I feel like that patch has been in Beta forever. I hope it means that all copies of 2142 will get Northern Strike though as I always wanted to try those maps.

Probably. BF2 users got all the boosters for free. 2142 users had the Northern Strike boosters for free since day 1. I never understand the point of those. Splits up the community, and no one really plays those expansions.

Sinatar

Stallion Free said:

It's being worked on by 1 dude. =p

But yea the Northern Strike stuff is going free and I think there are 2 other new maps, one of which is mofoing Karkand.

Shaneus

SapientWolf said:
How does DICE find time for all those projects? They're probably big enough to be their own company by now.
Still haven't resurrected their most important franchise, though: Rallisport.

mm04

Am I doing something wrong with Dark Athena? My performance is shit. X4 955 @3.6 and 5770 Crossfire. Constantly dipping below 60 FPS. Any tips would be appreciated.

Shaneus

mm04 said:
Am I doing something wrong with Dark Athena? My performance is shit. X4 955 @3.6 and 5770 Crossfire. Constantly dipping below 60 FPS. Any tips would be appreciated.
If there's one thing I've learned about Crossfire since having it, is that it's usually the root of any problems you may have :lol

Try disabling it, see how you go.

mm04

Shaneus said:
If there's one thing I've learned about Crossfire since having it, is that it's usually the root of any problems you may have :lol

Try disabling it, see how you go.

Yeah, that's one of the first things I tried. Didn't do a thing for performance at all. Maybe that's the best my PC can do with this game. Oh well.

dream

mm04 said:
Yeah, that's one of the first things I tried. Didn't do a thing for performance at all. Maybe that's the best my PC can do with this game. Oh well.

Not a chance...it's a pretty old engine even with the visual overhaul. I've been replaying it on a decrepit 8800GT at 1080p and it runs like butter. Maybe it's a driver thing?

From a design standpoint I think Escape from Butcher's Bay has held up really well. Very few first person games have tackled melee combat and done it so well. I think part of what sells the experience so well is the body awareness. You're not just some static camera with an arm holding a gun, you can see Riddick's body and the camera is always subtly shifting and swaying with Riddick's various movements. The minimalist HUD, and how the philosophy behind it trickles down to other aspects of the game (like the tutorial), is absolutely brilliant. The update the environments received really helped, the only place where the game shows its age is the character models.

Also I've been seeing this visual error occasionally, the outline of a quad appears on characters foreheads every now and then. I think it's a glitch with the screen space ambient occlusion which I have cranked to high.

In short, five dollars well spent.

Sinatar

mm04 said:

If I remember correctly it's the SSAO, their implementation of it is messed, shut it off and your framerate will skyrocket.

EDIT: Just booted the game up and double checked my settings and yea, with SSAO off I'm getting locked 60 FPS with everything else jacked and 8x MSAA to boot.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
dream said:
Not a chance...it's a pretty old engine even with the visual overhaul. I've been replaying it on a decrepit 8800GT at 1080p and it runs like butter. Maybe it's a driver thing?
What does "runs like butter" mean in terms of average framerate?

Decado said:
How the hell do I download games I bought through steam?

I see them listed in my account, but they're just text and I cannot click them. If I go into my account through the program that you download (and yes it is the same account username), nothing shows up.

What an incredibly frustrating system :\
Library > Game
Click the game and right panel will say install. Or right click on the name and click install game.

Decado

DMPrince said:
Library > Game
Click the game and right panel will say install. Or right click on the name and click install game.
I had to logout and log back in for the games to show for some reason. thanks

I know it's an old game, but it should be a crime to sell a Civ game for 5 dollars without some kind of warning label that you'll lose about 12 hours of your life in one sitting, and think that only 2 hours had passed.

Because I got Civ III complete on Steam yesterday :(

I have a project to finish tommorow, I am very scared of what may happen (or rather, not happen).

I kind of regret not getting Civ IV at 5 dollars back at the holiday sale, though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I just purchased flight control HD. Oh man, I need more awesome games like this one! Any ideas?

I'm talking games that have no cutscenes or bullshit, can be playing within 5 seconds and the rules are simple, clear and fun as hell. Meatboy qualifies in this category and I already purchased it.

BioHazard

catfish said:
I just purchased flight control HD. Oh man, I need more awesome games like this one! Any ideas?

I'm talking games that have no cutscenes or bullshit, can be playing within 5 seconds and the rules are simple, clear and fun as hell. Meatboy qualifies in this category and I already purchased it.
Shatter!

IceMarker

catfish said:

Chime and RUSH!

Blizzard

Banned
I'd say with some (most?) games, you'd be hard pressed to get to the main menu in 5 seconds from Steam, let alone ingame. However, here are some "quick-to-play" games that I can think of from my games list, that have not already been mentioned:

* Plants vs. Zombies (get some more coins, play various modes, or whatever?)
* Peggle Deluxe (easy to get into, and you don't have to think too much)
* Toki Tori (pick up, play a relatively quick puzzle level, put down)
* TrackMania United (pick up, play another race or two to unlock more challenges or whatever)

While not quite as quick/simple as the above games, here are two more. These also require a decent graphics card, and Vista/Windows 7 in the case of Just Cause 2:
* Just Cause 2 (pick up, blow up a few more objectives, leave...low loading times)
* Mirror's Edge (can be stressful if you try for 3-star time trials, but fun to replay levels on easy/normal)

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas in addition to the ones people said already! Shatter is a good one.

Joe Molotov

catfish said:

Bejeweled 3

catfish said:

I've currently been playing Fortix, and I'd say it qualifies as this.

cooljeanius said:
I've currently been playing Fortix, and I'd say it qualifies as this.
Joe Molotov said:
Faerie Solitaire, but then I play a lot of solitaire, so YMMV.

Nice, way to validate one of the packs I purchased during the holiday sale but haven't tried any games from yet.

catfish said:

Altitude, if you want an online game. Great fun.

catfish said:

Steam is an absolute goldmine for pick up and play games suited to short bursts. All the ones already mentioned are great choices. I'd add:

- Puzzle Dimension
- Galcon Fusion
- Defense Grid
- Cogs
- Lumines
- Tidalis

So is the the re-make of Escape from Butcher Bay better than the original? I remember quite a few fellow PC-GAFfers complaining a while back that the original had better graphics, and even posting steps to disable some filters. Is this the case or is my memory playing games with me?

Sinatar

The Big Rig said:
Wow, Riddick is looking pretty rough in the beginning. It looks interesting though.

Make sure you scroll down in the video options, it's not apparent that you can do so.

WEGGLES

LovingSteam said:
Most recent additions to registry:

Dead Space 2
Total War Shogun 2
Mega Drive IV (Toe Jam and Earl, Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic 2)
Bulletstorm
Sims 3 (Ep 1, 2, 3)
What's this about a registry? What does it mean, and where do you find it?

IceMarker

WEGGLES said:
What's this about a registry? What does it mean, and where do you find it?
Only open to a select few Steam users apparently such as LovingSteam (irony).

It has a list of every game that Valve plans on, or I guess, wishes to sell. Valve usually adds a game to their registry before putting it on the store for sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MrMister said:

It has a list of every game that Valve plans on, or I guess, wishes to sell. Valve usually adds a game to their registry before putting it on the store for sale.
Uh I don't think they put games up in the registry that they are wishing to sell. Otherwise LS would have notified us of System Shock 1/2 being "wished" into the registry.

WEGGLES

MrMister said:

How does one get access?

And is there a complete list out there to us lowly people :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom