• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheExodu5 said:
If the multiplayer community is dead by the time I get the game, then it wasn't worth playing in the first place.
That's just an ignorant statement. It's cleverly worded but not at all accurate. Tons of fantastic games have great multi-player components that die down a few months after launch due to external factors not in their control.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ickman3400 said:
Then go buy from them and leave people like me alone. I buy from steam or retail games that can be put on steam, no exceptions.

No one's forcing you to do anything, you're free to be as close minded as you want to be.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't own ether of those.

Dejobaan seems to be rather poor on patch sizes, their stuff tends to be large.

Nekrono

Heavy said:
That's just an ignorant statement. It's cleverly worded but not at all accurate. Tons of fantastic games have great multi-player components that die down a few months after launch due to external factors not in their control.

Which is why devs either shouldn't have added a multi-player feature or should have done it better so it doesn't just 'die' like that.

Plenty of other games have done this exceptionally, not every game needs a multi-player feature devs. If you do it then do it right, and the best way to start is aiming for longevity.

dream

Defense Grid is 150MB.

The major changes include:
Something has fixed much of the file corruption...
D and G glyphs were swapped. Fixed now. Oops.
Subtitles should display properly now.
#potatofoolsday

Thanks for that.

edit: these updates all have cryptic shit in the patch notes. eg, Super Meat Boy

7fa6ce99d281 > 68657873697676697982657765

Killing Floor:

Silly specimens, I don't know why I am updating this, you won't figure it out anyway. You still haven't solved the last puzzle.

Wasn't there a Portal 2 arg going on?

Nekrono said:
Which is why devs either shouldn't have added a multi-player feature or should have done it better so it doesn't just 'die' like that.

Plenty of other games have done this exceptionally, not every game needs a multi-player feature devs. If you do it then do it right, and the best way to start is aiming for longevity.
What don't you understand about "external factors out of their control"? Many of these MP modes ARE built for that longevity you speak of but still die due to various external factors. I really dislike debating with you in every other thread. I'm going to put you on ignore for the sake of my own sanity.

Snuggler said:
No one's forcing you to do anything, you're free to be as close minded as you want to be.

Thank you. I remember a time when it was ok to just buy the game, just as long as it wasn't being pirated. Guess that's not good enough anymore.

Zzoram

Archie said:
I bought The Witcher 2 off Direct2Drive because it was only $36. I prefer Steam, but I'm not adverse to buying from other DD retailers.

I'll probably still buy it on Steam for $45 since I don't want to give money to Fox News.

Nekrono

Heavy said:
What don't you understand about "external factors out of their control"? Many of these MP modes ARE built for that longevity you speak of but still die due to various external factors. I really dislike debating with you in every other thread. I'm going to put you on ignore for the sake of my own sanity.
Lol, dude most people disagree with you on so many things ever cared to wonder why? Most of your statements are pretty dumb and lack foundations.

Just out of curiosity, can you mention what are these factors you speak of? Because it really doesn't make sense.

If the MP is really good people will play it, and they will play it for a LONG time, it won't just 'die'.

EDIT: Good MP's that die fast are soo few that makes your statement totally not true.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
bestami said:
I don't since they were region locked up until a couple of months ago. Can i register them on steam ?

No, I don't think so. I have only used D2D once, no major problems, but you're probably better off waiting for an inevitable sale on Steam.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've got 114 out of 119 games installed, most of them to my external. The not installed ones are things like not needing Mount and Blade when I have Warband and not needing CivIV Warlords when I have BTS

bestami

Snuggler said:
No, I don't think so. I have only used D2D once, no major problems, but you're probably better off waiting for an inevitable sale on Steam.
Yeah i'm gonna do that. I need a rockstar sale. Don't have any of em on steam (except bully).

TheExodu5

Banned
Heavy said:
I can't really think of any. Even small time games with fantastic multiplayer like Mount & Blade Warband are still thriving today.

TheExodu5 said:
I can't really think of any. Even small time games with fantastic multiplayer like Mount & Blade Warband are still thriving today.
Red Faction: Guerrilla, which btw is free on Steam when you pre-order RF Armageddon :D

I have a problem, Steam says I have no connection even though I do. I have tried restarting and it is still like this, what should I do? I can't play any multiplayer game like this. =/

1-D_FTW

I don't have a connection either. I thought it was because Steam was running like dog doo unpatching all the Potato pack games I have.

Mine just dropped out too, at least partially. Can't access the community or news pages...

Edit: Yup no connection... hope this means a TF2 update? :O

Jzero

opticalmace said:
Mine just dropped out too, at least partially. Can't access the community or news pages...

Edit: Yup no connection... hope this means a TF2 update? :O
same here, wtf

Edit: never mind it's back

By the way, I don't know if you guys know, but that potato update had a bunch of ARG/promotion stuff encoded. And it's looking like it might be Episode 3.

Just sayin. Maybe all of you read it already.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Does anyone want some but not all the games of the Potato Sack? I need 4 games that are part of it, and sort of want to get the two TF2 items that go with it along with the games.

Games in Potato Sack:
1, 2, 3 Kick It
AaAaA
Amnesia
AudioSurf
Bit.Trip Beat
Cogs
Defense Grid
Killing Floor
Rush
Super Meat Boy
The Ball
The Wonderful end of the World
Toki Tori

Games I need from it:
1, 2, 3 Kick It
Amnesia
The Ball
The Wonderful end of the World

Drkirby said:
Does anyone want some but not all the games of the Potato Sack? I need 4 games that are part of it, and sort of want to get the two TF2 items that go with it along with the games.
You don't need to buy the pack, just have all the thirteen games. So you can buy the four you need seperately:

Plus, if you own all 13 of the games in this pack (or purchase this pack), get a special Team Fortress 2 potato hat.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ClosingADoor said:
You don't need to buy the pack, just have all the thirteen games. So you can buy the four you need seperately:
The pack is $40. The 4 games I need, at 50% off, are $30.

Forkball

So I bought Audiosurf, but it crashes after each song finishes. It gives me a Questviewer.exe error has stopped working. Strangely, I still get achievements. Any tips?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Forkball said:
So I bought Audiosurf, but it crashes after each song finishes. It gives me a Questviewer.exe error has stopped working. Strangely, I still get achievements. Any tips?
The Questviewer engine is a really buggy piece of shit in Audiosurf. I really hopes he builds Audiosurf 2 on another engine. Also, I would blow Dylan if it guarantees us AS2.

Shurs

charlequin said:
I'd give it more than that; you're going to use up like 20GB just on Windows and other stuff, even if you're really only using the partition to play games. I'd give it 200GB if you can afford it and you want to be keeping a large selection of games installed at any given time. My Steam folder is 75GB (with another 10 gigs in my GOG folder) and that's without anything particularly huge or any modern "AAA" games (besides L4D2) installed.

EDIT: also, ONE OF US ONE OF US

I've decided to dedicate 200GB of my HDD to the Windows (Steam) partition. That should be enough to maintain a good rotation of games.

Salsa

Having a hard time debating if i should get the two potato games im missing :/ (beautiful end of the world and 1 2 3 kick it).

They dont interest me that much, but the low price and tf2 hat+pin is tempting.

I just feel i wont play them for now, and i dont wanna be a digital items whore. Gotta save those 10 bucks for easter.

lordy88

Hey, so I finally got The Witcher: Director's Cut yesterday from the D2D $5 sale, but after downloading it and trying to install it, all I get are errors that I am running Windows 7 x64, and the game is not compatible. After scouring many forums, this seems to be an odd case without a current solution, as many have run the game with Windows 7 x64. Can anyone help me out here?

Grizza

lordy88 said:
Hey, so I finally got The Witcher: Director's Cut yesterday from the D2D $5 sale, but after downloading it and trying to install it, all I get are errors that I am running Windows 7 x64, and the game is not compatible. After scouring many forums, this seems to be an odd case without a current solution, as many have run the game with Windows 7 x64. Can anyone help me out here?

I had the same problem. I had to use the Gamespy Comrade game manager to get it installed properly. I was initially pissed, but GC isn't nearly as intrusive as I thought it would be. When you are done installing it, it even gives you the choice of not having it open on startup. If I remember correctly, even Steam doesn't do that. Not that it's hard to edit your startup programs, but it's a nice courtesy (or admission that customers don't like invasive programs) from FOX/IGN.

epmode

Grizza said:
When you are done installing it, it even gives you the choice of not having it open on startup. If I remember correctly, even Steam doesn't do that.
You can definitely use the regular Steam options so that it won't open on startup. I just leave it running at all times though. With all that cheap RAM, there's no reason not to.

Grizza

epmode said:
You can definitely use the regular Steam options so that it won't open on startup. I just leave it running at all times though. With all that cheap RAM, there's no reason not to.

I meant that it just wouldn't default to it opening on every startup. It seemed like every other program I used to install would do that shit.

ArjanN

afternoon delight said:
By the way, I don't know if you guys know, but that potato update had a bunch of ARG/promotion stuff encoded. And it's looking like it might be Episode 3.

Just sayin. Maybe all of you read it already.

I haven't seen anything pointing to HL episode 3, it all seems Portal 2 related so far. I mean I'd like it to be something HL related, but so far that seems like wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom