• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
amrod said:
Pre-Purchase Dungeon Siege III

Pre-Purchase Offer
Purchase Dungeon Siege III before release and receive single player versions of Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Siege II to play now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39160/?snr=1_4_4__105_1

Bought but dont see option to d/l DS 1 & 2 yet...

Nice! How is Dungeon Siege II, anyway? I remember enjoying the first game, except for the fact that it kind of played itself.

And, what do they mean by "Single Player Versions"? Were there non-multiplayer versions of the games? I seem to remember playing the first one on a LAN.

I feel like this should be bolded: The Steam pre-order bonus of Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 are single player only. As in it looks like they stripped out the cooperative multiplayer rather than spend any time, money or energy on making those old games multiplayer work. It would be nice to have some confirmation if this is indeed true, but I'm not biting the bullet and pre-ordering Dungeon Siege 3.

Dungeon Siege 3 has cooperative multiplayer, but the single player and coop characters are separate. No carrying experience from single player to multiplayer or vice versa.

I was excited when it was originally announced that pre-ordering came with the first two. But no multiplayer? I guess I'll wait for GOG to get the first two and buy the third when it's on sale.

IrishNinja

SalsaShark said:
Having a hard time debating if i should get the two potato games im missing :/ (beautiful end of the world and 1 2 3 kick it).

i grabbed wonderful end of the world last christmas when stuff like that was half off, and...im a huge katamari fan, but i still havent completed it. it's got a few hours of entertainment in it, but id not pay more than a few bucks. it really feels like a low-rent fan game of katamari (small maps, etc).

IrishNinja said:
i grabbed wonderful end of the world last christmas when stuff like that was half off, and...im a huge katamari fan, but i still havent completed it. it's got a few hours of entertainment in it, but id not pay more than a few bucks. it really feels like a low-rent fan game of katamari (small maps, etc).

Yeah, it's actually pretty shitty.

I just read this on the Steam forums in regards to Dungeon Siege 1 and 2:

The original games multiplayer, including matchmaking, were based on Microsoft's original "MS Gaming Zone" architecture, so it's possible Valve or Square Enix can't provide working multiplayer even if they wanted to.

I actually forgot all about that aspect of them. So if a service like GOG were to ever get them, does that mean they'd also be single-player only?

stuminus3

LastWindow said:
I actually forgot all about that aspect of them. So if a service like GOG were to ever get them, does that mean they'd also be single-player only?
Probably. I still have the original MS-published version of DS1 around somewhere and I'm almost certain you can't play multiplayer on the real thing anymore either.

Hawk SE

Anomaly: Warzone Earth

platform_steamplay.png

ss_922f717e3f798561b1eb2f66b64cca0de25c29a3.600x338.jpg

Reverse tower defense! Looks awesome as shit!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
There's a GB Quicklook on that title; I don't know, it's a little slow in my opinion, at least in the first levels that were showcased there.

wolfmat said:
There's a GB Quicklook on that title; I don't know, it's a little slow in my opinion, at least in the first levels that were showcased there.

Pacing is a complaint in the RPS article...

While overall the game escalates pleasingly, the pacing of Anomaly occasionally gets me down, because it’s constant, and slowish. Not slow like a snail, but more like a conversation where you want the person to skip to the end. Sometimes you have to circle a block, perhaps, if you destruction has been inefficient, and that feels like a bit of my life getting away. In fact the constant pace of the game felt a little, I don’t know, constrained, maybe? Like when you are stuck behind a driver who is crawling along but you should be doing twice that speed? When the game is hectic and you are rushing about with the commander then it’s great, and truly engaging, but that only happens occasionally, and there are big lulls.

I'm going to download the demo, give it a shot.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jaundicejuice said:
Red Faction Guerrilla is all kinds of awesome. This trend of offering you an entire game as a pre-order bonus can be pretty damned sweet.
The only bummer is that when it's a sequel like this I usually own the games prior to it. Thankfully, most companies seem to be allowing extra copies to be gifted.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just noticed that Metal Drift is on sale. Going by the demo it seemed like a really solid vehicular combat based sports game. Doesn't get a lot of attention around here though.

Can anyone download the demo for Anomaly? Every time I click on the button it simply does nothing, the install process doesn't kick in.

Shaneus said:
Was that for Armageddon? I hope they do the same for Trackmania.

You are correct sir. Red Faction: Guerrilla is indeed a pre-order bonus for Red Faction: Armageddon and it was the tipping point for me after watching some walkthroughs of Armageddon on gametrailers.

Anybody take one for the team and get Dino D-day? The impressions on SUF are pretty good: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1091

Random gameplay vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzxycAqh6nI

It's 20 bucks. I would've bought at 10

kswiston said:
Any tower defense games on steam worth buying besides Defense Grid (which I own and love)? Sort of feel like playing one.
Here's a unique one coming out in 6 days: http://store.steampowered.com/app/91600/

No idea if it'll be good

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That actually looks pretty badass. I know it's not that much, but it's still kinda steep for an impulse buy. If it drops before the community is gone I'll definitely give it a shot.

Snuggler said:
That actually looks pretty badass. I know it's not that much, but it's still kinda steep for an impulse buy. If it drops before the community is gone I'll definitely give it a shot.
Yeah it looks like a lot of fun. I might have even bit @ 15... 20 just seems too much.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Revenge of the Titans is awesome. Need to play that more, actually.

Also, Sanctum looks really cool. $20 for a two-pack ... hmm.

I was actually about to ask you guys' opinions on sanctum. The idea intrigues me but in the trailer it looked a little sloppy, not sure if I'm going to pick it up on release.

Weenerz

Banned
Sanctum is pretty fun, bought it a few weeks ago, if you buy it now, you still get to play the beta. I think you still can.

Weenerz

Banned
Heavy said:
You still play it at all after a few weeks or have you got bored of it?

I have 297 steam games, I get bored of them all. My game is collecting games.

But in all seriousness, I just didn't have time to finish it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hey, I have two copies of Portal 1 to the people that want them. First come, first served.

Enk

makes good threads.
Aliens vs Predator multi has been pretty fun so far. Another gaffer tehWillis and I have been having some damn good fun with some of the multiplayer. We usually end the rounds with an epic finale of a classic Marine vs Alien match to see who can get the first to 10 kills. tehWillis recorded the one we did last night from the marine's perspective and it came out looking quite good. tehWillis didn't start the recording until a little after the game started so the first few kills are missed. Anyways, hope you all enjoy.

Alien(Enk) vs Marine(Cetra/tehWillis) First to 10 in 1080p:
Part 1
Part 2

Right now we've only done two of these epic finales and we're tied 1 -1 at the moment. We're planning a tie breaker match for next week so we may end up recording that too.

Hawk SE

jaundicejuice said:
Can anyone download the demo for Anomaly? Every time I click on the button it simply does nothing, the install process doesn't kick in.

Mrbob said:
I don't think the demo is uploaded. I'm trying to grab it as well and get nothing.

SapientWolf said:
Welcome to the club. I guess it's not up yet.

Well I took a chance when I got home and bought it, I'm really liking it. Being on the other side is really awesome. "Tower Offense" if you will. The story is engaging for what it is, and the way new game elements are unveiled is at a nice pace. Good leaderboard tracking and achievement system.

I don't think you need the demo, just get the full game and enjoy

My PC died. Had to reinstall Windows. Good news is that it now pushed me to dust off Windows 7 so now I'm XP-free! :D

Another good news: Steam is so awesome!

Bad news: FUCK UBISOFT! Downloaded Splinter Cell: Conviction using their shitty website and now it says I could only download it for 30 days and I need a "2 year protection" or some bullshit. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!

dLMN8R

shagg_187 said:
My PC died. Had to reinstall Windows. Good news is that it now pushed me to dust off Windows 7 so now I'm XP-free! :D

Bad news: FUCK UBISOFT! Downloaded Splinter Cell: Conviction using their shitty website and now it says I could only download it for 30 days and I need a "2 year protection" or some bullshit. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!
Just a guess: Did you get it for free during the glitch they had last year?

dLMN8R said:
Just a guess: Did you get it for free during the glitch they had last year?

I got it for super-free cause someone gifted it to me. :p

But hey, I did support Ubisoft by buying it for 360... -_-

Edit: Yay! Just found out I had backup of some of my stuff dated September 2020. Atlasest 95% of my music collection is back :D

EDIT: OMG I CAN FINALLY PLAY JUST CAUSE 2! DX11 up in this bitch!!

Nabs

shagg_187 said:

save the install file/torrent that they give you. you may be able to use that in the future.

Nabs said:
save the install file/torrent that they give you. you may be able to use that in the future.

Yeah, I wish I did... Oh well! Not as bad as when my Kane and Lynch CD cracked and when I decided to use Microsoft's Games for Windows client, it wouldn't let me download the game using CD Key. Go figure this shit out! :/

That said, One thing Microsoft did well is Zune: Recovering all the songs from it now like a boss! :D

Nevertheless, I'm glad this happened. Now I'll download one game at a time and kill the Steam backloggatory curse!! :mad:

MNC

Heavy said:
Anybody take one for the team and get Dino D-day? The impressions on SUF are pretty good: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1091

Random gameplay vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzxycAqh6nI

It's 20 bucks. I would've bought at 10

Here's a unique one coming out in 6 days: http://store.steampowered.com/app/91600/

No idea if it'll be good
It looks cool and the premises is great but I would've rather had it to be polished and more of a survival dinosaur game where they are actually menacing and you all fight a huge t rex or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom