• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
MNC said:
It looks cool and the premises is great but I would've rather had it to be polished and more of a survival dinosaur game where they are actually menacing and you all fight a huge t rex or something.

Primal Carnage is probably more your thing. Will be class based on either side; with each class having a soft counter, as well as being a soft-counter to another. It's not out yet but it was put on my radar through GAF.

Here are a couple of vids:

Raptors and the Assault class

Testing out the T-Rex

Binabik15

Cool, Blood Bowl Legendary Edition is this weekends Steam sale. I got it earlier this week...AND I bought the mess of a game that the PSP version is back at launch (which corrupted 3 saves last week and thus killed my super awesome lizardman team). I´m so happy right now :/

Still, everyone get this, it´s really fun and almost as good as laughing someone in the face after a fumbled pass. Which you can do with hot seat mode, just not with cool minis.

vocab

Stallion Free said:
Does Blood Bowl support the 360 pad (button prompts, rumble)?

Doubt it. The game is all clicks for the most part.

xyla said:
Blood Bowl is turn based, right? Does it have a hot seat mode?

Yes, and I'm not sure, but I think it does have hotseat. It includes a non turn based mode, but it's garbage.

I'm on the fence for legendary edition. I have the original Dark Elves edition, and can't justify the upgrade. I like the game, but it's really hard to get into, and it's hard to play. The games selling point is the online play (has a big community), and the leagues for the most part. The game is pretty hardcore. The single player is much better in the legendary edition because you are playing against more teams (with more stadiums) so you can totally get a decent experience from the SP. There's no real story attached, it's more like "build your team over time", and win every Cup. The game is pretty funny in terms of RNG fuck ups.

vocab said:
I'm on the fence for legendary edition. I have the original Dark Elves edition, and can't justify the upgrade. I like the game, but it's really hard to get into, and it's hard to play. The games selling point is the online play (has a big community), and the leagues for the most part. The game is pretty hardcore. The single player is much better in the legendary edition because you are playing against more teams (with more stadiums) so you can totally get a decent experience from the SP. There's no real story attached, it's more like "build your team over time", and win every Cup. The game is pretty funny in terms of RNG fuck ups.

Do you know if it's a lot like the Tabletop game? I played that a bunch back in the day.

vocab

PedroLumpy said:
Do you know if it's a lot like the Tabletop game? I played that a bunch back in the day.

It is. This is a PC port of the table top game. Obviously it will be slightly different, but it's close as it is gonna get. I feel bad for anyone who bought this game thinking it was an arcade football game or madden with Elves. Watch a match on youtube to see if it's for you. It's really interesting, but it's tough to play if you know nothing about the rules.

Like I said, it's a fun game, but it's not a game for the instant gratification crowd.

e_i

Stallion Free said:
You can't buy the games alone, they only come with DS3.

For those who have DS1/2, how do they hold up?

Ah, I see. I just saw the prices in the drop down menu and didn't go to the pages.

Detox

I have no Portal :(

epmode said:
Everyone's first Steam purchase should be The Orange Box. It's cheap and Portal's included.

I've played the Orange Box to death on my brothers PC so I'm just waiting for a crazy sale on it although I do have TF2 on my steam account.

Detox

Tim-E said:
PM me your Steam ID and it's yours!

PM sent. Thank you so much. I may preorder Portal 2 if my money comes in on time in which case I can send you the extra Portal if you wish.

I'll be picking up all 3 Dungeon Siege games on Steam eventually, but definitely waiting on sales for now. Including the first two games with the DS3 pre-order is a good idea but I don't think I'm willing to drop $50 on the package. If it was $40, I'd probably be more tempted.

The other major problem with the Steam versions of DS1 and DS2 is that they apparently DO NOT include the expansion packs for each. At least according to the Steam forums. I don't care about multiplayer but no expansions is a major bummer.

Nitemare1

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I'll be picking up all 3 Dungeon Siege games on Steam eventually, but definitely waiting on sales for now. Including the first two games with the DS3 pre-order is a good idea but I don't think I'm willing to drop $50 on the package. If it was $40, I'd probably be more tempted.

The other major problem with the Steam versions of DS1 and DS2 is that they apparently DO NOT include the expansion packs for each. At least according to the Steam forums. I don't care about multiplayer but no expansions is a major bummer.

I was just about to pull the trigger on that deal. I didn't know the expansions were not included. .hmmmm

Weenerz

Banned
Heavy said:
Dino D-day is #6 on the top sellers list. It looks like word of mouth is spreading because it wasn't on the list at all yesterday.

Glad to hear it. Makes me happy to see indie devs finding success in the PC gaming platform.

MRORANGE

Any word on when the Magicka Vietnam DLC is coming out? it should be next week but there seems's to be no pre-purchase on steam :(

graywolf323

Nitemare1 said:
I was just about to pull the trigger on that deal. I didn't know the expansions were not included. .hmmmm

I don't think you can get either game anywhere else digitally anyways so it's not like you can get the expansions somewhere

not at least until maybe GOG eventually gets the rights

Tim-E

Detox said:
PM sent. Thank you so much. I may preorder Portal 2 if my money comes in on time in which case I can send you the extra Portal if you wish.

I already have it :) Thanks, though!

Hey, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to buy games when they aren't on sale? Or will I regret it? I was thinking about grabbing the orange box but I don't know how often these specials happen so I don't know if I should wait it out or get it now.

Thanks

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
CoffeeJanitor said:
Hey, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to buy games when they aren't on sale? Or will I regret it? I was thinking about grabbing the orange box but I don't know how often these specials happen so I don't know if I should wait it out or get it now.

Thanks
Just buy games when you want to play them, otherwise you'll just turn into a collector.

pix

CoffeeJanitor said:

Thanks

You might see Orange Box on sale one day again, but you won't be disappointed buying it at the normal price. Such an amazing package of games. Incredible value for the money.

Oreoleo

CoffeeJanitor said:

Thanks

Valve has kind of conditioned everyone to wait for a sale on just about anything.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why can't they just sell me Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 separately :/

Also, I have something that some people may like, 3 extra copies of TF2, courtesy of tiger direct having an easily exploitable $10 off coupon.

Anyone want the game, and is actually going to play it?

Edit: Ok, all gone.

Zimbardo

yeah, just buy games when you want them. it sucks waiting, and you don't know how long you'll end up waiting.

there's still people waiting for Vampire Bloodlines to go on sale before they buy it ...and they've been waiting about 2 or so years since the last time its been on sale.

it gets kind of ridiculous.

Alright I'll just grab it now then. I haven't played any of the games though I've heard they're all very good. Also, I'm not really a big fan of dudebro FPSs but HL2 is quite different from that, correct?

Zimbardo

i just started playing Half Life 2 for the first time a few days ago (after owning the Orange Box since the day it was released - only played TF2 and Portal up till now) and i'm really impressed. i've always heard it was good, but yeah, it really is friggin good! hehe.

there's no dudebro stuff in it.

CoffeeJanitor, it will all balance out in the end. If you buy something full-price now and it goes on sale fairly soon down the road, don't sweat it because you will buy so many games during Steam sales at ludicrous prices and have a retarded digital backlog in a few months time.

The Orange Box is pretty fucking awesome and well worth whatever they're asking for it.

Hawk xSx said:
Well I took a chance when I got home and bought it, I'm really liking it. Being on the other side is really awesome. "Tower Offense" if you will. The story is engaging for what it is, and the way new game elements are unveiled is at a nice pace. Good leaderboard tracking and achievement system.

I don't think you need the demo, just get the full game and enjoy

I might grab Anomaly once I beat a few other games. I'm juggling Bulletstorm, Fallout: New Vegas and Red Faction Guerrilla at the moment.

Joe Molotov

SapientWolf said:
Just buy games when you want to play them, otherwise you'll just turn into a collector.

Buy the games you want to play now, then wait for sales on the games you don't. Best of both worlds.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Has anyone been able to run their Steam version of KOTOR in windowed mode? I'm hoping I can just type something into the Launch Options. I'd like to play it again soon but full screen/old fashion resolution makes it impossible for me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Snuggler said:
Has anyone been able to run their Steam version of KOTOR in windowed mode? I'm hoping I can just type something into the Launch Options. I'd like to play it again soon but full screen/old fashion resolution makes it impossible for me.
Ok, figured it out. Goto the games folder (swkotor), open up swkotor.ini, go down to graphics options, set FullScreen to 0, and add "AllowWindowedMode=1" above the full screen line.

Edit: What the fuck, I left the game at the menu screen and come to hear my CPU fan kicking in, the game on idle, in the main menu, is actively using 40% of my CPUs power, nearly maxing out the 3rd and 4th core. What kind of crap is this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom