• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The $60 price tag chaps my hide mostly because we're getting it via DD. This delivery method is supposed to save the developer/publisher significant amounts of money but clearly none of these savings are passed onto the consumer in some cases. Basically the 10 dollar HD "tax" should already be accounted for with digital delivery savings.

Most quality games on PC like Shogun 2, the Witcher 2, and Portal 2 (granted Valve games have an advantage here) are released at the traditional 49.99 point so I'm not hurting for suitors or anything.

Part of me also thinks that the 60 dollar pricing scheme on Steam is just part of some larger plan of price uniformity by publishers. Activision probably likes to keep their prices the same across all platforms. Also judging by the Steam "top sellers" category, the 60 dollar games do sell regardless of whether or not I purchase them. Regardless, I'm sure that publishers will still appreciate my money later on down the line when I buy their games for 30 bucks instead of 60 :p

NeoandGeo

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Yep. Mine is out of activations.

My Warhead is out of activations. The rep I was talking to said they cleared the slate on them, and I would just have to uninstall/reinstall. Tried it, and still get the message of a network license limit. :|

eznark

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Yep. Mine is out of activations.

Can't you call EA and get it taken care of? I had to do that with some EA game, cannot for the life of me remember which, and they were fine with it.

desu

Spyn Doctor said:
Indeed, it's not on the marketplace yet, so you can't preorder it now. I don't know if this is normal for smaller/indie games, or if it may appear before the release day (and you can preorder then). It's my first game on Steam, so regarding all this stuff I'm quite the noob! :)

To make up for it: There will be a free DLC package in form of a bunch of Easter-themed bonus doodles. This will be a Steam exclusive and only be available for the first week or so. So make sure you get it while it's hot! ;-)

Don't worry. Will get it as soon as it goes up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hold up, someone without and Crysis 1 activations go redownload it and try it. I was out of activations and had to get one more activation from EA, then I did a system overhaul + format and when I redownloaded Crysis 1 it didn't even prompt me for activations. I had just planned on throwing a crack on it, but I was really surprised when I was never prompted to activate or use a CD key or anything.

So yeah, go try it so we can see if it was finally officially removed and that I wasn't imagining things.

Joe Molotov

LovingSteam said:
Would you say the same if they charged $70 or $80?

I can't speak for other people, but I paid $100 for Civ5. Kinda wish I didn't now, but oh well. If I want a game bad enough, like I do with Rage, I'll pay whatever. I would have paid $60 or 70 for Portal 2. I'd probably complain about it, but I'd still buy it. For "common" games though, like Bulletstorm or the yearly iteration of Call of Duty, I'm not going to get in a hurry to shell out $60, but for "special" games, it's worth it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So the revoke tools work on Warhead, but not Crysis? And the Steam version at that?

Why can't they add in 1? I just finished beating it and I like removing titles I beat.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
shintoki said:
So the revoke tools work on Warhead, but not Crysis? And the Steam version at that?

Why can't they add in 1? I just finished beating it and I like removing titles I beat.
They stopped supporting Crysis. Can't even be bothered to fix the game-breaking DX10 bugs on the carrier level.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
wienke said:
The $60 price tag chaps my hide mostly because we're getting it via DD. This delivery method is supposed to save the developer/publisher significant amounts of money but clearly none of these savings are passed onto the consumer in some cases. Basically the 10 dollar HD "tax" should already be accounted for with digital delivery savings.

Most quality games on PC like Shogun 2, the Witcher 2, and Portal 2 (granted Valve games have an advantage here) are released at the traditional 49.99 point so I'm not hurting for suitors or anything.

Part of me also thinks that the 60 dollar pricing scheme on Steam is just part of some larger plan of price uniformity by publishers. Activision probably likes to keep their prices the same across all platforms. Also judging by the Steam "top sellers" category, the 60 dollar games do sell regardless of whether or not I purchase them. Regardless, I'm sure that publishers will still appreciate my money later on down the line when I buy their games for 30 bucks instead of 60 :p
I actually consider DD to be a value add. I am so done with DVDs. I want all my saves in the cloud too.

My negative reaction is due to how presumptuous it is for Rage to launch at $10 higher than titles like Portal 2 or even Brink. It's not entirely rational but the sentiment is still there.

$60 is fair (for some games), IMO. It's what they are charging on consoles and I have no problem paying the same price for a superior experience.
You have grown accustomed to the $60 pricing. If the standard was $70 or $80, you wouldn't be saying anything.
They're not gonna sale as much on PC or make as much money, so I have no problem paying $10 more to ensure we continue to get these games on PC that aren't complete turds.
Yeah, while you're at it, why don't you buy everyone a copy then? :p

Damn, id Software really dropped the ball on this one. Sale or bust.

Gvaz

Banned
I didn't want to pay $38 or $24 individually for the few games I didn't have in the pack and didn't want anyways.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BobsRevenge said:
They stopped supporting Crysis. Can't even be bothered to fix the game-breaking DX10 bugs on the carrier level.
Let me take a guess. When you encounter the walker again... it falls into the ship.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
ClosingADoor said:
Bethesda sets the prices I think, not id. Wonder how much Skyrim will cost :(

Probably 60 but that is probably one of the few times I won't gripe because that's still pennies per hour of entertainment for me (assuming it's still close to the size of Oblivion or Morrowind).

Twig

Banned
Holy shit, Fable 3 on Steam, and only fifty bucks.

That was not something I expected. Microsoft done mostly* good this time. Amazing.

*Dunno what the fuck they're thinking with SecuROM, though... Goddamnit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Twig said:
Holy shit, Fable 3 on Steam, and only fifty bucks.

That was not something I expected. Microsoft done mostly* good this time. Amazing.

*Dunno what the fuck they're thinking with SecuROM, though... Goddamnit.
So it has Steam, SecuROM and GFWL? Is there any more DRM they could toss on there or did they just run out?

Twig

Banned
SapientWolf said:
So it has Steam, SecuROM and GFWL? Is there any more DRM they could toss on there or did they just run out?
I know, right. I can "forgive" GFWL just because it's a Microsoft game. Why in the world do they need SecuROM? Doesn't GFWL already offer installation limits, or something?

Not that I want limits, of course. But I could've sworn. Eh. I wonder if the game will ever go on sale on Steam.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Twig said:
I know, right. I can "forgive" GFWL just because it's a Microsoft game. Why in the world do they need SecuROM? Doesn't GFWL already offer installation limits, or something?

Not that I want limits, of course. But I could've sworn. Eh. I wonder if the game will ever go on sale on Steam.
Plus its not like its an external title that is using GFWL for matchmaking or because of some deal with MS.

Kevin

The crap DRM that Microsoft always forces on PC games will make me wait for a huge sale on the same ($20 or less) but I am glad to see that Microsoft is at least testing the waters in terms of supporting Steam. Hopefully they will put other titles up.

Kevin

Snuggler said:
all of the suffering and misery caused by GFWL will be worth it if we can get Gears of War on STEAM

I doubt you will ever see GoW 2 or 3 on Steam. Epic Games, for the most part, only developes games for the Xbox and iPhone platforms.

Gvaz

Banned
Pookaki said:
Unreal Tournament games say hi.
Yeah a game that was depreciating since the first game and quake 3.

It was more of a "well we have unreal, it'd feel bad to not release a UT though our main proponent is now Gears of War"

stuminus3

LastWindow said:
Runaway: A Twist of Fate and The Next BIG Thing are both up for download now, for anyone who cares.
I care! But I'm gonna wait for a bit, I still haven't even launched Runaway 2 on Steam.

Gvaz said:
Yeah a game that was depreciating since the first game and quake 3.

It was more of a "well we have unreal, it'd feel bad to not release a UT though our main proponent is now Gears of War"
OK then, Bulletstorm. Just came out a couple of months ago. On PC!

Speaking of Runaway 2, I have a free copy for anyone who wants it. I totally forgot I bought the package. Just send me a PM with where to send it.

EDIT: It's gone.

stuminus3

Twig said:
Published by Epic. Not developed.
Yeah, but developed by People Can Fly, who are owned by Epic. The same People Can Fly who did the Gears PC port. Which in itself makes this whole discussion kind of like the snake that tried to eat itself.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
They technically own People Can Fly and helped with the project. That's a bit more than publishing.
Oh. Is that a thing that happened? I guess I missed that. Always thought they were independent of Epic.

Ignore me.

stuminus3 said:
Yeah, but developed by People Can Fly, who are owned by Epic. The same People Can Fly who did the Gears PC port. Which in itself makes this whole discussion kind of like the snake that tried to eat itself.
Until they port GoW2/3 (not happening), the fact that a port of the first exists is no longer relevant. They did it once. They didn't keep doing it. They clearly don't give a shit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
Oh. Is that a thing that happened? I guess I missed that. Always thought they were independent of Epic.

Ignore me.

Until they port GoW2/3 (not happening), the fact that a port of the first exists is no longer relevant.
They bought them after Painkiller and it's first expansion had released IIRC. Their first game with Epic was the PC GOW1.

Twig

Banned
I like how people make exceptions for Blizzard just because they're Blizzard. Diablo 3 isn't going to be anymore worth sixty bucks than is Rage.

Stallion Free said:
They bought them after Painkiller and it's first expansion had released IIRC. Their first game with Epic was the PC GOW1.
Understood!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kevin said:
I doubt you will ever see GoW 2 or 3 on Steam. Epic Games, for the most part, only developes games for the Xbox and iPhone platforms.

Yep, it's too bad (for me) but Gears is now as Xbox exclusive as the Halo series. If I ever wanna enjoy those games again I'll have to get my system fixed.

I can still dream, though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Snuggler said:
Yep, it's too bad (for me) but Gears is now as Xbox exclusive as the Halo series. If I ever wanna enjoy those games again I'll have to get my system fixed.

I can still dream, though.
I have a working Xbox and most of the games, I just want to see them with non-shitty image quality.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Twig said:
Until they port GoW2/3 (not happening), the fact that a port of the first exists is no longer relevant. They did it once. They didn't keep doing it. They clearly don't give a shit.
I think they definitely do give a shit. I think MS realized quickly that GoW was another Halo type system seller and offered a lot of money/preferential treatment etc, to keep the sequels exclusive to the 360.

Spyn Doctor

Neo Member
RE this question about Your Doodles Are Bugged!:
The_Technomancer said:
General question: the core game looks like a fun idea, but do you spice it up in later levels so its not always just "draw lines between nearby objects"?
Yeah, "draw lines between objects" (nice summary! ;-) is the core gameplay, but there are some new twists introduced every other level to spice things up a bit. Some of these you can experience in the free demo (see levels "Ink Ltd.", "Lonesome Gnu" and "Divided, Yet Joined"), other are introduced in the later levels for which you need the full version (and I don't want to spoil them here). Then of course there's also what you make out of the game yourself. Do you try to save every bug? (there's an achievement for that, btw), or do you just try to go for the fastest times (an achievement for that too)? etc. etc. But the core gameplay stays the same - draw lines between objects... :)

Doc

Twig

Banned
poppabk said:
I think they definitely do give a shit. I think MS realized quickly that GoW was another Halo type system seller and offered a lot of money/preferential treatment etc, to keep the sequels exclusive to the 360.
Every game that has been developed by the core Epic Games team (i.e., not a developer they just happen to own) since Unreal Tournament 3 has been 360 or iPhone (and iPad?) exclusive.

Bulletstorm is the only recent PC game they've released, and that's People Can Fly. Despite Cliffy B's incessant interference with the development of the game, it's still not Epic Proper.

I don't think they do give a shit.

Also, I want them to make a new Solar Winds. Best Epic game, period. (The sequel sucked, though. So maybe I don't want them to make a new one after all.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom