• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games For Windows Live in my experience...

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Fallout 3: Game of the Year
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Bulletstorm
Bioshock 2

...is really only shit on the first go. The initial experience is worse if you've never owned an Xbox and don't have an Xbox Live log-in. It's then you get to see how much of a priority PC gaming is to Microsoft when you have to go to xbox.com to create a Live account. The first GFWL game will likely be update loop purgatory where you launch the game, have to log-in, have to enter in the CD key a few times, update the GWL client, exit the game, re-launch, download another GFWL update, restart your game, download another GFWL update, restart, etc, etc.

The biggest difference between GFWL and Steam is that Steam is persistent, it updates itself and your games in the background, GFWL is just this thing, this malware that comes attached to certain games, the only time it's running is when you launch a game. If you keep the client up-to-date, it's only "there" in the background while you play.

I haven't encountered anything epically horrible like ghst's problems. The only real issues I've had thus far is having the system auto-log me out for no damned reason a few times while playing Fallout 3. Your save files and progress are tied to your log-in. For example, I've lost some progress in Kane & Lynch: Dead Men due to GFWL's log-in/out eccentricities.

My rambling point being: if you've played some GFWL games before then Fable 3 shouldn't be a total shitshow because of GFWL.

Adding SecuROM on top of GFWL and Steam, that's a bitter pill to swallow. Might go down easier if Microsoft added their back catalogue to Steam and used a free copy of Fable: The Lost Chapters as a pre-order bonus for Fable 3. I haven't played the game on console, but from what everyone's said the core experience of Fable 3 sounds pretty half-baked.

rataplein said:
had anyone tried "Scratches Director's Cut"?

i'll buy it because was made by an argentinian developer...

i hope it's good.
I played it a while ago, it's a pretty good entry in atmospheric-horror point-and-click. It's very understated, more about mood and the creepiness of being alone in a big house than sudden jump scares. The sound and art is terrific.

I bought Scratches today but I have no idea when I'll get around to it. I still have Portal 2 to finish which has been put to the side for Runaway 3 now.

LastWindow said:
I bought Scratches today but I have no idea when I'll get around to it. I still have Portal 2 to finish which has been put to the side for Runaway 3 now.
Are the Runaway games that good? I always thought of them as kind of second-rate adventure games. How are they holding up against Broken Sword 1&2?

jaundicejuice said:
Adding SecuROM on top of GFWL and Steam, that's a bitter pill to swallow. Might go down easier if Microsoft added their back catalogue to Steam and used a free copy of Fable: The Lost Chapters as a pre-order bonus for Fable 3. I haven't played the game on console, but from what everyone's said the core experience of Fable 3 sounds pretty half-baked.

I don't think they are adding securom on top of GFWL, I think they're integrated.

In any case, it's the same thing as Batman: AA, except with more generous activation limits.

Uh...is there an official GAF giveaway thread these days? I have a copy of Mass Effect 2 (from the Dragon Age 2 offer) and a copy of Portal (from the Portal 2 preorder) to giveaway...pretty much open season to whatever gaffer PM's me.

Crazymoogle said:
Uh...is there an official GAF giveaway thread these days? I have a copy of Mass Effect 2 (from the Dragon Age 2 offer) and a copy of Portal (from the Portal 2 preorder) to giveaway...pretty much open season to whatever gaffer PM's me.
PM SENT!!

for Mass Effect 2 Iloveyou.

TheNamelessOne said:
Are the Runaway games that good? I always thought of them as kind of second-rate adventure games. How are they holding up against Broken Sword 1&2?

To me, they have a great cast of characters, interesting stories, and I love the humor. The puzzles don't require a lot of thought and are normally easy. Broken Sword 1 and 2 are much, much better adventure games but I don't consider the Runaway series second-rate. Although, I can see how some people would.

stuminus3

TheNamelessOne said:
They are very good if you have a taste for it. Definitely worth it for the animation. They're cut from the same cloth as Broken Sword (maybe a bit less obtuse than Broken Sword), the difference being that the first game in the Runaway series was released in 2003, long after the "death" of adventure games, it's only second-rate to Broken Sword simply because Broken Sword was released in a time more favorable for adventures.

Again, the animation!

nexen

wienke said:
The $60 price tag chaps my hide mostly because we're getting it via DD. This delivery method is supposed to save the developer/publisher significant amounts of money but clearly none of these savings are passed onto the consumer in some cases. Basically the 10 dollar HD "tax" should already be accounted for with digital delivery savings.
Oh wow, man I just got serious flashbacks from all the bitching the happened when games first started to release on CDs.
"Why haven't the prices come down? They said that the reason the prices are so high is because of piracy but you can't pirate CD-ROMS!"

Kevin

Pookaki said:
Unreal Tournament games say hi.

Yup I'm talking about now adays. It's been a long time since Epic Games has released a PC game and Bulletstorm was developed by who, People Can Fly or whatever.

MRORANGE

mhznet said:
It seems I'm probably the only guy who never had any issues with GFWL.

put me in the same boat, it works like a charm for my games.

unless you live in a country not listed by gfwl, although you could change you login location

shuyin_

Banned
Twig said:
I like how people make exceptions for Blizzard just because they're Blizzard. Diablo 3 isn't going to be anymore worth sixty bucks than is Rage.

Understood!
People will always make exceptions for Blizzard, Valve and Nintendo.
and Team ICO

Mrbob

kswiston said:
I agree with you, but wanted to point out that Blizzard has been pricing its games at a premium for at least a decade now.

They should since Blizzard comes are always packed with value. Blizzard can probably get away with $99.99 per release of a new title*.

*Insert joke here about Starcraft 2 costing more than 150 bucks for the whole package but it will be worth every penny

Shahadan

Useless post incoming.

I'm totally new to steam (installed it a few years ago with TF2 but couldn't buy anything since they didn't support the credit card I have. But they do now !) and holy shit this is the best thing ever.

Totally burnt my money in a few days ;D
;(

Finished Portal 2 in one sitting though.

Useless post : the end.

stuminus3

Shahadan said:
Useless post incoming.

I'm totally new to steam (installed it a few years ago with TF2 but couldn't buy anything since they didn't support the credit card I have. But they do now !) and holy shit this is the best thing ever.

Totally burnt my money in a few days ;D
;(

Finished Portal 2 in one sitting though.

Useless post : the end.
I'm so sorry.

But welcome to the dark side!

Twig said:
I like how people make exceptions for Blizzard just because they're Blizzard. Diablo 3 isn't going to be anymore worth sixty bucks than is Rage.

Understood!

Yea, a game that many will play for 5-10 years isn't any different than Rage which doesn't have anything IMO that stands out from any other game. $60 for SC2 for many goes a whole lot further than spending $60 on Dead Space 2.

Lime

Syphon Filter said:
Thinking about getting Mass effect 1 and 2, do the EA accounts make you jump hoops to play the game or is it fine?

Only with 2. 1 doesn't need an EA account, whereas 2 needs one in order to download and activate DLC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Syphon Filter said:
Thinking about getting Mass effect 1 and 2, do the EA accounts make you jump hoops to play the game or is it fine?

For Mass Effect 1, I believe I just had to type in my EA log in once and I was set.

With Mass Effect 2, I believe it's supposed to be the same but every time I start up it says there was an error connecting and I have to type in my log in info again.

To get any of the DLC, you'll have to redeem it with your CD key at their stupid site. Of course for all of this to work, you'll need an EA/Bioware account in the first place.

It's not quite as bad as it might sound, I've probably spent like 15 minutes total jumping through those hoops, but it does stink of EA's presence.

amazing games totally worth owning, though

-edit- I'm late oops

MNC

Syphon Filter said:
Open EADM, login, select Mass Effect 2, Download game, play from EADM, done. It's nothing bad, but I would prefer having it on steam ofcourse.

MNC said:
Open EADM, login, select Mass Effect 2, Download game, play from EADM, done. It's nothing bad, but I would prefer having it on steam ofcourse.

Yea i am planning to get it on Steam. I just saw on the page that it mentioned EA accounts.

Twig

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Yea, a game that many will play for 5-10 years isn't any different than Rage which doesn't have anything IMO that stands out from any other game. $60 for SC2 for many goes a whole lot further than spending $60 on Dead Space 2.
Oh, look, it's LovingSteam.

How's that new game announcement from Valve treating you?

P.S., You'll notice I didn't mention Starcraft 2. There was a reason for that. Perhaps you should think about it. But I know you won't.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Twig said:

P.S., You'll notice I didn't mention Starcraft 2. There was a reason for that. Perhaps you should think about it. But I know you won't.

Oh, look, it's Twig...

marrec

Banned
Drkirby said:
Odd to see no one really caring about the Humble Frostbite bundle.

I think the oddness of the games included are the reason. It's really only three games. One great, one okay, and one unknown.

Though, they do deserve your support.

mojiimbo

Anyone play through Metro 2033 on a 6870 or even a 6850? I'm new to PC gaming and I just built a new machine(stock 2500k, 4GB of RAM, 6870 1GB) so I was thinking about picking it up tomorrow since Gamersgate will probably sell it for $5 but I've read it's pretty demanding. Any impressions of how it runs on that hardware or any tips for tweaking the settings? I Googled some benchmarks and it seemed like it would be more than playable but I'm not sure how applicable those would be to real world conditions. Thanks.

kamspy

Drkirby said:
Odd to see no one really caring about the Humble Frostbite bundle.

I care! I paid $15 and already owned Trine. I've gotten so many games from the now $55 I've put into Humble Bundles. I'll support one to some extent no matter what's in it.

Here's an idea, buy it and add it to Steam as a non-Steam game! You get virtually all of the same functionality. Minus some basic playtime stat tracking and the ability to recommend the game on the store to your friends.

Twig

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Here's an idea, buy it and add it to Steam as a non-Steam game! You get virtually all of the same functionality. Minus some basic playtime stat tracking and the ability to recommend the game on the store to your friends.
And being able to download it on any computer without having to remember where you left the disc or making sure you don't lose your CD key or or or

I agree with you in principle, but you forgot to mention the best part of Steam!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
jaundicejuice said:
Get everything, minus the things you want from a proper Steam game, like the ability to download as many times you want and "so-easy-I-literally-don't-have-to-worry-about-them" title updates ! Yoohoo!

marrec

Banned
jaundicejuice said:

Twig said:
And being able to download it on any computer without having to remember where you left the disc or making sure you don't lose your CD key or or or

I agree with you in principle, but you forgot to mention the best part of Steam!

This pretty much, I hate having games spread out over all different DD services. GoG and Steam are all I want.

Twig said:

Yea because it destroys your argument you little twit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom