• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Ikuu said:
That's not what's going to make Dota 2 harder to play than LoL, in LoL it's much easier to escape and last hitting is so much easier in LoL to HoN. In HoN it's very easy to die if you do something wrong and LoL is much more forgiving.
Regardless, I wanna know more about Dota 2. ):

Stackboy

Anyone having issues with Steam, after the Portal 2 release? My download got to about 60%, then refused to go any further. Now, steam won't even start. I've turned off all my firewall settings and disabled anti virus.

Twig

Banned
Stackboy said:
Anyone having issues with Steam, after the Portal 2 release? My download got to about 60%, then refused to go any further. Now, steam won't even start. I've turned off all my firewall settings and disabled anti virus.
Works fine for me. Tried reinstalling Steam? (Don't uninstall without backing up important files, like saves and screenshots.)

vocab

Twig said:
Yeah, well, we'll see come this summer how I fare. U:

I'm assuming this is some elitist jab.

"oh me oh my lol is for babbies YOU SHOULD PLAY HON LIKE A MAN"

LISTEN. It's the same type of game. That's all I was getting at. I don't give a shit if it's not hardcore enough or whatever. 'Cause it's fun.

Definitely not an elitist jab. LoL removed a lot of things that made Dota, Dota. I'm just telling you to be ready for a much harder experience.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Do I need to install the TF2 beta while intalling the OB? And how do I gift Portal?

Never mind about the beta. Now I need to see about gifting Portal if possible.

ArjanN

Zzoram said:
SC2 is great because it has that element, but it still demands that you balance an economy and protect workers and capture territory for resources and build production facilities and place them intelligently to manage unit movement in your base. However, due to the worker mechanic, your income is highly reliant on a steadily building number of workers until some ideal number for your particular intention (one base, two base, long map splitting game, etc). But workers rebuild rather slowly, so economic harass can be devastating. Workers are also weak shits that die super easily. So you end up having to closely watch and perfectly control your army and manage positioning for high ground and choke points and surface area and flanking, but simultaneously respond instantly to any threat to your workers, since an even army trade but losing 25 workers is probably a lost game. Often your armies will engage at the same time that some Dark Templar or Banshee or Banelings go for your workers. The intensity of having to control your units so you don't lose your army too one-sidedly, and protecting your workers so that you aren't left incapable of reinforcing your army, at the same time, is just something not offered by less multitask demanding games. Then you consider that often your workers at 2 or 3 bases may be attacked simultaneously AND there is an army coming at you. It's just a level of frantic intensity that you can't replicate in a game that doesn't demand a lot of multitasking.

I can't remember who said it best, but the ultimate resource in Starcraft is attention. How well you split your attention among the various demands, and how good you get at paying attention to multiple things at once, determines how good of a player you become. This dynamic just doesn't exist when you have very few things to pay attention to. You can appreciate good play by experiencing how hard it is to actually multitask. Humans are terrible at multitasking. Yet when you watch great players in action, they will do 3 prong attacks, and great players will amazingly defend 3 prong attacks with nearly instant reaction time. When I play, if a DT slipped into my worker line in a battle, I wouldn't notice. I'd win or lose my battle, go back to my base to make some more stuff, and notice I had no workers or money. A better player starts running his workers before the 1st one gets hit, even in the middle of controlling a battle. I can appreciate how amazing that is because it's so hard for me to think about more than 1 thing at a time, nevermind bounce around controlling different things second to second.

I agree with this, but that's actually what I never really liked about Starcraft 2 or similar RTS multiplayer. Most of your time is spent controlling your economy/protecting workers, etc.. I enjoy more focus on the actual combat, not on winning a huge battle in the middle of the map, only to find out you lost the game because one enemy snuck around your base killing your workers.

Twig

Banned
vocab said:
Definitely not an elitist jab. LoL removed a lot of things that made Dota, Dota. I'm just telling you to be ready for a much harder experience.
Hum. Fair enough. Apologies for the knee-jerk reaction. I've seen a lot of that bullshit around the interwebsss.

I'm still excited. :D

1-D_FTW

Twig said:
I dunno, man, I suck at RTS. That's all gibberish to me. U:

Supreme Commander is pretty cool, though, because you can zoom all the way out, issue easy macro commands to your different formations, zoom back out, and watch shit get blown to pieces.

Does it have the e-sport balance of StarCraft 2? Hell, no. But if you're not someone who enjoys issuing 250 commands a minute, it's arguably more fun.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
ArjanN said:
I agree with this, but that's actually what I never really liked about Starcraft 2 or similar RTS multiplayer. Most of your time is spent controlling your economy/protecting workers, etc.. I enjoy more focus on the actual combat, not on winning a huge battle in the middle of the map, only to find out you lost the game because one enemy snuck around your base killing your workers.
Weak.

And... someone mentioned SupCom... Supreme Commander is the best multiplayer RTS of all time. Like, no other game has the breadth of strategic options. The level of creativity you can employ is, at times, shocking.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I really hope in Dota they don't have the camera as close as it is in HoN, it's way too close and you can hardly see a thing.

vocab

Ikuu said:
I really hope in Dota they don't have the camera as close as it is in HoN, it's way too close and you can hardly see a thing.

Huh? The camera in dota has way less fov than Hon. I agree that we should pull it back as far as we want, but what Hon did was an improvement over the wc3 limitations.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ikuu said:
I am hoping so too (Well, more specifically with LoL as my frame of referance), that is the one and only feature that I want in the game over the base game, the ability to pull the camera back. Being able to not have to rely on a mini map as much would make things so much simipler, it can be so easy to loose sight of your team mates if they move back a bit.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I think Valve's main focus will be to casualize Dota 2 a lot, and make it a community-friendly game.
This goes completely against what they said when the game was first announced. Essentially a carbon copy of DotA, but with a new engine. Icefrog at the helm. Gameplay untouched. Also, cloth physics.

But I probably agree, anyway.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Nah, the Half-Life series will go on sale because it's just a protracted Christian allegory anyway.

I'm not being serious.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Pandoracell said:
Are there normally Easter sales?
Wanted to ask the same, can't remember if there was one last year between all the other insane sales ^^

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Valve doesn't acknowledge religious holidays for their sales, and Easter as a secular Holiday isn't that big in the US.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
Valve doesn't acknowledge religious holidays for their sales
Like Christmas holidays, you mean?
HA! kidding :)

Bummer :/

bigace33

Just a friendly reminder, Gamersgate has Metro 2033 for 5 dollars and it can be activated on steam. For those of you who do not trust GG they have paypal checkout. 16 hours left on the sale so Go!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Drkirby said:
I am hoping so too (Well, more specifically with LoL as my frame of referance), that is the one and only feature that I want in the game over the base game, the ability to pull the camera back. Being able to not have to rely on a mini map as much would make things so much simipler, it can be so easy to loose sight of your team mates if they move back a bit.
I get the feeling that some of the design decisions on HoN just make the game harder to play, but doesn't actually make it a better game. I'd love for Dota 2 to be more like LoL, but I don't see them doing that.

Twig said:
This desire to stay perfectly on topic 100% of the time is retarded. PEOPLE TALKING OH NOOOOO.
Other than the 1 or 2 people involved in your "conversation" nobody wants to read that crap in here.

This is the Steam thread, not the "stuff completely unrelated to Steam" thread.

Snuggler said:
what Steam game do you guys most want to go on sale?
I'm not sure if Vampire: Bloodlines is the one I most want to go on sale or the least to go on sale. It is the Moby Dick of Steam sales and if it goes on sale that meme is gone forever.

Anyone know anything about that 'Cargo' game? Looks colorful & maybe sorta like that latest Banjo-Kazooie?

I'm always looking for games I can play while my daughter is around.

Baha

speculawyer said:
Anyone know anything about that 'Cargo' game? Looks colorful & maybe sorta like that latest Banjo-Kazooie?

It's rated T and apparently has partial nudity. According to the trailer on the steam store page at least.

Joe Molotov

Baha said:
It's rated T and apparently has partial nudity. According to the trailer on the steam store page at least.

Adding to my wishlist!

If you look at the screenshots, it's probably referring to the naked troll guys.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The game looked better during an older trailer I saw. The one on the steam store page makes the game look dumb.

Divius

theBishop said:
I'd like an excuse to play the original Crysis. $10 sale would do it.
Durign the Christmas sale I picked up Crysis + Crysis: Warhead for €5 total. Pretty sweet deal and totally worth it.

Enk

makes good threads.
Snuggler said:
what Steam game do you guys most want to go on sale?

Divinity II:DKS or Two Worlds II. Basically I need my RPG fix after I finish Risen and before Witcher II comes out.

speculawyer said:

It is incredibly quirky almost surreal which is what ice pick lodge go for. I've only spent a half hour with those so far.

bigace33

Ok Metro looks amazing on my Comp. I'm getting solid frame rates and playing it in 720 P, but the screen tearing is unbelievable. I wonder what I can do to correct this?

mrgone

radeonxt said:
isn't it going to be in gamersgate tomorow at 5 pounds?

http://www.gamersgate.com/newsletter/831/1989331

Are Gamersgate games secure to be added to steam? or will my account be banned?

Sorry about my english.

cheers.
Thanks for pointing this out! Being a Steamworks game it requires Steam integration to play, so there's no problem adding it to your account.

SapientWolf said:
The Z remake is in the process of being submitted to Steam for a June/July release by Kavcom. I hope Gabe likes 2D action RTS games.

http://www.kavcom.co.uk/2011/04/03/kavcom-links-licensing-deal-for-the-bitmap-brothers-classic-z/
Awesome! I remember really liking this game when it was first released.

edit: Ooh, free remake project: The Zod Engine. I guess they made it multiplayer focused, but you can still play against AI. Now to try to remember how to play!

Blizzard

Banned
Anilusion said:
Hoping for The Longest Journey + Dreamfall, and The Last Remnant to go on sale.
Good luck. The Last Remnant might have been on sale, but I think those other two are in the category of "has never been on sale or maybe once out of the last 3-5 years". Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is also in this category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom