• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuminus3

desu said:
Pretty much sums it up! I got nearly 160 games on steam and I don't really want to build another collectiong on any other DD service.
I'm primarily a Steam man, but there's still tons of games on other services that aren't even available on Steam so I'm quite happy to use them. I have a substantial GOG library for obvious reasons, but I also have a few titles on Direct2Drive and GFWM simply because there's no other "DD" way to get them. Plus you can't get Blizzard's games anywhere else but from them.

stuminus3 said:
I'm primarily a Steam man, but there's still tons of games on other services that aren't even available on Steam so I'm quite happy to use them. I have a substantial GOG library for obvious reasons, but I also have a few titles on Direct2Drive and GFWM simply because there's no other "DD" way to get them. Plus you can't get Blizzard's games anywhere else but from them.

It's the installs that are the deal-breaker for me. Steam means never installing a game again. GoG is acceptable because their installer is consistent for all their games and they're quick and awesome (since the games are usually much smaller). Blizzard's downloading of games is less than ideal since you have to install and then let the updater run for 40 minutes every time you format, but considering you're only really doing that for SCII and WoW (the rest of the games are already up to date) it's not too bad.

desu

stuminus3 said:

Was more talking about more recent games, got a GOG account as well but those games are simply in their own league so its fine. For other titles that are not on steam, like Split/Second I just try to get a boxed version :D.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
stuminus3 said:

What's DD exclusive?

kamspy

So, been looking at Scratches as a Penumbra type game, but afraid it's a Myst like game.

Anyone know?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46460/

bELgW.jpg

SappYoda

bigace33 said:
Man if I hadn't already activated it I would give you my physical copy free of charge. This game stinks to high heaven in my opinion. I'm serious
What do you think of Fallout 3?

Veal

I'm having a weird and frustrating time with Metro 2033! I could run the demo of the game just fine with DX11 and 10, but the full game refuses to boot! I've tried verifying the game cache and that has done nothing. Anyone have any ideas? System specs: 6870, Phenom II 970, 4 GB ram, W7 64.

marrec

Banned
kamspy said:
So, been looking at Scratches as a Penumbra type game, but afraid it's a Myst like game.

Anyone know?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46460/

Ya I was kind of interested as well based on the reviews but it seems more like a Sherlock Holmesian story than an H.P. Lovecraftian. Nothing in the screenshots or trailers gives me any indication that it's got the scares of a Penumbra.

Interested to hear impressions.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
mikespit1200 said:
Thanks, some people mentioned fan patches. Are they worth getting?

Arcanum is pretty busted. You basically need those patches, they fix up so much.

kamspy

marrec said:
Ya I was kind of interested as well based on the reviews but it seems more like a Sherlock Holmesian story than an H.P. Lovecraftian. Nothing in the screenshots or trailers gives me any indication that it's got the scares of a Penumbra.

I'm just wondering if it's pure point and click, or if you actually move around organically like Penumbra.

Anyone know?

kamspy

scorpscarx said:
I'm pretty sure pure point and click, there is no animation in the game.

Damn. That premise would be awesome on that Amnesia engine. Scratches coming from a basement door in a fucked up old haunted house? I'd buy that up in a heart beat.

Yea I wanted to buy it too, but then I read a bunch of info about it and decided that I didn't want to play a point and click game right now. It has great art and sound so it's probably worth $8 bucks.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Ickman3400 said:
That's nice but I was waiting for it on steam. Sucks I have to wait until the 2 major sales for these deals but that's the price I pay for Steam being amazing.

Yeah i agree...Bulletstorm is the only game i'm holding out for a sale.

If anyone likes hidden item games, check out The Tiny Bang Story. It reminds me a lot of Machinarium but instead of a traditional point-and-click adventure game it's mostly about finding hidden items.

There's a demo here which isn't on Steam for some reason. It may expand beyond finding hidden items later on in the game but that's all you do in the demo.

nyong

Banned
Man, I really wish they let you add bundles to your wishlist. Can someone remind me to purchase the Ubisoft WWII pack during the Summer sale? Thanks.

How is IL-2 for the PC, btw? Compared to the console versions? Are the graphics ancient looking in motion?

Mairu

Anyone planning on getting Darkspore? I see that I can get it for 25% off on D2D this weekend but I'd much rather have it on steam. If I can get enough
trustworthy
people for the 4-pack, it's the same price as on D2D D:

you know what? I wish there were Steam cards, like MS point cards and PSN cards out in the wild retail market. I have $20 in amazon credit, and I would totally love to use it for steam sales.

You can buy MS point cards with amazon credit. C'mon Valve, make it happen.

Edit: Metro 2033 is a steamworks game, no?

Double edit: yes. woo. it's 10 on amazon. Problem solved.

Mairu

Notrollious said:
you know what? I wish there were Steam cards, like MS point cards and PSN cards out in the wild retail market. I have $20 in amazon credit, and I would totally love to use it for steam sales.

You can buy MS point cards with amazon credit. C'mon Valve, make it happen.

Edit: Metro 2033 is a steamworks game, no?

Double edit: yes. woo. it's 10 on amazon. Problem solved.
metro 2033 is also on sale on steam for 10$

Mairu said:
metro 2033 is also on sale on steam for 10$

Yeah I know, which is what led me to wonder why we don't have Steam Cards.

I have Amazon credit I want to burn, since I don't have any other uses for it. so I can get metro 2033 for 'free'

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
plc268 said:
I'm quite the opposite. I put 80 hrs in NV, and I got bored of FO3 after 20 hrs. NV is the much better game IMO.

Yeah, it is hard to peg down if you'll love, like, or hate New Vegas. I loved it and Fallout 3, putting in over a hundred hours into each.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bigace33 said:
That is an absolute steal for one of the best Basketball games ever. It looks amazing on PC
I don't think it's a Steamworks game though, is it? It should probably get copied over into the digital deals thread. $10 for a game still selling for $40 at retail sounds like a good deal, if the port was any good.

amrod

Direct2Drive

all orders totaling $19.95 or more by 25 percent. That includes pre-orders, as well -- just make sure you drop the promo code "BUNNY" during check-out!

Any good steamworks games worth pre-ordering?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
amrod said:
Direct2Drive

all orders totaling $19.95 or more by 25 percent. That includes pre-orders, as well -- just make sure you drop the promo code "BUNNY" during check-out!

Brink.

bigace33

SapientWolf said:
I don't think it's a Steamworks game though, is it? It should probably get copied over into the digital deals thread. $10 for a game still selling for $40 at retail sounds like a good deal, if the port was any good.
Yeah it's not steamworks although I still launch it through steam. I have already played one full season and have started another play through. I feel good about the 29.99 I spent on it. I do believe the online is broken on the PC version though. I can never, ever connect for anything. I had to download my own roster updates and everything.

Luthos

So I recently bought the classic GTA collection, and installed San Andreas.

The intro doesn't show up. So I skip it, and check settings. and it won't let me change to my native resolution. In fact, it doesn't recognize any widescreen resolution. What's the deal?

amrod said:
Direct2Drive

Possibly Rage (supposedly its Steamworks)
Il-Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover
Red Faction: Armageddon
Saints Row 3 (supposedly is Steamworks)

marrec said:

It's actually quite good and creepy. It's not quite like Penumbra in terms of gameplay, its more like the first Darkness Within. It's got a really good story and kind of creepy. Great music too. For 8 bucks you can't beat it, seriously.

amrod said:
Direct2Drive

Dungeon Siege 3. Not sure if it comes with 1+2 as a bonus, though. Guessing not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom