• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

1-D_FTW said:
Supreme Commander is pretty cool, though, because you can zoom all the way out, issue easy macro commands to your different formations, zoom back out, and watch shit get blown to pieces.

Does it have the e-sport balance of StarCraft 2? Hell, no. But if you're not someone who enjoys issuing 250 commands a minute, it's arguably more fun.

You don't have to be the best player in the world to have fun.

Faster response time is better in any RTS. A 150APM SupCom player is likely better than a 50APM SupCom player by just as much as he would be in Starcraft. People just don't realize this because only Starcraft has a professional scene so it's visible.

Also, SupCom has very samey factions. The 3 "factions" only really have 3 different units each, the rest are re-skinned identical units. Starcraft having mastered 3 completely unique feeling factions that somehow remain very well balanced is a big draw. Nobody else has pulled it off.

You'll notice that both spectators and players love the TvZ, TvP, ZvP match ups. Yet they generally despise the mirrors (TvT, ZvZ, PvP). Playing a non-Blizzard RTS is often the equivalent of playing a mirror match up in a Blizzard RTS in that you have very samey races and people just hate that. I know I hate both watching and playing mirrors.

theBishop

Banned
Woah, I just checked and No One Lives Forever is not on Steam. What the F. Get those games on there, watch them sell like hot bread, and make a new one dammit.

theBishop said:
Woah, I just checked and No One Lives Forever is not on Steam. What the F. Get those games on there, watch them sell like hot bread, and make a new one dammit.

Go to the steam site and request it on the suggestion board. There's a thread and Valve does read it because a rep appeared one day and said it.

LovingSteam said:
Dirt 3 up for pre purchase 10% off for $44.95

As much as I like these games, I don't think I can bring myself to spend more than $10 on GFWL games anymore. Hurry up and get on the party train, codemasters.

dream

Anyone feel like playing tech support for me? I get these weird dots in Metro 2033, almost like artifacting from my video card overheating, but I'm pretty sure it's not that because it shows up in screenshots and it only happens under certain lighting conditions. You can see it pretty clearly here:

This screen isn't as clear, but it shows how it only happens mostly on the right side of the screen.

Anyone know what this could be?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
dream said:
Anyone feel like playing tech support for me? I get these weird dots in Metro 2033, almost like artifacting from my video card overheating, but I'm pretty sure it's not that because it shows up in screenshots and it only happens under certain lighting conditions. You can see it pretty clearly here:

This screen isn't as clear, but it shows how it only happens mostly on the right side of the screen.

If its not overheating could it be dying? i had stuff like that happen with my Radeon 9800. I just had to buy a new GPU.

dream

It could be that...but this doesn't happen in other games so I'm wondering if it's some weird setting I have enabled or something like that.

rogue74

Sir Garbageman said:
Drakensang and it's sequel, A River of Time. Been wanting to pick them up for a while.

Anyone have experience with these? I remember playing Shadows over Riva years ago. I kind of liked it but could never stick with it for too long.

dream said:

It's part of the game. Supposed to be like little dust, ash and other particles floating around. That's why you can only see it under certain lighting conditions.

Just fired it up to make sure.

rogue74 said:
Anyone have experience with these? I remember playing Shadows over Riva years ago. I kind of liked it but could never stick with it for too long.

River of Time is great. I could never really get into the first one, despite trying a few times.

Enk said:
Divinity II:DKS or Two Worlds II. Basically I need my RPG fix after I finish Risen and before Witcher II comes out.

I can't speak for Two Worlds II, other than to say it's on my wish list and will likely be the next rpg I buy once I complete Risen and The Witcher 2. However I did pick up a physical media version of The Dragon Knight Saga for 30$ a while back and it's totally been worth that. Just completed the remake of Ego Draconis and am moving on to Flames of Vengeance. It's definitely a little on the rough, uneven side but it's a fairly enjoyable experience. People should totally grab it when it goes on sale again.

nexen

rogue74 said:
I'm currently playing through the first one at a snail's pace. I like it but it doesn't hold my interest more than a few hours at a time.
It is a good game but very slow paced (at least for as far as I've gotten).

bigace33

Orellio said:
D3doverrider
That worked like a charm. I took a hit to my FPSs but the game is performing much better with no screen tearing whatsoever. Metro 2033 seems like it is going to be pretty good. I am loving the setting and the game looks amazing. I have a pretty weak card and it's doing the job so anyone worried about running this game should not. I'm running on DX10 though. I'm scared to try DX11.

Forkball

Anilusion said:
Hoping for The Longest Journey + Dreamfall, and The Last Remnant to go on sale.
Yeah, LJ and Dreamfall weren't even on sale for Christmas when a thousand of other games were. Last Remnant was half off during the Christmas sale, but everyone has such mixed opinions about the game.

And didn't the developer for VMB go out of business? Who even owns the rights to the rights? Activision? We all know how they are when it comes to Steam sales.

Also, The Next Big Thing is $30 on Steam but $40 on GG. Ok then.

Oreoleo

bigace33 said:
That worked like a charm. I took a hit to my FPSs but the game is performing much better with no screen tearing whatsoever. Metro 2033 seems like it is going to be pretty good. I am loving the setting and the game looks amazing. I have a pretty weak card and it's doing the job so anyone worried about running this game should not. I'm running on DX10 though. I'm scared to try DX11.

Heh, I thought my post was kind of dismissive, but it's nice to see a new (?) PC gamer who doesn't need to be lead by the hand to figure out where to find something/installing it, etc. If you are curious about triple-buffering and the tech going on behind D3DOverrider, this is a pretty mandatory read: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794

Glad you're enjoying the game though. Metro 2033 is underrated IMO, and very worth sticking it out to the end as the 2nd half of the game is much better than the 1st, which is a rarity in gaming these days.

DX11 killed my frames, so I played on DX10 FWIW.

Sanic

Gah, can't get a game to download, even when I switch servers. It'll go for about a minute, and then the download will pause.

When this happens, will the download eventually start up again on its own when it can? I've gotta go out for a few hours and would like this to download while i'm out.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Snuggler said:
what Steam game do you guys most want to go on sale?

Bulletstorm. How has this not dropped yet? Dead Space 2 slipped to $40 real quick. I've seen one day only sales on other DD sites, but I want this on my Steam account, where it refuses to drop below $60. I know it didn't sell that well.

epmode

Shaneus said:
Trackmania. Pretty sure it's never been on sale at all *anywhere*.
Not true! There was a half-off Steam sale. ..back in 2008.

It's worth every cent even at full price, by the way. One of the most replayable games ever.

edit: Another half-off sale in 2009

Shaneus said:
Trackmania. Pretty sure it's never been on sale at all *anywhere*.

It's been on sale on Steam before. Ah yes...

Nov 30, 2009 - Trackmania United Forever - $19.99

I own it so I knew it was on sale. Don't think I've ever paid full price for a Steam game.

Blizzard

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
It's been on sale on Steam before. Ah yes...

Nov 30, 2009 - Trackmania United Forever - $19.99

I own it so I knew it was on sale. Don't think I've ever paid full price for a Steam game.
I didn't realize it was still $40 in the store, huh. But yes, I also own it, and I also very probably went for the $20 deal.

Well, I rented the Xbox 360 version when it came out and really enjoyed. I've been wanting to play through it again and I'd like it to be for PC. Hopefully there's a Bethesda sale in the near future.

Mrbob said:
Enter Code BUNNY at Direct 2 Drive and you can save 25 percent off. Put it at around 22.50 for the game and it is Steamworks.

That works for CIV 5 too. Brings it down to $24.

Why is there tax on D2D? Don't think I've encountered that with any other DD service.

Bulletstorm for $20 or under would be awesome, that's my #1 now. The rest that I want to go on sale are smaller games like Settlers 7 or old games I played on console but want on PC.

Shaneus

Hm, I might just have to bite the bullet and get it at full... perhaps they'll have it on sale before the second one comes out.

Thanks for pointing out the sales, too... I figured it must have been at some point but 2009 is a fucking long time ago!

Edit: At 25% off at D2D, I'm guessing I'll jump in! Woo!

Mrbob

I think I'm going to pre order Brink this weekend from D2D since it is a Steamworks title.

Also contemplating RAGE. Not listed yet as a Steamworks title so I would be taking a chance, but all recent Bethesda releases have been Steamworks. Thinking RAGE will be the same. 44.99 is a good price.

shuyin_

Banned
Rodney McKay said:
I would love a Dead Space 1+2 bundle. Realistically I would guess it wouldn't be lower than $25-30, but I would still get it in a heartbeat.
Atomski said:
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Deadspace 1+2 and probably a new indie game pack.

The 1st Dead Space was 5 euros (probably 5$ if you're in the US) in the EA Store. I bought it from there. Since it doesn't use any Steamfeature, there is no point in waiting for it on Steam.

MRORANGE

shuyin_ said:
Since it doesn't use any Steamfeature, there is no point in waiting for it on Steam.

Some people prefer having there whole game collection from one service, instead of having to use several clients - also the fact that many people may have invested heavily on one DD service.

Dead space should go on sale in the summer mega sale though so keep your eye's peeled.

desu

MRORANGE said:
Some people prefer having there whole game collection from one service, instead of having to use several clients - also the fact that many people may have invested heavily on one DD service.

Pretty much sums it up! I got nearly 160 games on steam and I don't really want to build another collectiong on any other DD service. Most titles will be on sale on steam sooner or later anyway and I guess most people have such huge backlogs that they can just wait a few more months and possibly pick the game up from a steam sale then.

1-D_FTW

That Cargo: Gravity game looks interesting.

Little rich for my blood at 19.99, but I'd consider for 9.99 if it started getting some good impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom