• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojiimbo

Luthos said:
So I recently bought the classic GTA collection, and installed San Andreas.

The intro doesn't show up. So I skip it, and check settings. and it won't let me change to my native resolution. In fact, it doesn't recognize any widescreen resolution. What's the deal?
IIRC the Steam version is patched up to 1.x which for some reason doesn't support some(all?) widescreen resolutions. I had to roll back my .exe to 1.0 to get 1920x1080 working. I found a link for it in a thread on the Steam boards.

chixdiggit

amrod said:
Direct2Drive

all orders totaling $19.95 or more by 25 percent. That includes pre-orders, as well -- just make sure you drop the promo code "BUNNY" during check-out!

Any good steamworks games worth pre-ordering?

So I also noticed that if you are an IGN Prime member you get 15% off. Will this stack with the 25%? Also it says as a benefit "FREE IN GAME ITEMS. Get all the extra levels, brag swag and in-game gear, gratis." So does that mean for example if you buy Fallout Vegas you get all the DLC for free? I would try but don't want to waste the $7 for the 1 month subscription.

Salsa

LovingSteam said:
Possibly Rage (supposedly its Steamworks)

Day 1 if true.

Not gonna pre-order Brink cause the multiplayer will probably be useless to me since i dont really see near servers happening. Fuckin ping :(

squicken

I know this is a dumb question and makes me seem cheap, but after playing Portal2 I got a hankering for some Ep2. I had only played the OB on 360, and don't want to buy the whole thing on Steam (since I already own Ep1 and Portal). Ep2 standalone is $10. Is that about the usual price? Do they ever discount standalone Valve games or just bundle them cheaply.

I'm in no hurry, but if it's always $10, I'll grab it now. I just feel dumb paying more than necessary for a 4 hour game I already own.

squicken said:
I know this is a dumb question and makes me seem cheap, but after playing Portal2 I got a hankering for some Ep2. I had only played the OB on 360, and don't want to buy the whole thing on Steam (since I already own Ep1 and Portal). Ep2 standalone is $10. Is that about the usual price? Do they ever discount standalone Valve games or just bundle them cheaply.

I'm in no hurry, but if it's always $10, I'll grab it now. I just feel dumb paying more than necessary for a 4 hour game I already own.

You might as well grab The Orange Box on pc for $20. You will have an extra copy of Episode 1 to gift, and maybe one of Portal. And you'll get the ultimate hat simulator!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
squicken said:

Honestly, the Valve games go on sale for dirty cheap all the time. Might as well wait.

squicken

Lasthope106 said:
You might as well grab The Orange Box on pc for $20. You will have an extra copy of Episode 1 to gift, and maybe one of Portal. And you'll get the ultimate hat simulator!

It's just that I own the XBOX (original XBOX), and 360 versions of HL2. Own Ep1 and Portal on both PC and 360 and EP2 on 360. I don't play TF2 so it has no value to me. It's like, even though it's just $10, I've paid my fair share for this stuff already. If I have to wait for a sale I will.

squicken said:
It's just that I own the XBOX (original XBOX), and 360 versions of HL2. Own Ep1 and Portal on both PC and 360 and EP2 on 360. I don't play TF2 so it has no value to me. It's like, even though it's just $10, I've paid my fair share for this stuff already. If I have to wait for a sale I will.

In that case, the Steam summer sale is just around the corner and last time all the Valve games had massive discounts.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm hoping Bad Company 2 goes on sale. I can't believe I missed the Impulse $5 sale on it a few weeks back (didn't have access to my pc). Will black ops ever go on sale?
yeah right

squicken said:

Don't you mean $8? I'm pretty sure it was on sale a few months ago for around $3, it'll probably drop down to the same range during the Summer sale which isn't too far off.

celcius said:
I'm hoping Bad Company 2 goes on sale. I can't believe I missed the Impulse $5 sale on it a few weeks back (didn't have access to my pc). Will black ops ever go on sale?
yeah right
bad co 2 digital download is 9.99 on amazon right now heres a link

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
rac said:
Double dipped on pc just to play online with someone and it is complete trash. If you want to play online do not buy this shit game.
What is wrong with the online?

Zimbardo

i have a question regarding Source games ...or at least a few Source games. hope ya don't mind me asking here, but i figured you guys would probably know as well as anyone ...

example:

team fortress 2 ...playing a game online, running perfectly smooth, then all of a sudden the game will freeze for a second and the sound will loop like 3 or 4 times, and then the game will continue on normally.

i've seen it happen in Left 4 Dead and Half Life 2 as well.

happened on 2 different PCs, so i'm thinking that it's just a problem with the Source engine.

i can't be the only one who experienced this, can i?

Salsa

Zimbardo said:
i have a question regarding Source games ...or at least a few Source games. hope ya don't mind me asking here, but i figured you guys would probably know as well as anyone ...

example:

team fortress 2 ...playing a game online, running perfectly smooth, then all of a sudden the game will freeze for a second and the sound will loop like 3 or 4 times, and then the game will continue on normally.

i've seen it happen in Left 4 Dead and Half Life 2 as well.

happened on 2 different PCs, so i'm thinking that it's just a problem with the Source engine.

i can't be the only one who experienced this, can i?

I get this occasionally when booting the game/connecting disconnecting from a server, or maybe checking my loadout mid-game in TF2 (or when there's an item drop and the screen pops up). Lasts only a couple of seconds though. That kind of stutter can be seen in Source games but not during gameplay, so it doesnt really matter.

Shurs said:
So if I order this disc version, I can activate it on Steam?

If it's one of the games on that support list, yeah. For example, if you buy Civ 5 in-store you can perm-link it to Steam and basically throw away the disc.

Zimbardo

SalsaShark said:
I get this occasionally when booting the game/connecting disconnecting from a server, or maybe checking my loadout mid-game in TF2 (or when there's an item drop and the screen pops up). Lasts only a couple of seconds though. That kind of stutter can be seen in Source games but not during gameplay, so it doesnt really matter.

ya i also get it when i disconnect from a server ...but i also get it occasionally in game. nothing special seems to be happening, and it'll stop and the sound will loop for a second and then the game will continue.

its pretty lame really. annoying.

happened on 2 different PCs too ...so i don't know what the hell to do.

i'm guessing there's nothing that can be done.

Cipherr

LocoMrPollock said:

Motherf..... Im planning on getting mount and blade warband friday. Dont got the money for it now, sick as shit of folks on my friends lists popping up playing it. But I want the direct steam version, I dont want any damned boxes or mailed games. I think Id rather actually pay 29.99 lol. Thats a little silly but, well yea..

vocab

Cipherr said:
Motherf..... Im planning on getting mount and blade warband friday. Dont got the money for it now, sick as shit of folks on my friends lists popping up playing it. But I want the direct steam version, I dont want any damned boxes or mailed games. I think Id rather actually pay 29.99 lol. Thats a little silly but, well yea..

Dude, it's the DD version. You plug the key in steam, and it ties it to your account. If it doesn't work, you have to go to the Warband website and convert the key to the new format.

All steam works games are like this.

Cipherr

vocab said:
Dude, it's the DD version. You plug the key in steam, and it ties it to your account. If it doesn't work, you have to go to the Warband website and convert the key to the new format.

All steam works games are like this.

Hmm really? So I can buy the Amazon version friday for 10 bucks and get the key for it immediately? Or will I have to get the box mailed traditionally? I honestly have not ever linked any of my old boxed PC titles to steam.

Narag

Cipherr said:
Hmm really? So I can buy the Amazon version friday for 10 bucks and get the key for it immediately? Or will I have to get the box mailed traditionally? I honestly have not ever linked any of my old boxed PC titles to steam.

May not be that price come Friday seeing at it's apparently an Easter Sale.

Narag

Ookami-kun said:
So I heard Fate of the World is discounted up to Friday, is this true?

From the Steam Headlines page:

Earth Day Sale - Fate of the World 33% Off
Announcement - Valve
To commemorate Earth Day, Fate of the World is available at 33% off now through April 28th!

Fate of the World puts you in charge of protecting the Earth’s resources and climate versus the needs of an ever-growing world population. In this global strategy game, all of our futures are in your hands!

Additionally, new content is now available in-game, including a special "Earth Day" mission!

10% of proceeds from this Earth Day promotion will be donated to the Save the Orangutan organization.

benjipwns

Banned
bigace33 said:
I do believe the online is broken on the PC version though. I can never, ever connect for anything. I had to download my own roster updates and everything.
It's not, that's a problem on your end I guess. Never had a problem with the roster updates and NBA Today this year or last year.
What is wrong with the online?
Playing online defaults to LOW graphics because they couldn't figure out how to fix it.

And before the patch you couldn't get beyond three minutes in half the time. And after it, it can still be laggy as fuck and have framerate issues even at the LOW settings.

Salsa

Twig said:
Why? I am confused. There wasn't one last year.

This year has been pretty crazy with sales, was hoping for something.

The two-take sales leading to easter were definetly nice though

Twig

Banned
SalsaShark said:
This year has been pretty crazy with sales, was hoping for something.

The two-take sales leading to easter were definetly nice though
Yeah, I guess, but they don't do religious holidays, right? Christmas sale is a "Holidays" sale. Easter is, despite the Easter bunny, still extremely Christian in nature, and there's not much room to fake it. Plus, summer sale will be here before you know it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mairu said:
Anyone planning on getting Darkspore? I see that I can get it for 25% off on D2D this weekend but I'd much rather have it on steam. If I can get enough
trustworthy
people for the 4-pack, it's the same price as on D2D D:
If you can buy, save me a spot in the pack.

Sanic

Everyone keeps calling it an Easter sale, but there's no reason Valve needs to associate it with that or Religion in any way.

Certain people are going to be gifting or having a bit of extra disposable income, and it's an excuse to have more sales. Religion should have nothing to do with it. Every other DD service has/had some nice sales going on, Valve should have as well.

benjipwns

Banned
I think Valve has a good system to be honest. Each week a game or few get showcased. Then you have the publisher weeks.

And then you have the massive Summer sale when people are out of school, and Winter sale when people are out of school and likely have some excess income. And Black Friday which has gone well beyond its Thanksgiving related status on the internet.

Plus, you have to remember they just put out their big release for the year.

Pandoracell said:
Certain people are going to be gifting or having a bit of extra disposable income, and it's an excuse to have more sales. Religion should have nothing to do with it. Every other DD service has/had some nice sales going on, Valve should have as well.

Yeah they should work on having more big sales. Not necessarily as big as the summer/winter ones they have but something along the lines of what competitors have. Doesn't D2D have some mega sale going that even works on preorders? I don't remember ever being able to do that on Steam, and they also have some low prices on certain games. Seeing their deals makes it hard on someone like me who's Steam only, especially when they have Bulletstorm for really cheap and it hasn't even gone on sale once on Steam yet.

bigace33

Crazymoogle said:
If it's one of the games on that support list, yeah. For example, if you buy Civ 5 in-store you can perm-link it to Steam and basically throw away the disc.
lol all ths time I was thinking I still needed the disc to play Fallout New Vegas. I did not know steam automatically installed it on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom