• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markster

Woo! Just bought Civ V and it activated parfectly on Steam.
Unfortunately, I installed the Amazon Downloader before I found out where to find my CD-key.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This really sucks that i havent been able to activate my fucking Portal 2 copy cause psn is down and it needs me to login through there. God damn.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
~Kinggi~ said:
This really sucks that i havent been able to activate my fucking Portal 2 copy cause psn is down and it needs me to login through there. God damn.
Unfortunately there really isn't much Valve can do. I am sure they didn't imagine the week they released Portal 2 to be the first time PSN ever had such an issue.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Relax.MX said:
It is for Latin America (one of the most important)
Are you sure it is a major secular holiday? Remember, secular means not religious (I have seen a number of people use "Non secular" when they want just secular)

Yeah, most Christians view it as Pagan, but then they still celebrate it with the easter bunny, basket and egg hunts and all that. It's really not a religious holiday.

Shambles

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, most Christians view it as Pagan, but then they still celebrate it with the easter bunny, basket and egg hunts and all that. It's really not a religious holiday.

To be fair a lot of people also do celebrate it as an actual religious holiday. It's not not PC to show that in commercials or product marketing so it's not in your face as much. I'm sure you see huge differences depending on what region of the world you live in but like Christmas even if it's not celebrated as a religious holiday by many, it's origins and meaning is. Not that any of this matters in a Steam thread, happy Easter :p

cackhyena

Drkirby said:
Unfortunately there really isn't much Valve can do. I am sure they didn't imagine the week they released Portal 2 to be the first time PSN ever had such an issue.

Wait, are you saying the the DD Steam version isn't playable right now? I'm reading that wrong...right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Still deciding on whether or not to pick up Fate of the World. If it were 50% of I'd have definitely bitten, but 33%... I can't believe I'm getting tied up in knots over $1.30.

Stumpokapow said:
Still deciding on whether or not to pick up Fate of the World. If it were 50% of I'd have definitely bitten, but 33%... I can't believe I'm getting tied up in knots over $1.30.

It's not a very good game, if that helps.

Edit: Didn't mean to double post.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Drkirby said:
Are you sure it is a major secular holiday? Remember, secular means not religious (I have seen a number of people use "Non secular" when they want just secular)
It totally IS a religious holiday down here. Jesus died on Friday (that's why you're not supposed to eat red meat on "Holy Friday". It's associated with human flesh) and came back to life on Sunday (which is what Easter represents. Rebirth).

On related news, I ate a half pound burger on Friday, so I'm going to hell.

Edit: To come back on topic, I'm actually glad steam didn't have a Easter Sale. Magicka was one of the best purchases of the year at 8 bucks for the Game+DLC pack, and I already spent money on Portal.

Don't worry you guys, the Summer Sale is starting to show up on the horizon.

plc268

LocoMrPollock said:
It's not a very good game, if that helps.

Edit: Didn't mean to double post.

I liked it. It's more of a board/card game than anything else... and it's pretty complex. It does have some interface issues though (it can be a pain to find simple things), but it's overall pretty decent. I wouldn't rush to get it by any means, but it's well worth playing through if it reaches a price point you're comfortable with.

Grizza

cackhyena said:
Wait, are you saying the the DD Steam version isn't playable right now? I'm reading that wrong...right?

Yes, you are reading that wrong. You only have to link your PSN and Steam accounts once to use the code that comes with the PS3 version of Portal 2, but if PSN is down you can't. If you linked them before PSN went down, you'd be having no problems with Portal 2 on Steam. Unfortunately, this chap has to wait for PSN to get back up to link his accounts.

r.gun

Neo Member
cackhyena said:

In order to initially download your Steam copy you need to link your PS3 to your Steam account. With PSN down, you can't link the two and so you can't initiate the link. If you had already linked and downloaded you Steam copy it should work.

Edit: Beaten.

Wow at Bulletstorm being $22 at D2D. That is why I'm never buying another EA game at full price ever again. The insane price drops so soon after release happened with Mass Effect 2, and Dead Space 2 and I'm sure it will happen with Crysis 2.

cackhyena

Grizza said:
Yes, you are reading that wrong. You only have to link your PSN and Steam accounts once to use the code that comes with the PS3 version of Portal 2, but if PSN is down you can't. If you linked them before PSN went down, you'd be having no problems with Portal 2 on Steam. Unfortunately, this chap has to wait for PSN to get back up to link his accounts.

Okay, so I technically didn't read it wrong, as I have a PS3 version coming in the mail. Guess I should have mentioned that. I knew if I got it straight from Steam I'd be good. Got the PS3 version in the hopes that the wife would want to play some co op. SP is all about playing on my PC, though.

Hopefully this is sorted by the time it arrives.

Cipherr

Damn.... does anyone know if I buy that mount and blade from amazon if Ill be able to download and activate it? Does amazon to download titles with emailed keys or something? If I could be playing it today Ill get it and just link it to steam.

flsh

Banned
If you buy a game that has steamworks, it doesn't matter where you buy it, you can activate it on steam. I did that with Dawn of War 2 that I bought elsewhere because the game wasn't available yet on local Steam.
The question is repeated a lot lately so to save yourselves time, check if a game has steamworks. If it does, you can buy it elsewhere, if it doesn't, wait for Steam to have a sale if you want it on that.

The list of steam games (it also says if it has steamworks or not). Keep it bookmarked and it will save you a lot of time asking it here :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_titles

Mount & Blade: Warband has steamworks so Steam should let you activate it.

Cipherr

Damn just tried trackmania last night too. Had the demo forever but just finally got around to trying it, and its fucking fun as hell. Weird design for a racing game with the repeated short tracks but fucking weirdly satisfying.

JaseC said:
Valve don't set the prices, publishers do. I can't see EA matching their own store sale prices on the platform, especially with their antics of late.

The bulletstorm deal is D2D which reminds me how little sense EA's treatment of Steam makes. They must not want their game to sell very well on PC since they're willing to fuck over the majority of DD users. I would instantly buy Bulletstorm for $20 if they did it on Steam and not just D2D.

desu

Ickman3400 said:
The bulletstorm deal is D2D which reminds me how little sense EA's treatment of Steam makes. They must not want their game to sell very well on PC since they're willing to fuck over the majority of DD users. I would instantly buy Bulletstorm for $20 if they did it on Steam and not just D2D.

Same same ... but it will be on sale sooner or later for sure (possibly below that price anyway) and we will just get it then.

rossonero

I don't know where to put this, but EA Store is having 50% off on everything. I'm thinking of getting BC2:Vietnam but I bought BC2 on Steam, it should still work right?

Zimbardo

just out of curiosity, and i'm not trying to be an arsehole or anything, but why the extreme loyalty to Steam?

you're missing out on some great deals elsewhere.

Direct2Drive is great for pre orders and new releases because they often have 20% (or more) off everything sales.

like for example, Brink is $37 on D2D now, while its $49 on Steam. the game even uses Steamworks (it requires Steam to play), so why the heck not buy it from D2D instead of Steam?

i can see not wanting to have your games spread across all kinds of different digital distribution sites, but using a couple isn't bad.

Relax.MX

Zimbardo said:
just out of curiosity, and i'm not trying to be an arsehole or anything, but why the extreme loyalty to Steam?

Direct2Drive is great for pre orders and new releases because they often have 20% (or more) off everything sales.

like for example, Brink is $37 on D2D now, while its $49 on Steam. the game even uses Steamworks (it requires Steam to play), so why the heck not buy it from D2D instead of Steam?

i can see not wanting to have your games spread across all kinds of different digital distribution sites, but using a couple isn't bad.

For me...beacuse i have my friends on steam and is the only decent place I can buy PC games for Mexico in a fast and reliable way...

desu

Zimbardo said:

for example, Brink is $37 on D2D now, while its $49 on Steam. the game even uses Steamworks (it requires Steam to play), so why the heck not buy it from D2D instead of Steam?

Obviously most (well the few people that care about brink) will just get it on D2D.

other than that, I just want to have all my games in one play. Thats it! Also I can just wait until its on sale at steam (sooner or later).

Mairu

rossonero said:
I don't know where to put this, but EA Store is having 50% off on everything. I'm thinking of getting BC2:Vietnam but I bought BC2 on Steam, it should still work right?
I don't see any 50% off promotions on the EA Store

scitek

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Check again.

I think I'll bite. I really prefer having all my games on Steam, but $22 ...

SapientWolf said:
Check again.

Yay!

EDIT: $22.49 is low enough that I don't care if it goes to $10 in two months. I'll have been playing it for that much longer, so it kind of balances out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Zimbardo said:
I really like the steam Client much more then the clients and set ups other DD services have. An integrated Store, Friends List with chat capabilities, and Game Manager is really nice. And Steam has some good integration to games too.

Zimbardo said:

For me, it's not all complete loyalty to Steam, but what store has the best deal. Furthermore, although Brink is Steamworks it is not a "day one" game for me. The previews for the game so far have been mixed. As for Bulletstorm, the demo had some severe performance issues on my machine, so even at $22 it is still too expensive.

If a game has a great deal, I'll buy it from any DD store or retail. Where Steam wins is in massively discounting a large portion of their games during sales. Two years ago S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was $2. No other online store has that aggressive pricing.

scitek

Lasthope106 said:
For me, it's not all complete loyalty to Steam, but what store has the best deal. Furthermore, although Brink is Steamworks it is not a "day one" game for me. The previews for the game so far have been mixed. As for Bulletstorm, the demo had some severe performance issues on my machine, so even at $22 it still too expensive.

If a game has a great deal, I'll buy it from any DD store or retail. Where Steam wins is in massively discounting a large portion of their games during sales. Two years ago S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was $2. No other online store has that aggressive pricing.

I'm the same. I have accounts from several places, and I just use Steam to launch them all. It can be somewhat of a chore to remember where I purchased a game should I need to re-download them, but once downloaded, I keep them on an external HDD so re-downloading isn't usually something I have to do.

AcridMeat

Banned
Another argument I've heard against other DD is that they fear what would happen if other services went away. Steam is so huge it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Plus there are those who prefer having all of their games in one place.

I agree it's ridiculous if the game is steamworks already to ignore other deals.

SapientWolf said:
The problem with Steam sales is that they're so ridiculous that $24 for Bulletstorm might seem spendy while it's going on. AAA titles will be going for cereal prices.
Isn't that the truth? Media folks are always talking about devaluing their product if they're priced too low, but I think that may be a fair concern. Steam has me completely spoiled with preposterous sales.

If a game I want is $10, I have to really stop and consider it because I've already got over a dozen great games that I bought for less than $5 clogging up my backlog. These days I'll buy maybe one game a year at like $30 because between the summer and winter sales Steam keeps me more than busy the rest of the year.

scitek

As long as I just keep the CD key I paid for, I know of other ways to get the game should a particular service go down. That's what keeps me from being too worried.

Zimbardo said:

It's a combination of things. I like the features Steam gives me over the others and I like keeping things under one service instead of remembering 3 or 4 passwords and what game's under what service. Steam's pretty much the main reason that I became a PC gamer.

I wouldn't mind preordering certain games on D2D that will be Steamworks but I need a 100% guarantee that it will be before I commit money to them.

Salsa

Drkirby said:

Yeah, im not religious at all and we still kinda celebrate it, same with a lot of people i know. Guess its different here.

desu

While we're on the topic of brink being so cheap on d2d.com. Anyone that can gift me the game? I would like to have the key on the us release date and not 3 days later. Could paypal the money.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Zimbardo said:

I'll give you MY reasons.

1) I can download shit again and again to as many computers as I want with little hassle. I also don't have to bother with updates, the service does them for me and, most of the times, I don't even notice it. All from one contained client.

2) Valve is not going anywhere. Good Old Games? Direct2Drive? Who runs that shit? Who can assure me that they won't be sold to the highest bidder in 2 years, which will employ retarded tactics, like "you need to pay 5 bucks to be able to re-download this game in two years". I'm not even going to get into the "this game is not available on your country" Direct2Drive bullshit I got back in the day which, as fair as I know, no longer is an issue with Direct2Drive per say, but it's in full effect on Amazon Digital.

Those are the two main reasons, to me. Reasons 3 and 4 only hold true if you accept reasons 1 and 2:

3) Constant sales that provide me with numerous awesome games for little money, which allows me to wait until the next big thing is available at a discount on that same service, which means....

4) I only need to remember one account, not 5 different accounts from 5 different stores. I also don't have to keep a spreadsheet to know from which store each game came from.

For my point of view, that's not "extreme loyalty to Steam", but preferring a platform. Those might not be reason enough for other people to prefer a game on Steam. It most certainly is MORE than enough for me to pay an extra 15 bucks so I can have a game on Steam (like your Brink example, if that was the case).

Achievements, FriendLists, VoiceChat are all nice features, but they're not really important to me, because I can just add a shortcut to Steam and get all that functionality. That wont EVER be a reason. That's why arguments like "well you can just add a shortcut to steam and have the same experience" are NEVER going to stick with me, since adding a shortcut on Steam won't instantly provide me with infinite downloads of the game from Steam servers nor it'll give me automatic updates.

I even re-bought both Battlefield 2 and Burnout Paradise on Steam (while both were highly discounted) just so I could fulfill those reasons listed above.

Edit: I'd like to add an answers to the obvious "but what if Direct2Drive offers a client that provides everything you pointed out in your reasons?". That's like asking somebody that has played wow for the past 4 years nonstop "what somebody made a game exactly like Wow, but charged 13 dollars per month instead of 15?". The amount of games I have tied up to Steam makes it unreasonable for me to "change" stores. Obviously, nothing prevents me from, hypothetically, using BOTH stores. But the offer has to be much better than "this game is 10 bucks cheaper here!" for me to give up the commodity of having everything (including the 10 bucks more expensive game) under one service.

Ionic

I was thinking about how Fable 3 is getting a release on Steam of all places. Is it possible that Microsoft is mostly interested in obtaining sales data for the title to see how sales of the game on Steam and GFWL Marketplace compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom