• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you buy a game on Steam can you still use the menu that pops up before the game starts? you know how in the past a menu would pop out for a pc game before you press play for it to start and it had some settings.

Sarcasm

hawkshockey11 said:
I guess someone doesn't want me to get Amnesia because D2D keeps failing to validate my transaction for some reason. I am going to take that as a sign...

Does it work with steam?

vocab

Syphon Filter said:
When you buy a game on Steam can you still use the menu that pops up before the game starts? you know how in the past a menu would pop out for a pc game before you press play for it to start and it had some settings.
Yes

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
NIN90 said:
Someone reccomend me a game I don't already own. I'm bored to tears. :(

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983056002

I'm struggling to think of something that's not on your list, but it looks like you have plenty of games that you haven't touched yet. I don't see any hours logged in Amnesia!

maybe this is the moment you decide to defy your impulsive urge to add another game to your library, and instead you pick something on your list and give it a shot

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hawkshockey11 said:
I guess someone doesn't want me to get Amnesia because D2D keeps failing to validate my transaction for some reason. I am going to take that as a sign...

that happened to me aswell, support suggested using another browser when doing the transaction and it worked.

at first I got errors in chrome
then I tried IE and it worked
and then I went back to chrome and could buy stuff again.

NIN90

Snuggler said:
maybe this is the moment you decide to defy your impulsive urge to add another game to your library, and instead you pick something on your list and give it a shot

But that's boring!!! I need the taste of a NEW FRESH game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sir Garbageman said:
Last Remnant has a demo, give it a shot. I personally tried it and realized it wasn't for me.
the demo for that game is terrible.

it just throws you into battle with no idea wtf is going on, all of a sudden the camera is whooshing all over the place and QTEs are happening and groups are getting flanked or intercepted and you're still trying to figure out what people can do and there are several commands you can give each squad and you're not sure how the commands work yet and AAAAAHHHHH

Game is real good once you actually get into it. And they introduce stuff over time so you're not overwhelmed.

Don't pay forty bucks for it. It's ridiculous that it hasn't dropped lower than that yet. Wait for a sale, or find a cheaper retail copy and register it on Steam.

Speaking of the time played on games, is it completely accurate? A lot of my games are way off with the times. The Witcher, for example, I've put dozens of hours into but I think it only says 8 hours.

Sanic

I'm still looking for a cheap copy of L4D1 if anyone has an extra lying around.

It would be nice if we could add packs/collections of games to our wishlist, instead of going to each game individually and adding them.

kswiston

LastWindow said:
Speaking of the time played on games, is it completely accurate? A lot of my games are way off with the times. The Witcher, for example, I've put dozens of hours into but I think it only says 8 hours.

I know that it is inaccurate for anything you played before steam started displaying those stats. I put at least 20 hours into Mount and Blade and it shows up as unplayed.

kswiston said:
I know that it is inaccurate for anything you played before steam started displaying those stats. I put at least 20 hours into Mount and Blade and it shows up as unplayed.
This is true. Also, I don't think it counts time when you're playing but not connected to the internet.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Htown said:
the demo for that game is terrible.

it just throws you into battle with no idea wtf is going on, all of a sudden the camera is whooshing all over the place and QTEs are happening and groups are getting flanked or intercepted and you're still trying to figure out what people can do and there are several commands you can give each squad and you're not sure how the commands work yet and AAAAAHHHHH
Sounds exactly like my experience with the game.

poppabk

BentMyWookiee said:
This is true. Also, I don't think it counts time when you're playing but not connected to the internet.
Games with launchers only show the time that you were on the launcher screen as well I believe.

Ionic

desu said:
For anyone that still cares, the game is on steam now!

I just downloaded the demo and I'm enjoying it. I noticed something though. In a lot of the levels, if you catch the blue bug in the blue jar there aren't enough bugs left to finish the puzzle. Perhaps when you catch that bug in the blue jar it should count towards your goal as well.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Spyn Doctor said:
This was about Your Doodles Are Bugged!:

Thanks for posting about my game! :)

Just so that there are no misunderstandings: There will be a free demo for the game, only it's not yet live in the Steam store.

Also, there will be a Steam-exclusive, time-limited, free DLC package with 5 Easter-themed bonus doodles. This too isn't live yet.

I'm chasing my contacts at Valve about both issues. Hopefully both demo and DLC will go live soon.

Doc

Game looks pretty cool. Like Lemmings but drawing shit!
I'll check out the demo when it's out and maybe buy when i get more money :)

EDIT: Also, sooo glad I didn't get Amnesia during the Potato sale. £3.25 on D2D? FUCKING YES!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
poppabk said:
Games with launchers only show the time that you were on the launcher screen as well I believe.
Not necessarily. Assassin's Creed 2 has a launcher, and that was accurate to my total game time. (Which was a lot.)

poppabk said:

Not true. Deus Ex: Invisible War had no launcher and didn't properly track my play time. Fallout 3 and New Vegas both have launchers and properly tracked my play time.

poppabk

Htown said:
Not necessarily. Assassin's Creed 2 has a launcher, and that was accurate to my total game time. (Which was a lot.)
Its definitely hit and miss then as my time for Star Wars:FU is 10 minutes, and I spent at least 3 times that just battling with the controls on the stupid destroyer QTE fight.

Spyn Doctor

Neo Member
Ionic said:
I just downloaded the demo and I'm enjoying it. I noticed something though. In a lot of the levels, if you catch the blue bug in the blue jar there aren't enough bugs left to finish the puzzle. Perhaps when you catch that bug in the blue jar it should count towards your goal as well.
The blue bug doesn't have to stay in there. It's only the fact that it jumps in once that is important. After that, you can doodle it "out" again (and then to the honey) or just restart the doodle, or leave it there if you want. :)

Doc

Volcynika

My bank is being odd and while I had three transactions for gifting Metro 2033 Thursday to three people, I check it and now only have one. But they said they haven't rejected any transactions. I'm so confuuuuuuuuused.

Spyn Doctor said:
Hi!

Since this thread is titled "STEAM- Announcements & Updates" I hope it's OK if I make a post announcing that my game Your Doodles Are Bugged! will be released on Steam on April 25th, 2011 (Easter Monday).

And by "my game" I mean exactly that: I'm just a one-man indie, no big studio, and I made almost everything in this game myself (except for the music and the English voice over). So even though this is probably quite a bit different from the games that you normally play, I hope you gaffers will give it a try (there will be a free demo of course, so no blind buying here!). Hopefully I'll see you on the leaderboards soon! :)

Oh, and there'll be an easter surprise, so make sure to check out the game during the first week after release!

Check out the game's homepage for more info: http://www.spyn-doctor.de/doodles/

Doc

Bought without trying. I hope I do not regret. :)

I just moved 100GB of games from my old computer to my new computer. Just copied and pasted the files into my Steam directory. Seems like that may have not been the right thing to do... how do I get Steam to look at those files?

steam time tracker has always been iffy for me, either says I have 2h on a game I have 20 minutes on or 20 minutes on a game I payed for half a day.

Darklord

Banned
Schmattakopf said:
I just moved 100GB of games from my old computer to my new computer. Just copied and pasted the files into my Steam directory. Seems like that may have not been the right thing to do... how do I get Steam to look at those files?

Install them, it should install the needed files to fix it up and skip the 100gb you have in there. Make sure they are all in the right spot too.

Sober

Schmattakopf said:
Are the in the right directory? Usually into \steamapps\ is where you find the gcf/ncf files, \steamapps\common\ for some of the more recent titles

Mairu

Diablohead said:
steam time tracker has always been iffy for me, either says I have 2h on a game I have 20 minutes on or 20 minutes on a game I payed for half a day.
For some games with sort of lackluster steam support it'll track the launcher for the game instead of the actual game itself (like prince of persia), so while I've played the game for hours it'll only say a few minutes.

Schmattakopf said:
Delete everything in your Steam directory except Steam.exe, \steamapps and \userdata, then re-run Steam.exe. It will re-download everything else and install and update itself.

I wish every Windows program could do that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mairu said:
For some games with sort of lackluster steam support it'll track the launcher for the game instead of the actual game itself (like prince of persia), so while I've played the game for hours it'll only say a few minutes.

I think Deus Ex Invisible War was the last one I noticed this with.

Darklord said:
Install them, it should install the needed files to fix it up and skip the 100gb you have in there. Make sure they are all in the right spot too.
Sober said:
Are the in the right directory? Usually into \steamapps\ is where you find the gcf/ncf files, \steamapps\common\ for some of the more recent titles
faceless007 said:
Delete everything in your Steam directory except Steam.exe, \steamapps and \userdata, then re-run Steam.exe. It will re-download everything else and install and update itself.

I wish every Windows program could do that.
Thankfully, I didn't need to reinstall the whole thing, I just forgot to copy over the gcf/ncf files. Everything's there now, thanks guys.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
NIN90 said:

Clones and Metal Drift get looked over a lot. Clones is basically a modern Lemmings game and Metal Drift is the best vehicular combat game on Steam. You might as well add SupCom2 to the list the next time it goes on sale for cereal prices. Iron Grip: Warlord, Sanctum and Anomaly: Warzone Earth can complete your TD collection. Section 8: Prejudice has a pre-order sale so that might be worth a look.

Salsa

NIN90 said:

You havent touched:

Psychonauts
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Recettear
Revenge of the Titans
Sam & Max Season 3
The Whispered World (wich makes me hate you cause i NEED that game)
Amnesia
And Yet it Moves
Ben There, Dan That! (play this FFS)
Braid
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Darwinia
Deus Ex
Devil May Cry 4
Dirt 2
Gish
GTAs (none of them)
Puzzle Agent

And you have BARELY played Super Meat Boy and Monkey Island 2.

All of those games listed are pretty much fantastic, you dont need to buy shit man, i mean c'mon.

Sarcasm

SalsaShark said:
You havent touched:

Psychonauts
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Recettear
Revenge of the Titans
Sam & Max Season 3
The Whispered World (wich makes me hate you cause i NEED that game)
Amnesia
And Yet it Moves
Ben There, Dan That! (play this FFS)
Braid
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Darwinia
Deus Ex
Devil May Cry 4
Dirt 2
Gish
GTAs (none of them)
Puzzle Agent

And you have BARELY played Super Meat Boy and Monkey Island 2.

All of those games listed are pretty much fantastic, you dont need to buy shit man, i mean c'mon.

Good choices to start with that backlog =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom