• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixclaws

Banned
Yeah, because I've been watching it doing the update since I thought that might be the problem, but its definitely the laptop shutting off, as I found out when I almost lost two paragraphs on a paper I was writing.

It could be overheating, since the fan does kick in, but besides the fan the actual laptop is not quite hot yet. Is it possible to either remove GFWL, since I have no interest in playing the multiplayer or patching the game outside of GFWL?

desu

So where is Spyn's game? Thought it would release today? (Are new steam games added with the usual update each day?)

garath said:
I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but I don't mind GFWL games at all. A less-than computer saavy friend and I love playing co-op games together. We've played all sorts of them on PS3 and PC. So many games are nothing but headaches to try and set up. Need to open ports, have to browse server lists, no good friend finding, etc etc.

Borderlands is the perfect example of this. It's a game that's built from the ground up with co-op in mind. However, gamespy is terrible. If you've played the game, you understand the pain. But if you haven't, let's talk about losing friend lists, friend invites not going through, inability to lock down a game and have a friend join (was an early bug), the whole service going down, port issues, etc. It took a year of patches to be anything called consistent. Even then I still wouldn't call it seamless.

On the flip side, you take a game like Resident Evil 5. Sure you have to download a separate program and create a GFWL account if you don't have one from Xbox, but we have never had an easier time playing a co-op game. It was install, sign in, install again (lol), and sign in again. Once that initial install was done it was as simple as loading up the game, bringing up the overlay and inviting my friend. He joined and we were playing seamlessly. The whole game experience was that easy.

Native steam games are pretty darn good too but other than the annoying extra installs, I'm actually a fan of the GFWL service. Certainly more than something like Gamespy.

So you're comparing shit to diarrhea...No one likes gamespy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
caliblue15 said:
What would you guys say is the best $5 game on steam right now?

Provided you aren't willing to wait for a sale...

Recent? Definitely VVVVVV. Runner-up? PB Winterbottom

Old? Civ 3? Keen Collection? The two older Oddworld games? Quake 2? The Dig? Any X-Com game?

But there's a lot of $9.99 stuff that goes on sale for under $5. Bully, Max Payne, Deus Ex--which is one of the best games of all time without any price qualifier, BioShock 1, so if you're limited to $5 very strictly, I'd consider holding out.

Ledsen

caliblue15 said:
Nope, is that the really hard puzzler?

It's a platformer, but yes, it's one of those "die over and over but respawn instantly" type games, though not even close to Super Meat Meat boy in difficulty. It has probably the best 8-bit soundtrack I've ever heard, and it's just the right length (about 3 hours). Get it, now! To give you an idea of how difficult it is, I recently replayed it, and already being pretty good at the hard parts it took me 1,5 hours to get 100%. Less than half of what it took me the first time. Granted, I knew where to go (it has a Metroidvania style layout), but you will spend a lot of time dying in your first playthrough.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Interesting little glitch I'm encountering right now. I'm downloading ME2, and trying to play ME1, but everytime I start the game up, it pauses the download of the other, and upon restarting, begins it from zero. Is there a way to make that, you know, not happen?

epmode

WanderingWind said:
Interesting little glitch I'm encountering right now. I'm downloading ME2, and trying to play ME1, but everytime I start the game up, it pauses the download of the other, and upon restarting, begins it from zero. Is there a way to make that, you know, not happen?
Sometimes that counter gets screwed up. It's probably not starting from scratch, regardless of the percentage.

WanderingWind said:
It shows how much it has left to download. You didnt lose anything, it just resets its percentage to zero and calculates it based on whats left to download.

The Last Remnant is alright. It has an excellent battle system, but the story and the characters are quite awful. It's also ridiculously long. Definitely worth the €10 I payed for it, though.

Relax.MX

Friends need help .. Apparently my graphics card died ... : (

This is my pc:

Q6600
5GB ram
9800GT
Windows Vista

The problem is that out of nowhere (i was on these forums) when the screen stopped working, restart the computer, but nothing...is looks very bad, almost not visible.

Seeing the graphics card is disabled and i receive the code 43.

People help me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Princess Skittles said:
Are there any good console-like RPGs/JRPGs on Steam?

Recettear is a pretty neat little game. It's got a Japanese aesthetic, it's one part item shop simulation (although a very different type of sim than the DQ4 item shop chapter), one part JRPG-style dungeon crawler.

Running the item shop:
sdCPr.jpg

In a dungeon:
tn9Za.jpg

Neither the visual style nor the gameplay is my cup of tea, but it's well made!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Warrior_Keoni said:
I think the Last Remnant is a good example but in terms of a good game...that's a bit difficult for me to really tell you about...
Oh yeaaah.. I forgot that was on Steam.

It's supposed to be SaGa-like, so I'd probably like it.

Zzoram

Relax.MX said:

This is my pc:

Q6600
5GB ram
9800GT
Windows Vista

The problem is that out of nowhere (i was on these forums) when the screen stopped working, restart the computer, but nothing...is looks very bad, almost not visible.

People help me.

take out the card, boot into safe mode windows, uninstall graphics driver, turn off.

borrow a friend's video card, put it in, install drivers, see if PC works fine

if so, you just proved your GPU died so go buy an HD6870 or GTX560 and enjoy The Witcher 2 maxed in a month

rac

Banned
poppabk said:
What is wrong with the online?
Had to turn the video settings all the way down just to play with my friend and even then the lag was unbearable.

Edit: I don't know why I keep buying nba 2k when there is always so much problems with online.

Minsc

Gold Member
Princess Skittles said:
Are there any good console-like RPGs/JRPGs on Steam?

The Witcher at times, despite looking nothing like it at a glance, can feel a little JRPG-ish to some. Very strong focus on story, generally linear areas to explore, tons of side-quests with built in map-tracking, very large towns, automatic journal entries, and an easy battle system with a powerful leveling mechanism.

Plus the sequel's due out as you are no doubt aware due to the numerous threads, and will be have full gamepad support.

desu

Spyn Doctor said:
Hi!

Since this thread is titled "STEAM- Announcements & Updates" I hope it's OK if I make a post announcing that my game Your Doodles Are Bugged! will be released on Steam on April 25th, 2011 (Easter Monday).

And by "my game" I mean exactly that: I'm just a one-man indie, no big studio, and I made almost everything in this game myself (except for the music and the English voice over). So even though this is probably quite a bit different from the games that you normally play, I hope you gaffers will give it a try (there will be a free demo of course, so no blind buying here!). Hopefully I'll see you on the leaderboards soon! :)

Oh, and there'll be an easter surprise, so make sure to check out the game during the first week after release!

Check out the game's homepage for more info: http://www.spyn-doctor.de/doodles/

Doc

boxArt.jpg

For anyone that still cares, the game is on steam now!

Relax.MX

Relax.MX said:

This is my pc:

Q6600
5GB ram
9800GT
Windows Vista

People help me.

EDIT:

Nevermind...is good now...i just change the connector..(the graphic card had 2) jeje

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
jaundicejuice said:
Speaking of jrpgs, I can't believe that Falcom's games aren't on Steam. They are a PC developer, fan translation patches already exist for many of their games, they have an extensive back catalogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_Falcom

I'd love to be able to play a localised version of Xanadu Next.
They WERE a PC developer. They are a PSP developer now (though it is rumored that they have PS3 devkits now, although they are VERY low budget, so I don't see what they'd really do with them).

Xanadu NEXT kicks all sorts of serious ass though.

Princess Skittles said:
It's supposed to be SaGa-like, so I'd probably like it.

It combines a lot of the SaGa qualities (weird advancement systems and inscruable numbers) with some strong elements from recent RPGs (tons of huge explorable fields and semi-non-linear exploration like FFXII, encounter linking system) and some neat innovative stuff (like a really cool mass-battle system.) It's got a linear "plot progression" but 2/3rds of the gameplay is a wide range of fun, cool, and diverse sidequests. The main character sucks a lot but otherwise it's a great game that I recommend strongly. In addition, the Steam version runs far far far better than the 360 version and has a variety of balance tweaks and system changes that I personally consider to be a significant overall improvement over the 360 version.

But yeah, I'd definitely recommend it without reservation to anyone who likes SaGa as a series.

garath

Gully State said:
So you're comparing shit to diarrhea...No one likes gamespy.

I'm not going to get into the virtues of the different PC multiplayer platforms out there in a STEAM thread but what I compared is works to doesn't work.

Even steam isn't flawless. I've seen some issues with the smaller indie games and steamworks. Sanctum for one.

vocab

jaundicejuice said:
Speaking of jrpgs, I can't believe that Falcom's games aren't on Steam. They are a PC developer, fan translation patches already exist for many of their games, they have an extensive back catalogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_Falcom

I'd love to be able to play a localised version of Xanadu Next.

The fact that none of the Ys games are on steam shows how out of the loop some of these Japanese devs are. Oath in Felgana would easily do 100k+ units.

bigace33

K.Jack said:
Would someone PLEASE put this in the OP?
lol thanks for this. I went ahead and tried before I got my clear answer of no.

edit, this is almost finished downloading already. 60% in like 10 minutes. Not gonna touch it until it's dark outside and my wife and son are sleep. ;)

hawkshockey11 said:
I want to buy, but I'm afraid I will chicken out and it will sit on my drive for ever...

Haha, that's what happened to me. I got about halfway through and just stopped.

I wish there were a demo for Sanctum. I'd love to try it out.

desu

Oh yeah once again, since quite a few people were buying Brink from d2d.com, is there anyone that could gift me the game? Dont really want to wait for the uk release.

I guess someone doesn't want me to get Amnesia because D2D keeps failing to validate my transaction for some reason. I am going to take that as a sign...

bigace33 said:
Not gonna touch it until it's dark outside and my wife and son are sleep. ;)

Make sure to bring a teddy bear because your going to need some company or you might go mad!

btw I still haven't beaten "Justine," that side game is brutal.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
hawkshockey11 said:
I want to buy, but I'm afraid I will chicken out and it will sit on my drive for ever...
GAF should have a "Lets play Amnesia together" thread one day. That's probably the only way I'll ever play it.

LastWindow said:
I wish there were a demo for Sanctum. I'd love to try it out.
There's an old alpha on the "Make something Unreal" page.

Spyn Doctor

Neo Member
This was about Your Doodles Are Bugged!:
desu said:
For anyone that still cares, the game is on steam now!
Thanks for posting about my game! :)

Just so that there are no misunderstandings: There will be a free demo for the game, only it's not yet live in the Steam store.

Also, there will be a Steam-exclusive, time-limited, free DLC package with 5 Easter-themed bonus doodles. This too isn't live yet.

I'm chasing my contacts at Valve about both issues. Hopefully both demo and DLC will go live soon.

Doc

Spyn Doctor

Neo Member
Spyn Doctor said:
Also, there will be a Steam-exclusive, time-limited, free DLC package with 5 Easter-themed bonus doodles. This too isn't live yet.
I was wrong saying that the DLC is not yet live. Actually, the DLC package is already online. It automatically installs together with the game - that is, if you buy the game while this Easter-special DLC is still available (it is planned to be available for only a week or so). The bonus doodles show up in your doodle portfolio (in the doodle studio).

desu said:
Already bought a copy right when it turned up :D.
Cool! Thanks! :cool:

Doc

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The demo appears to be up for Your Doodles Are Bugged!

Downloading now, I hope it turns into a purchase.

The level art scales pretty nicely and it seems interesting enough so I grabbed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom