• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Arma II is a very niche game and only for those who want an extremely hardcore military sim.

It was not for me.

Evan on PCG podcast always makes it sound so awesome though....

plc268

Gah!! Again, Bohemia practically gives away Arma II with the purchase of Operation Arrowhead. I feel like that they never give their early adopters (i.e. the ones that bought their original game for $50) any decent deals.

Eh, whatever though. My wallet is safe for another day.

plc268 said:
Gah!! Again, Bohemia practically gives away Arma II with the purchase of Operation Arrowhead. I feel like that they never give their early adopters (i.e. the ones that bought their original game for $50) any decent deals.

Eh, whatever though. My wallet is safe for another day.
Yep. I was excited when I saw ARMA 2 and 80% off. Then I saw Arrowhead at 40% off and became sad.

Not steam but D2D has DCUO on sale for around $21 w/ 15% off. Is it worth a buy? I've been reading a lot of Green Lantern comics and was considering grabbing the game.

Haeleos

The most enjoyment you will get from ARMA is by joining a clan, creating missions and running as an organized group... it's almost a roleplaying game if you want it to be. In comparison to the single player content that comes with the game, it is night and day, and easier to get into than you think.

Here's a couple video examples of infantry missions from a group I'm in that were set up in a couple minutes with mods and the mission editor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3CoUnEhcKo (end of a mission where the player dies)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjvZnsAAT0o (no combat in this one, just showing the set up and the travel)

If you judge the game solely based on the demo, you're going to most likely come away disappointed. If you put some effort into it, and embrace the community around the game, you will be rewarded with one of the most authentic, amazing and hardcore gaming experiences ever.

Haeleos said:
If you judge the game solely based on the demo, you're going to most likely come away disappointed. If you put some effort into it, and embrace the community around the game, you will be rewarded with one of the most authentic, amazing and hardcore gaming experiences ever.

Yeah, it seemed pretty bad from the demo. It also runs like poop.

chixdiggit

mikespit1200 said:
Not steam but D2D has DCUO on sale for around $21 w/ 15% off. Is it worth a buy? I've been reading a lot of Green Lantern comics and was considering grabbing the game.

I really liked it at first but haven't touched it in a long while. I would say it's worth it at that price since it does come with a month for free.

TheExodu5

Banned
DCUO is the worst MMO to have come out in a long while. Avoid.

eznark said:
Evan on PCG podcast always makes it sound so awesome though....

These types of games offer experiences you can't get anywhere else. They simply demand a lot more from the player than your average game.

The most engrossing games out there tend to be like this: Mount & Blade, Europa Universalis III, EVE Online, etc...

If you have the motivation to learn the game, then by all means, go for it. Personally, I thought I did, but the performance and sluggish controls made it difficult to want to press on. I'm sure if I were to have someone show me around the game proper I would have fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
no Duke pre-order :(

It's for your protection.

I loved Duke back in the day, but no way in hell I'm taking a gamble on this one. Unless it turns out totally different than I expect, I'll wait until it drops to $20 or so.

^^^Oh neat, more Magicka DLC.

looks like it's a horde survival mode with zombies, not exactly the most original concept but it's probably a hoot

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Followup on a Steam IM conversation I had earlier:

Is there a list of "borderless fullscreen" games on Steam? It's really awesome when you've got dual monitors to be able to play a game in full screen on one monitor while not losing focus on the other monitor.

Salsa

Stumpokapow said:

Is there a list of "borderless fullscreen" games on Steam? It's really awesome when you've got dual monitors to be able to play a game in full screen on one monitor while not losing focus on the other monitor.

hah, i actually looked for something like that after we had that conversation but i couldnt find anything :/

Sanic

Haeleos said:
The most enjoyment you will get from ARMA is by joining a clan, creating missions and running as an organized group... it's almost a roleplaying game if you want it to be. In comparison to the single player content that comes with the game, it is night and day, and easier to get into than you think.

So is the base MP component not worthwhile? Or just that most will get more out of the game with a clan and good custom content?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Stumpokapow said:

All of the source games can do it, i have -windowed -w1080 -h1920 -noborder on all of them.

Jabronie

Neo Member
Stumpokapow said:

I have an alternate solution. Have you tried using a program called WinSpy++? Essentially this will remove the borders off of windowed applications.

When running the program you'll have to click and drag the cursor over your desired applicated, go to the styles tab, click the ellipses on the top, click WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW so it isn't blue, and then press apply.

This works best with first person shooter as the curser in game can be disjointed a few pixels above where it should be.

chixdiggit

Stumpokapow said:
when you've got dual monitors .

Don't know of any list but I have another dual screen question. Say my main screen is monitor 1. How do I launch a game from Steam on monitor 2 without making monitor 2 my main screen?

camerooni

Neo Member
Don't know of any list but I have another dual screen question. Say my main screen is monitor 1. How do I launch a game from Steam on monitor 2 without making monitor 2 my main screen?
Ultramon ;)
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

You can set 'all' programs by default to open on a particular monitor, or set individually per program, or have it remember 'last used'.

Nice bonus is it lets you easily make a wallpaper to suit your individual monitors to have a different background on each screen.

'Tis not free - but worth it.

[Edit: Oooh and it also puts a second taskbar along the second monitor so you can only show programs running on that screen on that taskbar and it removes them from the main monitor :D best use ever]

Salsa

chixdiggit said:

Like mentioned, UltraMon.

Personally though i just use the one i want to use as my main and move the taskbar over to the other one. Works best. Also UltraMon isnt really freeware.

camerooni

Neo Member
SalsaShark said:
Also UltraMon isnt really freeware.

It has a cost sure - but for what it does.. buy once and enjoy =)

Granted a lot of these features should be standard and built into windows by now - It's surprising that they're not.. but we pay for those things that we value - and this 'is' valuable. I can't go back to wrangling with multiple monitors without it - bought a second licence to use at work as my old employer (games studio - so not surprising) was too cheap to get it for us :p

TheBear

Is Arma II worth the plunge? How's the single player? Is Operation Arrowhead much of an improvement or just more of the same?

Does anyone have the Dreamcast collection? If you have sega bass fishing can you check if the new update from today fixed the config and save issues?

Hi guys some steam assistance is needed.

I just bought a physical copy of Left 4 Dead 2, installed it through steam and everything went fine, but now it tells me i need to download another 6gb of data to play the game. The download screen says 5.8gb/11.1gb downloaded.

I am ready to hulk smash my laptop, the whole reason i bought a physical copy is because i have a download cap, this is just insanity.

kamspy

Will Steam ArmA 2 DLC work with a boxed copy? I expect to see everyone on my friends list with a *** Now owns ARMA 2 by the end of the week.

Fredescu

Fix The Scientist said:
I just bought a physical copy of Left 4 Dead 2, installed it through steam and everything went fine, but now it tells me i need to download another 6gb of data to play the game. The download screen says 5.8gb/11.1gb downloaded.
Patches. What's on the disk isn't the latest version and that's that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Fix The Scientist said:

I am ready to hulk smash my laptop, the whole reason i bought a physical copy is because i have a download cap, this is just insanity.
It's extra content that came out after the game was shipped, and having a bunch of L4D1 assets and shitty community maps takes up a lot of space.

Nabs

Fix The Scientist said:

Left 4 Dead 2 has had a good number of updates.

Fredescu

Fix The Scientist said:
Over 6 GB of patches and updates?? Unacceptable.
I live with bandwidth caps too, so I get where you're coming from, but what you're complaining about is a developer giving away free stuff.

camerooni

Neo Member
Fredescu said:
I live with bandwidth caps too, so I get where you're coming from, but what you're complaining about is a developer giving away free stuff.
He may be complaining about the fact that he can't play the base game that is 'on the disc' as he had to connect online with steam to unlock the game, which then says oh hey.. no game for you until you update. If the patch wasn't forced on him - he may have been able to play the game 'gasp' singleplayer while he waited for the patch to download.. the shock and horror of wanting to play what should be a 'full' game, from the disc.

(Granted Left 4 Dead is more of a multiplayer game, so he would have to download the patches to get online, but surely it would be nice to be able to get a feel for how the game plays before going online? Especially since it sounds like he may not have any more downloads until the start of his next billing cycle*)

*Currently being on capped internet of 28.8k until the end of the month - I know how he feels.. (My 'High-Speed' cable broadband is speed limited if you hit your cap prior to the end of the billing cycle - some plans speed limit to 28.8k, some 64k - but all crap real world speeds of 'it's time to tether to your mobile phone plan just to be able to check your emails').

Edited - for clarity of how sucky capped internet plans can be - before all the 'youze net sukz, get a better internetz' responses.

Fredescu said:
I'm complaining about 6 GB worth of "free stuff" that makes the product i paid for unusable.

kamspy

Fix The Scientist said:
I'm complaining about 6 GB worth of "free stuff" that makes the product i paid for unusable.

You could download it from a wifi hotspot, work, internet cafe, mcdonalds... etc.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I have no clue why, but my Macbook crashed the other day (which never happens, it freaked me out) and now Steam causes a total hang that can only be gotten out of with a manual restart. Even force-quit doesn't work. Oh, and even though Steam is removed from my start-up items, it still boots on launch, so I have to force-quit it lightning fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom