• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

ctw0e said:
Well, I can't get past the first level and it seems like there are a few who have the same problem, if that's any indication.

Ugh.

I can usually get older games running, but how do the gfx hold up? Is it about on the same level as Chaos Theory?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
stuminus3 said:
Oh sweet, Still Life 2 is on Steam now. Both Still Life games @ 20% off this week.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5594/

Awesome! I just finished playing Still Life not too long ago. Ugh, that ending. Too bad I can't afford to buy it right now, I might have to wait until summer sale and see if it's discounted then.

Also, I just noticed Samarost 2 popping up in my library. I know I had it from the HIB, but it was never added on Steam. Is this a new change, or am I late in noticing it? I categorized my games a few days ago so now it's really obvious when something new appears...

Speaking of which, I also noticed The Path disappeared from my list about a week ago. Nothing seems to help. I guess it is contact Steam time.

Mimir

Lissar said:
Also, I just noticed Samarost 2 popping up in my library. I know I had it from the HIB, but it was never added on Steam. Is this a new change, or am I late in noticing it? I categorized my games a few days ago so now it's really obvious when something new appears...
It was just added. The HIB site states that it's not included with Steam, but they'd like to fix that. I guess they finally got it resolved.

Detox

ctw0e said:
Well, I can't get past the first level and it seems like there are a few who have the same problem, if that's any indication.
Do you mean the tutorial or the actual level after that? I can't find a way to play in 1080p it just goes straight to 1200.

Carm

Can someone that owns Magicka do me a favor. Start a new game, space bar through the text till you control your character for the first time. When walking around does the game stutter?

I haven't played the game for a patch or two and earlier when I started game, it stutters pretty much every step in fullscreen mode. It doesn't do it in window mode, but in windowed there is a wierd windblind tiling effect going on. I've reinstalled the game, XNA and switched to older video drivers and still the same thing, so I'm hoping this happens for everyone at least, still annoying if so.

Why? Thief works perfectly fine on Win7 x64, I'm playing it right now.

Only issue I have is I can't get up ladders easily because I'm doing something wrong, and the aforementioned HD resolution issues.

It's a great game only surpassed by the originals, and it has an element of horror. Love it.

epmode

Carm said:
Can someone that owns Magicka do me a favor. Start a new game, space bar through the text till you control your character for the first time. When walking around does the game stutter?

I haven't played the game for a patch or two and earlier when I started game, it stutters pretty much every step in fullscreen mode. It doesn't do it in window mode, but in windowed there is a wierd windblind tiling effect going on. I've reinstalled the game, XNA and switched to older video drivers and still the same thing, so I'm hoping this happens for everyone at least, still annoying if so.
I get this stutter at high resolutions but it only shows up after I'm partially through a chapter. Makes no sense. Not sure if the newest patch helped though!

Nabs

Carm said:

I have d3doverrider running and the game is pretty smooth. I did have stuttering issues earlier today, but that was with MLAA enabled and D3D disabled. It might have just been because of the MLAA.

Carm

Already using d3doverrider. Kinda annoying, it was running smooth before, and does so in windowed but not in fullscreen now.

epmode

Oh man, new adventure games. Anyone familiar with Still Life 1 and 2?

And since I'm pretty sure they're not originally in English, how is the localization?

Oreoleo

Carm said:
Already using d3doverrider. Kinda annoying, it was running smooth before, and does so in windowed but not in fullscreen now.

Does -noborder work along with -windowed ? I'm not sure if that only works for Source games or not.

epmode

I'm pretty sure that the stuttering has more to do with the resolution than it does with fullscreen/windowed. But it's not exactly low performance. It doesn't look anything like a low framerate.

Detox said:
Do you mean the tutorial or the actual level after that? I can't find a way to play in 1080p it just goes straight to 1200.
Yes, I think that was the tutorial. I managed to play it in 1080p through this method and it works great, but once it loads the level after the tutorial I get a black screen and can't do anything.

Of course, I can't tell if this applies for everyone or even if it's related to Win 7 x64, but I've tried almost everything and no success.

Carm

epmode said:
I'm pretty sure that the stuttering has more to do with the resolution than it does with fullscreen/windowed. But it's not exactly low performance. It doesn't look anything like a low framerate.

Oh, it's definitely not a low framerate. It's like the stutter in Gamebyro games, if you've seen that. As for different resolutions, I switched between them in fullscreen and they all stuttered.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
epmode said:
Oh man, new adventure games. Anyone familiar with Still Life 1 and 2?

And since I'm pretty sure they're not originally in English, how is the localization?

The localization is decent if a little awkward at times (one character was particularly badly done. I can't remember any of the characters' names, but you can tell who I mean immediately.) Better than Syberia though, which constantly made me cringe. I really liked the first one (haven't played the second one yet.) I love how it plays out in two different eras with two different characters, but are still connected. Unfortunately it ends on the most annoying cliffhanger. I guess that would be resolved if you bought both at the same time.

epmode

Carm said:
Oh, it's definitely not a low framerate. It's like the stutter in Gamebyro games, if you've seen that. As for different resolutions, I switched between them in fullscreen and they all stuttered.
Oh :(

I know that I get the stutter halfway through chapter one at my native resolution but nothing at 720p.

1-D_FTW

Just finished SC: Conviction campaign. Aside from Baghdad, that was pretty good. I don't trust uplay any further than I can throw it and won't pay more than rental prices for their games, but it was definitely a good deal at 6.75.

Detox

Thief works fine for me and I'm also running Win 7 x64. I found a fix for the resolution issue on Through The Looking Glass forums first you download this. The tool replaces one of the 5 preset resolutions in the game with your own choice. Also apply the crash fix which stops the game from crashing due to some looping error when using widescreen resolutions. Then download the FOV patch here type in your resolution and it will adjust the FOV.

Sanic

Fuzzy said:

It was down when I made the post, and even though the website is back up now, I still can't connect. Hmmm. Client restart didn't fix the issue.

edit: nevermind, we're up.

Sanic

CoD:BLOPS free weekend!

M2X8Z.png

TheExodu5

Banned
So how's Cities XL 2011?

lowrider007 said:
How does VVVVVV's difficulty level compare with Super Meat Boy?

It's tricky, but nowhere near as difficult. The game still expects you to die repeatedly though. The hardest section of the game probably comes close to the first section of The Guy's bonus level in SMB. I think it took me around 30 minutes to beat that section.

The input lag makes it harder than need be, though.

Sanic

Snuggler said:
Cool, I'm down. Just MP, right? Can I play the zombie stuff?

Looks like just MP, and if it's anything like the console versions than zombies is part of the SP executable, which would mean no zombies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Stumpokapow said:
They're both easy, but VVVVVV is easier.

Either I suck or you're a wizard, but yeah, VVVVVV is definitely easier. Aside from the one part people keep referring to, which left me a crumpled, defeated mess, it's not terribly difficult. You die a lot, but checkpoints are very close together so muscle memory will kick in pretty fast.

Sanic

I guess the preload isn't up yet? The ad just redirects me to the store page, instead of showing a download prompt.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pandoracell said:
I guess the preload isn't up yet? The ad just redirects me to the store page, instead of showing a download prompt.

Can't find it either, and I haven't got the update pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom