• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinberg

Neo Member
Just got a new iMac and are looking for some good games to play on it.
Preferably games that are on the mac side of the steam store. I play almost everything so hit me with your best suggestions!

What I already have:
Back to the Future The Game
Braid
Gish
Half-Life 2 + the episodes
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Osmos
Penumbra: Overture
Plants Vs. Zombies GOTY Edition
Portal 1&2
CIV IV + V
Tales of Money Island
Team Fortress 2
Torchlight
Trine
World of Goo

Oreoleo

kinberg said:
Preferably games that are on the mac side of the steam store. I play almost everything so hit me with your best suggestions!

What I already have:
Braid
Gish
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Osmos
Portal 1&2
CIV IV + V
Tales of Money Island
Team Fortress 2
Torchlight
Trine
World of Goo

Just going through the Mac games section looking for notable absences:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Peggle/Peggle Nights
Toki Tori
VVVVVVVVV

(Holy crap, get VVVVVVVVVVV)

Nabs

Amnesia
Frozen Synapse
Spacechem
VVVVVV
Orellio said:
Just going through the Mac games section looking for notable absences:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Peggle/Peggle Nights
Toki Tori
VVVVVVVVV

(Holy crap, get VVVVVVVVVVV)

Crap! Toki Tori is great

kinberg said:

What I already have:
Braid
Gish
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Osmos
Portal 1&2
CIV IV + V
Tales of Money Island
Team Fortress 2
Torchlight
Trine
World of Goo

You have nearly everything I have plus a few things I don't. So....good taste :p

I really have been digging Terraria lately, but that's PC only right now (I use bootcamp to play it). Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest.

kinberg said:

What I already have:
Braid
Gish
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Osmos
Portal 1&2
CIV IV + V
Tales of Money Island
Team Fortress 2
Torchlight
Trine
World of Goo
And Yet It Moves
Fortix (only $0.99)
Garry's Mod
Toki Tori
Zen Bound 2 (especially if you have a Magic Trackpad)

TheExodu5

Banned
kinberg said:

What I already have:
Braid
Gish
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Osmos
Portal 1&2
CIV IV + V
Tales of Money Island
Team Fortress 2
Torchlight
Trine
World of Goo

Make sure to get Penumbra: Black Plague after you beat Overture. You really should play Overture first, but Black Plague is a much better game. Black Plague is one of the best PC games I have ever played. I like it quite a bit more than Amnesia, tbh.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Princess Skittles said:
I grabbed Hamilton's Great Adventure, but will not have time to play it until the weekend.

Stallion Free's hype did not help, LOL.
I 100%ed World 1 of 4 but there are about 6 bonus level just for world 1 and I have only done one and they are pretty devious for 100%ing. Timing also becomes fairly important by world 2. Good good stuff.

So yeah, you are looking at around 60+ levels total if they all match world 1 and quite a few took around 10+ minutes. Sick deal at 9$.

PaulLFC

Anyone else's Steam Overlay not working with Cities XL 2011? The CD key box doesn't close when I press Shift + Tab, and the overlay doesn't open either.

samoset

PaulLFC said:
Anyone else's Steam Overlay not working with Cities XL 2011? The CD key box doesn't close when I press Shift + Tab, and the overlay doesn't open either.
yeah I had to temporarily change the key bindings of the steam tab to get it to work. For some reason the default of shift+tab doesn't work.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm sad that expansion packs are called DLCs in steam.

Also, lol 40 dollars? Sims 3: Generations expansion pack is only 20 dollars here.

MNC

Ugh, VVVVVV. I already have this game and completed this multiple times! :p Awesome game, but takes like 1,5 hours to complete.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
VVVVVV was my Game of the Year last year.

Here's what I said about it in the GOTY Vote thread (click for my full top ten):
This is the best platformer released in the last decade. There's absolutely no fat. Mechanics are introduced, tested, refined, developed, plumbed, and discarded within 10 minutes, and it feels totally organic. The open world feels even better than Super Metroid, and the individual world-segments are beautifully self-contained. Every single platforming puzzle works. Of the entire game, there is only one single screen that I feel is suboptimal. It doesn't overstay its welcome; it has about 3-4 hours worth of content, and that's exactly how long it'll take you. Every screen makes your grin wider as you realize that, yes, they did just pull that trick out of the bag. There's something to be said for perfectly executed modesty. What's wonderful is that despite the handful of mechanics, they all descend from one base mechanic--you can flip from ceiling to floor or vice versa but can't change directions during a flip. The crown jewel is an optional sequence called "Veni, Vidi, Vici" which is the single most challenging sequence I've played in a game in years and so so satisfying when you beat it. What's most poignant about the VVV sequence (and thus VVVVVV as a whole) is that the theme of being able to do these amazing space flips but not even make a little hop causes both thematic frustration--I can see that damn shiny trinket, why the hell can't I climb over this block and get there--and puzzle-related frustration. Wonderful.

For $2.49, I can't recommend it highly enough. You owe it to yourself to try to this game. It's short, it's cheap, it'll run on a netbook. There barrier to entry could not possibly be lower. You really should buy this game.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Buy VVVVVV, enjoy life.

1664520-viridian_thumb.png

This game is just a pure joy. I haven't been this happy with a game since my youth. Everything is just crafted just so. The world, characters, music, mechanics, titles, my god. Just so beautiful.

VVVVVV is fantastic. Please, everyone go out and buy this game. Its very hard sometimes, but its a great platformer with a kick ass soundtrack.

Wow guys slow down enough praise.... holy hell why won't you just let me glance over this title and never give it a second chance..... I was happy to do so..

Now... now I can't stop listening to that song Snuggler.... bought, damn it.

I got VVVVVV and Thief today. They both finally hit the prices I wanted to pay for them.

For some reason I also now own Samorost 2?
I don't remember buying Samorost 2...

balladofwindfishes said:
I got VVVVVV and Thief today. They both finally hit the prices I wanted to pay for them.

For some reason I also now own Samorost 2?
I don't remember buying Samorost 2...

Humble Indie Bundle 1 had Samorost 2

VVVVVV bought!

Salsa

dont buy VVVVVV, its terrible, overrated piece of crap

not

HAHHAHAHAHAH.. hhahah

get it, one of my favorite platformers of all time

Volcynika

Things like this VVVVVV deal just makes me annoyed about Steam. What if I want to buy multiple copies at once to gift, I can't! So a lot of separate transactions.

(Still, get VVVVVV. It is awesome)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Volcynika said:
Things like this VVVVVV deal just makes me annoyed about Steam. What if I want to buy multiple copies at once to gift, I can't! So a lot of separate transactions.

(Still, get VVVVVV. It is awesome)

Heh, having to use the 1-click checkout process multiple times to buy multiple copies of the same game is like... the epitome of a non-issue ;)

Volcynika

Stumpokapow said:
Heh, having to use the 1-click checkout process multiple times to buy multiple copies of the same game is like... the epitome of a non-issue ;)

I'd just rather do it in one big transaction, like those multi-game packs last year! My bank calls me when I gift a lot of a cheap game, would just be less of a hassle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom