• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

jling84 said:
Why is that? Is it because it's an older game?
GOG's whole deal is that they give the old games the respect they deserve. Not only do they release each game with little extras (full manuals, art books, soundtracks, etc), they'll even go back to tweak the old code (if it's available) to remove glitches with new operating systems.

Steam and most other DD sites don't bother with any of that because their focus is on newer stuff.
MacGurcules said:
Have you tried running System Shock 2, lately? It's pretty much broken these days.
On the off chance that you don't know, System Shock 2, Thief 1 and Thief 2 are all very playable in Win 7 64 with an easy tweak: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Guys, I'm trying to play Hitman: Blood Money on Steam right now, but when I start a game the brightness goes WAY down and I can't see anything. Turning the brightness up hasn't resolved the issue. The entire screen goes black besides a foggy light source in the distance (the sun, I presume). The cutscene that plays during the training intro is fine, however. What the fuck?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SalsaShark said:
huh, so i guess this doesnt mean Activision coming to terms with Steam, and learning somewhat how to use it.

This plus the Singularity sale being reasonably priced made me think they were gettin on track.

How foolish of me.
Activision with Call of Duty was one of the first big companies to release a retail Steamworks game. They just don't like discounting their products.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Drkirby said:
Activision with Call of Duty was one of the first big companies to release a retail Steamworks game. They just don't like discounting their products.
It would be a stupid move for them (as a company interested in making money) to drop the price if it sells at 60$ (which it does). The same thing happens with Blizzard games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stallion Free said:
It would be a stupid move for them (as a company interested in making money) to drop the price if it sells at 60$ (which it does). The same thing happens with Blizzard games.
Blizzard at times will actually increase the price of their games, like the Starcraft 1 box (Which was $10 for years till they upped it to $20 again)

Still wish I could buy Frozen Throne for less then $20, expansion is 8 year old.

Drkirby said:
Blizzard at times will actually increase the price of their games, like the Starcraft 1 box (Which was $10 for years till they upped it to $20 again)

Still wish I could buy Frozen Throne for less then $20, expansion is 8 year old.

It goes on sale pretty often on Amazon and Gamestop. You can register the key and tie it to your Blizzard account. I got the entire Warcraft 3 Battle Chest for $10 I think.

Forkball

I think the Diablo II battlechest went up $10 after Diablo III was released.

So I guess Magicka's multiplayer community is dead. I tried yesterday and got zero servers, but I thought it was a bug. Today the most I've seen at one time is four.

Forkball said:
So I guess Magicka's multiplayer community is dead. I tried yesterday and got zero servers, but I thought it was a bug. Today the most I've seen at one time is four.

Treat Magicka like Left 4 Dead and only play with friends.

XeroSauce

Forkball said:
I think the Diablo II battlechest went up $10 after Diablo III was released.

Local co-op is where it's at.

Because you can punch the asshole who keeps doing Meteors. :)

Blizzard

Banned
I gave the VVVVVV demo a shot. I beat both levels and got all the shinies, I think. I am going to pass on the game though. The music is pretty awesome, but I don't care for spikes, dying a lot, or hard games (where "hard games" should probably be defined for me as "most games"). :p

*edit* Just for reference, I don't think I noticed control lag, but the slidey-on-landing effect was rather annoying. I'm not even a fan of that sort of thing in Mario games.

Started playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory last night and didn't realize that the PC version is different to the PS2 version.

While the levels are pretty similiar they are different, appears it's just the layout of the levels so far with the story and objectives being the same.

Sober

DualShadow said:
Started playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory last night and didn't realize that the PC version is different to the PS2 version.

While the levels are pretty similiar they are different, appears it's just the layout of the levels so far with the story and objectives being the same.
Whereas I wished the PC version got the GCN/PS2 version of Double Agent instead, because apparently it is better than the 360 version (a dog crapping on my foot would be better than the money I spent on that)

Sober said:
Whereas I wished the PC version got the GCN/PS2 version of Double Agent instead, because apparently it is better than the 360 version (a dog crapping on my foot would be better than the money I spent on that)

Yeah I personally preferred the PS2 version of double agent.

So far im preferring the PS2 version of Chaos Theory as well, the environments seem a little rushed in this PC version.

3chopl0x said:
Just saw this on my twitter feed
Ooh! I just noticed 2 games appear in my Steam library - BoDVII and CSTW. I bet this means that the pages for them are almost ready. :)

Awesome!

commissar said:
What would BoDVII and CSTW stand for?

Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World. Two indie RPG's that were originally on the 360's indie game section.

I just played a little Vegas 2 co-op with a friend. I did not expect that to be such a bad looking and feeling game. I think we're gonna give it another shot, but that was ridiculous.

plc268

Schmattakopf said:
I just played a little Vegas 2 co-op with a friend. I did not expect that to be such a bad looking and feeling game. I think we're gonna give it another shot, but that was ridiculous.

You sure you're not playing Vegas 1? Vegas 1 looks and aged terribly, and the graphics are blurry as fuck. Vegas 2 doesn't look that bad, but if you're not liking it, stay far away from Vegas 1.

Salsa

I played a bit of Vegas 1 coop with 2 other friends on Realistic and it was fun for the most part.

Even by just the fact of it being a 3 (up to 4) player coop game. Too bad 2 takes that away.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
MrOogieBoogie said:
Guys, I'm trying to play Hitman: Blood Money on Steam right now, but when I start a game the brightness goes WAY down and I can't see anything. Turning the brightness up hasn't resolved the issue. The entire screen goes black besides a foggy light source in the distance (the sun, I presume). The cutscene that plays during the training intro is fine, however. What the fuck?

Anyone have any ideas?

plc268 said:
You sure you're not playing Vegas 1? Vegas 1 looks and aged terribly, and the graphics are blurry as fuck. Vegas 2 doesn't look that bad, but if you're not liking it, stay far away from Vegas 1.
Well damn. I got both because I heard 1 was better and they were 3.39 each. We were definitely playing Vegas 2, because that's all my friend has.

I can totally get through the mediocre graphics, but the feel of the movement and weapons was just really bad.

cicero

jling84 said:
Why is that? Is it because it's an older game?
MacGurcules said:
Yeah, and because GoG actually does some work to make sure the games they sell run on modern equipment. Steam does not.

Have you tried running System Shock 2, lately? It's pretty much broken these days. No way Steam could sell it as is.
This is it exactly. GoG actually pulled Moto Racer 2 from their library after release because it had major errors, everyone who bought it got $6 credit, plus they still kept Moto Racer 2 in their personal library. GoG promised to fix the issue and they did, and only after the fix was it available again for purchase. Unfortunately I have not found a similar level of response by Valve to the numerous compatibility/performance/bug issues found in so many of the games, it seems like many times Valve has a somewhat indifferent attitude towards support. GoG makes the effort to get the old games running well before release, and if there are issues, I feel that they would make the effort to try to fix the problems. I love Steam, but I definitely would choose GoG for older titles because of that extra effort they put into their service.

cicero

BoDVII and CSTW for only $3. Definitely a day one purchase for me. They should have bumped it up to $5 for both since the approval for Steam release originally was only for CSTW and they gave a $3 price back then too. I don't mind throwing small indie developers extra money directly, would be nice if you could buy it direct, even at an added cost, and then get a Steam code too.

Salsa

cicero said:
BoDVII and CSTW for only $3. Definitely a day one purchase for me. They should have bumped it up to $5 for both since the approval for Steam release originally was only for CSTW and they gave a $3 price back then too. I don't mind throwing small indie developers extra money directly, would be nice if you could buy it direct, even at an added cost, and then get a Steam code too.

i was ready to pay easily 5-10 bucks for each

that's way too low. Dont get me wrong, im thankful, but i hope they get some nice revenue out of it.

Echoplx

SalsaShark said:
i was ready to pay easily 5-10 bucks for each

that's way too low. Dont get me wrong, im thankful, but i hope they get some nice revenue out of it.

The entire pc porting project was funded by the community at kickstarter so they shouldn't be too out of pocket for this :p

Hixx

So I pre-loaded CoD and it finished. Was in my library. Had to reboot Steam to install an update and now CoD has disappeared. Nowhere to be found in the library... am I going to have to download it again??

Ledsen

1-D_FTW said:
Just finished SC: Conviction campaign. Aside from Baghdad, that was pretty good. I don't trust uplay any further than I can throw it and won't pay more than rental prices for their games, but it was definitely a good deal at 6.75.

You finished the campaign? Good. Now you start playing the real game.

1-D_FTW

Ledsen said:
You finished the campaign? Good. Now you start playing the real game.

Yeah. I played a little of the first mission yesterday. I'll definitely be getting some good mileage out of that mode. It took about 10 seconds of play for me to come to that realization. Glad you guys made a big deal of it before, because I never would have looked without the buzz.

Ledsen

1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. I played a little of the first mission yesterday. I'll definitely be getting some good mileage out of that mode. It took about 10 seconds of play for me to come to that realization. Glad you guys made a big deal of it before, because I never would have looked without the buzz.

Yeah, that's kind of the problem, it's a bit hidden away. Try to find someone to play with if you can, sadly I don't have the PC version.

stuminus3

EA slashing some prices today, Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition, Bulletstorm and Dead Space 2 have all dropped to $29.99. Which will be a nice starting point for when they all go on sale. :-D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
stuminus3 said:
EA slashing some prices today, Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition, Bulletstorm and Dead Space 2 have all dropped to $29.99. Which will be a nice starting point for when they all go on sale. :-D

Excellent. I saw DS2 retail PC for $24 at an EBGames a little while ago so I suspected MSRP was going to tumble soon.

1-D_FTW

stuminus3 said:

Heck, yeah. Even if DS2 only gets 66 off during the summer sale, that still takes it to the magic 10 dollar price point.

EDIT: I'll pick up all 3 at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom